Handguns as Groomsmen gifts

PDA

stonecutter2
August 18, 2009, 12:05 PM
Hello, fellow High Roaders :)

I'm going to be getting married next June. When considering groomsmen gifts for the wedding, I realized that all of my groomsmen are familiar with firearms, and have their Illinois FOID. I started considering gifting each groomsman a pistol or revolver as groomsmen gifts. The stipulation would be maybe around the $200-350 range for each of them (there are 4, 1 best man and 3 groomsmen). Cheaper is better, but I want something of acceptable quality.

Might be an expensive groomsmen gift, but figured it would be interesting to solicit suggestions from you folks!

Thanks for your help.

Edit: Rifles may also be a possibility. Rifle suggestions are welcomed, but I prefer the idea of giving pistols/revolvers. Handguns are easier to transport, but maybe rifles would open up more possibilities at this price point?

Also, this was run by my lovely fiancee, and she thought it was a really cool idea. And of course, I mentioned that I'd have to get one for myself as well ;-)

If you enjoyed reading about "Handguns as Groomsmen gifts" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
speaksoftly
August 18, 2009, 12:06 PM
Dude! I want to be a groomsman!

stonecutter2
August 18, 2009, 12:14 PM
Dude! I want to be a groomsman!
haha :P

jn1965
August 18, 2009, 12:16 PM
Go with the Tokarov TTC. cheap and cool... You can get ones that look like htey have never been fired for $200

You can all go the range like the KGB :D

Otherwise I think you are stuck with either used or not so good as your choices...

GRIZ22
August 18, 2009, 12:18 PM
Kel Tecs, LCPs? You probably can get a quantity discount.

Drgong
August 18, 2009, 12:19 PM
A) I also ask, can I be a groomsman?

(Actually last time I was a groomsman, I was given a sword)

B) lets see

Sub 200

Nagant Revolvers
Armscors revolvers
Highpoints

200-350
Makarovs
Bersa Thunder
Taurus Millenium
Rossi
S&W model 10s

stonecutter2
August 18, 2009, 12:30 PM
Excellent suggestions so far, thanks SO much!! Keep 'em coming :D

Norinco982lover
August 18, 2009, 12:40 PM
If you could find 4 used S&W revolvers that would work...the bersa's are a great idea (9mm no .380) and the Keltec P-11/PF-9 would also work.

Perhaps grab them all a new Hipoint 9mm carbine? They are pretty sweet. I loved mine when I had it:)

~Norinco

md7
August 18, 2009, 12:50 PM
Bersa 380's are inexpensive and are very good quality. not to sound snobby, but i can afford to buy the brands of guns that i want. i would not hesitate to purchase the Bersa.

Jorg Nysgerrig
August 18, 2009, 12:57 PM
At that price, I would limit yourself to getting something that is more memorable than a Hi-Point or a surplus gun. Maybe something like a some NAA Minis and find a nice presentation box for them. Maybe get an engraved plate on the box.

Actually, thinking about it some more, this is what I would do with your budget.
For each one, get one of these:
A blackpowder revolver - Either a basic model (http://www.cabelas.com/p-0006195210082a.shtml) or something fancier (http://www.cabelas.com/p-0006184213009a.shtml).
Presentation Box (http://www.cabelas.com/p-0044098216305a.shtml)
Then have your local trophy shop engrave a small metal plate with the name of each guy, the date, whatever and affix that to the box.

Personally, I think that is way cooler than a low end pistol or carbine and should be well within your budget.

Col. Plink
August 18, 2009, 12:57 PM
How about a small herd of matching Browning Buckmark .22's? Something they can use A LOT, and says "let's go plinkin!" For the money you save you could have the barrels engraved (if you go with the slab-sided ones).

Mp7
August 18, 2009, 01:01 PM
a bunch of personalized Mosin Nagants - for them to shoot salute
with :)

i like the NAAmini idea too.

Kentucky Longrifles would make a show, too :)

( actually longarms could a too militaristic impression,
but hey i dunno who u r )

earlthegoat2
August 18, 2009, 01:11 PM
Buckmarks are a good idea too. You can get them for around 300 each online. Buuuuuuuuuuut......

NAA minis would be completely AWESOME.

I am not really that into them but if one was gifted to me as a groomsman I would be totally in shock and would cherish it forever.

Knives are also a good idea and one I have in fact been gifted as a groomsman in the past.

