Best Pocket Gun?

PDA

c-bag
October 26, 2003, 02:35 PM
Seems to me that a revolver, specificly a small 38. DAO, would make a better Coat-pocket gun than one of the mouse-gun automatics. It stands to reason that an automatic would fail to cycle if fired inside a pocket or in contact with the target and a pocket gun is for a extremely-close quarters fight that might deteriorate too fast to present from the pocket.

Do you agree or disagree: do you pocket carry; and if so what?

If you enjoyed reading about "Best Pocket Gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ChickenHawk
October 26, 2003, 02:44 PM
Sorry. I pocket carry my Kel-Tec P32 in my front pants pocket.

I don't care what kind of gun it is, I don't think I'll ever be firing a round from that location!

Cheers,
ChickenHawk

TheeBadOne
October 26, 2003, 02:51 PM
Kahr MK9/Glock 27

Mastrogiacomo
October 26, 2003, 03:13 PM
If I could carry, I'd go with a Glock 26, a Ruger GP 100 in a 3" or one of my Beretta compacts -- if it'd fit. Otherwise, I'd just go with the first two.

JERRY
October 26, 2003, 03:13 PM
depends on the pocket..............

in a coat pocket, concealed hammer titanium 2" 5 shot revolver.

in pants pocket, seecamp.

those are the best, though there are others based on personal preferences.......

mountainclmbr
October 26, 2003, 03:42 PM
I carry a Kahr MK40 in a front pocket. For shooting from in a jacket pocket I would worry about failure to cycle for a semi auto, but I would worry about a falling hammer catching on pocket material for an exposed hammer revolver. I personally don't have a shrouded hammer snubbie, but can see where it would have its place.

Hot brass
October 26, 2003, 03:50 PM
The one in your pocket.

Keith
October 26, 2003, 04:05 PM
A revolver won't function either, if the cylinder is bound up by fabric or in contact with a BG.
In fact you could make the argument that at least a semi would fire the first shot before being bound up. The revolver won't fire at all if the cylinder won't turn.

However, the question is moot since you aren't supposed to fire a gun from within your pocket (except on TV), and with a little weapons training and practice in retention techniques you shouldn't have to fire a gun in contact with an assailant either.

Keith

Doug S
October 26, 2003, 06:41 PM
The best pocket gun in my opinion is the Kel-Tec P32. There may be better carry guns in better calibers, but if you talking pocket carry, the P-32 is near impossible to beat.

BamBam
October 26, 2003, 06:42 PM
Kel-Tec P-3AT (.380) in one front pocket, a Kel-Tec P-32 in the other.
Odds are good that one will fire.

ChickenHawk
October 26, 2003, 09:01 PM
BamBam,

Where do you keep your keys and loose change? :D

Cheers!
ChickenHawk

AUTIGER04
October 26, 2003, 09:33 PM
Kel Tec P32 & P3- AT.

Hypnogator
October 26, 2003, 11:43 PM
For coat pocket carry, I prefer my S&W M-60 with it's hammer spur bobbed off. I can shoot it from a coat pocket by pointing it with my thumb riding over the top strap protecting the hammer.

Nowadays, I'd go for one of the new Centennial hammerless models.

For pants pocket carry, I prefer my Kel-Tec P-32 because of its flatness.

10-Ring
October 27, 2003, 01:18 AM
For pocket carry, I keep ending up w/ a j-frame revolver. Lately, it's been a 640 ;)

denfoote
October 27, 2003, 03:33 AM
My pocket/mouse gun is the Kahr MK-9. I have carried a Taurus M85 in the pocket, but have found that the auto is thinner and more managable.

Kentucky Rifle
October 27, 2003, 12:01 PM
I sometimes carry a Seecamp in a RJ Hedley "Front Pocket LE". It's the only front pocket holster I've ever owned that doesn't turn, move, or do anything else but keep the little auto in the proper orientation for a fast draw. (It's incredible that RJ sells holsters this nice for such a fair price. Go to his website and look.)
I wear jeans a lot. My brand is LL Bean (ahem...) "relaxed fit". A J-frame in my front pocket shows a little backstrap. The county prosecutor (Or dumb-butt as I like to call him), can construe this as "brandishing".

