How often do you clean your EDC/CC Piece?

PDA

zombienerd
August 19, 2009, 07:30 AM
It has been a week or so since I cleaned my Bersa, and I was just looking at it closely, noticing little pieces of leather (new holster), some "dust", hair, etc in the nooks and crannies of the gun...

I can be a little anal about the cleanliness of my carry piece, I want it to always be clean so nothing inhibits function should the need arise, but I find that if I look close, I'd end up cleaning the thing probably daily, and that could grow to be a big time sink.

So, my question to you all: How often do you actually clean your daily carry gun? Are you worried that a few small pieces of leather in the barrel or wedged in between the slide and frame would inhibit proper operation? Should I just give in to my "OCD" and clean it every day, or should I just ignore the "daily dust" and let it go a few weeks between cleanings?

If you enjoyed reading about "How often do you clean your EDC/CC Piece?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
middy
August 19, 2009, 10:02 AM
I wouldn't carry a piece whose function would be inhibited by lint...

I clean my Glock when it makes my hands dirty to handle it. :D

I'm sure your Bersa would work just fine full of dust, hair, etc.

saltydog452
August 19, 2009, 11:41 AM
IWB and pocket carry is a lint magnet.

I field strip and blow out the lint kinda regular on the Cmdr and 38s. Miltec-1 seems to lessen the lint accumulation. No effect on reliability with my mags, ammo, and pistols so far. We'll see.

House guns get the same treatment, less the Miltec, but less often. My bride says that Miltec 'stinks' and makes her sneeze.

I like the smell. Kinda like Hoppes No. 9, or diesel fuel...nice boquet and travels well. (There oughta be a grin here...lame attempt at humor)

I forget stuff so it helps to string various 'to do' items together. Usually, the house guns get attention after use or whenever I change the oil in the bride's Granny Van.

This seems to work for me and mine.

salty

22lr-shooter
August 19, 2009, 11:51 AM
The local gun range (same place I did my ccw class) never does more than run a brush down the barrel, pull the slide back and a couple drops of oil that they let run down the slide rail and thats it. Maybe wipe off the feed ramp. They dont field strip them. The guns have many many thousands of rounds through them and work just fine.

I have been doing the same thing. My little Taurus PT22 rides in a pocket holster all the time and gets taken to the range frequently. I give it the quick brush and oil drops (takes about a minute or 2) and it has never failed. I do check it over for any obvious big chunks of stuff that could hamper its function.

I did take my Walther P22 down once, but what a pain to put back together (mainly getting the recoil spring back where it belongs) so I dont strip it anymore either...brush and oil...works like a champ every time.

Before we traded away my wifes Springfield XD it never got cleaned and always worked 100%.

Eightball
August 19, 2009, 12:28 PM
I clean it after I shoot it, and any time it looks like it needs cleaning when I eyeball it--and lint doesn't count, I just exhale and it goes away.

S&W 638, btw.

kanook
August 19, 2009, 05:46 PM
I cleaned my daily carry and found about an ounce of belly button lint in it. (just kidding)

TheProf
August 19, 2009, 08:40 PM
I field strip clean my CCW every time I shoot it. At the very least, it gets field strip clean once a month.... whether fired or not.

I don't do detail cleaning. (I'm afraid I can't put it back together.) (Some have said that you can take apart a gun too often...and do more harm than good. So...that's my excuse for not detail cleaning.)

mljdeckard
August 19, 2009, 08:50 PM
I agree with the above exactly. About once a month and after shooting. I don't reassemble and then re-fire. If I didn't trust my gun to function after a regular cleaning, I wouldn't carry it.

I also agree that it is many times more likely that you will damage your gun by detail stripping it than you are by not cleaning it to that level. If you want a gun to tinker with, explore, and accessorize, get a different one and don't carry it.

zombienerd
August 19, 2009, 09:11 PM
I've never "completely" disassembled any of my guns.

I just "field strip"... Remove the slide, recoil spring, and clean from that level. Honestly, I'd be afraid of what I'd see if I took the Bersa down to piece parts.

I think I'll stick with your guys' advice, and just clean it after shooting. It really doesn't make any sense to think that a bit of leather and dust in the barrel/action would cause any serious issues.