Weapons as gifts among friends are great ideas because they are gifts not only for dealing death but saving life as well.

Im with the idea for the NAA Mini Revolver if you can swing it. I wouldnt even care which variation it was.

DeepSouth
August 18, 2009, 01:14 PM
http://www.naaminis.com/pix/msNEW.jpg

All the way.

Drgong
August 18, 2009, 01:40 PM
I must say, the NAA revolvers are a great idea.

Norinco982lover
August 18, 2009, 01:49 PM
I change my vote to NAA mini's as well.

Custom knives would work but would take longer to find.

~Norinco

kanook
August 18, 2009, 01:54 PM
I gave my wife a NAA with her new initials on it the day we got married. Go to your local gun dude and ask him to get you 6 consecutive numbers from his supplier. You will be giving something with more meaning. If you plan on having kids, get a couple extra and let them sit till that happens. :D

stonecutter2
August 18, 2009, 01:57 PM
At that price, I would limit yourself to getting something that is more memorable than a Hi-Point or a surplus gun. Maybe something like a some NAA Minis and find a nice presentation box for them. Maybe get an engraved plate on the box.

Actually, thinking about it some more, this is what I would do with your budget.
A blackpowder revolver - Either a basic model (http://www.cabelas.com/p-0006195210082a.shtml) or something fancier (http://www.cabelas.com/p-0006184213009a.shtml).
Presentation Box (http://www.cabelas.com/p-0044098216305a.shtml)
Then have your local trophy shop engrave a small metal plate with the name of each guy, the date, whatever and affix that to the box.

Personally, I think that is way cooler than a low end pistol or carbine and should be well within your budget.
This is a contender. The historical aspect would make it fun to use, and it would be something unique. Thanks!!

stonecutter2
August 18, 2009, 01:58 PM
NAA mini's are also on my list now, too! Those would be pretty sweet :D

stonecutter2
August 18, 2009, 02:00 PM
I gave my wife a NAA with her new initials on it the day we got married. Go to your local gun dude and ask him to get you 6 consecutive numbers from his supplier. You will be giving something with more meaning. If you plan on having kids, get a couple extra and let them sit till that happens. :D
Consecutive numbers would be really cool and very special!!

stonecutter2
August 18, 2009, 02:01 PM
How about a small herd of matching Browning Buckmark .22's? Something they can use A LOT, and says "let's go plinkin!" For the money you save you could have the barrels engraved (if you go with the slab-sided ones).
Buckmark 22's! Man this is going to be a tougher choice than i thought, haha.

SaxonPig
August 18, 2009, 04:17 PM
I gave my best man a Beretta M92.

The two groomsmen got a Savage 99 and a Standard Model 22 Ruger pistol.

I chose these after discrete conversations with all three to determine what they would most appreciate getting. They were very surprised and pleased.

JHK94
August 18, 2009, 04:23 PM
Polish P64s are cheap, and I love mine.

Omaha-BeenGlockin
August 18, 2009, 04:28 PM
So that's how the other half lives--all I got was a stupid wallet---lol

md7
August 18, 2009, 04:41 PM
didn't even think of the blackpowder revolvers. i may have to change my vote in favor of the blackpowders. really classy i think.

Mr.510
August 18, 2009, 07:08 PM
+1 on blackpowder revolvers! If possible include them in one of the wedding pics, with all the guys holding their guns in defense of the lady.

At my brother's wedding we groomsmen were given really nice Al Mar knives.
:)

KevininPa
August 18, 2009, 07:18 PM
And I'm surprised nobody mentioned milsurps like FEG PA-63s or CZ-82s. Does the winning suggestion get one also?:D

Red State
August 18, 2009, 07:20 PM
I think that the Browning Buckmarks are really classy. That would be a great gift.

Everybody NEEDS at least one .22!

atomd
August 18, 2009, 07:34 PM
I like the black powder idea, that's pretty classy. But......I vote for the NAA minis. The reason is that almost everyone has a bunch of .22 lying around so they will probably use it more. Not everyone wants to clean up after and stock all the supplies needed when using black powder. Also, the mini is a real unique novelty item...something that people pull out to show friends and shoot here and there simply for the fun of it. I like the idea of the presentation box too.

bugmania
August 18, 2009, 08:31 PM
I agree with Kevininpa, CZ-82 all the way. Fantastic pistol for around $200. If you don't own one, you should.

jpatterson
August 18, 2009, 08:46 PM
Another vote for the black powder, seems really classy.

