"Never sell a gun"

PDA

ChronoCube
August 21, 2009, 02:11 PM
A lot of people online say from experience that you should never sell a gun if it is in working condition. They seem to regret selling their firearms.

Please provide your thoughts and comments on this.

If you enjoyed reading about ""Never sell a gun"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
longdayjake
August 21, 2009, 02:14 PM
The only gun i have sold i dont regret selling it one bit. It didnt work correctly and I didnt like it. That said, all of my guns that I like and work well will never be sold unless someone with a ton of money comes by and wants it. Why, because you will always get a craving to shoot it again someday. Without fail.

gondorian
August 21, 2009, 02:20 PM
I always wonder if these are the same people who buy a gun because it is "a good investment" hmm. ;)

mljdeckard
August 21, 2009, 02:22 PM
The only reason I have sold working guns was financial difficulty, meaning, when I was young and stupid and couldn't keep my finances straight from one week to the next. Buy a $1000 precision rifle one month, and sell it the next month at a horrible loss to make my car payment.

Now that I'm more stable, I've leveled out a lot. I still fall in instant lust with guns, but I don't buy them JUST because I'm in lust with them.

The ones I will never sell include heirlooms like my grandfather's 1917 Enfield and M-1 Carbine. I had a great Remington 700 VS I still miss, but....it's not like I can't get another one either.

CoRoMo
August 21, 2009, 02:24 PM
I won't. I don't buy my stuff on whims. I research pretty extensively so that I end up with the precise meld between the quality I'm looking for and the price I'm willing to pay.

Every single one is a keeper.

wickedsprint
August 21, 2009, 02:24 PM
I have sold and bought a lot of guns since I was 21..the only 2 I ever regret offloading were 2 of my 1911s, one a Pristine Norinco..the other a NRM Colt..my first Colt actually. I was a dumb college student.

lebowski
August 21, 2009, 02:25 PM
My guns that I like and that work properly I won't sell.

I do have 1-2 guns that I bought and for whatever reason they didn't live up to my expectations (like my kel-tec P3AT which isn't very reliable) that I'm willing to sell.

Shung
August 21, 2009, 02:26 PM
I only sell when I can get a better gun !

HoosierQ
August 21, 2009, 02:27 PM
For the most part that is true. There were a couple that weren't very good that I sold and don't miss. But I sorely miss four that I sold because I had to pay bills and put 4 kids through college...simultaneously.

GP100 - I cry every night and am fixing to buy a new one.
Mini-14 - Fun gun I got a good deal on and miss, 5-round mag or not.
Savage Model 24j - 22mag over 20 ga - Gun shop guy's eyes lit up on that one...and I'll never see another one of those.
S&W Model 40 lemon squeezer - I now have a 642 but I wish I had sold that to my buddy who collects old S&Ws and still doesn't have one of these.

So selling a gun hurts but you can never say never.

In my case, I have purchased 4 guns anew since the troubled times that caused me to sell these.

BMF500
August 21, 2009, 02:29 PM
I've never sold any, but I have traded one for another. The gun I traded just wasn't for me but I took some time shooting it to figure that out. That said I don't buy any that I don't really like or plan on keeping because one day I hope to have a "vast collection" of firearms that I like and suit me.

Tennessee Ned
August 21, 2009, 02:29 PM
I regret selling the guns that I've sold and trading guns that I've traded but I'm only talking about 4 guns, (three Walthers and a mini 30). I don't really miss the Ruger but I wish that I had those 3 Walthers back.

Cosmoline
August 21, 2009, 02:30 PM
I've bought and sold a bunch of firearms over the years. I only get attached to a small number. I regret some of the prices I sold some at, but that's about it. If I have more than a half dozen firearms at any time they become an encumbrance. They're tools for doing things with. Why would I have 100 hammers in a big chest?

My vintage typewriter collection, OTOH...

mcdonl
August 21, 2009, 02:36 PM
I have gun equity... it grows, over the years but guns come and go. I get rid of one gun to partially fund a better one. Eventually I will have all of my "dream" guns but I have to work my way up there.

ezypikns
August 21, 2009, 02:36 PM
The only handguns I ever sold that I didn't regret, were two j-frame snubbie revolvers (even with the lightest .38 sp loads they were still too painful to shoot), and a Glock 34 (though they're fine pistols, they're just not for me).

Legionnaire
August 21, 2009, 02:45 PM
I've bought and sold many over the years. Try not to do either on a whim. Mostly don't regret my decisions, but there are a couple I regret letting go. That said, none of the guns I sold were "rare" to the extent that I couldn't replace them if I wanted to spend the money again. I'm with Cosmoline: they are tools, and I don't get particularly attached to them.

In a related vein, I've watched with interest as one of my older relatives has begun to cull his modest collection. He's in his late 70's, and still hunts regularly. But he "shoots" less. He's probably reduced the number by half, and doesn't seem to regret giving up any--especially those he's given to younger relatives. In the end, you can't take 'em with you.

Lakeshore
August 21, 2009, 02:48 PM
Never sell a gun if you like it, it's in good working condition, and you don't absolutely have to. Like several prior posters I parted with 3 in my foolish younger days that I wish I could have back.

ny32182
August 21, 2009, 02:54 PM
I've sold several over the last few years... I only regret one of them, and only because I could have gotten a much better price if I'd held on to it for a few more months.

HardShell
August 21, 2009, 02:57 PM
As an all-ecompassing, without-exceptions rule? I think it's silly, personally.

I would guess that folks who spout that out so dogmatically haven't owned multiple hundreds of firearms over the years. Even the most obsessive accumulator :o will eventually realize the need to move some along.

I've sold/traded more guns over the years than most individuals will ever own. I regret a few, of course (and one or two deeply), but most of them I don't miss one bit. YMMV.

travellingJeff
August 21, 2009, 02:59 PM
I hold pretty true to that maxim. That said, sometimes ya buy a dud. When that happens, or if you just feel like selling, try to make sure that the money from the sale goes back into firearms. Sell a few old Mosin's? Buy a reloading press. Sell a few AR lowers? Buy a FN-FAL.