Oh, and I'll toss in a picture I took today, just for the heck of it :D

http://www.ccrvb.com/Bersa-s.jpg

The Lone Haranguer
August 19, 2009, 09:14 PM
I would clean my gun if I saw fur balls and dust bunnies in it, yes. :p I also - if I have not shot them for a considerable time - like to periodically relubricate them.

... and I was just looking at it closely, noticing little pieces of leather (new holster) ...
Hopefully the leather will "etch" itself and conform to the shape of the gun so it doesn't have strips peeled off it. The gun may also have unwanted sharp edges.

Mikhail Weiss
August 19, 2009, 09:31 PM
How often do you clean your EDC/CC Piece?

Hmm. My toting-around gun gets cleaned once a week, which is as often as I shoot it. My other one gets cleaned when I feel like I should clean it, but sometimes that's a long time between cleanings (say many, many many months), and sometimes it's every few weeks. I've detail stripped the latter a couple of times, but not the former. Interestingly enough, the latter, which I've had a lot longer, and which, until recently, had fired a jumbo-bunch more rounds, was surprisingly clean inside, perhaps even astonishingly clean, and this was a pistol I carried concealed for a bunch of years and shot the dickens out of. I suspect, though, that it was so clean because, when I carried it all those years, I cleaned it every time I shot it, which was regularly. Nothing more than a field strip cleaning, though.

SHOTGUN PETE
August 19, 2009, 09:36 PM
Canned air will blow the lint out but if your life ain't worth the time to completely clean your weapon once in a while that's your issue.

SHOTGUN PETE
August 19, 2009, 09:46 PM
The above is a general statement not addressed to anyone in particular.

ChCx2744
August 19, 2009, 09:59 PM
Either everytime i shoot it or maybe once every couple months or so, provided it hasn't seen any action.

bigfatdave
August 19, 2009, 11:22 PM
I cleaned my daily carry and found about an ounce of belly button lint in it. (just kidding) You can load that lint into the empty space in your hollowpoints if you feel the need to save it.
(don't do that)

I clean my EDC after shooting, and whenever I have the cleaning kit out for something else, if it has been a while since a clean-out. I've been checking for lint, and even with the muzzle exposed, I'm not seeing much beyond a few linty bits here and there.

If you really feel the need to know how long you can go between cleanings, keep a log of days carried and rounds fired for an extended period of no cleanings or lube. Assuming you go to the range on a fairly regular schedule, you should get an idea of the kind of neglect your EDC can take before a malf. occurs, and then clean at about half that interval.

outerlimit
August 19, 2009, 11:46 PM
I fired some old ammo out of it and some new ammo to function test it a few weeks ago. I've been carrying it everyday and haven't cleaned it yet. I haven't lost any sleep over this.

evan price
August 20, 2009, 06:06 AM
I figure the dust bunnies and crud will give the mugger tetanus if he survives the initial shooting ... :)

middy
August 20, 2009, 08:07 AM
If you really feel the need to know how long you can go between cleanings, keep a log of days carried and rounds fired for an extended period of no cleanings or lube. Assuming you go to the range on a fairly regular schedule, you should get an idea of the kind of neglect your EDC can take before a malf. occurs, and then clean at about half that interval.

I don't know if I could afford that much ammo (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=462537).

outerlimit
August 20, 2009, 09:19 AM
That and Wolf ammo is why I don't like to buy used guns. :what:

CoRoMo
August 20, 2009, 09:45 AM
Someone here has a sig line that reads something like...

Always carry a dirty gun.

I might alter it a bit to say...

Never carry a freshly cleaned & unfired gun.

The idea here is that you don't just disassemble your EDC, clean and lube it, and then carry it that way. You ought to pop off a few rounds, a full mag, to make sure you reassembled everything properly. Now that you know it functions the way it should... carry the snot out of it.

aji
August 20, 2009, 10:32 AM
Rotate a number of carry guns on a weekly basis. Clean the carry piece at the end of the week whether it has been fired or not. Thank you

Dr_2_B
August 20, 2009, 08:40 PM
I prolly don't clean mine enough

herkyguy
August 20, 2009, 09:31 PM
When my CC gun starts looking 'dry', i like to wipe it down with a gun cloth to keep a light coat on the outside. If i take it to the range, it gets field stripped and cleaned. I only wipe it down because it is exposed to sweat quite a bit and i have seen anecdotal reports of rust developing.

smallbore
August 22, 2009, 06:34 PM
Regularly

geronimo509
August 22, 2009, 09:55 PM
My brother shot his carry gun in the winter sometime and cleaned it right after the range and barely touched it since and definetly didn't clean or lube it. It was a kimber ultra carry II. (He doesn't carry that often.) We went to the range today and he shot one round and JAM. Two more rounds and JAM.

