Taurus AR-15

PDA

SaMx
August 19, 2009, 02:20 AM
http://forums.gunsandammomag.com/forum/general-shooting-information/taurus-ar-15-pix-heavy

>Will get to shoot it after lunch, but so far I'm impressed. Tolerances are really, really tight. There is no rattle in this gun. It's a piston gun, with changes made to prevent carrier tilt. The "muzzle brake" is especially cool. It's hex-shaped, so you can turn it on or off with a box- or open-end wrench. Turned one way, it works as a flash supressor, rotated the other way it acts as a brake.

>100% American-made

>Because of the economic downturn, Taurus found manufacturing capacity in the aerospace industry. They brought their AR ideas to the aerospace engineers and asked, "Can you make this, and can you make it better within this price range?" The answer was "Yes."

>So now, Taurus has Morrison wo has a long background with the right and wrong things Colt did with the AR, and aerospace engineers who live in a world of tolerances to the nth degree.

>Receivers start as a billet of 7074-T651 aluminum. This is the aluminum Boeing uses in air planes. Barrels are match-grade stainless steel with cut rifling 1:8-inch twist.

>Tango-Down B616 grip
>Taurus quad-rail fore-end
>Flip-up sights
>Single-stage trigger
>Vltor adjustable Mod Stock

>MSRP starts at $1,500

If you enjoyed reading about "Taurus AR-15" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kwelz
August 19, 2009, 02:49 AM
Forgive me if I am more than a bit skeptical on the quality of a Taurus AR. At least they are using some decent accessories out of the box though.

Texpatriate
August 19, 2009, 04:43 AM
Interesting. Everybody seems to want to get into the AR business these days. I say the more the merrier, keep 'em in "common use". Doubt I'll be trading any of mine in for one made by Taurus though. Or Remington, or Ruger for that matter.

C-grunt
August 19, 2009, 07:05 AM
I dont care how good it shoots, I bet they stamp a giant TAURUS on the side of it. Id probably buy their 1911 if it didnt have that huge ugly stamp.

PandaBearBG
August 19, 2009, 07:24 AM
Agreed, I don't care how it shoots either, there are plenty of time tested AR manufacturer's out there already, one more player in the game should hopefully drive prices a bit lower so I can get some brothers and sisters to my lonely guy. :)

Runningman
August 19, 2009, 07:51 AM
Will get to shoot it after lunch, but so far I'm impressed. Tolerances are really, really tight. There is no rattle in this gun. It's a piston gun, with changes made to prevent carrier tilt. The "muzzle brake" is especially cool. It's hex-shaped, so you can turn it on or off with a box- or open-end wrench. Turned one way, it works as a flash supressor, rotated the other way it acts as a brake.

>100% American-made

>Because of the economic downturn, Taurus found manufacturing capacity in the aerospace industry. They brought their AR ideas to the aerospace engineers and asked, "Can you make this, and can you make it better within this price range?" The answer was "Yes."

>So now, Taurus has Morrison wo has a long background with the right and wrong things Colt did with the AR, and aerospace engineers who live in a world of tolerances to the nth degree.

>Receivers start as a billet of 7074-T651 aluminum. This is the aluminum Boeing uses in air planes. Barrels are match-grade stainless steel with cut rifling 1:8-inch twist.

Whoever wrote this sounds like a used car salesman.

Storm
August 19, 2009, 10:26 AM
MSRP of $1500?

nulfisin
August 19, 2009, 10:30 AM
Huh? The whole point of buying Taurus is to get a good (not great) gun at a great price. For example, my PT1911 is a fine gun. Shoots where I aim and goes bang every time. Not at the level of, Springfield or Wilson Combat, but one-third the price -- if that.

They're "shooting themselves in the foot" here.

CornCod
August 19, 2009, 10:33 AM
These days $1500 is the middle of the pack. Taurus is not selling to its particular strength: The Budget market. What America needs is a decent $500.00 AR! Just like at ar earlier time it needed a good 5 cent cigar! My guess is that there are all sorts of blue collar guys out there "settling" for WASR's when they really want an AR.

minutemen1776
August 19, 2009, 10:45 AM
What America needs is a decent $500.00 AR!

Agreed. But Olympic Arms tried this with the Plinker. I'm not sure of the $500 price point, but Olympic was definitely pursuing the budget-minded AR-15 market. For their trouble, their whole reputation has taken a hit. To this day, I still encounter people who believe that all Oly Arms receivers are cast. The problem is, with all the chart-wielding AR-15 info brokers out there, you'd need a reputable name to sell a budget AR-15, but no one wants to stake their reputation on a rifle that will necessarily have cost-cutting measures engineered into it to meet the price point.

Storm
August 19, 2009, 10:47 AM
I agree, if that is indeed the pricing of the Taurus they will be in trouble right from the git-go.

CoRoMo
August 19, 2009, 10:58 AM
Taurus AR @ $1,500 MSRPI don't see anything appealing there. Maybe if one of those two variables change, I'll look again.

minutemen1776
August 19, 2009, 11:06 AM
Frankly, I didn't get excited about the new Ruger piston AR-15 at its price point either. Even after I handled one and saw that it has nice Troy BUIS, I still wasn't interested in spending that kind of money on it. Makes me wonder how much of a market there is right now for $1,000-plus AR-15s. Someone must be advising these manufacturers that there's some money to be made this way.