Never sell a gun to buy something non gun related. I know a guy who traded 2 RRA LAR-8's for a jetski...... a freaking JETSKI.

insanity.

MMCSRET
August 21, 2009, 03:16 PM
They(GUNS) are just machinery. Some people won't trade or sell an inherited gun, but the good shape, always garaged '49 Studebaker goes to market as fast as possible. I understand sentimental value, I have inherited guns, but why is it so different for guns, tools, houses, cars. That I've never understood.

neverjeg
August 21, 2009, 03:22 PM
Buy, sell, trade. Everything has a price. Last I heard, you still can't take'm with you.

SteelyNirvana
August 21, 2009, 03:26 PM
"Never sell a gun"

That is true. You will miss it.Two first handgun's I bought was a Taurus PT-908 and my S&W 66. The Taurus was a very bad for FTF and FTE. I considered myself lucky if I got through one 8 round mag that this didn't happen. I paid $300 and dumped it off at a local pawn shop for $200 and never went back for it. Even after reading that the PT-908 was notorious for FTF and FTE which mine constantly did. I wish at times I still had it. Why, I'm not exactly sure other than it was my first pistol.

Bought a Bubba'd cut down (22" barrel) lions head Mauser. Guy had installed a Lyman peep sight and refinished the stock, it was a nice looking gun. But after I bought it, never fired it because after I got it I kept hearing how important it was to check the headspace on these guns. Never got around to checking the headspace and got hard up for money and sold it on a local forum. About a month later I started getting sellers remorse. I asked the guy who bought it if he fired it yet and he said he did, shot good but kicked like a mule. Said he doesn't shoot it very much. I'm hoping that one day he will decide to sell it and I will be able to get it back ;) I miss it because simply it was a nice looking gun.

About the only thing I don't miss is a single shot Norinco 12ga with a 2 3/4 chamber that I sold to an old co-worker. Gun had a bad firing pin and would only fire 3/4 times and I didn't like it because it had the 2 3/4 chamber.

I would suggest anyone who is going to sell their gun(s), think long and hard about it. You will more than likely regret it.

Reid73
August 21, 2009, 03:32 PM
If possessions no longer fits one's life circumstances, they should be disposed of ... why tie up money and physic energy in unproductive assets? If those circumstances subsequently change, you can always replace the possessions (as MMCSRET says, firearms are merely fungible pieces of machinery).

halfded
August 21, 2009, 03:34 PM
I don't really regret selling them as much as I just kind of miss having them around. There's always going to be a void in the safe, decide where you're comfortable having it and fill the space around it.

waterhouse
August 21, 2009, 03:34 PM
I've sold a bunch of my personal collection and never regretted it. I've got a few with sentimental value, but other than that if I don't shoot them enough they get sold. I never understand when people say to never sell a gun . . . for the right price almost any item I own is available for sale.

rondog
August 21, 2009, 03:55 PM
I've had many in the past that I've had to sell for various financial reasons, and I still grieve for every one of them. Hurts to try and remember them all to make a list.

Now I need a drink.....

Col. Plink
August 21, 2009, 04:01 PM
I usually research mine enough or have a certain role for them in mind that I hope to keep each one, barring some unforseen dire need.

I say "Sell ammo, not guns!" But then again, buy low sell high at need. Don't confuse possessor/possession...

Noban
August 21, 2009, 04:07 PM
I've been getting rid of a lot of guns lately. Just taking up room in the safe and I know I would never enjoy them like the new owners will. Sold them to friends.

I've just kept a few that I regulalry use. No regrets.

OurSafeHome.net
August 21, 2009, 04:33 PM
If possessions no longer fits one's life circumstances, they should be disposed of ... why tie up money and physic energy in unproductive assets?

I've sold a bunch of my personal collection and never regretted it.

Warriors will have an intangible bond with their weapons and are loathe to trade them away.

That said, I have some guns that are "trading stock", but will never trade away my personal weapons.

I've left instructions with my family that, if my dead body is in suitable condition for a viewing, one of my weapons is to be placed in my hands. Just before the lid of the casket is closed, someone is to pry it from my cold dead fingers.

(Nothing like ending my story with a cliche!)

Zeke/PA
August 21, 2009, 04:37 PM
For the most part, I still own every gun that I bought, traded for or inherited.
However, I have a traded one or two that I didn't need and wound up with something ELSE that I didn't need.

lobo9er
August 21, 2009, 04:38 PM
It didnt work correctly and I didnt like it.

only practical reason to sell a gun, unless there is a dire need for some cash.

doc2rn
August 21, 2009, 04:43 PM
I have sold off several non shooters that where brand spankin new. Kept some old ones that where still tac drivers, but most importantly found the ones I really like. I think the 23 I have will be good enough to last me a lifetime. I may add one or two but really I am content.

HardShell
August 21, 2009, 04:45 PM
... I've left instructions with my family that, if my dead body is in suitable condition for a viewing, one of my weapons is to be placed in my hands. Just before the lid of the casket is closed, someone is to pry it from my cold dead fingers...

I knew an old man here who, per his explicit instructions, was buried with a gun in one hand and a knife in the other. (Before you ask, I know the family placed them there and asked that they remain -- I have no personal knowledge whether or not the funeral home staff removed them at some point.)

A family member explained to me that he'd made his wishes known to all of them, stated on many occasions, "I know I've been too mean to ever get near Heaven, so if I'm bound for Hell I at least want a chance to fight my way back out."

:uhoh:

(I am not joking in the least...)

GRIZ22
August 21, 2009, 04:46 PM
I've sold guns to finance different ventures. Some I have regreted but I've also regreted selling my 58 Buick Limited and other things.

waterhouse
August 21, 2009, 04:48 PM
Warriors will have an intangible bond with their weapons and are loathe to trade them away.

I'd certainly not classify myself as a warrior.

