is there something you dont like about Valtro?

PDA

HABU
January 18, 2003, 10:55 PM
I have been researching Valtro. Everything I have heard or seen has been good to excellent. Does anyone not like them for any reason? Is there any one thing that you dont like about them? I hate to approach this from a negative standpoint, but I have already heard all (or a lot of) the good stuff.

If you enjoyed reading about "is there something you dont like about Valtro?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Gewehr98
January 18, 2003, 11:05 PM
That Sven tries to amortize his purchase of a Valtro and debt to John Jardine by posting lots of pictures of it here at THR? :neener:

Dunno, just another high-dollar 1911 clone. I did the same with Caspians, so I'm just as guilty.

Sven
January 18, 2003, 11:14 PM
Guilty as charged. I will be posting more pictures, so better upgrade to broadband. =)

I didn't like the stock ambi safety. That's my only complaint. Definitely get the strong side safety by default.

My only other complaint? I don't like the fact that 'Valtro' isn't a household name around here as is Kimber, Wilson, etc.... don't worry - I'm working on this.

Did somebody say "more pictures"?

Official Valtro Website (http://www.ValtroUSA.com)
Sven's (Notorious) Valtro Pics (http://www.imageseek.com/valtro)

yayarx7
January 18, 2003, 11:20 PM
I do not like the fact that I cannot afford one.

That is the only point I can think to make.

Boats
January 18, 2003, 11:23 PM
I never seem to see that hideous port side roll mark in any of the artsy pictures of the Valtro. I also wish for a stainless model to be made.

Wildalaska
January 19, 2003, 12:20 AM
if it aint got a dancing horse on it it aint a 1911...

WildilovecoltsAlaska

ZekeLuvs1911
January 19, 2003, 02:47 AM
I'm not thrilled with the adjustable sights. I would ask him to put some standard novak sights on them. Does he? I didn't see it mentioned at his sight ......;)

Sven
January 19, 2003, 03:08 AM
Most of the parts are directly swappable with 1911 parts. I'm sure you can put whatever sights you want on there.

The slide is slightly beefier than the "holy" Colt.

All Stainless Valtros have shipped. Here are pictures of a Two-Tone (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22&highlight=valtro)... I'll post my stainless when it is ready.

=)

RANash
January 19, 2003, 03:49 AM
The biggest gripe I've got is that rollmark. But I can live with it. I put a little dap of bright yellow paint on the front sight. That helped. I like the adjustable sights otherwise.

It's not just another high-dollar 1911 clone...it's a mid-dollar, but high-quality 1911 clone!

Don45cal
January 19, 2003, 04:10 AM
Sven, What makes it so special? It appears to be the Flavor of the Month just like Kimber once was.

Kimber owners are having more than a fair share of problems. Just read the posts on different forums.

Is Valtro next?

RANash
January 19, 2003, 04:19 AM
Well Don, I'm not Sven, but I'll weigh in on your question.

The Valtro has a quality level on par with the Wilsons and the Baers, but has a price about $800 less than they have. The main reasons are 1) the gun was designed by a master gunsmith, John Jardine, and 2) John checks out each one when they get back from the factory in Italy and weeds out the ones that have problems. He (or someone he supervises) then hand fits and smoothes out anything that needs it befores it goes to the customer.

Lots of great companies start out with the extra effort at quality, get a great reputation, and then "coast". If that happens with Valtro, then, yes, they'll just be another "flavor of the month". But for right now, they're mid-dollar and high-quality!

Don45cal
January 19, 2003, 04:50 AM
RANash, Good answer. Well written.

Do you have one?

Another problem with that semi-custom, special gun is that few places have them to handle. Even fewer are available to test fire.

I ordered numerous pistols this way. A couple Browns, a Baer, a couple Kimbers and a couple others. I have had my fair share of problems. Just about all have worked out. One problem left but who's counting.

But is has cost me to get the problems corrected if not in simple parts, in shipping and handling.

Maybe I need to be on the front end of the Flavor. Maybe I need better luck. Maybe I should do what a friend has explained, buy cheap used, find a smith and have it customized where I can walk in and out testing the final product for fit, finish and function.

What do you think??

Glockster35
January 19, 2003, 07:50 AM
Four issues I have with the Valtro:

1. I hate adjustable sights on a carry/combat pistol. They are of no use to me, and would have to be removed.

2. I can't stand the roll marks on this particular pistol. Who cares if it's a 1911, 1991, 1998 etc. And why do they have to make the roll mark half the size of the gun.