KR

PCRCCW
October 27, 2003, 12:06 PM
I beg to differ in some previous comments. I see great advantage to firing a gun from a coat pocket. To get a properly maintained revolver to bind its cylinder while in a coat pocket is next to nill in likelyhood. Especially if its been kept in a good pocket holster.

A hammerless/concealed hammer snub is perfect for this situation. What better situation could you PRAY for than to have your hand on a gun, ready to fire if you need to and NO ONE knows it.....no panicing the public, if the situations intensity decreases and you didnt have to draw...the better off you are.

I love auto's but my fav pocket gun is still a conc. hammer snub......

Shoot well..............

jercamp45
October 27, 2003, 06:33 PM
I have tried a few over the last couple of decades.......but by far the best I have found in terms of power and reliability is the airweight Jay frames!
Pocket holster, Yes. Magnum power? Ugh, if you want to put up with the recoil. I prefer plus p 38's that I can control alittle bit better.
The only other's that might come close is the small Nines, specifically the Kahr PM9.
Sorry, yes having a .32 or .380 is better than nothing...but when it gets nasty I want to have something with 'thump' and since we never now when life will turn nasty...I'll stick with the Jay as a BUG or pocket blaster. The .45 auto is my main CCW and it will remain so. I did try a AMT BackUp .45 for awhile as a pocket piece. Mine was reliable...but the trigger was HEAVY and it had no sights. The pice was heavy too, but the size of a PPK.......interesting concept...now sold......
The C6.45 LDA Carry is simpilar in concept but too big for the the pocket(trousers front, in pocket holster).
Yes...it is a very comforting feeling, having your hand on the piece ready to fire without anyone else being the wiser.
Jercamp45

NJ3
October 27, 2003, 07:00 PM
I sometimes carry a Seecamp in a RJ Hedley "Front Pocket LE". It's the only front pocket holster I've ever owned that doesn't turn, move, or do anything else but keep the little auto in the proper orientation for a fast draw. (It's incredible that RJ sells holsters this nice for such a fair price. Go to his website and look.)

:( I went to his website, it appears he's done making and selling holsters. He say's, "I may return."

Anything else out there that compares to RJ Hedley's work.

JoeHatley
October 27, 2003, 08:38 PM
Hard to go wrong with a Airweight Centennial....

http://www.iowatelecom.net/~hatley/642_2l.jpg

Joe

Safety First
October 27, 2003, 09:18 PM
Hopefully by next spring Kel-tec will work out some of the bugs in the new P-3at .380, and maybe by then the hard-chrome slide will be available. I think that is is the best answer to the "always there" pocket carry. At 10 oz loaded and under an inch thick there is nothing that comes close to comparing that kind of fire power. I know some will say the kahr is the way to go and for ccw I agree it is awsome, but I think it is a little heavy for pocket-carry, but others may disagree, so that may be another option you may want to research. But for me I will get the p3at by early spring unless the competition comes out with something as good or better. I had looked at one a couple of months ago but was turned off by the poor finish, but after a few comments on this board I think have decided the finish is no big deal after all. The key to me is research, look and handle the guns and if possible fire one before making the plunge..good luck...

Jaco
October 28, 2003, 02:20 AM
A local firearm magazine did some tests on firing through a coat pocket, and the only type of firearm that worked reliably was a snubby with a concealed or shrouded hammer. Anyone interested in the article, contact me.

Kentucky Rifle
October 28, 2003, 04:00 PM
Plus, 642's are on sale everywhere. I couldn't resist. It's the sale I was looking for. My first Centennial model, but definitely not my last.
There's something about my new 642 that lends itself to different hand positions. I like that. Anybody else notice the hand positon thing?

