Jeans- how many inches bigger for a IWB holster

PDA

shibby
August 17, 2009, 10:27 PM
I really never wear jeans and I need to buy a pair or two for the upcoming fall and winter, and was wondering how many inches beyond my comfortable waist size I should go to accommodate an IWB holster/gun. 2 inches? more? What works for most people?

If you enjoyed reading about "Jeans- how many inches bigger for a IWB holster" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wnycollector
August 17, 2009, 10:34 PM
One size larger works fine for me.

Sapper771
August 17, 2009, 10:36 PM
i can normally wear a size 36 waist in pants, but I will buy size 38 to accomodate the IWB holster. Different pants also have deifferent sizes. Some pants I have to go up to a 40 waist. I recommend putting the holster in your pocket , or in your wife's purse when you go shopping for your pants. When you go to try the pants on , just slip the holster into your waist band and see how it fits, just make sure to leave a little to make up for the pistol being absent ( if you didnt bring it with you to put in the holster).

shibby
August 17, 2009, 10:50 PM
good idea sapper, Ill have to do that.

alfack
August 18, 2009, 12:07 AM
I normally wear a 34, but good luck trying to find 35, so I get 36.

The sizes go 33, 34, 36. What's the deal with that? Is 35 an unlucky number? Never could figure that one out.

David E
August 18, 2009, 01:57 AM
It depends on the IWB holster. Some are thicker than others.

The one I use doesn't mandate a larger waist size. The holster I used before added nearly 3/4" all by itself, not counting the gun contained within.

anewconvert
August 18, 2009, 05:08 AM
For reference, Lucky brand sells 35. See them regularly when looking at jeans. :)

BC

bigfatdave
August 18, 2009, 05:32 AM
I don't need a larger waist size, but then I'm sort of squishy, and wear looser pants in the first place.

Deus Machina
August 18, 2009, 07:13 AM
I only had to go up a couple inches. Wearing 32 and a belt works fine for me. :neener:

Really do wish I could find the size I need. I can find 52W/26L :eek: at Wally-World, but 32/34 is nonexistant.

KenWP
August 18, 2009, 07:22 AM
Many brands sell 35 jeans. You should even be able to find Levis in that size. You can find 33's also. If your small there are 27 and 29's in womans sizes. I ran a mens wear for years and had many 27 inch mens jeans in stock as every lot had them and nobody ever bought them except a couple ladies.

indiandave
August 18, 2009, 07:40 AM
I wear LL bean hidden comfort jeans. They have elastic in the waist. They fit with and with out a holster. catalog #TA57121.

HexHead
August 18, 2009, 09:45 AM
I used to find Levi 501s in odd sizes like 35".

eatont9999
August 18, 2009, 09:55 AM
I usually take a 28"-30." I buy a 32" in case I feel like IWB later. I also check pocket depth for my .38 J frame. I just bring the .38 with me and try it with the pants on. It is harder than you think finding a nice pair of pants with good pockets.

Hhrshooter
August 18, 2009, 12:59 PM
You can find the size 35 at Penny's, Levi 501's..

Oonzpoonz
August 18, 2009, 11:47 PM
I use the same size pants that I had before carrying. (31)
But 31 is kinda of in between size.

sohcgt2
August 19, 2009, 08:22 AM
I don't need a larger waist size, but then I'm sort of squishy, and wear looser pants in the first place.

Thanks for the laugh, I was going to same the same thing, but in a less humorous way I'm sure.

Thingster
August 19, 2009, 12:02 PM
Really do wish I could find the size I need. I can find 52W/26L at Wally-World, but 32/34 is nonexistant.

Yeah, that disgusts me. I go to the store and there is one cubby hole for 29-30" waist pants and 3 holes for 50" pants, with 1 hole each for 52's, 54's, and 56's.:banghead:

Anyway, back on topic-

I always just take everything with me to verify unless I'm buying pants that I've purchased several pairs of prior. I tend to carry an SP101 in a sandwich holster and normally only have to step up 1". With a 1911 in the same sandwich holster I just buy my normal pants size.

