Anyone else powering down?

PDA

jimmyraythomason
August 14, 2009, 12:38 PM
I have been hunting since I was big enough to follow dad around in the squirrel woods. I hunted small game until the re-introduction in Alabama of whitetail deer in the late 1960s. For years I HAD to have the biggest gun with the biggest scope I could afford,which turned out to be a Remington 700ADL,(cost $154 new at Western Auto)in 30.06. Since then there have been several 7mm Rem mags, .300 Win.Mag. and even a .300 Weatherby mag. I have since learned that, I ain't hunting Elk or Moose or big bears, I'm hunting deer. Our deer aren't armor plated as they are in other parts of the country. I'm older now and find that I don't need an "earginsplittinloudenboomer" to fill the freezer so I'm powering down. Hereafter my deer rifles will be in .308,7mm Mauser, 30-30 and soon to be a .257 Roberts and even a 7.62x39. Anybody else ditching the magnumitis itch in favor of less torturous calibers?.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone else powering down?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TXHORNS
August 14, 2009, 12:48 PM
Yup, there is something to say about a 257 or 25-06. For some reason it is more rewarding to me shooting those calibers. It all started when i went from a 12 gauge to a 20 gauge.

.45Guy
August 14, 2009, 12:54 PM
I never really had the magnumitis. I've used .35WSL, .35 Remington, .32 Remington, .30 Remington, .30-30, .30 carbine, and .270 on occasion.

mgmorden
August 14, 2009, 01:11 PM
Never really had magnumitus here either. I started with .30-06 and have gradually moved down - .30-30, .257 Robers, 6.5x55, .308 Win, etc. I do kinda want a .375 H&H but not to really hunt anything with - just interested in having one :).

That said, I've never actually met anyone in person with "magnumitus". If anything I see people trying to shoot deer with too small a bullet (.223, or even some using .204 Ruger now) rather than too big. I think the whole magnumitus thing may be more legend than reality for many. It gives us something to point and laugh at. I've even seen in other forums where people will repeatedly claim a darned near universally accepted opinion as being unpopular (ie, is .270 big enough for deer for example). People often want to play the role of the persecuted minority while expressing the majority opinion :). You see it on other forums too. People will say something like "I know I'll get flamed and modded down for saying this, but ice cream tastes better cold.". :p

jimmyraythomason
August 14, 2009, 01:27 PM
Magnumitis is a real condition,it's just that those who suffer from it are unaware of it.

3pairs12
August 14, 2009, 01:34 PM
This year I may develop a little magnumitis, I recently got a .264 win mag Finnbear. I want to use it at least once over the course of deer season. I typically hunt with 30-06 308 and .243 if not archery hunting.

RoostRider
August 14, 2009, 01:37 PM
I never fell into that crowd (The Magnum Boys).... I started hunting large game with a 303 British, moved to the 30-30 for ease of carry (light and short), picked up a .308 after a while... but I have even been known to carry nothing more than a .357 in the deep brush (granted, it's a 'magnum', but not by rifle standards)

Floppy_D
August 14, 2009, 01:39 PM
I love my 30-06, there isn't much it won't do. I do really want a .243, that's my next bolt gun.

DammitBoy
August 14, 2009, 01:40 PM
I hunt deer and hogs in Alabama and you don't need anything more than .243 to take those animals. Using anything else is just wasting lead and powder IMO...

dakotasin
August 14, 2009, 01:42 PM
i hunt w/ whatever speaks to me in the morning... sometimes it is a magnum, sometimes not. i do hunt elk, and bears, in addition to mule deer and whitetail deer.

so... if i hunt w/ a 338 win mag, and that makes me have 'magnumitis', then so be it. however, why is a 25-06 user not ridiculed for having magnumitis? is it just the 'magnum' moniker? powder cap-to-bore size demands a 25-06 be called a magnum... and the 25-06 is much more of a 'magnum' than a 338 win mag... is it bore size? so, is a 240 weatherby user mocked?

at any rate, doesn't matter to me - i shoot all of my rifles, and i shoot them all a lot, and that includes my 'magnums'... really, i don't strategize about what gun i hunt w/. i grab whatever looks like it needs attention, and head out.

ArmedBear
August 14, 2009, 01:56 PM
I notice you guys are from places where 100 yards is a long way, and mid-size deer are as big as your quarry gets.

