Tactical mini 14

PDA

Younggunner
August 21, 2009, 11:09 AM
Does anyone have any experience with that tactical mini 14 with the folding stock? It looks cool but is it a decent gun?

If you enjoyed reading about "Tactical mini 14" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Art Eatman
August 21, 2009, 11:49 AM
A Mini-14 is a Mini-14 is a Mini-14, and the pros and cons have been beaten to death in some forty-eleven threads. Great for hunting, lousy for target shooting. Uber-reliable.

If what you're into is "cool" and folding stocks, the Mini oughta do as good as anything.

30mag
August 21, 2009, 12:12 PM
Minis are uber reliable?
I don't think I've heard that before...

Younggunner
August 21, 2009, 12:16 PM
Sarcasm?... I can't tell

30mag
August 21, 2009, 12:33 PM
Seriously, I'm pretty sure all I ever hear from people about minis is bickering about their accuracy.
And how far they throw brass.

JohnnyOrygun
August 21, 2009, 12:42 PM
I have the tactical with the folding stock. While I haven't shot it yet, hopefully today. But the folder locks up tight. I didn't buy it for the folder but rather for the adjustable part. All in all, I like it, the top rail seems perfect for mounting a scope in the scout position.

IMHO
John

GW Staar
August 21, 2009, 01:00 PM
Minis are uber reliable?
I don't think I've heard that before...

I bought a Mini 14 stainless model, the first year they came out. Have shot it a good deal since (probably needs a new barrel). No it isn't as accurate as some...yet it's certainly accurate enough to shoot prairie dogs, defend myself, and have a hell of a lot of fun. All these years and NO jams...ever. It has digested every brand I loaded it with including steel cased Russian stuff...and reloads loaded with regular (not small-based) RCBS full length dies.

Perhaps that might be called "uber reliable"?;)

P.S. You can shoot it reliably while it's dirty as hell, yet it's easy to take down and clean...unlike AR 15's

Younggunner
August 21, 2009, 01:27 PM
Ok Johnny make sure to let me know how it shoots.

Younggunner
August 21, 2009, 01:28 PM
Sounds good GW thanks!

30mag
August 21, 2009, 01:45 PM
@GW
Very cool.
Sounds like something I need.

Burk1951
August 22, 2009, 12:56 AM
I got a mini 14 about 6 months ago and was thinking about putting a tactical stock on it, but the more I look, the less I like the idea. I've got a KR model and I think it looks great. Most of the stocks I've seen for the mini make them look cheaper, imho.

JohnnyOrygun
August 22, 2009, 02:41 AM
I took it out for some informal plinking today. I wasn't really shooting for accuarcy, mainly to try the two promags out that I bought, they were flawless. I only put 60 rounds through it as I didn't have much time. I was really happy with the results. I had never shot a mini before today, but I had no problem keeping a pop bottle flying and that was point shooting, not aiming. When I was done the barrel was really hot, sizzled when I touched it with a wet finger. I really like it and after I get a low powered scope for it, I will spend some quality time with it. Now I need to stock up on some ammo and some more mags.

YMMV
John

OurSafeHome.net
August 22, 2009, 06:04 AM
I don't know, there was a group of Vietnam veterans that operated in the LA underground in the 1980'a and they had folding stocked Mini-14's...

...they fired something like 2 million rounds at bad guys and never hit any of them.

GW Staar
August 23, 2009, 03:45 PM
I don't know, there was a group of Vietnam veterans that operated in the LA underground in the 1980'a and they had folding stocked Mini-14's...

...they fired something like 2 million rounds at bad guys and never hit any of them.

:rolleyes: There is irrefutable proof that the Brady Bunch secretly supplied them with ammo that shot backwards.

cchris
August 24, 2009, 12:45 AM

Well, let's face it - anything they shot never hit anyone. Of course these guys could also walk away from explosions without a scratch. I pity the fool that couldn't.

GW Staar
August 24, 2009, 11:52 AM
There is irrefutable proof that the Brady Bunch secretly supplied them with ammo that shot backwards.
Well, let's face it - anything they shot never hit anyone. Of course these guys could also walk away from explosions without a scratch. I pity the fool that couldn't.

That would be the guy the Brady Bunch hired to test fire the "special" ammunition.:cool:

Dollar An Hour
August 24, 2009, 12:03 PM
Mini-14's don't suck nearly as bad in real life as they do according to all the 'experts' on internet gun forums.

Rshooter
August 24, 2009, 01:05 PM
Mini 14's uber reliable? Their actions are built using the action of the Garand and M14 as a model. I have had one for over twenty years and the only issue was the aftermarket sight I put on it fell off the last time I was at the range. Operator error. :eek:

stubbicatt
August 25, 2009, 09:21 AM
They are a neat rifle. I hope to get one some one of these days.

Norinco982lover
August 25, 2009, 10:00 AM
Saiga in any caliber:) The mini-14's are not bad. I don't want one tho. Too many other good options.

~Norinco

NC-Mike
August 25, 2009, 10:37 AM
P.S. You can shoot it reliably while it's dirty as hell, yet it's easy to take down and clean...unlike AR 15's

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g312/Mike____Smith/Miscellaneous/butthead_beavis.gif

:D

GW Staar
August 25, 2009, 02:13 PM
Intolerant Butt Head!!! or is it Bevis?:D

NC-Mike
August 25, 2009, 04:44 PM
Intolerant Butt Head!!! or is it Bevis?

I'll answer to Butthead... :o

TexasPatriot.308
August 25, 2009, 04:51 PM
I just ordered a mini 14, the new black furniturre with flash suppressor that just came out, any info out there form anyone on these. also I bought me a Mini 30 with the first 3 numbers being 189XXXX, does anybody have any input on that particular model??

sebtool
August 25, 2009, 06:13 PM
My Mini is a 180 series, an early 1. When I got it, I got it cheap becasue the owner said it was junk, wouldn't load the shells, bad accuraccy, etc.
1st thing I did was strip it down and cean it. Found out later htat the owner only shot the cheapest ammo he could, and wasn't much on cleaning his guns.

After about 3-4 days ofcleaning and soaking the accumulated Russian, chinese, indian, yugoslavian - whatever cheap stuff was availabe - powder and 'gook' from the barrel and chamber, the gun shot like a dream. And it still does! I have never had a jam or FTF, but I keep it pretty clean.

Not quite m.o.a., but not far off! I even shot a couple High Power Rifle matches with it and did OK, not great. At the longest range - 500 yds if iirc, l had a decent group, but it was low. I was there by myself, and couldn't seem to get anyone to spot for me, sooo... I sucked. Didn't do too bad at the shorter ranges. And would like to get back into it, if time permits, shortly. (that was in '96-97)

The bottom line is, it's not an AR, but my mini 14 is a damn good gun, and it ain't for sale!:neener:

GW Staar
August 26, 2009, 10:35 PM
I just ordered a mini 14, the new black furniturre with flash suppressor that just came out, any info out there form anyone on these. also I bought me a Mini 30 with the first 3 numbers being 189XXXX, does anybody have any input on that particular model??

I don't know much about the Mini 30's. My buddy has one and has tried two different non-Ruger brands of 30 rnd. mags. So far only his Ruger 5 Rnd. mag works...at all. Beware of the cheap mags.

If anyone know of a mag that actually works for the Mini-30? I'm sure TexasPatriot308 would like to know.

If you enjoyed reading about "Tactical mini 14" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!