The Elusive .380

PDA

DAdams
August 11, 2009, 02:33 PM
Although I have a few boxes on hand manufactured by various vendors I thought just for the heck of it I would see if the elusive .380 was still elusive.
I really only want Speer Gold Dot, as I know it will run in my BERSA (eats anything) and Seecamp LWS.

Both these irons need some exercise.

Midway says it has some coming in around September 7th so I ordered two boxes just to float a trial balloon. Price was ok.

Hornady and CORBON were out there in October or November.
I think GS maybe was available, but I have plenty of the 102 gr already.

We shall see.

If you enjoyed reading about "The Elusive .380" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
AJChenMPH
August 11, 2009, 02:45 PM
Yeah, I'm having trouble finding the stuff myself, especially at Cabelas (I know, I know -- not the best place, but for FMJ for practice, they have the best price I've found so far for PMC Bronze).

Col. Plink
August 11, 2009, 03:06 PM
If you want I can keep an eye out as I make my checks around (have had some luck getting Prvi Partizan at reasonable prices). Let me know as it's not a usual purchase for me.

Thx!

Wolfpack43
August 11, 2009, 03:21 PM
If you want to feed the "Hoard Machine" you can find it on Gunbroker. I personally do not need it bad enough to make the hoarders feel like they have done the right thing.

I was in Cabelas about 3 months ago and watched a guy buy every box of .32 and .380 they had. When he was asked about shooting he replied that he did not even own a gun chambered in either of these. He was doing it to make some quick cash.

searcher451
August 11, 2009, 03:22 PM
I ran into a 50-round box of Remington FMJ target ammo about three weeks ago at a WallyWorld in the eastern part of the state; it was the first .380 of any stripe that I've seen anywhere on anyone's shelf since last December and a hell of good surprise. Sadly, I've seen none since, though I always ask.

Landpimp
August 11, 2009, 03:25 PM
odd how all the 380ACP went away....for some reason a few years back I bought 1000rds of it....at the time I was "why" now I know

blkbrd666
August 11, 2009, 03:26 PM
Ah yes, .380...I remember back when they used to make that caliber. I'm startin' to feel old.

nitetrane98
August 11, 2009, 03:36 PM
I asked my FFL the other day if there would ever be .380 on the shelf again. He said that actually he was supposed to be getting in 6 boxes of some kind of SD .380. I said, "what about the plinking stuff?" He said you're guess is as good as mine. It's really strange. He's reasonable on his prices and his shelves are fully stocked except this glaring hole where .380 used to live.

DAdams
August 11, 2009, 04:13 PM
Three years ago I could find it at most of my 3 local gun shops. Ball and JHP. I don't recall the WalMarts in my area of FL ever stocking it.

At that time the only thing I couldn't readily find was the COR BON DPX.

Midway says they will have it (SGD) and are "accepting orders" albeit backorder.
At 18.49 plus about 4.50 per box shipping I will take it. Shoot 14 keep 26 back.

W L Johnson
August 11, 2009, 04:13 PM
You must have missed the Heads up thread on this

Still in stock (at this moment) at Midwayusa at 15.99 per box, limit 4 boxes
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=283576

At least this will give you something to shot until then.

DAdams
August 11, 2009, 04:33 PM
WLJ thanks for the heads up on the Privi. Has anyone run this?

I wouldn't have any trouble using it in the BT, which will ingest and spit out about anything. I have a couple of boxes of ball. What I am seeking specifically is the SGD, for the Seecamp, which is a bit persnickity and runs it the best mechanically and accuracy wise.

T Slothrop
August 11, 2009, 04:56 PM
WLJ thanks for the heads up on the Privi. Has anyone run this?

I wouldn't have any trouble using it in the BT, which will ingest and spit out about anything. I have a couple of boxes of ball. What I am seeking specifically is the SGD, for the Seecamp, which is a bit persnickity and runs it the best mechanically and accuracy wise.
My Bersa eats it with no complaints. It's a bit on the dirty side, but it works.

rondog
August 11, 2009, 05:02 PM
I was in Cabelas about 3 months ago and watched a guy buy every box of .32 and .380 they had. When he was asked about shooting he replied that he did not even own a gun chambered in either of these. He was doing it to make some quick cash.