Also another vote for including me in the wedding :evil:

ETA: And congratulations :)

2RCO
August 18, 2009, 08:52 PM
I think the black powder would probably win on 2 parts

1. A cased 1851 Copy or heck about anything with a case and an engraved plate.

2. Don't have to worry about any crazy state laws and if one of your groomsmen ever moves somewhere like NYC they can keep em.

Congrats

I also like the Mini Idea as well.

Raleigh

Quentin
August 18, 2009, 08:59 PM
I like the idea of Buckmarks or Ruger Mark IIIs. What a great gift and they'd all be matching...

Taurus 617 CCW
August 18, 2009, 09:00 PM
I was going to do the same thing for my groomsmen but finances ran out before I bought the guns. I was going to go for Polish P64's with a new paint job. Good luck on choosing!

SharpsDressedMan
August 18, 2009, 10:36 PM
Stainless Ruger Standard auto .22. Classic, nice looking, and an indestructible, lifetime-of-plinking pistol. Nice to have in one's cache for a fun afternoon, or training newbies. Plus, you can get them all the same thing, and be under budget (negotiate a price with any dealer for a good deal, and have all the guys sign for their own at the gunstore...no problems with BATF, etc.)

Dr_2_B
August 18, 2009, 10:54 PM
A pastor buddy of mine gave a NAA mini to a gentleman who drove the bus for the church youth group tour. That was years ago, but what a wonderful keepsake.

Although, a 22 target pistol is more practical.

Oh and one other thing. You have no idea how much I HATE to bring this up, but be careful with the gun purchasing regs. Check into the rules before you open your mouth at the gun store.

memphisjim
August 18, 2009, 10:57 PM
i think the naa is a great idea
well made and neat

BCRider
August 18, 2009, 11:12 PM
Guns are as personal as underwear. Get them gift certificates to a good local store and let them buy what they want be it a gun or ammo for an existing gun or something related. Especially since with the budget you won't be able to buy something nice.

The sole excpetion, I have to admit, would be an NAA option since those are so out on the edge that it's far more likely that they don't have one. I've been looking at The Earl since it looks like a baby version of my black powder Remington clones.

David E
August 18, 2009, 11:18 PM
If you live in Illinois, you need to be careful. Of course, you'd need to follow all the silly FOID procedures, including keeping track of their FOID numbers for TEN YEARS, "producible upon demand."

A black powder revolver avoids all that. I suggest the 1860 Army or 1858 Remington (like Clint used in 'Pale Rider') or an 1851 Navy.

Where in Bloomington are you ? PM Me.

leadcounsel
August 18, 2009, 11:21 PM
I met a dipsh*t that gave $200 pens out once to his groomsmen... a fool and his money are soon parted.

I LOVE your idea of handguns. There are sooo many great options, but I think a stainless revolver is great BLING for a man!

VHSBD
August 19, 2009, 06:57 AM
Well first of all, congrats on getting hitched. I'd get the fancy percussion cap revolvers, and wear old fashioned suits at the wedding so you and your groomsmen can pretend to be 19th century secret agents or something.

Quoheleth
August 19, 2009, 07:32 AM
I'm on a CZ kick. You can get very nice pre-owned CZ82s (9mm Makarov) from CDNN Investments for $250. Not only is it a CZ, but it is in an affordable caliber where ammo is fairly easy to get on-line. And, it's unique to Americans.

To me, blackpowder - while cool - is not a "shooting" option. It would be on the shelf. My 2 cents worth...

Q

edit: Dang. Kevininpa beat me to the CZ idea. But he didn't tell you where to find the good ones. Do I get a cut since I gave the place to find 'em? :)

Geneseo1911
August 19, 2009, 08:24 AM
Congrats on getting married...I wouldn't trade it for anything. If she is willing to let you get guns for groomsmen, sounds like shes a keeper.

Personally, I like the NAA Mini idea the best. As has been mentioned, it's likely no one already has one, and they would make a very classy, small, discrete gift. A presentation box would be off the charts.

The blackpowder idea is fantastic in that it avoids the necessity of keeping their FOID #s on file, but that isn't that big a deal either. I probably wouldn't shoot a black powder gun that much, but these aren't so much for shooting as for sentiment/display.