I carry every day all day. I clean my guns(pocket and IWB) at least every 2-4 weeks. I had zero malfunctions.

BTW, I had him draw and fire like he would in a defensive situation(I did too), with SD rounds that were in the magazines already.

Please clean and lube your Carry guns regularly!

armoredman
August 22, 2009, 10:16 PM
The last thing I do after cleaning is load a pencil down the empty bore, and see if the firing pin makes the rubber eraser dance. Yes? Then all good. Have no live ammo anywhere nearby when doing this.
I clean usually after each range trip, but sometimes not for a day or so - the P01 will function just fine. The P07 hasn't had a rod down the barrel yet, seeing what it will take.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/takeyourpick.jpg

Malamute
August 23, 2009, 12:36 PM
Maybe a couple times a year. Unless it gets rained on,...then it gets wiped off with a sleeve, or something. Usually... If I remember....

I dust it off with a toothbrush every few months. I know it went over a year between cleanings at least once when carrying in the hills in Az. I've killed a deer, several coyotes, and many many bunnies with it. It always, always has worked.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/Malamute/outdoor%20sports/IMG_1299.jpg

420Stainless
August 23, 2009, 05:11 PM
On average about once a month. I don't get to the range often, but whenever I go, I shoot up the mag. I use for my carry piece(s), go through some practice ammo, and clean upon returning.

Peakbagger46
August 23, 2009, 05:27 PM
I clean after I shoot, and about once every couple of months if it is not shot. I feel the need to keep the gun clean not only for reliability concerns, but so the investigators can tell I didn't shoot if I was near a shooting and didn't deploy my weapon (I would cry if my sig went away for 5 years of court trials).

Marlin 45 carbine
August 23, 2009, 05:41 PM
a strip down clean after every range trip (about 3-4 times yr) but I have an air compressor handy in my tool shed so a blow down of my both my Mak and Beretta .32 maybe once a month. my .32 is w/me at most all times. my Mak in my vehicle or on m/c and if wearing a vest/jacket on me. a wipe down about weekly.
I should add that I use a product made in Summerville S.C. for lube, it comes out as a sort of foam and when wiped/rubbed around it drys some. not a 'sticky' or 'greasy' film. it's in a spray can, X-19A. more of a lube than a penetrant. about the best gun/tool lube I've used cheap too. some sort of synthetic compound.

jackstinson
August 24, 2009, 08:59 AM
I usually throw a couple dozen handguns in the washing machine whenever I do a load of towels.

bigfatdave
August 24, 2009, 01:42 PM
I usually throw a couple dozen handguns in the washing machine whenever I do a load of towels. That's a good idea, but the clanging from the dryer drives me nuts!
And I'm not hanging them on the line to dry, what would the neighbors think?

scotthsi
August 25, 2009, 08:34 AM
The idea here is that you don't just disassemble your EDC, clean and lube it, and then carry it that way. You ought to pop off a few rounds, a full mag, to make sure you reassembled everything properly.

Um, if you can't put your carry gun back together properly from a simple field strip/cleaning, you shouldn't be carrying (or probably evening owning) guns in the first place.

Ever heard of a safety/function check? After making sure the weapon is clear, rack the slide and (if applicable) engage the safety. Pull trigger to check safety. Then take safety off and pull the trigger to ensure the hammer or striker "fires". An EXCELLENT way to do this, as previously mentioned, is to hold the gun with the barrel pointed upward and drop a pencil (eraser end first) down the barrel. Pull the trigger and make sure that pencil jumps up. Guns will react differently, so know what to expect. My Glocks and Kahrs (striker fired) make the pencil jump up a bit. My Kimber 1911 will launch the pencil clear out of the barrel.

