Corbon DPX

PDA

GunLvrNLearner
August 13, 2009, 01:21 PM
I know it is expensive but everyone praises it but i have never ever seen it in ANY store

Does anyone use it?use it exclusively?what caliber handgun?

Where do you get Corbon DPX and who has the best price?

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Corbon DPX" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HardShell
August 13, 2009, 01:25 PM
The only caliber I use it in is .380, and that only because it was developed specifically with the P3AT (my AD/ED pocket-gun/bug) in mind.

No idea who has it in stock right now, let alone who has he best price. I bought a bunch way back when Midway had it in stock, and I picked up a few boxes the other day at a large local store at a ridiculously inflated price, just because it was the first I've seen on the shelves at all in a long time. :(

1KPerDay
August 13, 2009, 01:53 PM
I got a box of it (.380) at Cabela's for about a dollar and a half a pop. Haven't shot any of it yet... but the reports I've read look to be about as good as .380 gets, IMO.

glocks rock
August 13, 2009, 03:06 PM
One of my friends went to a demo. by a factory rep. and was impressed. The rep put it up against Fed HST, Win. Ranger , and Speer GD. The Ranger and HST performed good but the GD's didn't perform as well as he thought they would. The DPX performed the same in every cal.(38,9mm,40,and 45), full expansion. I wouldn't consider them better than HST's or Rangers but certainly just as good. The only thing I don't like about the DPX is the light weight in the 45 cal. I guess I'm just stuck on the 230gr. bullets.I carry them in my 9mm and 40cals. ,but I like the 230gr. Rangers for my 45's.

BTW the test was performed with ballistic gelitan covered with denem .

mfcmb
August 13, 2009, 03:14 PM
I use it in my .45 ACP Springfield XD, but not in my 9mm Kahr CW9 where it doesn't feed reliably.

Had to buy it online. Was about a year ago. Don't recall where.

smogmage
August 13, 2009, 03:45 PM
I use them in my glock 23 for ccw. I know 140grn is alittle on the light side but it helps to lessen my concerns about over-penetrating some scrawny little thug.

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com should always have them there.... mainly because they aren't cheap.

Madcap_Magician
August 13, 2009, 04:23 PM
I carried it in .38 Special. Still use it in my BUG. I figure with such a slow round from a snubbie, I want as much weight retention and expansion as possible.

hardluk1
August 13, 2009, 06:37 PM
Check with Federal , they also load the same bullet but with another letter grouping and works the same. They do cost more but if your gun will feed them you will not be shooting that much of them a year, right. Pratice with cheap stuff fire a few rounds of the good stuff after you know it will feed them and it does not cost much. If caliber is 9mm and under check out hornady critical defence . This also a good round but down make it for the big bores. Oh , i love the X bullet in a revolver ,great hunting round too.

Seven For Sure
August 13, 2009, 09:44 PM
They're light because the bullets are long for weight. I get Federal 140's in 357mag and DT 155's in 10mm, don't like going lighter in either caliber with any bullet anyway. Barnes is a good bullet.

Shadan7
August 13, 2009, 09:54 PM
After conducting our tests, I'm a believer. I've switched over to the DPX ammo for my carry guns, for the most part, though I think all of the premium SD ammo is pretty good.

Jim D.

kanewpadle
August 14, 2009, 12:14 AM
I'm also a believer. Use it in 9MM, 38 Spl, 40SW, 45 ACP and 357. I am aware of a few police shootings where it worked very well.

hardluk1
August 14, 2009, 10:51 AM
Did not know any police used barnes x But it did start some years back as a hunting bullet and works great on deer or soft skined game . Changed the name abit and now a defence round.