Just to continue tossing out options...You might consider a set of J&G's model 64 S&W M64s (stainless model 10). This would be a good option if you want to get them something they will shoot. I'm always borrowing my Mom's model 10 when I go home; I should probably gt my own. The SS would polish up nicely with just a bit of work, and you could probably get them to send you 6 with matching grips:
http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/smith-wesson/revolver/p/smith-wesson-model-64-38spl-4in-stainless%2C-round-butt-w-bobbed-hammer-very-good-plus-condition/cPath/16_211_431/products_id/3104
http://www.jgsales.com/images/1%20SW%2064%2038Spl%204in%20SS%20DAO%20RB%20BobHam%202502039.jpg

Thomas Garrett
August 19, 2009, 08:47 AM
Get with Bellshire Hardware and see a package deal on some RIA GI's or Tacticals. Sequenced serial #'s 1911A1's .45.

stonecutter2
August 19, 2009, 09:16 AM
A pastor buddy of mine gave a NAA mini to a gentleman who drove the bus for the church youth group tour. That was years ago, but what a wonderful keepsake.

Although, a 22 target pistol is more practical.

Oh and one other thing. You have no idea how much I HATE to bring this up, but be careful with the gun purchasing regs. Check into the rules before you open your mouth at the gun store.
Excellent point - I'm guessing that I'd just want to ask for what I'm buying (for example, "5 NAA mini's with sequential serial #'s") instead of explaining what I intend to do with them. I don't want anyone nervous over straw purchases or anything. I fully intend on looking up the laws, which in Illinois I believe state that you write down the gun's serial #, the individual's FOID information (maybe a copy of their FOID...will have to check again), and then keep that info for 10 years.

I'll definitely make sure all of the legalities are taken care of.

md7
August 19, 2009, 01:27 PM
stonecutter,

this is my third post in this thread and i haven't told you congrats yet. wish you the best and congrats on the marriage.

testosterone
August 19, 2009, 01:57 PM
3 of the 5 guys in my wedding party had permits.

I bought them all O/U derringers, on one side we had my our names engraved (as in my wife and I), and on the other side, the wedding date.

Its been so long I don't even remember what they were, they were blue'd, I want say they were Cobra but honestly can't remember, and stupidly I didn't get one for myself.

It ended up in your budget range as I recall, about 230 buck each with engraving or thereabouts.

BCRider
August 19, 2009, 02:21 PM
A dealer up here in Canada is talking with NAA about a special small batch run of their Mini's that'll have a slightly longer barrel so as to fit within our laws. At the same time NAA also suggested that they could even do a run of Canada specific serial numbers. You gotta love an outfit that's willing to do something like that! So contacting them for a set of sequential serial number guns should not be an issue. And what about a custom serial range with the initials of your first names as the beginning and 001, 002, etc after? They seem to be a fairly small and accomodating company and if you can give them the lead time to do this it sounds like they are up for it. You should get "his and hers" for you and her at the same time to complete the set.

rbernie
August 19, 2009, 02:40 PM
Buckmarks or 22/45s.

stonecutter2
August 19, 2009, 05:20 PM
So, in regards to 22LR NAA mini's (which is where i'm leaning towards at this point), which length should I go with? 1 1/8" barrel, or 1 5/8" barrel? I think the shorter ones look sharper, but would that extra 1/2" make much of a difference in distance/accuracy/power?

I'm going to send an email to NAA and just get an idea of what my options are, cost, etc.

BCRider
August 19, 2009, 06:49 PM
Accuracy? We're talking about a gun that at best can be held using two fingers of a man's size of hand. I don't think gains in barrel related accuracy really enter into it.... :D Just get whichever you like the looks of. I've only shot a derringer (about the same size as the Mini) once but it was pretty much a minute of dinner plate at 6 yards sort of deal due to the issues with holding onto something this small. And until I learned to hold it with a thumb along the barrels it was more like Minute of Window sized groups of two.

My own taste gravitates to The Earl as a gun that can be held onto more securely if you're also going to be looking for fairly consistent accuracy in a gun that would see semi frequent use. It also doesn't hurt that it strongly resembles a baby verson of my 1858 Remington percussion revolvers.

mgregg85
August 19, 2009, 06:52 PM
Need another groomsman?