I once had 10 5" 1911s. After a few years I noticed I brought 2 of them to the range on a regular basis. Although in no dire need of money, I sold the other 8 for more than I paid for them. I did the same with my ARs (7 down to 2), AKs (4 down to zero), O/U 20 gauges (4 down to 1), etc. A lot of this money went to reloading supplies and suppressors, and a lot of it went into Bank of America stock when it got down around $3.50. I'm pretty happy with my decision to downsize. Having 20 guns I shoot often is more enjoyable to me than when I had 45 I didn't shoot much. Cut down on my insurance premiums too.

I could currently buy any of the same models, but likely won't, as getting rid of all of them has not hindered my enjoyment of shooting. I've never been getting ready to head to the range and thought, "man, I wish I could bring my 20" AR. Wish I hadn't sold it."

Carl Levitian
August 21, 2009, 05:01 PM
I had bought a lot of guns in my younger day, but a few years ago I did a major downsizing. I got got rid of the guns I hadn't been using, and kept just a couple of handguns, and a couple of rifles. I gave my hunting rifle to my son, since I gave up hunting over 20 years ago, and sold off the tactical stuff that had built up from reading too many gun magazines. I just didn't want all that stuff in my life anymore. I downsized in other areas as well, sold off extra tools and toys, motorcycles and so on.

Now with a couple of guns I end up shooting a lot, my shooting has gotten better, and I'm enjoying the trips to the range more. Have to keep less of a variaty of ammo on hand as well.

Sometimes less is more. I don't miss the sold off guns at all. Got rid of the now empty gun safe, and hid the few guns in very unlikley spots. Now when the wife and I take off on a trip, I don't worry about them. The wify did a major downsizing as well when she retired. Now our home is nice and spacious, and I can find anything in a minute.

Life is wonderful when simple.

KenWP
August 21, 2009, 05:09 PM
I put 11 guns on consignment in a gun store and then moved out of the country. One was a Ruger Super Blackhawk which I new I would never have any use for again and the rest various junk rifles I had. Only the Ruger and a Mark 4 Lee Enfeild got sold and the rest will probbably just sit there untill the store closes down or what ever. There were a couple single shot Cooey shot guns and a 1889 Schmidt Rubin that were much use to anyone but somebody has to want them to sell them.
The only gun I regret selling was a Model 600 remington in 308. I wish I still had it today after I learned 308 was plenty of gun for any deer I will ever meet.

HardShell
August 21, 2009, 06:23 PM
... The only gun I regret selling was a Model 600 remington in 308. I wish I still had it today after I learned 308 was plenty of gun for any deer I will ever meet.

I had a "Mohawk" 600 in .308 and those were nifty little stalking rifles.

I don't regret selling it... but I sold it back to the guy I originally bought it from and I know where it is if I ever want it back bad enough to buy/trade him back out of it. ;)

theotherwaldo
August 21, 2009, 06:24 PM
I've sold four guns when in dire need. I've pawned a few others in times of trouble or when the cheap POS belonged in a pawn shop. I've traded a few guns or gun-like relics for other guns or gun-related services.

Overall, though, I do not sell a complete and functional firearm.

I guess it's because of the way that I was brought up. Dear Dad disposed of any firearm that I got, if given a chance. I guess it's because he couldn't legally own one.

As far as he was concerned it was like finding money.

Reid73
August 21, 2009, 06:34 PM
Warriors will have an intangible bond with their weapons and are loathe to trade them away.Today's warriors are issued their weapons by their respective militaries, generally (though not always) on a rather temporary basis: weapons are handed in when one completes a patrol, tour of duty, etc. Neither retaining nor trading away is an option.

I had bought a lot of guns in my younger day, but a few years ago I did a major downsizing. I got got rid of the guns I hadn't been using, and kept just a couple of handguns, and a couple of rifles.... I just didn't want all that stuff in my life anymore. I downsized in other areas as well, sold off extra tools and toys, motorcycles and so on.... Sometimes less is more.... The wify did a major downsizing as well when she retired. Now our home is nice and spacious, and I can find anything in a minute. Life is wonderful when simple.There is a lot to be said for this approach (see further here (http://www.getmoredone.com/tips7.html)).

LRaccuracy
August 21, 2009, 06:40 PM
The only guns I have ever sold is the ones I wanted to sell. With that being said. If I would ever regret selling a certain type of gun that I only had one copy of, I'll buy another. Unless they have sentimental or historic value, it's only a gun and can be replaced.

jaholder1971
August 21, 2009, 06:43 PM
I look back at every gun i've sold or traded and kick myself. Of those only my AMT .380 backup and Phillipine .22 AR wannabe clone do I not regret getting rid of.

Reid73
August 21, 2009, 07:06 PM
FWIW: In families like mine, men are born smelling of gun oil amid a forest of firearms. The family home, a huge old clapboard farmhouse, was stuffed with guns, maybe thirty in all. There were 10-, 12-, 14- and 20- gauge shotguns, pump guns, over-and-unders, and deer rifles of every imaginable sort from classic Winchester 94 modes to 30-ought-sixes, and even an old set of dueling pistols that had been in my family since the 1700s.

No hillbilly ever threw a gun away even when it could no longer be repaired. And until they stopped working completely, guns were endlessly cared for and patched back together. Otherwise they weren't to be parted with except under the direst circumstances, either on your deathbed or because you were so broke your cheque bounced.

For example, there is one ancestral gun that my brother Mike did not inherit - my father's prized old Ivers and Johnson double-barrel shotgun, which had been in the family since the turn of the twentieth century. An out-of-work trucker at Christmastime, Daddy sold it to buy us kids the standard assortment of Christmas junk so we would not feel disappointed. I remember a Robert the Robot for me, a tin stove for my sister, a little red wheelbarrow for my brother, and of course toy guns and holsters. That was in 1952. We still have the photographs, and we still lament the loss of that fine old Ivers and Johnson.Joe Bageant, Deer Hunting with Jesus (2007), page 121.