My .30-06 is my official "hunting rifle" currently, but if I do go bigger or faster next season, it's not because I have "magnumitis."

When 300 yards is a close shot, or you're hunting moose, a flat shooter or a heavy bullet called "Magnum" aren't inappropriate.

jimmyraythomason
August 14, 2009, 01:57 PM
Easy dakotasin. Nobody is being ridiculed for having magnumitis simply for hunting with a magnum. Magnumitis is the irrational belief that only a magnum caliber is capable of taking game. The belief that anyone hunting with traditional non-magnum calibers are undergunned. I know I once suffered from it. I still have magnum caliber rifles and hope to get to hunt something that requires the extra umph. In the meantime they will stay put up along with my three 30.06s and my .280 Remington which are also more than needed.

jimmyraythomason
August 14, 2009, 02:06 PM
Mid-sized deer? ArmedBear you can't be talking about Alabama whitetail deer. While definitely not the norm 200-250+ lb bucks aren't unheard of. I personally know of one buck taken about 15 miles from me that weighed 360 pounds(not field dressed) on a certified scale. It's muzzle is 4'' across. My friend who killed it said he took it out of a group of five that were identical to it. Shot range depends on where you hunt. 300 yard shots are common on powerline cuts or fire breaks. Soybean fields (have replaced cotton)offer shots of much greater distance. My .308 and 7x57s are easily up to these yardages.

lt522
August 14, 2009, 02:16 PM
I have been through magumitis and back again. I started with a 30-30 , a 270 and so on. When I got married my wife bought me a 300 win mag for our 1st ann. since then i have picked up a couple more. Then went through a time when I decided I did't need all that power and sold them. Since I seem to wake up with a different view on this every so often , I have my 7mm mag , a 30-06, 243 , 30-30 , and a 270 , in case I want a large cal. that day.

ArmedBear
August 14, 2009, 02:17 PM
Whitetails? Only up north. Not many of those around here.

Some of our smaller animals (the larger ones being Grizzly and Moose):

Idaho Mule Deer:
http://www.huntingillustrated.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/ftryans-1.jpg

Idaho Elk:
http://www.newwest.net/images/articles/cache/outdoors_world_record_elk_idaho-0x300.jpg

Antelope through a BIG zoom lens:
http://wolves.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/antelope-copperbsn.jpg

Mountain goats:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_gOO_ZAvCD2c/SLpG25IC6bI/AAAAAAAAACk/P36N8T4e7l4/s400/David+Moskowitz-Mountain+Goats+in+the+Mist.jpg

Sawtooth Mountains, somewhat bigger than your average powerline cut:
http://www.strengthinperspective.com/mpcompel/mpgal23/webpix/Sawtooth-Mountains.jpg

usmc1371
August 14, 2009, 02:32 PM
I guess i could carry my 30-06 instead of my 300wm but since I elk hunt with the 300 I like to pack it around in deer season for practice. I am still taking only my 375 doe hunting, I don't even want the possibility of carrying a smaller rifle to cross my mind. The 375 is open sight and the country I hunt in is open sage so unless I can get close enough for a good shot with open sights I guess I don't really need to kill a doe.

Pack the rifle that puts a smile on your face, thats what we are all out there for anyways. If it's a 357 lever gun or a 470NE if you got it and you know you can kill a deer cleanly with it I say carry what ever makes you happy. I can't imagine ever shooting another deer with a 223 just like plenty of folks could never imagine why some one would shoot a deer with a 300wm or 375HnH.

jimmyraythomason
August 14, 2009, 02:56 PM
ArmedBear, 300 yards is 300 yards whether it's powercut,Sawtooth Mountains or open tundra. The whole point of this thread was not to bash those that suffer from magnumitis(bless their hearts) only that I have come to the realization that to take my game (whitetail deer)at my ranges(45-300+ yds) I don't have to subject myself to more recoil(in light of my by-pass surgery) than necessary. I was just wondering if I was alone in my thinking. BTW, if you need a 375 H&H to take a pronghorn,well....

ArmedBear
August 14, 2009, 03:07 PM
You've never heard of a Magnum that was less than .308" in diameter, jimmy? Big, heavy bullets aren't the only reason to shoot something called "Magnum".

I have come to the realization that to take my game (whitetail deer)at my ranges(45-300+ yds) I don't have to subject myself to more recoil(in light of my by-pass surgery) than necessary.

