Truglo sights with Tritium

PDA

wbwanzer
August 20, 2009, 09:40 PM
I had been researching FO sights for my XDm and decided to go with the Truglos with Tritium because I have them on another gun and like them a lot. I sent the slide to Gilbert's Guns and they did a great job. I took the slide to the Post Office on Saturday about 11:00. They close at noon on Saturdays. I expected Gilberts would get it about Tuesday or Wednesday as I hadn't asked for any special type of delivery, just insurance. Well, Monday about 1:00pm I get a call from Gilberts wanting my payment info. Wednesday it was back in my hands. I was pleased.

Here are two pictures.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m145/wbwanzer/Truglo001.jpg
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m145/wbwanzer/Truglo002.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Truglo sights with Tritium" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ecbaatz
August 25, 2009, 05:38 PM
I hope you have better luck with them than I did. I had TWO front sites lose the glass tubes. I will never buy truglo again. They were mounted on a Kimber Custom II.

Trebor
August 26, 2009, 12:06 AM
I've had a set on my Sig 239 for over a year now. I wrote a detailed review over at Epinions.

Tritium Fiber Optic Sights (http://www.epinions.com/review/Tru_TG131HT_Tritium_Fiber_Optic_Sight_H_K_Usp_Models/content_423361678980)

rcmodel
August 26, 2009, 02:12 PM
Not to be to critical of the installation job.

But the crack under the front sight looks like you could drive a truck under it.
They are supposed to fit tight against the top of the slide to keep them from breaking off from recoil.

rc

shotout
August 29, 2009, 07:32 AM
I put a set of the Tru-Glow TFO sights on a P239 shortly after they came on the market. Hesitated on buying them because of that big gap under the front sight. Every other pistol I have seen has been the same. Well, gave them a try anyway. Has not been a problem for me but is still don’t like to see it. The recoil could get it or something could get wedged under it.

Other than the gap, I am very pleased with them and have added them to other pistols since. The P239 has been carried everyday, all day since and gets shot quite a bit. These sights have held up well.

I like the sight picture my old eyes get in the daylight. They can be seen well enough without my glasses. With the Tritium inserts they show up well in the dark too.

The first set was installed by a gunsmith, knowing how tight SIG dovetails are, was afraid I might damage them. Since then, have made a fixture to do in my shop, no problems with any of them.

Had not thought about it before hand, but noticed that the gun is easily located at night. Those little glowing dots are nice.

Should one get damaged, it will be replaced with the same thing.

bigmike45
August 30, 2009, 08:43 AM
I have had a set of them on my XD45 Service for a couple of years now. I have over 5000 rounds through the gun. My sights do not fit tight against the top of the slide either. They still work like new without any problems. One thing though is I had my installed professionally by a gunsmith that has a heavy duty bench mounted sight pusher. This way there is no chance of cracking the tritium vial thus shortening the life of the sight. The vials take the linear motion of the slide with little or no problems but the traverse or sideways jarring motion of a punch or drift being struck by a hammer can damage them.

I am thinking of having the slide of my Taurus PT-145 cut to accept them.

bigmike45

EHL
August 30, 2009, 05:05 PM
Funny how I always here complaints about Truglo and vials breaking and stuff. I've got three sets of them installed on 1911's and I've not had one problem. The only complaint I do have is that they do not sit flush on the slide as others have noted. Still hasn't affected accuracy and to this date with several thousands of rounds and daily concealed carry, not one problem. I'd choose a Novak or any other brand out there if they would just give me the same option of Tritium and Fiber Optic all in one package. Nobody else out there is addressing this consumer demand, so until I see another option, Truglo will get my business.

P.S. Truglo's customer service is terrible!

shotout
August 30, 2009, 10:12 PM
I had the same concerns about someone using a hammer to install the sights and quizzed the gunsmith before leaving the pistol with him. Did not see him install mine but he did have a beefy little fixture that used a screw to force them in.

The fixture I made was to be used in a mill. The slide is removed from the frame and placed on a steel holding fixture in a mill vise. For the sights, 2 slots were milled in the bottom of a 1” sq bar about 4” long. The slot widths match the sight widths. In the top of the square bar is a press fit 5/8” dowel pin. This goes in the collet. This sq bar is lowered so that it bridges the mill vise jaws to assure it stays level. The slide fixture holds it at the proper height. The Y axis screw is used to press the old out and the new in.

Since the sights to be removed were known to be in the correct place for me, I took the time to measure the locations before removing them. The new ones were set to the same measurements using the digital readout. Worked out great.

Sounds a bit complicated but it’s not really. Used materials on hand and it took less time to make than the drive to town. Takes about 10 minutes to change out a set of sights and most of that is measuring the set to be removed. My motive was not save money, just wanted to give it a try.

That gap still bugs me, was just about to get over it until now. It has not been a problem yet in any way. My old eyes like the sight picture with the fiber optics and daylight.

If you enjoyed reading about "Truglo sights with Tritium" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!