What is the BEST single shot 50 BMG AR upper?

PDA

MeekandMild
October 26, 2003, 09:59 AM
OK, guys, which one is the best and why? (Having arthritic shoulders, I'm not a 50 fan, except for .50 muzzle loaders. Just curious.)

If you enjoyed reading about "What is the BEST single shot 50 BMG AR upper?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hutch
October 26, 2003, 11:36 AM
Was gonna start a thread with my question, but I'll just hijack this 'un...:p It is related...

What sort of reputation does the Watson's Weapons AR-15 conversion upper have for accuracy? For those unfamiliar (as I was until Saturday), it is an AR15 upper with a shell-holder bolt that has to be threaded into the upper to put the gun in battery. Kinda weird. Shot it 2x, might get an opportunity to shoot it some more, but I really would like to know what others think of it. The current owner knows little/nothing about it, as he inherited it.

50 Shooter
October 26, 2003, 11:50 AM
If your worried about your shoulder get an AR-50, the felt recoil is about the same as a .243 rifle. I can shoot mine all day long and never feel it when I leave the range.

There are a few different .50 uppers here's the links.
www.watsonweapons.com Watson's
http://www.50bmg.net/index.html ALRS
www.ferret50.com Ferret
www.mmag.biz MMAG
www.ultramag50.com UM50

The ALRS won 1st place this year at the .50 championships in Raton for Hunter (bipod) class, I think it came in 2nd or 3rd in heavy class.

The Watty upper is the slowest to load, you have to "shotgun" the upper and unscrew the bolt to load/unload it. All of the other uppers are true bolt guns.

The MMAG isn't out yet but Mark Serbu (BFG Manufacturer) says very soon and I think there was one at the creek. The UM50 is almost out also, Walter was posting updates here but I think he's mostly posting them on Biggerhammer. The plus on the UM50 is that it has a 2 round mag.

The Ferret50 has gone thru a few design changes for the better, updated bolt, muzzle brake and the receiver has been lengthened so that a live round can be ejected easier.

uglygun
October 26, 2003, 01:05 PM
The MMAG looks like a hell of a deal for less than 1k dollars. Is it linked to the same folks who are making the Ultra Mag50? Looks a heck of a lot like a BFG50 only made into an upper assembly for the AR15, definitely shows signs of being linked to Mark Serbu(which is stated on the page). What type of accuracy/performance does that sucker deliver?

If that wasn't the one that I went with then the UltraMag 50 and the ALRS would be the top candidates for me. The ALRS is a heavy SOB from what I can gather but it is respected for being very accurate, combined with a good muzzle brake it probably won't be too bad as far as recoil goes. The UltraMag 50 looks lighter, especially considering the lighter profile barrel, it's main advantage in my eyes is that it's lighter and ofcourse it is a repeater, if it has the Mark Serbu shark brake it is said to be a very effective muzzle brake design but not having any means to compare I can't say anything.

MeekandMild
October 29, 2003, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the reply guys. .243 or 7.62X39 uppers would be more feasible for me (imagine how little kick a .243 would have with a recoil reducer) but I have always had an interest in looking at things I would never buy. I guess its sort of like window shopping for sports cars I'm too big to fit into to drive.

uglygun
October 29, 2003, 10:26 PM
A 243 Winchester upper would require an AR10, no way that a case based on the 308Winchester is going to fit into the confines of an AR15 magazine well.

AR10s are pretty plentiful and are offered in 243Winchester.

Unless you wanted something like the new 243WSSM, Olympic is supposedly working on both a 22WSSM as well as a 243WSSM for the AR15 but I'm fairly sure they use unique 10 round magazines specific to that round as well as an upper designed to work the WSSM cases.

El Rojo
October 29, 2003, 11:45 PM
Brining up the AR-50 is a good point and it got me thinking why not just spend the extra money and get a dedicated gun. Then I also started thinking, it is hard for the PRK DOJ to come knocking on your door if there ever comes a .50 BMG ban if you don't have a registered .50 BMG. In other words, the 4 day waiting period (AKA the time it takes it to ship to my door) on an AR upper that has no federal ties sure is a nice idea. Heck, I might have to get one just to have one for my neutered PRK legal FAB-10 that I will have here sooner or later.

If you enjoyed reading about "What is the BEST single shot 50 BMG AR upper?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!