David E
August 19, 2009, 07:52 PM
Keep in mind, buying 2 handguns or more within 5 days requires the dealer to submit a form detailing your information to the BATF....

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
August 19, 2009, 07:57 PM
"....you just might be a redneck." :D J/K, I like this idea.

I'd go with rifle because it's a bit more refined / sophisticated. But if you do go pistols, and you're looking cheap, AND if buying new, it's very very hard to beat the Bersa Thunder 9 (either fullsized or compact) in a sub-$350 value pistol.

makarovnik
August 19, 2009, 10:19 PM
Probably not a good idea these days.

ElToro
August 19, 2009, 11:08 PM
if a gun for each buy turns out to be to big a hassle, Buck knives will let you build custom folders online

http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?event=customKnife.build

all kinds of nice materials and engraving available.

still made in america.

congrats on your nuptials.

stonecutter2
August 19, 2009, 11:44 PM
Keep in mind, buying 2 handguns or more within 5 days requires the dealer to submit a form detailing your information to the BATF....
Not overly concerned about this. The BATF can pay me a visit all they like, and I'll produce any documentation that they ask for. But the hassle aspect is obviously something to consider.

stonecutter2
August 19, 2009, 11:45 PM
if a gun for each buy turns out to be to big a hassle, Buck knives will let you build custom folders online

http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?event=customKnife.build

all kinds of nice materials and engraving available.

still made in america.

congrats on your nuptials.
Some of the custom options for Buck knives do look pretty sweet, and very classy! This is another great option...thanks for the link!!

21bubba
August 20, 2009, 12:17 AM
Congrat's Naa mini all the way. By the way, what are the bride maids getting?

tkopp
August 20, 2009, 12:19 AM
Probably 1911s.

David E
August 20, 2009, 12:49 AM
If you have about $350 to spend for each groomsmen, get them a Chris Reeve Small Sebenza for $385.

Unlike the NAA or Bersa, they can use it daily and not be ashamed to show it to someone.

22LRFan
August 20, 2009, 12:51 AM
I like the NAA Mini idea, but has anyone brought up how there is the cap and ball NAA Mini option:

http://naaminis.com/naac&b.html

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?id=0003223&navCount=1&parentId=cat20817&masterpathid=&navAction=push&cmCat=MainCatcat602007-cat20817&parentType=index&indexId=cat20817&rid=

It looks like they are willing to accept special orders (i.e. matching serial numbers).

http://www.naaminis.com/custset.html

I think other neat black powder ideas would be either a flintlock "dueling" style pistol or a derringer.

The last wedding I was in, we all went golfing the day of the wedding. Will you and your groomsmen hit the range before you say goodbye to singlehood?

On whatever you choose congrats on getting married!!!

doc2rn
August 20, 2009, 01:23 AM
Congrats!

C-grunt
August 20, 2009, 03:50 AM
I like the NAA option. I have always wanted one.

stonecutter2
August 20, 2009, 08:38 AM
I like the NAA Mini idea, but has anyone brought up how there is the cap and ball NAA Mini option:

http://naaminis.com/naac&b.html

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?id=0003223&navCount=1&parentId=cat20817&masterpathid=&navAction=push&cmCat=MainCatcat602007-cat20817&parentType=index&indexId=cat20817&rid=

It looks like they are willing to accept special orders (i.e. matching serial numbers).

http://www.naaminis.com/custset.html

I think other neat black powder ideas would be either a flintlock "dueling" style pistol or a derringer.

The last wedding I was in, we all went golfing the day of the wedding. Will you and your groomsmen hit the range before you say goodbye to singlehood?

On whatever you choose congrats on getting married!!!
Actually, I was looking at the cap and ball 22LR!

And yes, some shooting will be in order before the wedding - my fiancee's grandfather owns a big chunk of land and he has a range set up on it. The plan is to see if we can just go out there for a camping weekend of shooting :)

rogertc1
August 20, 2009, 09:17 AM
NAA mini's is kinda weddingish...

testosterone
August 20, 2009, 09:59 AM
In retrospect, I would have loved to have done NAA Mini's, but it would have broken the budget.

Personally I would do the 1 1/8" .22lr variety. They are a hoot to shoot.

I see legal questions here.

How I handled it was, the three guys that were being gifted the guns actually went to the gun shop and filled out the paperwork and took possession, I never owned them.