KR

M58
October 28, 2003, 07:20 PM
Now testing a M642 and PM9.
Both weight within one ounce of each other.
Going to be tough.
Carry both...:p

P.S. in the 60s we actually tested the Smith Bodyguards in raincoat pockets. They work, but get a new raincoat...shredded coat!:what:

natedog
October 28, 2003, 08:23 PM
Remember, the revolver's cylynder has to turn just to get the first shot off...if their is limited room in your pocket it may be difficult to get the cylinder to revolve properly.

Mr Jody Hudson
October 28, 2003, 08:51 PM
In my opinion, if I were to carry, in a pocket, it would be the Keltec P-11 in 9mm or the Keltec 3 A-T in .380. I have several other small pistols and I love all the ones I have. If the pocket is larger then I'd go with a Glock!

Mannlicher
October 28, 2003, 09:44 PM
Best pocket gun? 1911 Colts Combat Commander. All you need is a bigger pocket. Dress for success :D

Bainx
October 28, 2003, 10:00 PM
I'm curious about the notion of having a J-frame in a coat pocket for "instant-ready" but, I have a question.....do you in fact have the gun in a holster? If you do, how do you manipulate it out of the holster for ready firing inside of the coat pocket?

mini14jac
October 29, 2003, 08:43 AM
I carry in a front pants pocket, in a holster, so....
A. No, I won't be firing from there. :uhoh:
B. Couldn't get to the trigger because of the pocket holster anyway.
C. I carry a KelTec P3AT when it is not possible to carry the Kahr PM9.

If carrying in a coat pocket, the hammerless revolver would be a good idea. My wife has one, but it's her "house gun".
My only revo right now is a Colt Army Police. (Black Powder)

Keith
October 29, 2003, 01:22 PM
I see great advantage to firing a gun from a coat pocket.

Ever heard of "sights"?

Keith

sw442642
October 29, 2003, 06:15 PM
SW 642 - what else. Although my NAA 22S mini is a pocket rocket. ;)

I would like to hear of a real story of pocket firing carrying the day. I know one of an undercover office in the NYC subway. That's it.

JiminCA
October 29, 2003, 07:19 PM
When I first started carrying, a fellow I know who had carried for years told me that after I carried a while I'd realize that I needed a j-frame in my stable. A retired LAPD detective told me the same thing. Being a semi-auto nut I ignored them.

In CA our permit is good for 2 years, and you can have up to 3 guns on the permit by serial number. You have to qualify with the exact gun that is going on your permit. So selection is important because you have to requalify to put another gun on your permit.

My friends were were both right about the j-frame as a pocket gun. The first time I went to renew my permit I retired the Sig 230 (which is a fine gun BTW but underpowered and too big for pocket service) and replaced it with a S&W 442. Still use a 1911 for day to day, but for a quick trip out or under certain concealment restrictions, there's no beating slipping that little j-frame in my pocket. It rides in a Sparks PCH holster.

If I was buying it today I'd get a 642 so I wouldn't have to worry about the finish. Skip the magnums - good +P .38 will get the job done and you can actually hit something with it. Whatever you get don't have a hammer hanging out where it will hang up on the draw. I put a set of Hogue fingergroove wood grips on it which gave my pinky a home and made the gun point lower (which is perfect for me).

If you have a concern about the gun firing from a pocket, I'd suggest a visit to a yard sale to acquire a couple of ratty coats for testing. It is not a concern of mine because the gun is riding in a holster and it has to come out to rid itself of the holster.

It strikes me that there are a number of comments here from people who haven't carried before. Sift through and decide accordingly.

BTW Kentucky Rifle above mentions different hand positions being possible on the 642. He is right. Note that a different hand position will change your POI. A little testing will bear this out. That is one of the reasons I put on the Hogue grips. My hand position is now more consistent and as such my POI is consistent.

You need to test these guns with a number of loads to get POA/POI where it needs to be. Mine works best for me with the HydraShock 129 grain loads. YMMV according to your particular gun, grip, and shooting style. Whatever you do, by all means, TEST it out so you KNOW it will work. These little guns do require some practice to shoot consistently.