That's no different than ticket scalping, IMO, and should be just as illegal.

KBintheSLC
August 11, 2009, 05:27 PM
Looks like Double Tap Ammo has 380 instock. Both JHP and FMJ. I have always liked DT's ammo quality.

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_62&osCsid=mr6nrebfiefbu8v1hm7tbbols6

Lakeshore
August 11, 2009, 05:43 PM
Why has there been such a huge demand for .380? I understand that there are scads of pocket guns (LCP, P3AT etc.) out there but those seemingly don't get a lot of firing range usage and .380 isn't exactly in heavy demand by the military.

W L Johnson
August 11, 2009, 05:54 PM
.380 isn't exactly in heavy demand by the military
No, but 9mm is, and I have been told that it is made on the same machinery, or so I have been told. Can anyone confirm this?

Indiana Jon
August 11, 2009, 06:37 PM
I was in Prescott AZ on vacation a few months ago, stopped in a local gun shop to look around. I said to the guy behind the counter, "I suppose you're out of .380 like everyone else". He reached up on a shelf behind the counter and brought out a box of 50 handloads, with Hornady hollowpoints. Bought them for $40. So, if you get tired of checking the big box stores, you might have better luck in the small privately owned gun shops.

Flea
August 11, 2009, 07:08 PM
If anyone is around the central Kentucky area, Bud's in Lexington had quite a few boxes on the shelf for around $25 a piece not too long ago.

unspellable
August 11, 2009, 09:46 PM
<< No, but 9mm is, and I have been told that it is made on the machinery, or so I have been told. Can anyone confirm this? >>

Met the Federal rep the other day. He confirmed this, said the 380 is put up on the same line as the 9 mm and in the current situation they don't dare stop the 9 mm production long enough to set up for 380. He figures that between one thing and another it will be about two years before the shortage eases up.

W L Johnson
August 11, 2009, 10:32 PM
Thanks for confirming that.
note: reading your reply I realized I left out the word "same" before machinery.
2nd note: I messed up that whole sentence, but you know what I mean.

Drgong
August 11, 2009, 10:55 PM
A man/women with some capital could make some good money getting into the Ammo business right now.

orionengnr
August 11, 2009, 11:00 PM
He reached up on a shelf behind the counter and brought out a box of 50 handloads, with Hornady hollowpoints. Bought them for $40.
There is no way I would buy and shoot someone else's handloads, especially at that price.

I did just the other night order four boxes of the Prvi Partizan .380 from Midway. I received notification that it is in the mail as of this morning.

theotherwaldo
August 11, 2009, 11:13 PM
I'm down to loading my own.

And I only have one .380

And it's an AMT Backup that likes Cor-Bon.

So you can see that I'm scraping the bottom.

Maia007
August 12, 2009, 12:45 AM
I am getting it locally for about $14/box for common Rem FMJ. It comes around about once a month and inventory lasts a couple days at my local Pacific Northwest chain-variety store (Bi-Mart). It is still somewhat scarce but not impossible. Most other calibers are more readily available. We are starting to get out of the woods here with the ammo shortage.

Today I found: .38, .357, .40, .45 and lots of .223. 9mm comes around pretty often. Like last week.

.22, .32 and .380 less so.

W L Johnson
August 12, 2009, 12:49 AM
it will be about two years before the shortage eases up.
I feel better already :rolleyes:

WLE
August 12, 2009, 12:55 AM
As much as we are all experiencing some short comings on available ammo the good side to it all is that more and more people are engaging into hand gun ownership. got to love it.

MikeS.
August 12, 2009, 01:17 AM
Bought an LCP started loading my own. No shortage here.

DAdams
August 12, 2009, 10:25 AM
I have four emails out for JHP, notification:

SGD and Hornady that is all I will accept (recommended by Seecamp), they also recommend Winchester Silvertips, and I think I tried some Golden Sabre and it ran ok but key holed.

unspellable
August 12, 2009, 07:47 PM
If some one wanted to go into the ammo business in a serious way they'd have the same problem Federal et al have.

