Gun belts anyone?

PDA

Demitrios
August 24, 2009, 04:09 PM
I'm looking to purchase a nylon gun belt for myself and I was wondering if anyone knew of any good companies, or even better, had experience with one and could give me a yea or nay on it. In particular I'm looking at Wilderness and at Safariland but I'm open to suggestions. Oh and the kind of holster I'm using is a Don Hume yaqui slide on and for a full sized 1911. I'm in relatively decent shape (in other words I don't have a huge gut) carry on my right hip.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun belts anyone?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
highorder
August 24, 2009, 04:17 PM
I have a Yates belt that I have used for years. I like it.

http://www.yatesgear.com/rescue/tactical/beltsLanyards/index.htm#1

Demitrios
August 24, 2009, 04:47 PM
Which belt? I like that Cobra quick buckle, but are these belts really sturdy enough for drawing your pistol?

Sam1911
August 24, 2009, 05:06 PM
I've worn a Wilderness Instructor 1-3/4" belt (the one with the insert) every single day for about 3-4 years.

It's comfortable for me and stiff enough to hold up any of the guns I hang on it. (Including my .44 Mag, IWB.)

Oddly enough, the velcro still works, too.

Price is pretty good considering what a solid belt you're getting.

-Sam

BBBBill
August 24, 2009, 06:47 PM
+1 on the Wilderness. I've been wearing a 5 stitch almost daily since Sept, 03. Can't wear it out. Comfy and secure.

highorder
August 24, 2009, 10:56 PM
Yates gear is sturdy. nuff said.

Demitrios
September 17, 2009, 02:31 PM
I actually picked myself up a 5.11 Instructors Belt and it is so much more stiff than the Wilderness and about $10 cheaper. I love this belt and I got it brand new from a specialty retail store for only $25.

The Lone Haranguer
September 17, 2009, 09:22 PM
If you hooked enough of them together, you could probably use Wilderness Instructors to tow your car. :)

20nickels
October 10, 2009, 01:23 AM
My only complaint about the Wilderness is the size of the buckle. I know it's designed that way, but most of us just need a pistol belt not an emergency retention to a helicopter.

devildog66
October 11, 2009, 12:50 PM
I have the Wilderness 5 stitch Frequent Flier and it carries a full 1911 or N frame just fine. It also doesn't look as 'tacti-goob' as some of the others. I can wear it with jeans or shorts and not look out of place. Not to mention, just look at what the top holster makers, e.g., Milt Sparks, recommend and sell in a nylon belt- Wilderness and Wilderness alone. It is made in the US and can also be had with a kydex stiffener if desired. Most, if not all, of the makers are imports.

SomeDude
October 11, 2009, 12:52 PM
I have the CrossTac nylon belt. Nice and stiff. It's made in the USA, I got mine from MidwayUSA.

MrCleanOK
October 11, 2009, 01:07 PM
+1 Wilderness 1-3/4" 5-stitch.

20nickels
October 12, 2009, 03:32 PM
Devildog, tks for bringing up where the belts are Mfg'ed.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun belts anyone?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!