Making a grip for a TTC

PDA

Shadow 7D
August 25, 2009, 01:43 AM
I bought a TTC with a cracked grip, I knew it was cracked when I bought, and now after looking at the whole gun I definitely think that it is in better condition than the just good rating I received it as, not a spec of rust on it, good bore and no painted over pitting.

I have two problems with the TTC, the slab grips and it points low for me. I know that both can be over come with new grips and I would like to make them myself. If I buy some I will spend the money for some Marschals custom.

I was thinking of using the plastic modeling putty you find at craft stores to build a grip that feels right, or use as mold to make a cast or fiberglass grip panel.

Any thoughts?

If you enjoyed reading about "Making a grip for a TTC" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wnycollector
August 25, 2009, 07:49 AM
marstar.ca sells the wraparound grips found on the norinco 213's.

dal205
August 27, 2009, 09:13 PM
I carved new rose wood grips for my Taurus PT92S when I bought it new way back when. The grips that came on it looked like they stuck out half an inch and it felt like holding the business end of a baseball bat. I traced them out on thin pieces of rose wood, then used a scroll saw to cut them out. Then wood files to shape them and a dremal tool to cut the slots and other geometries on the inside of them. Last, lots of sanding. They've darkened somewhat over time and look pretty good, if I do say so myself. It was actually easier than I expected. I'd post pictures, but am a newby and don't know how....

JHK94
August 27, 2009, 09:18 PM
Does Marchal's sell TTC grips? I haven't seen them on there.

I've thought about doing this too...the TTC grip is so weird and annoying compared to, say 1911 grip panels (or pretty much any others), that I haven't gotten up the will to mess with them.

Shadow 7D
August 28, 2009, 06:58 PM
Yeah, he sells a version the the type 54 wrap around I think they go for about 50, unless you want exotic wood

I'm trying to think of how to make the heel thicker, like I said above if I was going to uby some I would get the Marchals http://www.marschalgrips.com/tt33wr/tt33wr.htm

Still working on my grips, will post pics when I get done.

If you enjoyed reading about "Making a grip for a TTC" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!