Sounds good.

Given the mix of game here (either size, or distance), it has always surprised me that anyone thinks he "needs" more than a .30-06 to shoot whitetails at 300 yards. It's hard to imagine much that's better than a .270 for that. MPBR sight-in, just point and shoot as far as you ever will want to.

However, there's legitimate use for a .338 Win Mag (or a .338-378 for that matter), as well as something like a .257 Weatherby, around here.

Pronghorns are often shot at more than 300 yards. 300 is a fairly close shot. And dead elk have a bad habit of running for a few miles.

But like I said, I have a .30-06 for all of the above.

jimmyraythomason
August 14, 2009, 03:18 PM
Now,now,now, when did I say there wasn't a legitimate reason to use a magnum? As I said,I have magnums. I don't need them but I have them. I hope to one day get to go after game where I will need them.

buck460XVR
August 14, 2009, 03:26 PM
I haven't hunted deer with a rifle for a coupla years, pursuing the challenge with a handgun. This year I plan on using a new rifle.....in .357. That said, for 40 some years I used a M1917 in 30-06 and never though it was overkill or that I suffered from magnumitis. Ammo was relatively cheap and readily available(compared to .257) and 90% of the guys I hunted with carried the same ammo. Then again, folks I hunted with didn't care what you used as long as you could hit what you aimed at, were considerate of others and used ammo that was effective against the quarry you were after.

Most of us did head the other direction when we heard the feller with the .223 shoot tho........ as most of us didn't like wasting the whole day trailing someone else's deer.;)

BTW....IMHO, I don't really consider by going from a 30-06 to a .308 that one is downsizing, unless you just consider the length of the casing and the throw of the bolt. I do wish you the best of luck tho, regardless of what you end up using.

jimmyraythomason
August 14, 2009, 03:48 PM
I don't consider a 30.06 overkill. I have 3 bolt guns in 30.06 Two of them are built on Mauser actions like my .308 is and has the same length action. My .308 has very little recoil but the 30.06s kick "pretty good" except for my Howa 1500 and that is only because it is a lot heavier.

shaggy430
August 14, 2009, 03:53 PM
I don't really consider 30-06 as overkill either. A 30-06 isn't that much more powerful than a .308 with standard 150 grain loads.

wyohome
August 14, 2009, 03:55 PM
I use a .308 for nearly everything. I like the lower recoil and the price of ammo lets me shoot more often. Some of my hunting buddies use 300WM or 7mm Rem. I have no problem with whatever you shoot, I prefer shooting more with less bodily damage (to me) and very nearly the same bodily damage to the target animal. I have considered getting a 338 for hunting elk here just for the bear protection factor.

deanadell
August 14, 2009, 04:34 PM
jimmyray

powering down, and back in time this year.

I've hunted with a .270 for 20 years. I recently bought an old beat up Remington Model 141 in .30 remington that I'm trying to rebuild into hunting shape by the mid-October opener. Going to put the bolt gun in the safe and hunt with the old "Game Master" if I get it done in time.......

3pairs12
August 14, 2009, 04:43 PM
Armedbear that bull was taken in Utah. They call it Spider

http://addictedtohunting.com/utah-monster-spider-bull-elk/

R.W.Dale
August 14, 2009, 05:09 PM
I'll probably power up this year in the open country. I used a 7.62x39 last year to good effect but this year me and the mrs will probably use my 06,es. If I can find a box of 53 grn barnes tsx bullets I may use my retro ar15 in close terrain though

ArmedBear
August 14, 2009, 05:25 PM
Armedbear that bull was taken in Utah. They call it Spider

Yeah, but we've got plenty just like it here.:D

They feed on giant potatoes.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/images/id/IDDRIspud_5295mw.jpg

Robert Wilson
August 14, 2009, 07:01 PM
I've been using long, heavy, small caliber round nosed bullets with plenty of lead exposed at the tip, like those from Hornady. They are quite deadly if velocities are held down to 2200-2400 FPS. Because I like to stalk close and take shots under 150 yards, the small loss of trajectory makes no difference. Even large animals fall over right away when hit by 175 grain RN bullets from my 7x57. I am going to find a 6.5xsomething and try the 160 grain Hornady RN for the same thing. Recoil in either is non-existent.