3. I can't afford to get one just yet, but even if I could...:fire:

4. Since I can't buy any guns over here, and Valtro's aren't that popular yet...I guess I should have asked to go to to Italy, so I could at least vist the factory and maybe pick one of these up. :evil:

Jspy
January 19, 2003, 08:43 AM
Cosmetically the roll marks are the first thing which could be different. Since I haven't seen one, other than pix, I will reserve additional comments until I get my hands on the one I ordered in Oct and was promised in Dec. :cuss:

RANash
January 19, 2003, 06:33 PM
Don, Yes I own one, serial number in the extremely low 600's. Yes, it's everything that we say.

I also wish the rollmark was a lot smaller. However, I love the gun so much that the oversized rollmark is actually beginning to look good to me!

I understand Glockster about wanting some variation in sights, finishes, etc. This just isn't available yet from Valtro. However, I don't see why someone couldn't put different sights on. And for that matter, finish the gun differently if they wished.

Also, I think a big reason these guns are so nice is the personal attention they're getting from John Jardine. If you picked one up at the factory, who knows? I've heard that any "seconds" that don't meet Jardine's quality standards are getting sold in other countries.

Jspy, I've heard that from a lot of folks, that they ordered three or four months ago and are still waiting. For those folks I've got a suggestion. The dealer I worked through to get mine seems to be selling a larger percentage of Valtros than other dealers, and he doesn't seem to have to wait so long for guns. I ordered mine and he had it in stock within 12 days! He's a great guy, very reasonable with the price, and doesn't mind dealing with out-of-staters (via your FFL, of course).

A.J. Robello - BST Guns
Petaluma, CA
(707)762-4250

Tell him that Richard Nash referred you.

kalibear45
January 19, 2003, 07:59 PM
and the fact that John Jardine stands by his products makes it more amiable. But for a few hundred dollars less, I would consider the STI Ca Trojan

cratz2
January 19, 2003, 08:14 PM
Ugly roll mark, Novak's should be standard as should a non-ambi safety. Priced equilavently to the Rock River pistols which are superior in my opinion. Not a slight against Valtro, I think it's a fine pistol. Never shot one but I've handled two. Granted, there is about a 18 month wait on the RRA pistols but that give you plenty of time to pay for it.

I also think that a new Baer Concept or a highern end used Baer would be a worthy of consideration in this price range.

The STI is a fine pistol as well but I can't stand those cocking serrations and to get a slide without those serrations to get standard Colt or Gold Cup style serrations adds about $200 to the price.

Sean Smith
January 19, 2003, 08:32 PM
My only problem with them is the "huge rollmark syndrome," where nobody with any taste is involved in deciding what gets stamped on the side of a gun in big letters. Adjustable sights are also alot less "fashonable" than they used to be, though I wouldn't consider them a negative.

blades67
January 19, 2003, 09:01 PM
if it aint got a dancing horse on it it aint a 1911... :rolleyes:

So paste a photo af a pony in a tu-tu if it makes you feel better.:neener:

Sven
January 19, 2003, 09:30 PM
I would consider the STI Ca Trojan

Did someone say something about rollmarks?

(cough)

kalibear45
January 19, 2003, 09:46 PM
Heh, heh.

Mind you, I actually like the 'distinct' rollmarks on the Kali STI Trojan version. It kinda makes me feel special :p

http://home.attbi.com/~kbug1/images/caTrojan2a.jpg

Wildalaska
January 19, 2003, 10:19 PM
So paste a photo af a pony in a tu-tu if it makes you feel better.

Sacrilege!

WildbuyAmericanAlaska

45R
January 20, 2003, 12:15 AM
Wish they were more affordable!

Kahr carrier
January 20, 2003, 03:29 AM
Would like to see an all Stainless version.:)

Pendragon
January 20, 2003, 03:55 AM
Rule #1 about talking about 1911s: WildAlaska does not like them if they are not made by Colt.

Well, I had a Colt and I was not impressed. Yes, one Colt of millions.

Now I have a Valtro - one of hundreds. (low 400s).

The fit and finish on the Valtro has to be seen to be believed. The freaking INSIDE of the gun is finished nicer and smoother than the outside of my Colt - and I am not exaggerating.

As for the Valtro not being "American" - whatever. The gun is designed by an American, the parts are forged in Italy and some assembly is done over there - the final fitting is done over here.