Dunkelheit
August 21, 2009, 07:26 PM
Until today i sold 3 guns, and im glad i did it. Walther GSP,K98 and a double barreled Baikal shotgun. The GSP was replaced by a Beretta87, the K98 by an K31 and the Baikal will some day through a Browning Over and Under shotgun.

CWL
August 21, 2009, 07:40 PM
I have regretted most of the firearms I sold, but I have never regretted any of the ones I gave away.

longbeard48
August 21, 2009, 07:51 PM
I wish I had my two Browning T-bolts back. A grade 1 and a Grade 2. Also my Browning .22 Semi-Automatic, Belgian made. Should have known that someday they would be worth four times what I gave for 'em. I was young and didn't know better. I traded them just because I didn't use them much, and that is one of the worst reasons to sell or trade a gun that I can think of.

DRYHUMOR
August 21, 2009, 07:55 PM
No real regrets, most all of them were replaceable if I had wanted to. Of course, I've been buying, selling, and trading for a bit over 30 years now also.

I have, however, sold a few a bit too soon.

Mags
August 21, 2009, 08:02 PM
I regret selling every gun I have ever sold even the guns I have sold that didn't act right. But I sold em to fund "better" guns. Now if I want a new gun I just save up for it no matter how long it takes instead of selling a less used gun to fun the new one.

ArfinGreebly
August 21, 2009, 08:13 PM
I sold my first pistol. It was a 5-shot, 2-inch, gritty-triggered, barn-missing .38 special revolver that hurt my hand when I shot it.

I think that selling a gun you can't shoot worth beans is a righteous thing to do.

I gave a Belgian BAR in .308 to my son-in-law. He loves it to death, and shoots it better than I ever could (his eyes are 20 years younger than mine).

No regrets.

I don't count the ones I've given to my wife and son. Those are still very much "in the family."

The only way I'd sell another would be if I couldn't shoot it usefully.

I don't buy what I don't need -- that is to say, I'm not a collector.

If I have it, I have it for a reason.

Come back and ask me again after I get wealthy. - :D - When money is no longer a factor, I might actually buy something "just to try it out."

The Lone Haranguer
August 21, 2009, 09:07 PM
I only dislike it when it is either the only way to get money at a given time and/or when I sell them for much less than their worth.

wyohome
August 21, 2009, 10:24 PM
I have given away 2 788 Rems in .243 Win, a Remington 'Scoremaster' .22, sold a Remington 78 'Sportsman', and last week gave my niece's 5 year old a Crosman 760 BB Gun. I wish I had one of the 788s back for my wife to deer hunt with.

CleverNickname
August 21, 2009, 10:26 PM
Almost without exception, the money from every gun I've sold was used to buy another gun that I wanted more. I've never regretted any of my sales.

DeepSouth
August 21, 2009, 10:34 PM
I normally don't buy a gun unless I plan on keeping it forever, so I never sell them if they work. Now if it is a Jam-O-Matic it'll get sold. And no I don't buy them for investinments, unless you count guns I want mainly to pass down to my kids as investments.

engravertom
August 21, 2009, 10:54 PM
I've regretted several, and all were sold to buy something i thought i wanted more, or to keep the lights on and food on the table.

As I have learned to manage money a bit better, I have been able to resist the impulse to sell, as well as the impulse to buy.

I have moved some to consolidate calibers, and downsize my life a bit also.

I sure miss that Mannlicher MCA carbine in 243. And the Garand I rebuilt in gunsmithing school. I also miss my 5 1/2 Super Blackhawk...

But the guns I have now suit me and I am becoming attached to them. Some will be given away to friends and children, over time.

take care,

Tom

funny book flapjack
August 21, 2009, 11:02 PM
I've only sold 4 guns over the years. I kinda miss 2, the other 2 not at all. Guns in my safe need to serve a niche, & I normally don't get too attached to them unless it has a family connection.

Had a pair of Glocks many years ago. They're long gone. Nothing wrong with em, just not my thing, & don't miss them at all. Wish I had used the money from the sale for other guns though. Live & learn.

Gave my Dad a CZ-52 for Father's Day one year. He had trouble racking the slide a year later because of arthritis, so I replaced it with a S & W revolver. He eventually gave me the CZ back. I liked it, but had absolutely no use for it except the fun quirk factor of "the beautiful ugly". Came across an XD 9 with 4 mags here in the sale forum one day for $300, so I sold the CZ to help fund the XD. GREAT deal on the XD, glad I bought it, but kinda miss the CZ now. Wish I still had it.

Just sold the first shot gun I ever owned the other day. It was an old Stevens single shot 410 that was in good shape, I had it since I was 10 years old, & I sold it cheap. I'll probably regret that some day. But I just had absolutely no use for it. Don't hunt, wouldn't use that gun even if I did hunt, wouldn't use it for HD, & it went to a good home. I may miss it for sentimental reasons later, but eveything in my safe tends to have a specific purpose, it's getting crowded, & I'll use the cash from it to go towards something that I will use.

Only gun that I don't have a real use for that I'll never sell is an old S & W Safety Hammerless model 1. Was given to me by family, has the cool factor of being almost 125 years old, & doesnt take up much room in the safe.

I'd say if the piece doesn't serve a real purpose for ya, have a real fun factor to it, or have some cool history to it, then sell/trade it for something that does.

jimbeam
August 21, 2009, 11:34 PM
Sold a .257 Roberts in pre-64 winchester made in early 50's. Bought a pre-warning no 1 and .243 Ruger 77 with the money. I am behind at least 1500.00 on the deal. Won't sell another until I am dead or dying.

Tommygunn
August 22, 2009, 12:07 AM
I once sold a Ruger 10-22 I owned. I probably wouldn't sell it again if I still have it OTOH I could always buy another one if I really wanted thast kind of gun.
I have some guns I would NEVER sell -- guns I inherited from my father; a 12 gauge Browning A-5, A Remington 550-1 semi auto .22, the M-1 Carbine he brought back from Korea, a Remington Model 17 pump 20 gauge.

murdoc rose
August 22, 2009, 12:33 AM
I've sold several guns or well more than several don't regret it on any of them yea there's a few that where nice but nothing I couldn't just go by again for what I sold it for

huntsman
August 22, 2009, 12:38 AM
I've sold a few back in the day, when you're unemployed with little kids and Christmas coming on fast you do what you have to do.