My first and true love will always be the cannons, and they work just fine. But I can't claim they are necessary or even ideal.

3pairs12
August 14, 2009, 07:03 PM
Yeah, but we've got plenty just like it here.

They feed on giant potatoes.

Oh I believe it! Just thought you might like to know the background behind that guy.

MCgunner
August 14, 2009, 07:49 PM
I knew a guy that took elk with a 25/06. It can be done.

For deer, I've never been big on big guns. I have been using my .308 last dozen years or so when I rifle hunt. But, last year I got the old .257 Roberts out and sighted it in. Actually, it just shot it. It's been sitting since I got that .308 and it's still spot on.

Love that .308, but I just wanna get the old .257 out for use. I may not hunt with it, will be bow hunting this year, handgun hunting, and maybe some trips with the Hawken front loader. The .257 or any rifle feels like cheating out where I'm hunting. 150 yards is a long shot on my land.

I've taken a few deer with a 7mm rem mag hunting out west. It's okay for shooting mulies across New Mexico canyons, but it just seems a bit much even for that. The .257 will shoot nearly as far and kill mulies just as dead, ditto the .308. But, I ain't sellin' the 7. It's fun to shoot, makes a big bang, increases testosterone production. LOL

bpl
August 14, 2009, 11:01 PM
Would going from a 7mm-08 to a .257 Roberts be considered "powering down"? :D

AKElroy
August 14, 2009, 11:07 PM
7mag 10 years ago, .270 up through last season, .243 this year.

627PCFan
August 14, 2009, 11:16 PM
I started with a 223, then went 7 rem mag, and now Im to 6.5 Swede. Common sense rules in the end.

bang_bang
August 15, 2009, 12:57 AM
I'll be using my 300 Winchester MAGNUM (Oh God, I said the "M" word) this year for deer season. Might even take the 7mm Remington MAGNUM out once or twice too.:neener:

I don't NEED them to hunt deer, my .270 will do just as well, along with .223, 22 Magnum, etc. I just happen to fancy the belted magnums.

jimmyraythomason
August 15, 2009, 09:57 AM
"Would going from a 7mm-08 to a .257 Roberts be considered "powering down"? "-bpl . More like a lateral movement with a slight downward tilt.

ArmedBear
August 15, 2009, 10:17 AM
Personally, I think that this whole "Magnum" thing is mostly BS -- from both the pro- and anti-Magnum camps.:)

Handloaders get a bit more velocity than factory loads, but consider these generic factory specs for the sake of comparison.

.270 Winchester 130 grains @ 3060 FPS
.280 Remington 140 grains @ 3000 FPS
7mm Rem Mag 140 grains @ 3175 FPS

How different are these numbers? Not very. Less than 6% velocity difference between the non-magnum and Magnum 7mm Remington cartridges.

The word "Magnum" doesn't mean as much as people perceive.

"Powering down", whether or not someone has an injury or any other reason for it, can be a rational response to recognizing that a Magnum might just not be worth the cost and recoil when it doesn't really provide a huge jump in performance.:)

OTOH the idea that a 7mm Remington Magnum is "way too much gun" when a .270 is "perfect" isn't supported by the numbers.

3pairs12
August 15, 2009, 10:20 AM
I am really here nor there in the magnum camp. I have 1 mag rifle and haven't shot it yet. I am not above taking a game animal by any means legal, so long as I am adaquet with those means.

jimmyraythomason
August 15, 2009, 10:32 AM
This was never meant to be a magnum vs standard caliber war. AGAIN, I have magnums and will use them when the situation warrants it. I don't reload, so ammunition cost is a factor. Why pay $80+ per 20 rounds of .300 Wby mag. When my .308 @<$20 per 20 rounds will do just as well? Why subject myself to jarring and potentially dangerous recoil when it isn't necessary? I was poking fun at myself with the original "magnumitis" comment. I didn't know it would take center stage in what I thought was a reasonable question.