Jeff OTMG
October 29, 2003, 08:42 PM
I have a few guns that I use for pocket carry, but it does depend on what kind of pocket. A Seecamp .32 is for slacks, the Kahr P9 Covert can be carried in a little heavier pair of pants, the Kahr P40 Covert works in jeans, and a S&W 342PD is for light shorts. I have even carried a Glock 27 in the patch pocket of a pair of cargo shorts. When my Rohrbaugh gets here I don't know what will happen, I am almost thinking that it will replace the Seecamp.

surfinUSA
October 29, 2003, 08:56 PM
Colt DS in a pocket holster. Always there always workin.

CZ52GUY
October 30, 2003, 12:28 PM
Mak'

makarov1989
October 30, 2003, 12:49 PM
I don't think a better coat pocket gun was ever made than the S&W 642! It can be fired from inside a coat pocket unlike all semi-auto pistols so it wins hands down. No auto can even be considered to be the best pocket gun while there are hammerless snubbies out there.:D

I wish I had spent the extra cahs and got the Titanium version but my 642 is pretty good also. I would just love to have a 11oz gun instead of a 15oz gun. It wouldn't drag down my coat pocket as much and I am not really recoil sensitive so I wouldn't mind the extra kick. I just didn't want to pay twice as much for 4 less ozs.:what:

Zip06
October 30, 2003, 02:31 PM
I agree that the J-frame is excellent as a pocket pistol. My 442 and its Kramer pocket holster are a great combination. My problem is that the J-frame is very difficult for me to shoot well. At very short distances the 442 is just superb but at distances beyond 10 yards the accuracy drops off fast. I wish my Makarov or Glock 26 was as easy to carry in a pocket. Guess I need to buy more ammo for the 442 and hit the range.

MrPink
October 30, 2003, 02:55 PM
S&W Centennial 340PD for me. Loaded with lite 357s - even then its a handfull - or 38s is always an option. The lightest & most powerful Centennial. Works for either a pants pocket or jacket pocket.

I have a minty Walther TPH (german manufacture) that I thought of carrying, but it is in such great shape, I can't bear to. tiny little gun though.

pistolwhipped
October 31, 2003, 11:10 AM
M642
PM9
KT P40
All work for me.

jeepmor
October 11, 2007, 05:02 PM
Remember, the revolver's cylynder has to turn just to get the first shot off...if their is limited room in your pocket it may be difficult to get the cylinder to revolve properly.

And if it doesn't turn at all, it fires the round in the current unturned hole.

Owens
October 11, 2007, 05:47 PM
Bersa Thunder .380 (ok...I got big pockets). Aside from that, what you are carrying at the time.

romeo212000
October 11, 2007, 06:05 PM
I love my Keltec. SHoots dead center where you aim it and hasnt failed yet.

meef
October 11, 2007, 06:14 PM
This just in....

Jimmy Carter defeated by Ronald Reagan for Presidency of the United States.

Details at eleven.

romeo212000
October 11, 2007, 07:11 PM
Thanks smart alec. I just posted because it was up there. Didnt pay attention to the date but way to call attention to it.

NCHornet
October 11, 2007, 09:52 PM
Wow somebody went digging for this one didn't they? I too have several choices when it comes to pocket carry. For me my J frame is okay in a coat pocket, but really folks in a pair of pants it looks like you have a tennis ball in your pocket. No thanks, for pant pocket carry I will take one of the twins!!

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q32/NCHornet/guardian380.jpg

ArchAngelCD
October 11, 2007, 11:06 PM
S&W M638 in the front pocket, a Kel-Tec P-32 in the back pocket!

MCgunner
October 11, 2007, 11:08 PM
I carry a P11, but am lookin' at adding to my battery with a P3AT soon. I don't worry about firing from a coat pocket. I wear a coat maybe twice a winter and never carry in it. This is south TEXAS! Coat? What's a coat?

tegemu
October 13, 2007, 10:34 AM
Regardless of the garment, I pocket carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II, .45ACP, in a Sam Andrews www.andrewsleather.com pocket holster. It can be drawn and fired just as fast as shooting through the pocket.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best Pocket Gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!