FEG PA-63 question

PDA

The grons
August 21, 2009, 01:26 AM
I bought a new PA 63 for CCW, shoots great, put the 11lb hammer spring on it but and 13 lb recoil spring. I had one problem after the spring change in that one of the shells got caught while ejecting, also it spit the shells a lot further. I didn't notice much change in the recoil so I put the factory recoil spring back on, since the gun was brand new I figured I'd be OK.

I have cleaned the gun very well and have put 300 rounds through it but it seems as though every time I run a patch through it I can still see black on the patch. Could this be due to the break in period of a new barrel?

I also sent in for some Marschal grips because I didn't want the thumb rest on this one since it is a CCW I am interested in a slim gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "FEG PA-63 question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
weregunner
August 21, 2009, 01:44 AM
I have the makarov and have seen black come off the cleaning patches. A lot of it has to do with the ammo residue just being that way and some bullet residue. That's at least the way it works for me. Nothing to worry about as far as I can see.

http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45
http://www.p64.proboards67.com/
http://bryco-jennings-jimenezarms.com/forum/

This is where other P63 info can be found.

christcorp
August 21, 2009, 01:46 AM
Well the black is obviously the ammo you are using. But this is going to get me in trouble with OCD crowd; but here goes. I don't really pay attention to what patches look like cleaning my barrels, because I only clean my barrels about twice a year. And that's with shooting them at least once a month. And I even shoot lead bullets down many of my guns.

If you're shooting wolf ammo, it's a little dirtier than Silver Bear. Also, the black on the patches could be because you're not cleaning the barrel with a brush well enough. Also; what makes you think that it's a "New" barrel and needs to "Break In"?

weregunner
August 21, 2009, 01:46 AM
There is also this.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=347578

The grons
August 21, 2009, 01:52 AM
I bought it in the box with the factory oil on it...it was brand new

weregunner
August 21, 2009, 02:08 AM
Have to agree that it is the ammo leaving deposits behind. Nothing to worry about.

These guys hit the nail on the head about that.

The grons
August 21, 2009, 02:12 AM
Thanks All,

I was concerned that maybe the barrel was wearing away...

Cactus Jack Arizona
August 21, 2009, 03:40 AM
Get yourself some Hoppes Elite and a bore snake. The bore snake for the 9mm/.38 Special will work. Spray the Hoppes Elite down the barrel and let it sit for a couple of minutes. (This is just to clean the barrel, not to clean the entire gun - I use G96 and a soft toothbrush on the rest of the gun when cleaning). Take the bore snake and run it through the barrel from the ramp to the muzzle. Run the snake through the barrel about two or three times. End result, it will be much cleaner than if by using the patches, and far easier and faster.

Some people are selling the FEG PA-63 as new. Technically speaking, they are not new. The PA-63 models were produced back in the 60's, maybe even as far back as the early 50's. According to the claims of one source, my serial number shows my PA-63 to have been built in 1951. I don't know how accurate this source is but it really doesn't matter. I carry mine even with the thumb rest. However, I would like to change grips.

Anywho, I will not part with my PA-63 and it absolutely looks like a brand new gun after I clean it.

Enjoy!

The grons
August 22, 2009, 02:03 AM
Thanks Rami; even though the gun was built in the 60's isn't there a chance that it was warehoused for decades?

I don't think it is possible for a used gun to be in the pristine conditon that mine was in. I bought it from KBI and there is absoltely no wear on the barrel, internal parts, grips, clip and the alloy body; I don't think they can restore these guns with an alloy finish and to take a used gun and bring it to this condition would cost more than the original gun. I took this gun completely apart and there wasn't a trace of usage... still had the factory grease, KBI reproduced the owner's manual. I can tell if a gun has been fired before and this one had no trace of any usage...

Do you know of a Website that I can go to and enter the serial number to determine its mfg date?

Thanks,

John

weregunner
August 22, 2009, 02:27 AM
Since that is a pistol was made by FEG, they are bankrupt, and their site is defunct, there seems little chance to find out exactly when that pistol was made. The records are with the defunct company.

The grons
August 22, 2009, 11:23 PM
I found some plastic flat grips for this gun for about $25 at:

vintage gun grips the grips are: Femaru AP9 Pistol Grips ao-F23

weregunner
August 23, 2009, 12:52 AM
Grons, nice collection of firearms.

If you enjoyed reading about "FEG PA-63 question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!