MCgunner
August 15, 2009, 10:44 AM
Dude, you need a reloading press. :D Seriously, I wouldn't love the .257 Roberts so much if I didn't handload. I could get by with the .308, admittedly, without handloading and ditto the 7 mag. But, it also saves quite a bit of money allowing for more shooting. I really don't shoot the centerfires that much except for some of my milsurps, though. I shoot a lot with a .22 mag rimfire for practice, shoot my front loader quite a bit, and the milsurps are fun. I've still got about 1500 rounds of 7.62x39 mixed wolf and norinco that I've had for a while. So, I don't burn a lot of centerfire, but still, it's nice to be able to go load 50 rounds of .257 Roberts once in a while that beats anything I can buy over the counter hands down. I have several hundred rounds of .308 loaded up. I wouldn't wanna buy that over the counter at a buck a round.

jimmyraythomason
August 15, 2009, 10:55 AM
I will probably have to start handloading for the .257 Roberts. Factory ammo is almost non-existant. I have found one brand for about 2 dollars a round ($42+shipping). I have enough ammo for everything else,except maybe the .280 Rem. but I don't plan on using it much.

MCgunner
August 15, 2009, 10:58 AM
Wow, 25 years ago when .257 was having a little resurgence of popularity and Winchester came out with the +P silvertip stuff, you could find .257 on the shelf at Walmart. I guess it's back to obscurity for the old hoss again. No matter, can still get brass, bullets, powder, and primers if they ain't sold out. I haven't even looked for factory ammo in 25 years. I inherited the reloading dies and such from my grandpa and have reloaded .257 for since the late 60s, but I had a period there where I was living in apartments and moving a lot and didn't have a good place to mount the press. I had the press on a pickup tool box for a while and loaded in the back of my truck, LOL! I was desperate in college.

Flintknapper
August 15, 2009, 10:59 AM
I hunted with a .338 Win Mag for about 20 years primarily because it was such an accurate rifle. I would use 250-300 gr. bullets for Elk and hand-load some milder 200 gr. for Deer and Hogs.

However, when I bought a 7mm-08 for my Daughter about 14 yrs. old, I absolutely fell in love with the cartridge. Plenty of energy for Whitetail, very soft recoil, very accurate.

Yeah, I've "powered down".

1911Tuner
August 15, 2009, 11:10 AM
I've always sorta powered down...within reason, of course. By far, most of the rifles I've handloaded for produce the best accuracy...not to mention reduced battering on the gun and extended barrel life...with pressure and velocity levels a bit below top-end.

This doesn't always hold true, of course. I've seen a few boomsticks that didn't start to shoot until pressures were above what I'd consider sane...but these are the exception.

On the receiving end...I've yet to see a whitetail deer or a groundhog that could tell the difference in 50 fps plus or minus.

Higher velocities mainly serve to flatten trajectory. If the animal is well and solidly hit...it'll drop to 2900 fps as quickly as it'll drop to 3000.

The .257 Roberts is a fine old cartridge. So is the 7X57. Sad to see it fade, but in the Age of Magnums...I guess it was inevitible.

AKElroy
August 15, 2009, 11:45 AM
OTOH the idea that a 7mm Remington Magnum is "way too much gun" when a .270 is "perfect" isn't supported by the numbers.

That, or they are both too much gun for the 100 lb whitetail in my neck of the woods--

ArmedBear
August 15, 2009, 12:23 PM
That, or they are both too much gun for the 100 lb whitetail in my neck of the woods--

http://planetaryblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/jackalope.jpg

3pairs12
August 15, 2009, 02:06 PM
Hey where did you get that trailcam pic from my lease at armedbear?

Art Eatman
August 15, 2009, 02:47 PM
I'd been " '06-ing" for about 20 years when I bought my .243. Cute little cartridge. Worked great for the deer-culling I was doing at the old family place. Wasn't hunting, as such; just drive along in the jeep and shoot whatever doe or scraggle-horn buck I saw. Hey, the little critter worked just fine. I merely figured that it wasn't really the answer in Ma Bell country.

Since various witnesses were fond of yakking of having watched my father kill deer to 500 yards with his '06, I merely assumed that I was supposed to be able to do the same. And, out here in this wide-open desert-mountain country, it's a rational solution to the equation.

My legs have about quit on me, so I loaned the '06 to Justin to keep me in elk steaks. I got a 700 Ti in 7mm08 since I'll do a bunch more sitting than walking. I guess that's "powering down", but not enough to worry about.