Lakeshore
August 19, 2009, 06:17 PM
Bought my first ever IWB holster today. Instead of buying new pants I'm going to try Plan B which is to trim an inch or two off the ole waistline. We'll see, may have to go back to Plan A.

What is the best position for IWB carry, e.g. appendix, strong side, small of back?

saltydog452
August 19, 2009, 06:39 PM
'squishy'...

I can dream up all kind of adjectives, pear shaped, rotund, portly, and so on, and so on...If I stayed up all week thinking about another term that was instantly understood by all, I could NEVER be more descriptive than 'squishy'.

Thank you.

salty

charliehustle10
August 19, 2009, 06:41 PM
LOL, I thought I'd shave a few inches off the waist line as well and a gun would fit fine....let's just say I was shopping for pants real soon. Hidden comfort type waistlines work really well for IWB.

Position for IWB is really a preference, and depends on the gun, body, holster, comfort, etc. For example, I carry my P229 around 4:45/5:00, while my snubby (If it's on my waist) at 3:00. It is just that certain conditions allow for better concealment and or access. When I bought my first IWB holster at gun store, the salesman told me where to position it, when I moved it forward to be more comfortable, he practically yelled at me for "wearing it wrong", thus I hated IWB for while b/c I couldn't do it right and be comfortable. i was naive back then....

AK103K
August 19, 2009, 07:07 PM
I wear the same size pants I always do. They feel slightly snug when I first put them on, but everything quickly feels just right.

The main advantage is, in the rare instance I dont have a gun on, my pants still fit right, the next advantage is, the gun stays in place better, with less movement, and tends to ride tighter to my body.

No matter what, if your not used to using an IWB holster, its going to feel strange to you, normal pants or otherwise. It takes a little while for you to find that sweet spot, and for your body to get used to it being there.

David E
August 19, 2009, 07:51 PM
What is the best position for IWB carry, e.g. appendix, strong side, small of back?

For most people, 3:30 to 4:00 oclock works best.

leadcounsel
August 19, 2009, 07:59 PM
Shove your hand in the waist when you try them on to approximate the fit.

laktrash
August 19, 2009, 08:51 PM
Same size here ever thing fits tighter and snugger. I also am a little (alot) on the squishy side.

Mikhail Weiss
August 19, 2009, 09:19 PM
Jeans- how many inches bigger for a IWB holster

None bigger, at least for me. Your answer probably depends on how snug the jeans you normally wear fit, though, and where you carry IWB. Me, I simply buy jeans that fit well enough they won't fall off if I don't wear a belt. Seem to have no problem wearing IWB just behind hip, or all the way over to 6:00 (which, unless I wear OWB, is always, eventually, where the sucker migrates, twisting belt and pants to get there: that said, I prefer somewhere around 4:30-ish o'clock.)

Past few jeans purchases, I've picked up Lee's relaxed fit jeans. Seem to have more room in the legs for my pegs.

As to this:

I recommend putting the holster in your pocket , or in your wife's purse when you go shopping for your pants. When you go to try the pants on , just slip the holster into your waist band and see how it fits...

Why not just carry as you normally would and use the changing room? Try things on for size.

The Lone Haranguer
August 19, 2009, 09:19 PM
I like to go up an inch in waist size. (Jeans are no different from any other pants in this regard.) A rule of thumb I use is that if the pants slip down slightly and need a belt to hold them up, the size is about right. Here is also an application for slacks with an elastic waistband.

MedWheeler
August 19, 2009, 10:06 PM
I wear the size that fits me, and wear the IWB holster/gun between the belt and pants, with the holster's clip outside the belt.

shibby
August 19, 2009, 10:12 PM
Well this thread got a lot more attention than I had predicted :)

So it would seem that ~1" bigger is the right size, but to be sure I should take in at least the holster to find out for sure.

makarovnik
August 19, 2009, 10:30 PM
I go up to the next size which is usually two inches around the waist. If I could just go one inch I would because my carry is a small Kel-Tec.