GunLvrNLearner
August 14, 2009, 11:30 AM
AmmunitonToGo doesn't appear to carry DPX anymore,who online has it? Thanks

Air,Land&Sea
August 14, 2009, 11:46 AM
125 gr. .357. It's somewhat mid-powered which is perfect for a steel snubbie.

saltydog452
August 14, 2009, 12:02 PM
It was not reliable in a BHP that has a history of reliability with 115 and 124 grain ammunition.

salty

hardluk1
August 14, 2009, 12:10 PM
Federal loads this same bullet but only in typical hunting calibers for handguns and goes by Vita-Shock. Still the barnes X bullet. What they do offer is typicaly heavier grain bullets then corbon.

Yo Mama
August 14, 2009, 12:19 PM
Corbon, Federal, Remington, Winchester, and Speer all make premium hollow points for defense. I'd feel comfortable with any of them, but make sure they are relyable in your gun.

hardluk1
August 14, 2009, 12:52 PM
Most still make and sell some junk too. The tread was about the corbon and the "X" bullet

deercop
August 14, 2009, 03:23 PM
I bought two boxes of 9mm DPX in a gunstore in Decatur yesterday.

Dr_2_B
August 14, 2009, 03:42 PM
I use them in my 380. Good luck finding them.

MICHAEL T
August 14, 2009, 09:12 PM
Have in 380 and 45 acp in all my carry pistols

can't find anywhere order it direct from them

DAVIDSDIVAD
August 14, 2009, 11:35 PM
I use them in my 1911 because they shoot like a laser.

They are simply more accurate in my gun than any other load.

rc
August 19, 2009, 12:18 AM
Midway has the DPX in stock.

EHL
August 19, 2009, 12:36 AM
I haven't seen them around for awhile. The ones that have them are expensive though. It is a great bullet though. I carry them in all of my calibers. Although in 45acp I prefer the now extinct Taurus Hex bullets. Much better bullet IMHO.

chieftain
August 19, 2009, 04:20 AM
It was not reliable in a BHP that has a history of reliability with 115 and 124 grain ammunition.

I carry them in both my Custom Browning highpower's and my non-custom FN Highpower. Nary a problem. I find them stone reliable.

Go figure.

Fred

PhrankKastle
August 19, 2009, 10:50 AM
I carry gold dots in all my carry guns except the 45 colt which is loaded with the corbon dpx for c/c and corbon hunter for field carry.

I think the last time I ordered it was from CTD or Midway but it's been awhile since I had to look for any.

WRGADog
August 21, 2009, 09:45 PM
185 grain JHP.

chieftain
August 22, 2009, 12:30 AM
Interesting, I do just the opposite.

As stated above, I use the DPX for 9mm and 230 grain Gold dots for my 45acp carry load.

I believe in 115/124 for 9mm and 200/230 for 45acp, as designed.

Just as I prefer my guns, in the caliber they were originally designed.

Fred

orionengnr
August 22, 2009, 11:46 AM
I have DPX in .380, 9mm, 45acp and 45LC.
If I can find some in .41 Mag, I'll buy that too.

rhinoh
August 22, 2009, 12:25 PM
Midway has the DPX in stock.

Midway has some DPX in stock.

I ordered some direct from Corbon* in .380, everywhere I've seen it online it is backordered until the end of November or some such nonsense. They must make it in batches because everyone with an arrival date is within a few days of each other.
I like the DPX and figure there will be a big run on it if the National Park carry goes into effect and if they don't allow lead ammo, meaning all copper bullets will get real hard to find for awhile....

*https://www.dakotaammo.net/shop/product_info.php?products_id=257

jbrown50
August 22, 2009, 11:27 PM
I keep the 125 gr. .357 Magnum DPX loaded into my S&W M&P 360. It's a midrange load so the recoil is tolerable in my light little revolver. They're also accurate and shoot very close to point of aim out to 15 yards.

I also keep the 115 gr. 9mm DPX loaded into my Kahr PM9. They're reliable in that gun, very accurate and the recoil is surprisingly light for a +P round.

The DPX is expensive but I really like the consistent performance through obstacles. For practice 130 gr. 38 special FMJ and 115 gr. 9mm FMJ shoot to the same POA respectively out of my guns.

If you enjoyed reading about "Corbon DPX" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!