We tried to work it out another way, but any way we sliced it, it always looks like a straw purchase, the only way that everyone is happy(me, dealer, state police, etc....) and there is no evil doing happening is if the guys just go to the shop, fill out the paper work, NICS check, and pick them up directly.

The way we did the "unveiling", my wife and I made a little video, driving to the gunshop and the dealer took them out of the boxes and showed them off. We played the video at the rehearsal dinner which was a week prior to the wedding. The next day, the guys took a field trip to the shop to fill out the paper work and pick them up.

CJ
August 20, 2009, 11:20 AM
Boy, I was going to suggest some chrome slide Kel-Tec P3ATs, but then saw the NAA mini suggestion. What a great idea for a groomsmen's gift!

Great process suggestion from testosterone about how to go about it as well.

Fryerpower
August 20, 2009, 11:37 AM
Give these guys a call and see if you can get a group discount.

'Like New In Box - Ruger GP100's'

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=465647

Read the thread, you may be able to get them in great shape, possibly even get sequential serial numbers. Imagine the group photo of all of you in tuxes with the revolvers in hand!

-Jim

tuckerdog1
August 20, 2009, 11:52 AM
I like the NAA idea.

The last time I was a best man, the groomsmen all got nice knives. I was given a RCBS reloader.

Tuckerdog1

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
August 20, 2009, 11:52 AM
Those minis suck; don't do it. I had one. If you are hitting a barn from the inside, maybe... Don't get me wrong; they're well-made; just very inaccurate, very noisy, and very jumpy in the hand. Less useful than a knife at the distances at which you could actually hit (which is knife-fighting distance).

stonecutter2
August 20, 2009, 01:36 PM
In retrospect, I would have loved to have done NAA Mini's, but it would have broken the budget.

Personally I would do the 1 1/8" .22lr variety. They are a hoot to shoot.

I see legal questions here.

How I handled it was, the three guys that were being gifted the guns actually went to the gun shop and filled out the paperwork and took possession, I never owned them.

We tried to work it out another way, but any way we sliced it, it always looks like a straw purchase, the only way that everyone is happy(me, dealer, state police, etc....) and there is no evil doing happening is if the guys just go to the shop, fill out the paper work, NICS check, and pick them up directly.

The way we did the "unveiling", my wife and I made a little video, driving to the gunshop and the dealer took them out of the boxes and showed them off. We played the video at the rehearsal dinner which was a week prior to the wedding. The next day, the guys took a field trip to the shop to fill out the paper work and pick them up.
This is probably the best approach to take - makes everything legit and super easy for everyone :)

DC300a
August 20, 2009, 02:14 PM
+1 for Blackpowder

JHK94
August 20, 2009, 02:18 PM
Blackpowder would be really cool!

Also, who doesn't love a S&W revolver?

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/smith-wesson/revolver/p/smith-wesson-model-64-38spl-4in-stainless%2C-square-butt-w-bobbed-hammer-very-good-condition/cPath/16_211_431/products_id/3103

rogertc1
August 20, 2009, 04:24 PM
I have a mini 1 1/8" BBL and it is a neat little pistol...Get the .22LR's and because you have bucks to spare get a holster grip. Opens up like with a snap of the wrist.
http://www.naaminis.com/lrifle.html

stonecutter2
August 20, 2009, 08:12 PM
This thread has been SO helpful! Thanks to all of you, again.

So, I've narrowed my choices down to the following:

1) NAA Mini Revolver 22LR
2) Cabela's Remington 1858-type Black Powder revolvers (or a model similar)
3) Custom Buck Knife, Model 110 Hunting Knife (classic) - Black handle w/mirror finish blade...goes well with a tuxedo ;)

I have an email out to NAA about custom serial #'s, sequential serial #'s, engraving (if possible) and other customizable options, and of course cost.

The other thing to include in cost of NAA mini's (not including black powder) is the FFL transfer fees involved in buying this many handguns. I'm looking at close to $100 in fees, depending on where I get this done. That makes black powder a LOT more attractive. Although it would be more "hassle" to load up a black powder revolver, I don't have any...and I know none of my friends do, either. And they would totally love the historical aspect of loading a revolver the way they used to back in the Civil War days :)

If I decide to forget about the handgun/revolver thing, then the Buck knife will be a really sharp (pun intended) groomsmen gift, and then i can get cool "serial numbers" engraved like 001, 002, 003, 004, etc.