bigfatdave
August 19, 2009, 11:13 PM
Lakeshore, IWB between 3 & 4:00 (meaning strong-side a bit behind the curve of your body) works well for me.
If you prefer a cross-draw, appendix can be a good choice, and you get the advantage of an easier weak-hand draw if you find your strong hand disabled/trapped/busy. I don't find having a gun in the front very comfortable, but it works for some people.
Small of back (SOB) feels like it offers good concealment, and looks like it is concealed at most angles you can see yourself in the mirror, but it shows up if you bend down, it is more likely to catch your shirt in such a way to expose your sidearm without you noticing. Not to mention the whole "having a hard lump of metal on your spine" thing. SOB works for some people, just not for my carry needs/methods.

saltydog452
August 20, 2009, 10:54 AM
IWB carry for me is pretty much where I'd carry OWB.

That is, straight up and down with the outseam of my britches but on the point of my hip.

Move it fwd a bit and my belly gets in the way.

Move it backward a bit to about 4 o'clock or so, and the grip handle pokes out. There is no way that the grip can be confused with a cell phone or pager. Tough to access while seated too.

Some IWB designs like the Summer Special don't work for my big belly, absent waist, and skinny butt.

Newer designs featuring hard molded rounded pocket, a fat tab, and widely spaced slots/loops work just dandy.

salty

edit..These comments refer to a Commander or BHP.

sd.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
August 21, 2009, 11:43 AM
It's a good question & thread. I think the best answer may be "2-3 inches more than you otherwise would wear". One extra inch of circumference ain't really enough to fit a good sized holster/gun under there. I'd say 3"-4" if it's a large gun/holster, and 2"-3" for a smaller one. 3" would split the difference for all all-purpose CCW pant. :p

I suppose if you're quite "squishy", then subtract 1" from those numbers.... 2" more for an all-purpose pant for the squishy folks.

Prince Yamato
August 21, 2009, 12:41 PM
When you go up a size, more changes than just the waist. You also get more room in the seat. If the pants are too large, you'll look goofy in them.

Look for a different "fit" of jeans in your regular size. ex: "Loose fit, Loose Relaxed," etc. The Gap sells odd sizes, like 35x33. I would suspect sister stores like Banana Republic do as well.

CoRoMo
August 21, 2009, 01:40 PM
I made this mistake. I should have added 2" to the Bullhide Belt I got.

Oh well, I'll just have to shed 2" of my current "tire" and I'll be fine.:)

DFW1911
August 21, 2009, 01:43 PM
I'm pretty thin and I go 2", which works just fine. If there's too much room I just tighten my belt :).

shibby
August 21, 2009, 03:36 PM
Well I am decently lean (not an Ethiopian but not at all chubby), and the gun I will be wearing is an HK USPc, which isnt that large, but isnt an LCP (next on the pistol list though). 31 is usually good, so I figure 32-33 would be about right for my circumstances. Sound good?

I know there cant be a set number for how much bigger to get, but its never a bad idea to hear from different people...maybe there is a few tricks to learn.

AK103K
August 21, 2009, 03:51 PM
Before you spend money for a new wardrobe, I'd try it with what you have first.

OurSafeHome.net
August 21, 2009, 04:33 PM
Why not just carry as you normally would and use the changing room? Try things on for size.

...and just to be sure that no one walks into the changing room, call out "Hey, how do you flush this thing?"

docjim
August 25, 2009, 04:55 PM
I might add here that tighter fit pants or a cinched belt can impede the draw or access to your sidearm. Loose is better! I also add that the suspenders sold by Duluth Trading are a plus! They only have 2 clips at the waistband (like a military pistol belt rig) and are well to the side.. Duluth Trading offers them with several types of clips as well.
I attach the suspenders to my belt rather than the pants & it also helps support the rig along with a knife &/or xtra mags.... Maybe a hangover from my stint in the SE Asian Paradise but I like the support in that fashion.. "DOC" Jim R -

okespe04
August 26, 2009, 01:16 PM
whatever size fits. Jeans stretch.

If you enjoyed reading about "Jeans- how many inches bigger for a IWB holster" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!