Federal is running their lines 24/7. One presumes the same at Remchester. They would like to add new lines, but what do you do with them after two years when the shortage eases up? Hard to get the bean counters to go along with it.

I suspect some of the small seller calibers won't come back unless ammo sales really slow down a lot.

Glockman17366
August 12, 2009, 08:11 PM
I picked up a box of 50 rounds today (12 Aug 2009) in fact. It was Serbian made FMJ. Price was $21 and change (after taxes). This box, and a box and a half of Hornady Critical Defense (nice ammo, btw!!) now gives me about 90 rounds.
I feel privileged!

Marlin 45 carbine
August 12, 2009, 08:14 PM
priced any of the Federal 'X-treme Performance' lately?
box of 20 is 25$$. the cheapest can be found.

m2steven
August 13, 2009, 01:23 PM
I just received 5 boxes of Prvi ammo I ordered last thursday or friday when someone posted a HOT TIP here last week. I also have a box of PMC ammo leftover from an order of 4 or 5 i placed a few weeks ago. It seems that it's coming in now little by little.

VeggieH
August 13, 2009, 02:05 PM
I have been trading WWB 9mm luger straight up for white box winchester .380.I just bought the wife the LCP and need to fill up quota been seeing it for $17.99 per 50 local when they have it..

Phydeaux642
August 13, 2009, 11:27 PM
I thought about buying a Sig P238, but have decided against it. I can't see myself scrounging around for ammo when I can carry my 642 or some sort of 9mm and pay less for ammo. I have a P32 I purchased in 2007 and wouldn't have bought it if I would have known that .32acp would be so hard to come by. Oh well, I have it, so, I guess I'll keep it.

As much as we are all experiencing some short comings on available ammo the good side to it all is that more and more people are engaging into hand gun ownership.

That's not always the case. A lot of the ammo that is in short supply has been bought up by folks that do nothing but turn around and sell at gun shows after buying it at Wally World.

AJChenMPH
August 13, 2009, 11:45 PM
Just backordered PMC Bronze at Cabelas...let's see how long it takes for me to get it! Cabelas is saying 4-5 weeks...

At this point, I don't have much of a choice in buying .380. My weapon (Browning BDA-380) was inherited from my dad, and given NJ's crazy permit-to-purchase system, I'm not really in a position to buy a new 9mm anytime soon (although I'm definitely jones-ing for one)...

Low Budget Shooter
August 14, 2009, 05:34 PM
My shooting buddy and I just bought a bullet mold and are going to be casting and reloading to keep his SIG .380 fed. Just gotta make sure to find every piece of the little brass!

AMBASSADOR
August 14, 2009, 05:53 PM
Natchez has CCI BLAZER BRASS 95grn FMJ for $19:00 a box. 5 boxes per order.

Byron
August 14, 2009, 06:57 PM
Natchez will not deliver to TN,GA or AL even though they are located in Tn on the GA line. Byron

doc2rn
August 14, 2009, 07:19 PM
It's no longer elusive if you know where to get it. Our local Bailbondsman got a production liscence and is happy to make you as much as your pea pickin heart pleases, often in your favorite recipe.

hmphargh
August 14, 2009, 09:16 PM
The Wal-mart I frequent gets about 6 100rd Winchester White Boxes a week. I recently talked to the employee that seems to work the hunting and fishing counter most of the time and he told me when the shipments come in. It has only been 3 weeks, but it seems to be coming in consistently, and don't worry, I'm only buying 1 box at a time, no reason to make the hoarding any worse. Price is ~$30/box out the door FWIW.

DAdams
August 14, 2009, 10:36 PM
It's no longer elusive if you know where to get it. Our local Bailbondsman got a production liscence and is happy to make you as much as your pea pickin heart pleases, often in your favorite recipe.

Alrighty then. :cool:

earlthegoat2
August 14, 2009, 11:23 PM
Its the Wonder 380.

Advice: Buy a 9mm Luger.

The 380 Cartridge filled a CCW void at precisely the time when ammo decided to become scarce (read: election).

Not a big deal to me as I only mess with 38s and 9x19. The only 380s I am interested in arent fashionable these days anyway as they will not fit in your pocket.

If you enjoyed reading about "The Elusive .380" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!