Best broadhead on the market?

PDA

blackops
August 19, 2009, 03:32 AM
I used to think Rage was all I would ever need. Now I have no doubt with what broadhead I'm going with from now on......Muzzy MX-3 100GRNS. What a great broadhead! These suckers just fly straight and cut like no other. I shot one in a palm tree trunk (just to see how nasty they are lol) and let me tell you that dang broadhead put the arrow a good 5 inches in that trunk. Don't get me wrong Rage leaves a nice whole, but pass throughs are few and far between. Anyways let me hear what you guys say about your best broadhead?

If you enjoyed reading about "Best broadhead on the market?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
3pairs12
August 19, 2009, 08:45 AM
I like G5 Monotecs. One piece surgical steel sharpenable fly great.

troyboy94
August 19, 2009, 09:02 AM
Thanks for they advice. I was leaning toward either the Rage or Muzzys, but his made me lean more towards the Muzzy.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
August 19, 2009, 09:48 AM
Muzzys are great because:

1. They are very cheap
2. The chisel point offers superb penetration in the event of hitting bone
3. They come with non-sharpened blades for practice use in your broadhead targets
4. You can choose 2, 3, or 4 blade broadheads in a variety of weights

There are many broadhead that will work just fine, so I don't think you can say there's one best. I don't care for mechanicals anymore after a few experiences of getting mud in them - the grit can prevent them from opening.

Another good inexpensive blade that flys very true to your field points is Eastman "First Cut" 2-blade. These are not chisel point though.

WBNH
August 19, 2009, 09:56 AM
I'm a fan of the Wasp Hi-Tech Hammer SSTs...

...admittedly I've never passed one through a deer - but they require no reajustment of my sights when switching from the field points and Pass deeper into my shotblocker bowhunter than the field points. You've probably already read a few reviews...everyone swears by them. Of course generations swear by the Muzzy's too...can't go wrong with either if you've got good shot placement.

One thing I believe the Wasp's have over the Muzzys is the tricon point - the three cutting surfaces line up with the edges of the replacable blades...they don't line up on the Muzzy's.

With the Muzzy's the blades install from the front and you screw the point on with a wrench...with the Wasp's you install the blades from the rear - the point is always lined up - and you don't mess with O-rings or any of that.

Plus, around here, they come in a six pack for barely a few dollars more than a three pack of muzzy's...

JGReed
August 21, 2009, 05:03 PM
I like the Tekan by G5. I've shot four deer with it, ranging from 11 to 37 yards...all four were passthroughs and the furthest one ran was 60 yards. Plus they shoot about two inches lower than my field points so I don't have to monkey too much with it before the season starts.

tango2echo
August 21, 2009, 07:34 PM
Muzzy MX-4 100gr four blades. I have shot over three dozen deer with that broadhead and all have gone down within 60 yards. All but two were through-and-through with great blood trails.

t2e

61chalk
August 21, 2009, 08:17 PM
Tryed several type over the years, then used Muzzy's 4 blade 100gr. Have never
looked for another broadhead, an probably never will, they really are "Bad to the Bone".

41 Mag
August 21, 2009, 11:04 PM
For all around use and abuse I would have to put my money on the Magnus Stinger or Buzzcut. However, I have shot the Slick Trick Standards and Magnums most of last year with a Grizz Trick thrown in here and there, and lastly but certainly not least the one I am leaning hard on this year is the Razor Trick.

Other than the Magnus heads all above mentioned had simply been switch from field to broad head and go hunting. Nothing changes from POI out to 40yds unless I switch arrows. Even then I only need to adjust elevation for the lighter weight arrows.

I am fortunate to hunt with a great friend and his family on their property. They more or less say what to use within reason, and nothing mechanical goes. Personally I do not really like anything that has moving parts and thin blades anyway so that is a moot point. With all of the above mentioned head the blades are at least .030" thick, with the Razor Trick being .040" and all are easily resharpened. The only drawback in the Magnus line is the aluminum ferral where the Tricks are all steel. Not a big issue as i have only ever bent one and that was after it went through my target and crashed first into a chain link fence, and then cedar fence post.

Greebe
August 21, 2009, 11:16 PM
Man no pictures?

Greebe

atomd
August 21, 2009, 11:18 PM
I'm going to vote for Slick Tricks (the regular ones). They fly great for me and are built well. Truth be told though....there's tons of great broadheads on the market right now. I think the new mechanical designs are pretty good but I like the fixed blades a bit more at the moment.

H&Hhunter
August 23, 2009, 12:47 AM
Another for G5 mono tech. Rugged fly straight and I've got one that I've killed three critters with. They are awesome!

blackops
August 23, 2009, 02:47 AM
Yeah, I think the Rage broadheads are great, but I'm still not sold on them or any of the mechanicals for that matter. I agree as well that there are a lot of great broadheads out there, we are all different and like different things, our choices are indication of this. Bottom line is if you clip the vitals with any broadhead itís game over.

3pairs12
August 23, 2009, 01:00 PM
Rugged fly straight and I've got one that I've killed three critters with

Same here the only problem I have with that one is I had a pass through on an Armadillo and hit a pretty good size rock. Got some dings in it now but nothing that won't easily sharpen out. I just put to the back of the stack for a while and will resharpen it later.

Supertac45
August 24, 2009, 02:59 AM
Muzzys.......

If you enjoyed reading about "Best broadhead on the market?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!