But not anymore, I wouldn't feel comfortable selling but maybe a trade.

orvpark
August 22, 2009, 12:39 AM
If I don't shoot it, and don't plan on passing it on to the kids I'll sell them in a heartbeat and buy something I will.

No sweat.

Mr. Bojangles
August 22, 2009, 09:17 AM
I think a lot of the regret people voice either stems from sentimental loss, in the way many of us wish we could have our first car back, or because they were forced to sell them for financial reasons.
Although I would never admit this to my wife, one can only shoot so many rifles at one time...

ejfalvo
August 22, 2009, 09:23 AM
The only 2 guns i sold were my Ruger P95 and P90. I dont miss the P95, but miss the P90. It was an accurate, dependable gun. i replaced it with an XD 45 compact - and am happy with the gun but wish I kept the P90.

AKElroy
August 22, 2009, 09:40 AM
I have made the exact statement; that I would never sell anything working. I have also changed my mind recently. I have a bunch of safe queens; some of which have not been fired in years, some never at all!

I am actively going through this collection & trading / selling in order to buy guns I will actually use. I recently traded a Vaquero and a Tomcat straight up for a NIB CZ 85. In three weeks, I have already put more rounds through that CZ than the other two combined; and I have enjoyed it far more.

I am looking to do this some more. If I continue to trade in wholesale into a retail offering, I know I am leaving $$$ on the table. I don't really care. The collection frankly needs to be smaller if what is left gets used & enjoyed more.

PX15
August 22, 2009, 09:56 AM
JMOfartO:

Well, I'm a senior citizen, and in my over 50 years of firearms ownership I've bought, sold, traded, or given away many, many firearms..

I will agree that IF you have a particular firearm that you have a reason to want to keep for one reason or another, (e.g. I still have a pos 25cal.Galesi because it was my 1st new pistol, bought wayyy back in 1966, and it's still a clunker) but really if you have a firearm you don't feel warm and fuzzy about then there's certainly nothing wrong in parting with it.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Laserlips/100_5833.jpg

I would also say I would never sell a firearm unless I had another one lined up.. I don't think selling a firearm to buy more video games, or watches, or whatever, makes good sense, but that's just my opinion.

Sooner or later each of us will buy a firearm or two that somehow we find lacking in whatever qualities we thought it had when we bought them... Sell the suckers.. Sooner or later each of us will, probably, find a firearm we really, really (think) we have to have, and therefore need to sell something to buy something.. Do it.

For example I recently sold a pristine "A" grade HK P7 to help finance a new HK P2000sk V3. Some folks say don't sell such things because they aren't making any more, etc. but I had three.. Heck, I still have two, but also now have a very, very nice HK P2000sk V3 that I like so much it has become my 9MM cc choice, and I've put my other compact 9's in the gun safe.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Laserlips/100_1164.jpg

I'm not a "collector", I'm a gun lover, and I shoot what I own. Just having something to look at simply does not "move me", but I have no problem with those folks to whom collecting is a fun past time. To each his/her own..

So I would say sell any firearm you aren't in love with, but replace it with some other firearm you really, really want. If THAT firearm is somehow lacking, start the procedure all over again until you are happy..

I would also suggest buy quality, rather than quantity. :)

Just personal opinion, if it goes contrary to your opinion, no offense intended.

Best Wishes,

Jesse

content
August 22, 2009, 11:01 AM
Hello friends and neighbors//Never say never , sold a 44 ruger redhawk to pay for repairs on my 1970 ford bronco pop-up camper 4x4. Hated doing it but don't regret it. Bought it for $350 sold it 4 years later for $450.//// Only other weapon I've sold was a mossberg combo shotgun. 28"w/ shoulder stock or 18 1/2" pistol grip. Could not hit with the long gun nearly as well as my 870 wingmaster and a highschool friend loved the 18 1/2" set up. ..so sold it for what I paid for it. Mainly I am to cheap to buy something I really don't want. To each his own......content

rs999
August 22, 2009, 11:02 AM
The guns I sold were like pets that I could not take care of anymore. I don't regret selling them, an Eagle Arms AR-15 and a G17. It's just that at the height of the ammo scare, I could not afford to feed the AR and the maintenance was something I didn't want to do anymore.

However, the G17 was sacrificed to get my new SP101 2.25 in 357, so win some lose some. :)

420Stainless
August 22, 2009, 11:15 AM
I regretted selling two of mine (series 70 Colts). However, I needed money while between jobs and did what I had to do. By and large I don't get attached to my possessions, but I never owned a gun I didn't like.

sharkman
August 22, 2009, 11:53 AM
Sell them if you need to, just make sure to think twice about it before you do. Guns I've inherited will never be sold. Guns I bought myself are another matter.

Recently sold three guns to finance a new rifle, couldn't afford it otherwise. I liked all that I sold but didn't shoot them that much.
S&W 4506-still have 3 1911 style 45's that I like better
P1-Interesting but it never 'grabbed' me
Yugo M48-still have a K98 that is a better shooter and some 03's to feed the bolt action addiction

Rolled the money into a S&W MP-15X with EOTech sight

Thought long and hard about selling, and know that I made the right decision for me

natman
August 22, 2009, 01:06 PM
I once traded an IBM M1 Carbine for an excellent condition Martini-Henry. At the time that was a smoking good deal, because M1 Carbines were cheap and readily available.

In the meantime M1 Carbines have gone through the roof, so I really wish I had paid cash.