Thank you again for all of the congratulations, and the ideas! Feel free to keep 'em coming, as I'm trying to plan way ahead of this. I want to make sure what I get is something really fun, cool, and different :)

Geneseo1911
August 20, 2009, 08:44 PM
You should check with a local dealer on the NAAs. He should be able to order sequential serial nos. from his distributors (or directly from NAA, who would be more likely to deal with him directly than you). My dealer can usually get me as good or better a price than I can get online, and I would bet a local guy would cut you a better deal than usual if you're buying 5 or 6.

The only reason you should have to pay any extra fees is if you somehow buy them directly from NAA and have to have them transferred to you. In this case NAA should be selling them to you below retail so you should wind up even anyway.

In regards to the straw purchase comments, as long as you pay for them with your money (ie not your friend's money) its NOT a straw purchase. Even in Illinois, firearms are still personal property and can be given as a gift.

If you can't tell, I'm Extremely jealous of your groomsmen. I would love to have a Mini, but just can't seem to buy one for myself.

ETA: If you don't already have a relationship with a dealer, I hear good things about Darnall's. I'm closer to Champaign, but I took an Appleseed at Darnall's and have gone over a couple times for shotgun hulls & powder. They seem to be good, helpful people. I think they are the only non-pawnshop dealer in B-N, so I assume you're aware of them.

rogertc1
August 21, 2009, 07:39 AM
Don't black powder firearms have to go through a FFL dealer in Illinois?

Try R-guns?
http://www.rguns.net/index.shtml

BullRunBear
August 21, 2009, 08:21 AM
First, congratulations on your upcoming marriage (getting married was certainly the smartest thing I ever did) and to a gem of a woman who thinks firearms make good presents. I showed your post to my wife and she thought it was a great idea.

I vote for the black powder revolvers. They are affordable, look neat, you avoid a lot of purchasing/record keeping hassles, they can be transported almost anywhere and they are less expensive to shoot than anything except .22s. Even if none of you are familiar with them, it can be a voyage of discovery together. You don't even have to use black powder (my preference) because Pyrodex from Wal-Mart will work fine.

Finally, what about a matching set of Colt 1851 Navy revolvers for you and your bride? Each year the both of you can have an anniversary shoot before the dinner or other celebration.

Jeff

stonecutter2
August 21, 2009, 01:54 PM
Don't black powder firearms have to go through a FFL dealer in Illinois?

Try R-guns?
http://www.rguns.net/index.shtml
It's my understanding at this point that an FFL is not required for purchasing a black powder gun in Illinois, however someone buying one must have a valid Illinois FOID. From Illinois' perspective, a black powder gun is considered a firearm. Federally, they are not considered firearms. So I think the Illinois FOID is required, and that's all. Obviously I'd double check with all of the requirements from whoever I'm buying from :)

VeggieH
August 21, 2009, 02:03 PM
matching feg p-63s those aluminum lowers are easily engraveable,and you can get them under $200 if you buy more then one (I bought two for $400)......

stonecutter2
August 21, 2009, 11:07 PM
Got a reply to my email from NAA - they're currently not taking custom orders, and they don't do engraving. However, I'll probably ask a local dealer to see if they can get sequential serial #'s, and i'll get a price quote for how much they'll cost each when buying 5 or 6.

orvpark
August 22, 2009, 12:14 AM

A blackpowder revolver - Either a basic model or something fancier.
Presentation Box

Read my mind on the black powder. The NAA is a great Idea.

rogertc1
August 22, 2009, 07:26 AM
Cabelas has a lot of BP pistol to choose from.
However they state that BP firearms have to ship to a FFL.
Find a friend in Iowa.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/common/search/search-results1.jsp?No=0&sort=all&QueryText=black+powder+pistol&Ntk=Products&_D%3AhasJS=+&Go.y=4&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&Go.x=12

stonecutter2
August 25, 2009, 09:49 AM
I've decided to go with black powder revolvers :)

I just think that they'll be something neater to hold onto, even if they're never shot. It's something that would look great to display, or even just to have around and play with.

After watching a video of how to load them, I'm surprised how easy it actually is.

Since I'm in Illinois, I'm going to call up Cabela's and get the scoop on how I would get them. If it involves an FFL, as was mentioned earlier in the thread, there's a place called Darnall's near me who does cowboy action shooting and I think they can set me up with some revolvers.