You get right down to it, if you're in many-deer country and just want meat, all ya gotta do is imitate a stump for a long while and use a .32-20. :D

deerhunter61
August 15, 2009, 03:51 PM
Yep...I have powered down I suppose. Last year I bought a CZ 6.5x55 Swede and it is my new go to deer rifle. I still have my 7Mag and 300Mag and will hunt with both but found that the 6.5 just is a lot more fun to shoot and it does a great job taking deer. It took me a few years to finally decide to power down simply because of the performance of the two rifles mentioned above. They shoot great so to just replace them took me a while to make up my mind to do so. I too finally gave in to physical issues. A seperated shoulder along with neck issues have made me think twice about shooting the big boomers.

MCgunner
August 15, 2009, 06:01 PM
The .257 Roberts is a fine old cartridge. So is the 7X57. Sad to see it fade, but in the Age of Magnums...I guess it was inevitible.

I'm not sure it really is the "age of the magnums". Someone posted the top 10 hunting calibers somewhere in a thread. IIRC 7 mag and .300 WSM were the only ones in the top ten. The list was headed by the 06, of course. 7 mag, .308 were tied for fourth. IIRC, and this was for hunting large game supposedly, there was .243 in the top five and .22-250 was in the top 10 (very popular round in Texas for kids and the recoil shy).

I think it's the "age of the short magnum" as far as advertising hype goes, though, grant ya that. LOL I think other than the 7, belted mags seem to have fallen somewhat out of favor. 20 years ago it was all about the 8mm Rem Mag and the 7mm STW and such. It goes in spurts, I reckon.

420Stainless
August 15, 2009, 06:18 PM
Here in MS the only really big critters we have to hunt are hogs, but I'm not too interested in hunting them for some reason. My limited deer hunting has alway been with a 30-06. Only killed 2 over the years (I'm not a very active or knowledgeable hunter), but it worked very well both times.

For deer I'm going to give 6.8SPC a try this year if I get a chance. I'm also giving some thought to leaving the rifle at home and going at it with a .41 mag. revolver.

cyclopsshooter
August 15, 2009, 06:23 PM
30-06, 270, 30-30 never had a magnum and doubt i ever will

MCgunner
August 15, 2009, 08:24 PM
Hogs ain't that tough to kill, even big ones. A proper partition bullet and the .30-30 is plenty for any hog that walks. I may go after Nilgai someday. That's when I'll break out the belted magnum.

nathan
August 15, 2009, 09:02 PM
3006, 25 06, 7.62 x 54 R, 8 mm , 243, 7.62 x 39. They all get the job done.

Byron Quick
August 15, 2009, 09:52 PM
I'm a big believer that a given caliber is appropriate for a given animal with 'proper bullet placement.' But what about improper bullet placement? I'm a belt and suspenders guy. I shot a buck one day with .35 Whelen. Now I was aiming at the buck's shoulder and where the bullet should have exited was the opposite short ribs. Unfortunately just as the sear broke, the buck took a step. I didn't hit the shoulder... I hit the short ribs on this side and the bullet exited on the buck's opposite hip. Result? That buck dropped right there with his spinal cord paralyzed from the shock of the bullet. He drug himself three or four feet before he bled out from his exploded aorta.

Now a smaller bullet on the same track would have punched a hole in the aorta but I doubt it would have shocked the spinal cord in the same fashion. The result most likely is that I would have been hunting through swamps for that buck. I've lost several wounded deer in those swamps. The big caliber turned an inadvertent bad shot into a dead right there shot.

paintballdude902
August 17, 2009, 07:42 PM
i like my .30-06 for all hunting just because i have a very good chance at having a black bear walk out

my next deer gun(s) will be a .45acp conversion for my enfield when i get the money since its low kick low noise i can hunt close to the pasture with my horses (not in but near the deer like to cross the road just past it but im scared i will spook the horses) and a 20ga pump ive become a big fan of the 20 gauge since it has half the kick of a 12 and will take a deer or bear with a slug no problem but i can still hunt bird and take out a snake without using a slug or buckshot

hotlead
August 18, 2009, 09:44 PM
I like shooting rifles, BUT, 20 hand loaded rounds through the .300 win mag or 7 mag stops the fun/accuaracy real quick for me. I dont mind hunting with them, because, it is just one or two shots, right? I just like shooting and hunting. I will have my .25-06 hunting w/ me this year.

One-Time
August 18, 2009, 09:49 PM
Ive always hunted with smaller rounds or shotguns as opposed to 30-06 etc

The deer in Florida are too small for that LOL

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
August 19, 2009, 12:23 AM
Yep. Thankfully, my magnumitis phase was short and sweet and over by my mid-late 30s, and never got past 7mm rem mag.