Otherwise, I can't think of one gun I've sold that I really regret. I have a much longer list of guns that I wish I'd bought when I had the chance.

theotherwaldo
August 22, 2009, 01:51 PM
I look at it this way: I'm single and childless, likely to stay that way, and almost out of debt. (Except for those pesky school loans!) My home is paid for, so are my cars.

So I should but my money in a bank and watch inflation nibble it away? Put it in the stock market and then hang on the ticker?

Or I could buy the guns that intrigue me and develop a collection that's fun to shoot, useful for my sculptor, painter, and novelist friends, and who knows, I may have to hunt for food again some day!

HexHead
August 22, 2009, 02:07 PM
I don't regret the guns I've sold (for the most part), but only regret the ones I didn't buy! Ones that for whatever reason I passed on and now wish I'd bought them.

The ones I've sold for the most part is because my needs changed, or there was something about them I found I didn't like. Catch and release.

There are a couple I have now that are absolutely keepers, like my custom built Nighthawk Talon II bobtail. It was built exactly to my specs and I doubt I'd spend that much on a pistol again. And I love shooting it. ;)

Others on that list are my M1 Garand, my Colt Mustang (it was one I regretted not buying in the past) and probably my Python. I wouldn't consider any of the others, though I like them, sacred.

nyggis
August 22, 2009, 03:17 PM
The only guns I have sold Ive sold to close friends so that they "stay in the family"... Both of these were sold because I wanted to buy identical rifles, but in better condition than the ones I had before..

Steve H
August 22, 2009, 03:29 PM
When I was younger and a lot dumber I sold my Python, Nylon 66 and and OLD Remington ADL in .270

BOY WAS I STUPID BACK THEN

harrygunner
August 22, 2009, 09:50 PM
I've sold two guns I was not using. It bothers me if I have something I have no use for. They were replaced with guns that met my needs better.

They were both in working condition. I would never sell a gun that does not work properly. I consider that to be dishonest unless it's been disclosed to the buyer. I had a vendor who advertised himself to be a gunsmith who felt quite comfortable sending me an unreliable, dangerous gun for my money.

Expertowgunner
August 22, 2009, 11:24 PM
I was 16 years old and had a better collection of firearms than many have at age 30. Ever since i was real little i had loved firearms and had done everything possible to learn to use them, learn and appreciate the history of them, gaston glock eugene stoner mikhail kalashnikov and john browning were my heros, and i trained and shot like hell every gun i ever had or had messed around with. again at age 16 i had a bushmaster ar, russian vepr ak, glock 17, ruger 10/22, savage 308. le customised, 870 exp tactical, moisin nagant, nazi proof kar 98, usp 40 list goes on and on. well i had gotten into a dispute with my father over my future after high school and other issues concerning my future wife and such and i moved out on the day of my birthday when i was 18. my dad decided to run up credit cards and binge on stupid bs and got himself into some serious debt. What did he do you ask???? HE SOLD ALL OF MY GUNS AND I MEAN ALL OF THEM!!! i had found out what he had done a few days after he did it and was PISSED off to the point i thought i could never forgive him. I had THOUSANDS of dollars of guns that i had saved up and bought from age 13 to 18 and worked my ass off to get it (everything from telemarketing to construction to working at wendys). His response was he bought me a ak-74 variant and i told him to basically piss off and turned around and traded it for a tacticool scope. Funny thing is that he is in such a bad shape he begs me to buy his guns off of him to pay bills and i lowball the hell out of him for them. karma is a bitch isnt it

Mags
August 22, 2009, 11:27 PM
Maybe you should have just taken your guns with you when you moved out. I mean you make it sound like they meant alot to you. Of course hindsight is always 20/20.

ar10
August 22, 2009, 11:30 PM
I had 3 Glocks but I didn't sell them I used them as trade-ins for my XD's. The only XD I did sell was a 9mm service and don't regret it. The of the XD's I have I like and shoot pretty often.

Expertowgunner
August 22, 2009, 11:33 PM
they did mean a lot to me i was in the process of moving out and didnt have the time or a place to put my guns. this wasnt like goodbye dad and moving to a apartment i had set up before hand. this was more along the lines of get the hell out now and stay at my girlfriends house for a few days to straighten out. he literally took them all the NEXT day and sold them at gunshops all over the area. i mean that vepr alone had a eotech 512 on a ultimak rail, 4 75 round drums, 10 30 round mags, had 2000 rounds left of ammo which "mysteriously" just disappeared and wouldnt admit to selling it. the vepr goes for over a 1200 in pristine condition with original papers and box and this was the vepr k in 7.62x39mm took forever to find one even back then when they just started to import them. point is i would have never thought my own father would have backstabbed me that fast and he was apparently running up the bills while i lived with my parents and waited for the right time to take my stuff. of course he didnt sell his rock river or any of his **** only my stuff.

Dutchman01
August 22, 2009, 11:36 PM
I just had this conversation with a friend of mine who owns a gun shop. I miss pretty much all of them. I wish I had them back. Having said that I'm not a rich man. If I want to own, carry, shoot, use a particular firearm I have to "rotate my stock" from time to time. Right now I'm in the process of selling every gun I own save one, a browning hi-power, so I can finance my latest purchase, this sauer and sohn drilling. :evil:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/community/gun_inventory/images/lehi/miscellaneous/1448655_jpsur3000d12_leh_5l.jpg

huntsman
August 22, 2009, 11:56 PM
I just had this conversation with a friend of mine who owns a gun shop. I miss pretty much all of them. I wish I had them back. Having said that I'm not a rich man. If I want to own, carry, shoot, use a particular firearm I have to "rotate my stock" from time to time. Right now I'm in the process of selling every gun I own save one, a browning hi-power, so I can finance my latest purchase, this sauer and sohn drilling. :evil:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/community/gun_inventory/images/lehi/miscellaneous/1448655_jpsur3000d12_leh_5l.jpg
now that looks cool :) 12 gauge & .30-06 if I'm seeing it correctly.