If there are transfer fees, though, I do have a friend in Indiana ;) Paying transfer fees on 5 or 6 revolvers would be a hefty additional expense.

If, in the end, I decide that I don't want to pay the final figure I come up with, I will probably go with the custom Buck knives because those are really cool, and they'd be useful :)

Thanks for all of your help with this! I may have to get myself a revolver early, to inspect the quality and everything :D

federalfarmer
August 25, 2009, 09:39 PM
Ruger 10/22's -- everyone has one and everyone wants another one as a project gun.

I am a wedding photographer if you need one!

spumwuzzle
September 23, 2009, 12:38 AM
I gave 22 mag North American Arms to my best man and groomsmen, with custom S/N's... their initials and the wedding date.

If I recall correctly, the man I spoke with at NAA was a Mr. Green.

Maybe your wedding being far off, and this being wedding gifts will soften the "no new custom orders" policy.

I bought five - four for the guys, and one for me.

They all LOVED it. One man has passed away prematurely, and his is now owned by his son. Truly heirlooms, as I had hoped.

03Shadowbob
September 23, 2009, 09:00 AM

I call my minimag my Tuxedo gun which is what it is. This is a great idea and you can get them for around $200 or so then have them engraved with something cool they will remember. Just make sure you get them the 1 1/8" barrel 22mag.

eatont9999
September 23, 2009, 12:11 PM
All I got was the privilege of paying for the tux and drinks at the reception. :(
I second the NAA minis. Lucky groomsmen!

keen one
September 23, 2009, 12:25 PM
I gave Stanley Thermos's and received pens, swiss army knives and cuff links.
I would give my eye teeth for a 22LR pistol or revolver Ruger has some in the $ range your looking. Not too fancy but properly oiled will last indefinately.

Best wishes in your marrage.

mustang_steve
September 23, 2009, 01:29 PM
Yep, NAA mini revolver, .22mag, matching grips. That's inexpensive, classy, and useful.

Revolver Ocelot
September 23, 2009, 01:34 PM
I vote in favor of the naa mini mag whichever you prefer.

sebtool
September 27, 2009, 04:34 PM
NAA's and blackpowder guns are cool, but if you want to give them something that they'll actually shoot, I'd go with either a 10/22 or similar .22 rifle, or the Buckmark or Ruger Mark IIIs.

Those will be guns that are actually practical and will be used as soon as they're given, not to mention good guns to teach their kids with down theroad. Better odds of being creating lasting memories for the guys and their kids, and being handed down thru the family. And as another poster stated, everybody either has 1 or wants 1! Or 2.... You can never have too many .22s!

Just my .02! Congrats! Especially on marrying a girl who's cool with an idea like this - should be a keeper!

Another thought just popped to mind - if the guys are all hunters, why not a shotgun? Mossberg or Reminton pumps, consecutive #s, and possibly engraved? Slug barrels for deer in Il.? Good practical gift, too! (BTW - I'm close enough that I could make it to the wedding, IF you needed another groomsman, and I could wear camo if needed! :))

NMGonzo
September 27, 2009, 04:53 PM
I will have to buy Makarovs for my groomsmen.

That would be my choice.

KarenTOC
September 27, 2009, 05:51 PM
Better not forget the bridesmaids!

Shipwreck
September 27, 2009, 07:37 PM
Stoeger Cougars are decent guns for that price - $350 max usually. They are essentially Beretta Cougars (Beretta owns Stoeger)

Bobster
September 29, 2009, 07:07 PM
Just got in.

With what you are spending on the wedding, honeymoon, etc. (to say nothing of what you have already dropped courting your sweet betrothed,) stop going cheap on your best-est buds. Debt Merchant that I am, may I say go with some Wilson 45's. (and something less expensive for The Bobster for this great idea.)

VPLthrneck
September 29, 2009, 07:30 PM
Get them each a M/N 91/30 and a Nagant Revolver. And with the price range you set you'd still be able to aford a box of ammo for each.gun. :D

Jed Carter
October 2, 2009, 07:42 AM
1860 Army revolvers, in a presentation case, engraved would cost a total of $250-$300...It's a gift, not a weapon.

MT GUNNY
October 2, 2009, 03:58 PM
I think derringers would be wourth consideration, however the NAAminis have the majority Vote!

If you enjoyed reading about "Handguns as Groomsmen gifts" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!