After that, insert an EMPTY magazine and rack the slide to ensure the slide lock engages. Drop mag and pull slide back to make sure the slide lock disengages properly. You can also use snap caps. Also check the magazine safety at this point if the gun has one. Do all this and, unless a bad round is loaded, your carry gun WILL fire when needed as it is working properly.

shotgunjoel
August 25, 2009, 08:57 AM
Malamute, that is a fine looking gun.

lt522
August 25, 2009, 09:18 AM
I clean mine after shooting ( more than 1 mag.) , and about once a month I lightly oil the slide. So far no failures in 13years.

Kerf
August 27, 2009, 05:03 AM
there are some guns you void the warranty on if you run a brush down the barrel...

and there are some plinkers where it really doesn't matter...

Kerf

Kerf
August 27, 2009, 05:07 AM
Malamute,

Ditto what shotgunjoel said.

scotthsi
August 27, 2009, 07:32 AM
Kerf, what barrel conversion is that in your first picture? I'm pretty darned sure it's on a modified Ruger 22/45 grip/frame. I just looked at mine and it's exactly the same except for the enlarged area right above the trigger guard.

middy
August 27, 2009, 11:51 AM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/Malamute/outdoor%20sports/IMG_1299.jpg

Drool.

Tell us more about your M29 Malamute! What year? What kind of grips are those?

General Geoff
August 27, 2009, 12:01 PM
I clean my EDC gun after every range trip, and I try to put some rounds through it at the range at least once every two months..

Kerf
August 27, 2009, 03:36 PM
I think they call that a "THR" conversion (or do I just have "the high road" on my brain) and it is on the Ruger 22/45 frame, and it is very accurate with the tensioned barrel.
Neither is EDC, which is straying from the original topic, whereas Malamute's photo is OT and I too would like to hear more on the subject. Plus, that's a really good photo.

Kerf

ArmedBear
August 27, 2009, 03:56 PM
I generally carry a revolver.

I inspect it, spin the cylinder, etc. I put a drop of oil here or there if something feels a little less free-wheeling, wipe it off where it needs it to keep sand/dust/crud away, and clean the charge holes and bore after I shoot it extensively (if I just put a few rounds through it, I leave it alone until I am cleaning something else anyway).

It pretty much always works and looks like it's brand new and freshly oiled, with minimal maintenance.

Revolvers are wonderful things.

Turbobuddha
August 27, 2009, 04:24 PM
Summer in the heartland. I run a patch down the barrel and lube the slide on the main carry once a week, more often if it ends up sitting in the hot car very much. General inspection and function check with snap caps once a week or every other week, just to be sure. Revolver (back up) gets a periodic wipe down and inspection but not as often as the semi.

And of course a good cleaning after any time on the range over a couple test rounds here and there (to clear out the rounds that get cycled a few times during weekly inspection and lubing and further very functionality, just to be sure). My carry guns don't get shot alot and I have a matching gun to my EDC that I use for training, classes and general range range work since it sometimes get banged around more.

Malamute
August 27, 2009, 04:40 PM
"Tell us more about your M29 Malamute! What year? What kind of grips are those?"

I'm not sure what year, I bought it new in about '82. Grips are factory smooth targets that I shortened. I removed about half the wood below the frame, and removed some wood in the front of the grips using a 1950's N target set that I really liked the feel of as a guide. I also rounded them off all around. The newer factory grips (even early 80's)feel way too square to me. Most of the older Smith grips are very nicely rounded in their circumference. I beveled the front edge of the cylinder, and ground the hammer spur down to service length. It's had a light polish inside, but otherwise nothing fancy done to it, just shot a fair bit.

I've shot a deer, several coyotes, and lots of small game with it over the years. (edit, just realized I'd said that before. Must be a sign of geezerhood,...) Used to shoot at a particular steel plate quite a bit at our spot in Az, and was able (with witnesses) to make 5 hits out of 6 shots on the 18"w x 36"h plate @ 300 yards, kneeling. That was with 1000 fps loads, most likely using Lyman 429421 bullets cast from wheel weights with Alox lube.

Someone mentioned "spinning" the cylinder. If you make a habit of spinning it back and forth a few times with a bit of force by using the extractor rod, you can sometimes catch it unscrewing the rod before it causes any grief. Best to torque them well with a couple empty cases in the chambers and a couple blocks of wood on the rod in a vise.

