Housekeepers and Items Like Guns, etc.

PDA

jakemccoy
August 6, 2009, 04:35 PM
I plan on getting a regular housekeeper. My biggest concern is having a stranger in the house. To anybody that has a housekeeper, I have few questions:

How has the arrangement worked out for you?

Do you prevent the housekeeper from going certain places, like your safe room?

How did you select your housekeeper?

How does the housekeeper get in the house?

How often?

Any other advice is appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Housekeepers and Items Like Guns, etc." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CoRoMo
August 6, 2009, 04:53 PM
Here's a thread over in S&T that was talking about this very thing.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=462507

I like the idea of hiring someone you already know to clean your house.

Shadow 7D
August 6, 2009, 05:46 PM
Very well covered in that thread, synopsis is

you are letting people into your house while you are not there = no control over what they do.

no control over who comes in ref 1

Large company means no control over who comes every week, no guarantee that the person you meet is the one who will come next week

and on and on

CWL
August 6, 2009, 06:22 PM
That was my posting, I'm choosing to keep on using them, but I have done a lot of homework & planning beforehand.

If you hire a service, better make sure that they are licensed and bonded, and have excellent BBB & personal references. (We get flyers and cards for cleaning services all the time, but they never provide a license# on them). You can also try online reviews like yelp.com to see if there are any comments. Next you will need to go out of the way to make sure that the access they have is only for the times they are visiting and you are not giving them your keys or alarm codes for other times. Lock up valuables that you don't want them to see.

Also drop in several times just so they know you can show up any time.

Where in N. CA do you live, Silicon Valley?

youngda9
August 6, 2009, 06:28 PM
My housekeeper was recommended from a friend.

When I am not at home all guns are in a safe.

Blackbeard
August 6, 2009, 09:39 PM
I've considered getting a maid service. If I ever do, I will first put a lock on the door where the safe and other gun stuff is, and let them know that room is not to be cleaned.

ishida
August 6, 2009, 10:03 PM
We just simply clean ourselves. Much more secure.

weisse52
August 6, 2009, 10:12 PM
My wife owned a cleaning business for 14 years.

Over that time I think we lost count of the number of times she got a call wanting her to clean because the "big" company had sent people who stole. The list of what was taken would fill a book.

Leaving your home to an unknown person is inviting theft. Now, not all companies are bad. It is just very hard to control all the staff.

Your only real option is getting a personal recommendation from a know person who is currently using that "person".

I say "person" because a long-term relationship with one person is truly the only way to ensure you house is cleaned and your possessions are safe as well.

Choose well…..

If you enjoyed reading about "Housekeepers and Items Like Guns, etc." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!