30 Remington AR vs 30 BR

PDA

SteveW-II
August 18, 2009, 07:30 PM
Is this the same cartridge ?

I was wondering if anyone had chambered an AR platform in 30 BR (as an alternative to a 6.5 Grendel) and a web search threw up the 30 RAR. I had not heard of the 30 RAR before. Looks like it was first announced about a year ago. Any 'users' out there ?

S.

If you enjoyed reading about "30 Remington AR vs 30 BR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
R.W.Dale
August 18, 2009, 08:47 PM
The 30 be is a variation on the old standby 6mm Norma benchrest. While the cartrides are similar as far as I know 30br has never had a pressure standard applied to it. Most loads benchresters shoot would be concidered a small nuke in an ar15 platform

SteveW-II
August 18, 2009, 09:24 PM
Yes, I think I know the 'evolution' of the 30 BR. The 30 RAR is a new one to me..

R.W.Dale
August 18, 2009, 11:43 PM
The RAR is essentlly a somewhat smaller slightly reworked BR with an established chamber and pressure rating designed to work in the newly introduced large shank ar15 uppers. Performance is somewhat similar to the old 300 savage in ballistics.

Even though the two cartridges look quite similar they share no common history. As far as I know the rAr hasn't made it's way to the public just yet.

matrem
August 19, 2009, 06:31 PM
As far as I know the rAr hasn't made it's way to the public just yet.
Been "looking" since March.
I'll certainly agree with that.

SteveW-II
August 19, 2009, 09:43 PM
I was about to ask if anyone knew what the 30 RAR ballistics were, but krochus answered that with : 'similar to the old 300 savage'.

So that is about 2600 fps with a 150 grain projectile (got that from here : http://www.shootingtimes.com/ballistics/300_savage.html).

That is very close to 308 performance. At most, 300 fps slower. I wonder what the pressure specifications are.

If you enjoyed reading about "30 Remington AR vs 30 BR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!