I HIGHLY doubt you will see a stainless model over here. Even the best stainless steel is relatively soft compared to hard carbon steel - Jardine is extremely proud of the steel the Valtro is made of - 4340 Moly Steel that is heat treated and THEN machined - this means you are cutting the parts out of hardened steel and you do not get the warpage and distortion by heat treating the part after it is made.

Jardine laps the slide to frame fit himself - he said it takes him a week - I presume for a whole batch of them.

I agree with most of the comments made so far - I got the strong side safety - Jardine is a lefty so he made the gun work for him - its easy and cheap to change it out.

The Valtro is easily comparable to Wilson and Baer but it costs hundreds less. What nobody seems to mention is that the only way Jardine can really do that is to make them all the same.

They are all Blued, with adjustable sights and an ambi safety - if anyone is familiar with manufacturing, you will understand why he can make the Valtro cheaper - every option or even setting up to allow options makes things much more complicated.

If you want stainless or you want non-adjustable sights, you should not get a Valtro.

Personally, I like the adjustable sights - the Valtro is extremely accurate and the trigger is amazing - I put 300 rounds through mine today and because I was using a different load, the POI was different - so I dialed in the sights - no problem.

There are lots of quality, accurate, good looking 1911s out there - the Valtro is what it is and it costs what it costs. It is silly to buy one if you just want the features on a Wilson or Baer - then good grief, buy one of those - the biggest thing the Valtro has on those guys is price.

Oh, the magazines are Mec-Gar - I was concerned when I bought it and Jardine told me that Wilson would not sell them mags because they are a competitor. Interesting.

I had always heard that the mag was so important and you had to buy Wilsons. Funny - Jardines gun works 100% with any kind of mag - even the cheapies.

Kahr carrier
January 20, 2003, 04:05 AM
Very valid points.:)

RANash
January 20, 2003, 12:35 PM
I will admit that Rock River makes a great gun for a good price. Unfortunately, we political prisoners in the People's Republic of ********** can't buy them.

I'm very pleased with my Valtro, however. If Jardine didn't live in this state, we'd probably be screwed out of Valtros too... We can only get the lower end of Wilson's line. Baer, fortunately has taken pity on us and made many of models accessible. Can't get Ed Brown's guns, only a few STIs, etc.

But I've got my Valtro!

CGofMP
January 20, 2003, 02:29 PM
(Not speaking for Valtro of course.... just my personal impressions...)

I too find the rollmark way too large. Also the ambi safeties tend to pinch my right index finger so I do not like them on 1911 pattern firearms.

My fiancee just picked up HER Valtro.... Mr. Jardine did a little bit of special work on it for her (thereby I guess making it a Jardine's Custom piece) and OOOOOooooooohhhhhhhhh Mannnnnnnnnnnnn is this one sweet pistol.

More on that later or in another thread though.... Suffice it to say Jardine REALLY knows his stuff and she is more than overjoyed with what came out of the Jardine Custom side of the house....

It does not fit me... and I still love MY Valtro (one of the first 25) more than any of my other handguns. INCLUDING the ones that I have won competitions with... it is THAT good.

Charles
tenarius@memorableplaces.com

Sven
January 20, 2003, 07:47 PM
I'll soon post pictures of the sights John put on my Valtro. They have the white painted dotted front and vertical bar on the back sight.

Sven
January 28, 2003, 12:44 PM
Here is the High Road thread wherein I show the picture of the sight work Mr. Jardine performed for me...

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=80378

BigG
January 28, 2003, 12:54 PM
I remember in the latter 90s?? when Kimber first appeared on the radar screen. The standard black (blue) model was extremely nice in terms of fit and finish and generally bang for the buck.

Flash forward a couple years, Kimber had expanded its line until no two were alike. Gone was the standard blue model referenced above. The gun dealer had cases of different Kimber 45s all tricked out, full stainless, blue over stainless, stainless over blue, long bbl, short, bbl, medium bbl, long grip frame, short grip frame, aluminum grip frame, melted edges, all sorts of bells and whistles.

It was then during the product diversification phase that the QC problems started to be discussed. Hope Valtro is able to keep his QC up where it obviously is right now with his single flavor pistol.

Gary H
January 28, 2003, 01:34 PM
Ambi-Safety: The right side safety scratched the gun within a couple hundred rounds.

If you enjoyed reading about "is there something you dont like about Valtro?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!