Dimis
August 19, 2009, 01:16 PM
unless a new manufacturer comes out with a SUB 1000 AR theres no room for the new guy at all

EVERY company thinks that the M-4gery knockoffs they sell are going to be worth way more than what most of them acctualy are

it would be a nice change of pace to see a company release an AR that the general public could afford forget all of the add on stuff thats what tacks up the price in the end anyway

we need a DPMS in better quality well the old DPMS anyway the new ones are getting a bit too highly priced too

Justin
August 19, 2009, 01:31 PM
MSRP's are always overstated by at least a couple of hundred dollars.

EdLaver
August 19, 2009, 01:41 PM
I'll take an upper only and for the right price $499 max.

mp5a3
August 19, 2009, 01:42 PM
Is there anybody out there you guys think "should" make an AR ?

chris in va
August 19, 2009, 01:46 PM
CZ?:eek::D

offthepaper
August 19, 2009, 02:15 PM
CZ

Now, that would be worth checking out!

CoRoMo
August 19, 2009, 02:20 PM
is there anybody out there you guys think "should" make an ar ?

Springfield Armory!!

R.W.Dale
August 19, 2009, 02:26 PM
And thus the cycle continues.

The wunder9 fad begat the cult of the m1911 JMB which has now begat the EBR M4gery fashon. Once manufacturer offerings reach a critical mass and everyone has one a new "chosen one" will become elevated above the multitudes. Seems to take about a decade.

krs
August 19, 2009, 02:31 PM
What I think is good about this, and the S&W, and the Ruger is that these major corporations are placing big bets in terms of development, manufacture, and marketing costs by bringing these AR's to the US market.

I've got no doubt that they all have better and more accurate ways to place their corporate fingers on the pulse of our legislative bodies in order to determine the likelihood of any sort of assault weapon ban than do you, me, or the lamppost and they are putting their asses on the line in a belief that no such ban is forthcoming.

mp5a3
August 19, 2009, 02:33 PM
What year was the grandaddy (Colt 6920) released ?

SaMx
August 19, 2009, 03:41 PM
I admit my first reaction was "meh, another piston AR," but it is interesting, and actually pretty cheap when you consider the price is the MSRP, not the actual price, and how much other piston ARs are going for.

Scott E Mayer
August 19, 2009, 03:44 PM
Whoever wrote this sounds like a used car salesman.
What makes you say that?

SaMx
August 19, 2009, 03:48 PM
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=456560
someone pointed out the upper and lower might be from Sun Devil
http://www.sundevilmfg.com/products.php

carbine85
August 19, 2009, 08:08 PM
My experience with Taurus has been good and I think the value is there. Time will tell if there venture into the AR15 is viable or not. Ruger seems to be doing ok, I don't see why Taurus can't.

Nugilum
August 19, 2009, 08:23 PM
mp5a3

Yes. FN for civilians.

matrem
August 19, 2009, 09:42 PM
I dont care how good it shoots,
I don't own any Taurus products either,(not that there aren't a few I wouldn't mind having!) but don't you think you may be just a bit bias?

noob_shooter
August 19, 2009, 11:38 PM
cut that in half and i might check one out..

rogertc1
August 20, 2009, 10:14 AM
I bet it will go for around 850...I'd buy one if I didn't have quite a few AR's already to include a Daewoo (adj piston).

W L Johnson
August 20, 2009, 10:23 AM
I bet it will go for around 850.
Probably, I can't believe people think the MSRP is the price it will sell for. The MSRP is wishful thinking of the OEM

Schleprok62
August 20, 2009, 08:13 PM
To this day, I still encounter people who believe that all Oly Arms receivers are cast. The problem is, with all the chart-wielding AR-15 info brokers out there, you'd need a reputable name to sell a budget AR-15

And in all fairness, the Olympic Arms Plinker Plus is a decent rifle... I never had any trouble from mine...

the chart-wielders either have there mindset so far back in time that they don't see reality as it is, or they are just so dead-set-brand specific. i.e. the "Chart" is dated... and Olympic Arms hasn't used a cast receiver in quite a while...

Most of the "budget bashers" have never owned a budget AR... (not all of us can afford a Noveske) My Oly ran just fine right next to a Bushy one day... we were both there just a shootin away... niether one us had any issues to scream and hollar about... although I did get a few comments that the Oly was as accurate as the Bushy... Now I have a DPMS, it runs fine also... as sub-$1000 AR's go...

9x19sig
August 20, 2009, 08:25 PM
Personally I would pass on the Taurus AR-15. But, if Lorcin, Jimenez, Bryco, Davis or Jennings decides to tool up to produce AR-15's, sign me up.

z3ro
August 20, 2009, 08:39 PM
I would buy it. I like the way my taurus handgun (pt945) feels and how it works. I def wouldnt pay 1500 bucks for one though. Like someone mentioned before, Taurus is definitly a "budget gun" company.

Plus that compensator looks sexy

MD_Willington
August 21, 2009, 12:37 AM
They need to make an economical piston upper 300-400, couple that with a complete lower around 200, $600 AR...

lipadj46
August 21, 2009, 12:58 AM

Izhmash :neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "Taurus AR-15" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!