Car riddled with bullets

PDA

TheeBadOne
October 28, 2003, 05:03 PM
http://abclocal.go.com/images/1024-copcarshooting.jpg

Cop Car Riddled with Bullets

October 25, 2003 — It was a close-call for Philadelphia police involving officers from the 23rd District.

Officers stopped a vehicle in the 15-hundred block of North 20th Street near Jefferson.

The officers were fired upon when they got out of their car. They were able to take cover from over 20 shots. Many of the bullets hit their squad car.

The officers were not injured and ended up capturing two suspects on the spot.

A SWAT team converged upon the 20-hundred block of West Turner Street just a few blocks away, searching for a third suspect.

Police surrounded a home there, but so far, no word yet if that suspect was apprehended.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/news/102403_nw_copcarshooting.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Whoa! Now that looks like as close as you want to ever get! :what:
Makes you wonder if agencies should foot the bill for bullet resistant panels/glass in marked sqaud cars? :confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "Car riddled with bullets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Steve Smith
October 28, 2003, 05:08 PM
Ok, I give up, how do you riddle a car with bullets?

TheeBadOne
October 28, 2003, 05:12 PM
Main Entry: riddle

Function: transitive verb

Inflected Form(s): rid·dled; rid·dling /'rid-li[ng], 'ri-d&l-i[ng]/

Date: 13th century

1 : to separate (as grain from chaff) with a riddle : SCREEN
2 : to pierce with many holes <riddled the car with bullets>
3 : to spread through : PERMEATE <a book riddled with errors>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From Websters Dictionary

http://www.m-w.com/home.htm

spacemanspiff
October 28, 2003, 05:21 PM
remind me to never use the expression: "Riddle me this...."

SKN
October 28, 2003, 05:24 PM
The photo seems to show that the rounds were fired at them from behind. Was this an ambush or did the officers initiate the stop by pulling in front of the suspect's vehicle?

Doug444
October 28, 2003, 05:25 PM
20 bullets? Two suspects? Maybe THAT's why semi's should only have 10-round mags. If the cops wait long enough, the BG's run out of ammo!:evil:

Sorry, couldn't resist.:p

TheeBadOne
October 28, 2003, 05:26 PM
No further info yet but it does look like an ambush. Looks like they stopped a car, stepped out, and immediatly came under fire. Feel free to post any updates as they come out and I'll do the same.

Steve Smith
October 28, 2003, 05:39 PM
You take its billets!

Please, take the cops off the cross. <----- personal, not administrative, comment

Bigjake
October 28, 2003, 06:14 PM
the bill for bullett proof glass in cruisers sounds like a worthwhile idea.... wonder why it hasnt been tried yet.

Hawkeye755
October 28, 2003, 08:38 PM
That sounds great in theory, but the problem with putting BR glass in cars are several.

First the cost of the glass is a lot. For the larger departments this will add up in a hurry. Especially with budgets they way they are now you would be lucky to get a city council to sign off on that.

Second when you put the BR glass in it is a lot thicker than regular glass so now the windows do not roll down. The air conditioning units in police cars are the same in any regular car and because of all the extra electronic equipment, light bars, radio, computer, etc. the air does not work well at all. In the summer you would be cooking.

Lastly IIRC BR glass breaks down when exposed to prolong sunligh loosing its effectiveness. I can not give any hard or fast details about the accuracy of this, but I have seen it mentioned.

It would be a nice addition, but I don't think that I will see it happen in my lifetime.

Ukraine Train
October 28, 2003, 08:48 PM
Besides BR glass you'd also need to put BR material into the doors and behind the rear seats as that metal is paper thin. It's a shame that was a Caprice and not a Crown Vic involved.:p

Kharn
October 28, 2003, 09:33 PM
20 bullets?! That's like a microsecond at Knob Creek. Now when it looks like Swiss cheese, thats riddled. :D

Kharn

Don Gwinn
October 28, 2003, 10:56 PM
The key difference, of course, being that when you're huddled behind the car instead of sitting behind the machine gun you have to multiply the number of actual bullet holes by 900 to understand the full effect.

IOW, if you'd been behind the car, you'd have figured it was riddled, too! ;)

Kharn
October 28, 2003, 11:02 PM
IOW, if you'd been behind the car, you'd have figured it was riddled, too!

I'd be too busy trying to find a new pair of shorts to worry about the car. :o

Kharn

twoblink
October 29, 2003, 03:15 AM
Go to like DefCon in Vegas, when they have the "Bill Gates Desert shoot".. and see what riddled looks like..

None of these two did a tactical reload???

tcdrennen
October 29, 2003, 04:50 AM
The other problem with armor glass is that it's heavier than the equivalent amount of armor steel (which is why armored trucks are top heavy and you have to be careful in turns so as not to roll them.) It also has to be flat, so wouldn't fit on a typical sedan, unless you want it to cost more than the entire rest of the vehicle and equipment - that's why those custom limousines run about $150K and up.

ChickenHawk
October 29, 2003, 12:44 PM
You sure it's not just those stick-on things? :evil:

ChickenHawk

If you enjoyed reading about "Car riddled with bullets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!