For big-game-hunting-capable rifles, I'm looking in the safe at two .243s, one .260 rem, one .280 rem, two .30-06s (which I consider to be my 'someday' Canada/Alaska rifles ONLY), one 9.3x62mm (which I consider to be my 'someday' Africa plains rifle ONLY), two .45-70s, and one 12 ga slug rifle.

I figure .280 rem is the biggest I'd ever need in the lower 48 for ungulates, so the .45-70s and 12 ga are for dangerous game (big Russian boars or brown bear). In addition to largish game, the .280 rem is also a most excellent long range round for deer sized game (deer, sheep, goats, antelope)

For some reason however, I DID sell my .45 cal ML and go with .50 cal ML - but that was mainly for commonality of buying components/bullets.

ojibweindian
August 19, 2009, 10:38 AM
I have a 7 mag that I keep at .280 power levels. Much easier to load down with a 7 mag than push a .280 too hot.

peyton
August 19, 2009, 11:20 AM
Been stuck in Iraq it seems I have missed a lot of hunting. Oh, last animal I shot was a nice Buck at Fort Hood in 2002. Let me tell you the army of one needs a lot of contractors to keep their stuff working. 4 and 1/2 years of sand and flies!! Oh they don't trust us with firearms either. There are some BIG Dove here and they won't let us bring air rifles to harvest them. Then the mucky mucks grip because of the super heated bird poop on the SUV's.

jimmyraythomason
August 19, 2009, 11:25 AM
My hat's off to you peyton! Thanks for all that you and your buddies do.

achildofthesky
August 19, 2009, 01:14 PM
Down to 30-30's, Marlin 1894 44 mag, and 30-06... I would like a 45-70 just because...

jimmyraythomason
August 20, 2009, 10:21 AM
I sure miss my Marlin 1894 saddle ring carbine in .44 mag. I gave it to a nephew on his 16th birthday. That was 15 years ago. About 2 years ago I see it in a Pawnshop for $399.99. It only cost $149 NEW!

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
August 20, 2009, 12:59 PM
You saw the SAME one you gave to your nephew? :eek: Yeah, thanks for your service peyton - that same stupidity of not allowing problem birds to be shot, even if done in a safe way, happens *everywhere* around the world.

jimmyraythomason
August 20, 2009, 02:49 PM
Yep Dr. Tad THE EXACT SAME one.

H&Hhunter
August 20, 2009, 05:17 PM
I got tired of those 150 round days with the .458 Lott so I down gauged to a .470NE.

I was shocked at how well the .470NE kills coyotes, hogs and rabbits it is a full 100 to 150 FPS slower at the muzzle. And the recoil is so muted as compared to the Lott.

jimmyraythomason
August 20, 2009, 05:30 PM
:what::what: .470 Nitro Express for rabbits?

CoRoMo
August 20, 2009, 06:00 PM
I read and hear a lot of talk like this back before I ever owned a rifle of my own.

It all made a believer out of me, that magnums are unnecessary.

I started out with a .30-30 and then got a .270 and have killed elk and deer with both.

I eventually got another .270, but I keep telling myself that one day I need to get a .30-06 too. I might not ever do that. I might just get, yet another .270 rifle.

I'll certainly never own a magnum though. I'll never need to.

H&Hhunter
August 20, 2009, 07:39 PM
.470 Nitro Express for rabbits?

A man has got to know his limitations...That is why I backed it off from the Lott.

I am guessing you've never seen a truly p/o'ed high plains rabbit in action? They don't call them gray fuzzy bunny death for nothing. There has been many a man in these parts who've left this world gurgling blood because the under estimated a wounded high plains bunny bull. The last thing they see is huge set of terrible gnashing teeth then red then black and then they gently drift off to the light.

It's not a pretty sight and I recommend that you use enough gun at all times.

Just have a look at the video of this high plains rabbit hunt gun bad!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcxKIJTb3Hg

jimmyraythomason
August 20, 2009, 08:26 PM
My word! I had forgot how vicious these horrid creatures could be! Are you sure the .470N.E. is enough?

