Considering Moving, Like to Learn about Bend Shooting Range in Oregon

PDA

Evergreen
August 13, 2009, 06:04 AM
I am planning on moving to maybe this month and was considering moving possibly to Bend, Oregon. I would like to learn more about the shooting range up there. Does anyone here have any information about joining and whether they accept new members? Also, can people tell me their opinions about the range. I am a member of Tri-County, but won't be able to use it if I leave the area. I see the fees for joining the club are quite low and the fact it has a 1,000 yard range looks pretty desirable. I like to hear what people have to say about it. If anyone here might be able to help me become a member if I move to Bend, by showing me the range or connecting me with the right person I'd appreciate that too. Some of these ranges are hard to contact the owners. How far is the range driving from Bend? Is it not a problem getting to the range during the winter with snow?

If you enjoyed reading about "Considering Moving, Like to Learn about Bend Shooting Range in Oregon" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jnyork
August 13, 2009, 11:22 AM
I am a former member of that range, it is a very nice facility and an active club with lots of scheduled activities. You'll be happy. Here's your contact:

COSSA- Central Oregon Shooting Sports Assn., P.O. Box 1606, Bend, OR 97709.
Phone: 541-548-5566
Facilities include: Outdoor Pistol (0 to 100 yds), Outdoor Rifle (0 to 1000 yds), Rifle Silhouette, Pistol Silhouette, Muzzleloading
Range Access: Public
Web Site: www.oregonshooting.com
Email: willejeep@aol.com

MountainBear
August 13, 2009, 05:28 PM
Its about 20 miles or so east of bend on a main highway, so snow isn't usually a problem, so long as you're used to driving in it. I've heard the COSSA range is pretty nice, although I've never bothered to join. There are several places closer where you can shoot for free (USFS cinder pits and the like). There's even a public 100 yard range right by the COSSA range. Unless you are wanting to compete or shoot the 1000 yard range, it might behoove you to check out alternatives before spending the money (although, it is a good club from what I've heard).

Bend is a unique place in that we have lots of options for public land shooting close to town.

OregonJohnny
August 13, 2009, 07:05 PM
Central Oregon is a casual plinker's paradise! If you head out of Bend east on HWY 20 for about 20-40 minutes, you're surrounded by open desert and BLM land with 500-1,000 yard shots into natural hillside backstops. I live near Portland, so the closest "free" plinking is Tillamook State Forest, about a 1-hour drive each way, and you never have a safe shot beyond about 75 yards because of the thick forests, uneven terrain, and winding logging roads. But if I lived anywhere near Bend, I'd be out shooting on open BLM land every chance I got. No need to join a club out there unless you're interested in competing.

Evergreen
August 14, 2009, 03:31 AM
WOW.. Some great news from everyone here. Happy to hear all of this. I talked with one of the guys who runs the club. It is dirt cheap and has many of the same options, if not more, than Tri-County and I think for the price, why not join? It would be nice to go to competitions and meet others shooters from the area. But, I do love sound of being able to drive out in the country and freely shoot. Where I live now, there is so many houses and trees and people living and trashing the woods, that its really not very feasible. Thanks for the input. I will have to do some research on the BLM lands and finding places to shoot on them. Also, those free shooting places near town also sound desirable. Once I get situation I will try to pinpoint each of the places and try to do some shooting at each spot. I feel like I will be spoiled, compared to where I am now.

I am also looking forward to some sunshine.. ITs August and still raining :cool:

searcher451
August 14, 2009, 07:07 PM
Oregon is a great place to live, Central Oregon is a wonderful place to live, and the state overall is gun-friendly. The summers in the bend area are just about perfect. It's cold in the winter, but it's also sunny much of the time. And as has been stated, there are plenty of places to shoot outside of town, if you decide not to join a range (no reason not to, of course, but options exist). You can do a lot worse than oregon, and not many places are a lot better, IMO.

SleepyDave
April 25, 2010, 03:19 PM
Awesome, my first serious post is a necropost.

Anyways, my wife just got one of her two guns back, and I just bought a shotgun, and we plan on going shooting fairly often. We live in Bend (near Downtown), and are wondering what some of the best places to shoot around Bend are, not including ranges. Someone mentioned a USFS gravel pit, but I have no idea where that is.

So, does anyone have directions, or maybe even GPS coordinates?

searcher451
April 25, 2010, 05:17 PM
The pit in question is probably the one that's out on China Hat Road. If you Google-map the area, you can actually see the place.

Maybe this will help:

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-325.html

If you enjoyed reading about "Considering Moving, Like to Learn about Bend Shooting Range in Oregon" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!