RGO
August 23, 2009, 11:44 AM
I sold a gun yesterday, actually. It was in great condition and worked just fine. I made a little money off it, but not much. My reason for selling it was that I just wasn't interested in it any more. I figured I'd sell it at a fair price and give someone else the chance to enjoy it, rather than letting it just sit around in my house.

waterhouse
August 23, 2009, 11:45 AM
It seems a common theme here is "only sell guns if you really need money."

I think this is where a lot of the regret comes from. If I had to sell a gun I liked because I needed funds, I'd probably regret not having that gun. If, on the other hand, I make a careful and rationally thought out decision that I no longer want/need a gun, I don't regret selling it. As I generally sell them for more than I bought them for I don't regret buying them either :D

effengee
August 23, 2009, 12:55 PM
I feel all your pain...
I had a pre-ban Bulgarian AK-47 that went for a less-than-good amount of money to keep my family fed during hard times...
When I sold the AK I kept the Chinese 75 round drum and vowed to someday own another Kalashniclone and when times were good and I was working 55-60 hours a week, my taxes came back and my wife told me (I didn't ask, she TOLD me hehehe God, I love that woman!) to go buy another AK... Of course, the guy didn't have one and on impulse I bought a Kel-Tec sub2000 and made a briefcase carrier for it... but it certainly was not an AK. Within a few months I traded it for a Romanian...

I have bought and sold lots of guns, sometimes I win, sometimes they win...
I'd sell everything and anything I own to keep my kids taken care of and not shed a single tear
My consolation is that I am able to deal with guns and the thrill of the next firearm I will see for sale.

Saw a .50 desert eagle at the local gunshop yesterday and for a split second I did a mental calculation in my head of how I could afford a $1399 gun before realizing that I really don't need it (yes I do!! :) and taxes aren't till next year, by which time it will surely have sold...

I don't collect, I just have a couple of really cool guns at any given time and a pistol, a rifle, and a shotgun at all times...
After that, it has to be such an insanely sick deal that I can't afford to pass it up...
Like my .44 S&W 4-inch for $200 and the guy who sold it to me still cries when he sees me carry it...

Reid73
August 23, 2009, 01:42 PM
It seems a common theme here is "only sell guns if you really need money."Unless someone owns one or more super-expensive firearms, I can't see that selling any would bring in enough money to make the sale worthwhile: a few thousand dollars isn't enough to make or break anyone. To my way of thinking, the only reason for selling a firearm is if you're not using it anymore. As RGO says, might as well let someone else enjoy it.

Dutchman01, nice drilling.

GRIZ22
August 23, 2009, 06:24 PM

This sounds profound as "use you pistol to fight your way to a long gun".

Most genuine warriors I have met (SF, SEALS, SAS, etc) see weapons as tools of their job which wear out, get damaged, and have to be turned in when they change duty station.

rmmoore
August 24, 2009, 01:51 AM
I've bought and sold many through the years, and frankly, regretted selling "most" of them. But, as a few of you have mentioned, selling is usually a necessity, although I have traded "up" a few times. When my wife lost her job last year, some of those "gun-show" specials helped keep us out of our savings. I don't regret those, too much :) Invariably though, when I have sold just because I didn't think I "needed it anymore" :barf:, I've regretted it.

rmmoore
August 24, 2009, 01:59 AM
P.S. - Those that I did sell to help smooth things along, I wasn't really attached to anyway. Besides that, the wife sees things a bit differently nowadays. All that nagging about "what did you buy now" has suddenly disappeared when the "tangible asset" quality was realized. Maybe that few hundred dollars here and there might not have been a big deal to some folks, but it sure as hell was to us at the time. Especially for something I wasn't particularly in love with anyway (the guns that is :D)

chris in va
August 24, 2009, 02:19 AM
I've bought/sold a few guns and don't regret any of the sales. At all. Either they didn't fit my hands right, or I couldn't shoot it worth a crap, or it was just plain horrible.

Dookie
August 24, 2009, 05:34 AM
I had nearly 30 guns at one time, far less than many of you. Got bored one day and went through them all. Sold all but 5. I kept my Rem 600 .243, Savage MK2, my 10/22, Marlin 917hm2, and two shotguns. I have since sold the two shotties and picked up a Savage in 300 and plan on buying a cheap shotgun for hunting as I don't care about them.

Do I miss them, no. They are objects that wasted space and I did not use. Much better off and the money was used to fund other projects, like a jet ski. To me, guns are a hobby, not a way of life.

There is only one I will never sell, it is my fathers Savage 23A that my grandfather purchased new.

I worked with one guy who collects Garands and Mausers, he has over 1,000 misc rifles, he only shoots 3. So what is the point, they are stuck in a safe in the garage gathering dust.

Shung
August 24, 2009, 05:51 AM
it's called "collecting" and a lot of people are infected by this you know.. and not only about guns.. ;)

Carl Levitian
August 24, 2009, 07:13 AM
"Do I miss them, no. They are objects that wasted space and I did not use. Much better off and the money was used to fund other projects, like a jet ski. To me, guns are a hobby, not a way of life."
------------------------------------------

Bravo, a man with both feet in the real world.

There's also a big difference between a hobby and obsession.

mcdonl
August 24, 2009, 02:54 PM
Metal and wood. Sometimes I trade metal and wood for metal and rubber, or wood with strings... all toy equity.

jimmyraythomason
August 24, 2009, 03:36 PM
Some of my favorites were bought used at a decent price. Thank goodness somebody was willing to sell or I would have been stuck paying full price for a new gun,plus all that paperwork.

theotherwaldo
August 24, 2009, 05:11 PM
1 - I don't like to buy or sell any valued personal possessions to/from friends or close neighbors. It tends to cause friction and hard feelings later on when the item in question gets broken, abused, or re-sold.

2 - I don't like to sell weapons to people that I don't know well - unless it's part of their occupation. Even then it doesn't feel right.

3 - I don't feel the need to dispose of everything that I'm not currently using. The opportunity to use and enjoy is usually just ahead.