MCgunner
August 20, 2009, 08:33 PM
I'd ditch the .470 and get some serious dangerous game medicine, a 12 gauge. Do you want to rely on less than the game wardens do in Alaska? :D

H&Hhunter
August 20, 2009, 10:13 PM
I'd ditch the .470 and get some serious dangerous game medicine, a 12 gauge. Do you want to rely on less than the game wardens do in Alaska?

12ga is ok but I'd only feel comfortable using tin hardened criptimonium buckshot.

moooose102
August 25, 2009, 12:11 AM
nope. i have real trouble chasing wounded animals. i want them to drop in their tracks! i can live with recoil far better than i can tracking an animal more than 50 yards. if i am pretty sure i can drop it, i'll shoot it. if i am not so sure, i'll let it walk.

moooose102
August 25, 2009, 12:14 AM
I sure miss my Marlin 1894 saddle ring carbine in .44 mag. I gave it to a nephew on his 16th birthday. That was 15 years ago. About 2 years ago I see it in a Pawnshop for $399.99. It only cost $149 NEW!

you NEED to go find your nephew and SLAP him up along side of the head!

PT1911
August 25, 2009, 12:19 AM
I am just a youngun...(23) and am already in the powering down stage... I will do my hunting fromthis point with either my weatherby in 270 win, my 257 rbts, or my trusty ole marlin 30-30.... I may even take my .223 on a whim...

A 30-06 is a good cartridge no doubt, but it is unnecessary for much of the hunting i will be exposed to. I wont have many chances at 300+ yard shots but even if I do... I have a 270 for that...

I still plan to get a Ruger No. 1 in 460 S&W:D

KRAG3040
August 26, 2009, 10:37 PM
Recovering from neck surgery has forced me to "power down" for the upcoming 2009 Idaho big game season. I will be using my 243 Win with 100 grain Nosler Partitions for my doe mule deer tag and since I didn't get drawn for unit 39 cow elk tag; I will be using my 7mm-08 with 140grain handloaded accubonds on bull elk.

Ankeny
August 31, 2009, 09:43 PM
I powered down from a .30-.338 to a 7mm Rem Mag for big critters in wide open spaces. I'll be 54 next month so I bought myself a "powered down" Sako model 75 6.5X55 Swede. I even went so far as to install a nice, soft, recoil pad.

Still, I am somewhat skeptical of the suitability of the 6.5X55 for much of my hunting. I think 6 out of the last 7 bull elk that I have shot were over 400 yards. Yeah a 400 yard shot with a 140 grainer out of a 6.5 Swede is a no-brainer...but not a whole lot of steam left beyond that. I guess when I get older I'll just have to get closer.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
September 1, 2009, 11:17 AM
Ankeny where do you hunt? Thanks.

Ankeny
September 1, 2009, 07:55 PM
I hunt in central Wyoming. My elk hunting is on private land, mostly grass and sagebrush. Lots of wide open spaces and large herds of critters. Not unusual to find 200-400 elk bedded down in the middle of nowhere with a 360 degree view. Lots of fun if you want to crawl around in the rocks and shoot a long way. As I grow older, closer shots in more broken terrain become more and more appealing.

farscott
September 2, 2009, 06:36 AM
I have always shied away from magnum rifle calibers after something I once witnessed at a range during my time in Michigan. A gentleman was sitting at a bench attempting to sight in a very nice rifle chambered in .340 Weatherby. Nothing too odd there -- at least until I looked a bit closer.

He would fire a shot, wait a few seconds, pull out a handkerchief, and wipe the blood from his nose. Once his nose stopped bleeding, he would repeat the entire process. I thought he just had a nosebleed from a sinus infection (common during the long Michigan winters) and thought nothing of it until it was time to change the targets during a cease fire. We talked about what each of us was shooting; I had my Remington 700VS in.308, and he had his rifle. I asked him if the recoil of his rifle fired from the bench was tough on his shoulder. He laughed and told me the recoil was tough on his whole body. He said his nose bled every time he fired that Weatherby, from the bench or not.

That made an impression on me. My hunting rifles are chambered in .308 Winchester, .243 Winchester, and .35 Remington. I have never needed more rifle, but I have limited myself to deer. I have a .375 H&H, but I have never taken game with it. Perhaps some day I will.

This year I will be using my Browning 1885 in .243 Winchester. Same as last year.

cooch
September 5, 2009, 05:49 PM
Nope.

Just because you can do something - and get away with it - doesn't make it a good idea.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone else powering down?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!