To keep this somewhat on topic, this gun has probably been cleaned far fewer times than most newer guns on this thread. The finish is a bit rough, mainly holster wear, some small rust spots, but it's been absolutely perfect in its performace, in what many would consider abusive conditions and care. I figure I've always given it enough care that I know it will work when I needed it. I really like it, but it doesnt get any babying.

rondog
August 27, 2009, 05:49 PM
I carry a 1911, and those were designed to still function while full of crud. So every couple of weeks, when I think about it, I'll take it out in the garage and blow it all out with the air compressor. Just to get the dust bunnies out. Once in awhile, I'll drop the mag, clear the chamber, and put a few drops of Weapon Shield here and there. Load 'er back up, cock and lock, and go on my way.

middy
August 27, 2009, 05:52 PM
I love the look of a well-used blue S&W, and I love the 4" M29s. I knew I had never seen grips quite like those. Thanks, Malamute!

scotthsi
August 27, 2009, 06:13 PM
I carry a 1911, and those were designed to still function while full of crud.

What kind of 1911? Lots of 1911s out there these days with tight tolerances and don't do so well when "full of crud". If you have a basic government type model, then okay...

rondog
August 27, 2009, 06:17 PM
Rock Island. Basic M1911A1 platform.

scotthsi
August 27, 2009, 06:27 PM
Ok, good choice. Those are pretty loose 1911s.

Blue Brick
August 27, 2009, 10:19 PM
1XQM

Bad Penny 03
August 28, 2009, 12:45 AM
I'd be afraid of what I'd see if I took the Bersa down to piece parts.

WTH are "piece parts?"

You mean stripped beyond field stripping level? To armorer level?
To the bare frame?

scotthsi
August 28, 2009, 08:23 AM
1XQM

????

zombienerd
August 31, 2009, 10:42 AM
To the bare frame?

Yep... Disassemble until there's nothing left to unscrew/pop out/etc anywhere... I've never taken off the grips, removed the trigger assembly, or disassembled the inside of the slide.

scotthsi
August 31, 2009, 10:53 AM
Zombienerd, are you sure you really want to do that? What type of gun do you want to detail strip all the way down? It's not really that hard on most modern guns. Even the 1911 is pretty easy once you've done it a few times. I've had mine down so far that the only thing I didn't remove was drifting the sights out of the slide. The Glock is 10 times easier to detail strip.

I ask why you want to take it down so far because many people get in over their heads and wind up taking a bag of parts to their gunsmith to fix. Or worse...they get it put back together incorrectly and don't know how to function check it, resulting in a very potentially UNSAFE condition. But, if you are wanting the knowledge to learn how your guns work and/or how to fix them, then that's great! That's what I did and there are some very helpful and free tutorials on the internet. Once I found them, I either saved them or linked them in a "gun folder" on my desktop for future reference.

P97
August 31, 2009, 11:04 AM
I fieldstrip and clean my CCW once a month. I run a boresnake through it after each shooting. Done this for the last 5 years and no rust and alway functions everytime I pull the trigger.

Bad Penny 03
August 31, 2009, 03:46 PM
Quote:
To the bare frame?
Yep... Disassemble until there's nothing left to unscrew/pop out/etc anywhere... I've never taken off the grips, removed the trigger assembly, or disassembled the inside of the slide.

Ah, I see...
I've been a shooter, handloader, and smith for 25+ years and never heard the expression "piece parts" before.

zombienerd
September 2, 2009, 11:43 AM
I've been a shooter, handloader, and smith for 25+ years and never heard the expression "piece parts" before.

Heh, sorry, didn't know how else to describe what I was trying to explain.

"Piece parts" is used in the electronics world to refer to loose components before installation. :D

As for detail stripping, I may be interested in figuring out how to do it on my pistols, but I don't think any of them need it quite yet. I was just musing about how much "crap" I would find if I did so.

Jackal
September 2, 2009, 12:28 PM
I clean mine about once every 6 months. I only shoot it a few times a year though.

Bad Penny 03
September 2, 2009, 03:01 PM
"Piece parts" is used in the electronics world to refer to loose components before installation.

No biggie...I was just confused.

See that's why I love the forums...I even get to learn about electronics.
:)

If you enjoyed reading about "How often do you clean your EDC/CC Piece?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!