4 - Why dispose of something that takes up little space and retains its value? Hey, Grandpa had to bury his gold (Thanks, FDR!) and died before he could recover the stuff. Every item of value has its risks.

In summation, I don't see why I shouldn't buy any gun that intrigues me. I also can't see why I should need to sell a gun, unless there's dire need.

rogertc1
August 24, 2009, 06:21 PM
"Never sell a gun"
Some 37 years later I have managed to hord about 200. Not an investment for me but an obsession. I keep wanting to quit but can't as i always find one more.

Reid73
August 24, 2009, 07:00 PM
I don't feel the need to dispose of everything that I'm not currently using. The opportunity to use and enjoy is usually just ahead.That can be true; but if you haven't used a particular item in several years, it is probably a fairly safe bet that it no longer suits your current circumstances or interests.

Why dispose of something that takes up little space and retains its value?Agreed, if one owns, say, a small pistol. But multiple long guns do take up a fair bit of room.

I suppose they could be hung on the walls, but that is not legal storage in some jursidictions; and even where the law permits, wives often do not! :uhoh:

theotherwaldo
August 24, 2009, 07:19 PM
Heh. He don't know me very well, do he?

My welding gear has had to wait most of a decade while I scouted up a place to set up shop. Likewise the potter's wheel and related gear. The stone carving stump was established just this summer, after a two decade hiatus. I could go on.

My favorite song as a child was Gershwin's "Biding My Time".

I took it to heart.

shotgunjoel
August 24, 2009, 08:55 PM
The only gun that I currently own that I would ever sell would be my target .22 rifle. It's a great gun, it's just that I use the others more and don't think I'd miss it or not be able to replace it.

indie
August 24, 2009, 09:35 PM
I wish I didnt have to sell/wish I still had some guns, but I dont regret the guns I purchased with the money.

I dont have a whole lot of disposible income, but im trying to make do and sometimes I have to sacrifice.

wrs840
August 24, 2009, 09:43 PM
Sold a few, lost some to theft, lost one in the bush. I really miss one of them.

lLes

george29
August 24, 2009, 10:48 PM
They seem to regret selling their firearms.

Please provide your thoughts and comments on this.

Everytime I think of how dumb I was to part with Grampa's original GI issue 1911 I want to throw a rope over the shower faucet ala prison suicide

ohioshooter
August 24, 2009, 11:08 PM
I've only sold one gun and I sold it for what I paid because I was told that I couldn't get it the way I wanted and about 8 months later I found the same gun just the way I wanted so that was the only gun I sold.

Willo
August 24, 2009, 11:24 PM
Do your research before buying one, don't buy too many, and never sell.

HardShell
August 25, 2009, 10:43 AM
Do your research before buying one, don't buy too many, and never sell.

So... how many is "too many?" :evil:

JShirley
August 25, 2009, 10:49 AM

Baloney. True "warriors" have a bond with their family, their country, and their comrades. Weapons are tools, and used and valued as such. They are NOTHING in comparison to the rest.

In answering the question, a *little* common sense is in order. Should I not have sold the unreliable Intratec that hurt to shoot? Of course I should have. And did, trading for a sturdy surplus rifle. Should I have sold my first rifle? No.

John

oldhack62
August 25, 2009, 10:39 PM
The only gun I regret parting with I didn't pay a cent for, and I still have access to: my late father's hunting shotgun -- a 16-gauge, single-shot given to him by his late sister/my aunt -- which I gave to my brother when it became apparent he'd value having it more than me, although I DID value it.
Every other gun I've owned was because I wanted to own it at the time, and sold because I no longer did -- or valued something else more.
For the most part, to me, guns is guns.

nwilliams
August 25, 2009, 11:59 PM
I buy and sell guns all the time.

I've bought and sold more guns than I currently own. My collection always stays around 25 to 30 guns, however over the many years I've been collecting I've probably owned three or four times that many.

When I was much younger I used to buy guns and then trade them in instead of selling them. I lost a lot of money doing that and I regret that more than loosing the guns. Nowadays I don't trade-in guns, if I want to get rid of one then I sell it outright and usually I can get most of my money back, sometimes I can even turn a profit. If I loose a hundred bucks on a gun that I bought and decided that I didn't like then I just consider it a learning experience and I won't buy that gun again. The problem is that you can't usually buy a gun, take it home, try it out and then return it because you don't like it. Most of the time when you buy a gun you are taking a chance that it may not be what you expect and in that situation I would rather sell the gun and try to get as much back on it as possible.

searcher451
August 26, 2009, 02:39 PM
I've long advocated that if you sell a gun, you are likely to live to regret it somewhere along the line, if you are fortunate to live long enough. I know that it's happened to me, and doubtless to others who frequent this forum as well. At the same time, I sold a Taurus revolver a couple of years back and haven't regretted that move for a single solitary instance. I also unloaded a Beretta Tomcat some time ago and feel better about that today than I did even at the time, and I felt awfully good about it then, too.

The bottom line for me: If you are contemplating selling a gun, making sure that it's one you won't miss just isn't enough; it's far better to sell only those guns that have somehow come to own that you truly despise. :)

kimbershot
August 26, 2009, 07:39 PM
i have bought and sold guns for the last 35 years. about 5 years ago, i decided that any gun that i bought had to either be unique or that i had to at least get my money back or make money on a sale/trade.

i have been lucky to walk into several deals. bought a preban ar for 850--sold for 1500. bought a colt match hr bar for 850--sold for 1450. with profits--bought a used trp and colt officer--(essentially free). bought other guns for purpose of a trade and got an awc amphibian--my cost with tax stamp--800.00 (about 1/2 the going rate).

what i have now--i really like--and i don't see the need to get more-or trade.

:neener:

VegasOPM
August 26, 2009, 07:50 PM
I sell guns either because I need the space in the safes or because I don't use them. I'd rather that someone put them to use, than just to keep them collecting dust. If I kept every gun I ever owned, I would need a bigger house. As it sits, my gun room is overfilled with stuff.

If you enjoyed reading about ""Never sell a gun"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!