Which would you want for a sd gun?

PDA

Eric F
August 25, 2009, 01:38 PM
I usually carry a 38 super 1911 but it was stolen then recovered. I will get it back in about 8 months. In the mean time I need a sd gun. Since my 1911 is still in as was condition and it will come home, I thought now would be a good time to get my pocket revolver.

I have narrowed things down to a small .327 federal magnum six shot(taurus or charter) or a 44 spl charter 5 shot. Which would you pick and why?

If you enjoyed reading about "Which would you want for a sd gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
highorder
August 25, 2009, 02:05 PM
Sorry, none of the above. :(

For ammunition considerations, I will always choose a J frame in 38spcl as a pocket revolver.

Eric F
August 25, 2009, 02:10 PM
Sorry I forgot to mention I reload and have plenty of components for both just no gun.

fastbolt
August 25, 2009, 02:16 PM
Voted None of the Above.

I owned a couple of early Charter Arms Bulldog .44's. Got tired of trying to get them to consistently work normally. I have no idea what the newest incarnation of the design is like, but if it's mechanically the same I have no interest in ever trying one again.

The .327 Magnum cartridge doesn't interest me. I have .357 Magnum & .38 Spl revolvers which serve my needs.

My revolver needs are adequately served by S&W and Ruger. I haven't owned a Colt revolver since I was a young man, although I feel they're a good revolver. Owning a Taurus revolver is something that would never interest me.

Now, that's just me.

If you like the other companies and those calibers I certainly wouldn't begrudge you the opportunity to own them.

FWIW, I've been a long time .44 Magnum revolver owner, shooter and even carrier. I just don't think the major makers offer a lot of modern defensive ammunition choices in the .44 Spl cartridge (realizing you're well aware of this sort of phenomena being a .38 Super owner/user ;) ). I haven't carried .44 Spl in my Magnum revolvers in some number of years, although when I did I mostly carried the W-W 200gr STHP and I still have a couple boxes of Speer 200gr JHP left over in my collection.

Luck to you in your decision. Got any trigger time in with either caliber you're considering?

Edited to add that I just noticed you're a reloader. Well, when I was a reloader I always did have a soft spot for .44 Spl. ;)

jglcolosprgs
August 25, 2009, 02:23 PM
I don't like the manufacturers you have listed.

I have a couple of Taurus 44 specials and I carried the snubby when I couldn't afford any thing else.... it's over 15 years old and it works fine, but I cannot recommend their new offerings.

If these work for you, go with the 44 special.

CoRoMo
August 25, 2009, 02:29 PM
If you have the components to reload either/both, that's a plus, and I'd opt for the .327 then for pocket carry. But of the two manufacturers, I choose neither.

2 Samuel 22
August 25, 2009, 03:23 PM
Sorry, none of the above.

My small pocket carry choices for SD would be:
-Seecamp .32 or .380
-Micro Desert Eagle .380
-S&W J-Frame .38spl
-Ruger LCP .380
-Kahr P380
-Bersa Thunder .380

Medium carry choices would be:
Glock 26/27
HK P2000SK
Kahr PM9/PM40
Springfield XD Sub-compact

Large carry choices would be:
Glock 19/23
HK P2000
HK USPc
HK45c
SA XD
SA 1911 Champion

Eric F
August 25, 2009, 03:31 PM
Got any trigger time in with either caliber you're considering?

Yes I shot many 44 spl years ago with my ruger vaquero, however I traded it for a m-1 carbine.

The 327 is new, I always wanted a 32 of some sort and 327 fed is a real cool round with a small but significant following.

Between the two the 44 gives a better wound channel but way less energy than the 327. Also the 327 beats a 38 hands down according to the gun rags and ballistics testing.

As far as the manufacturers I picked I do have trigger time on some of their other products and cost is a big factor in picking them.

Smith$wesson(pun intended) Is just way more expensive for a comparable product.

Still looking for more opinions please keep em comming

The 44 would be cool in a slightly larger size gun than the 327 then the arguement of 5 or 6 shots..........

CoRoMo
August 25, 2009, 04:02 PM
I would choose Taurus over Charter if I had no other options.

fastbolt
August 25, 2009, 04:08 PM
As far as the manufacturers I picked I do have trigger time on some of their other products and cost is a big factor in picking them.

If you plan to do much shooting with them then it's probably somewhat easier to justify the initial higher cost of the more expensive make of gun over the long term.

Customer Service and warranty support are worth some consideration, too.

Also the 327 beats a 38 hands down according to the gun rags and ballistics testing.

While the versatility of being able to shoot some other .32 revolver cartridges is probably useful for some folks, the lighter bullet weights of the .327 Magnum cartridge just don't interest me as much as they might some folks.

The ability to chamber 6 rounds instead of 5 rounds is also arguably of interest to a number of folks. I'm just not one of them.

Paper energy figures stopped being a major factor in the selection of small bore handguns for me some years ago, too.

I guess of the two caliber offerings I'd be much more inclined to return to using a .44 Spl ... with a decent bullet weight and a nose cavity design that stood some chance of potentially expanding at the low velocities realized in short-barreled .44 Spl wheelguns.

Then again, I have a good choice of .38 Spl, .357 Magnum & .44 Magnum wheelguns from which to choose, so I'm understandably less inclined to look at the modernization of the .32 revolver cartridge.

If it appeals to you , though, why not get one and enjoy it? That's why they made it, you know? ;)

jaydubya

+1, and so voted. A used S&W 442/642/637/638 is a better choice if price is important. And as a huge plus, S&W's customer support is the industry leader. As is their warranty, even for weapons that have gone through several owners. I bought my 637 new seven years ago, and have fired several thousand (stopped counting) rounds through it. Last range session, it fired the first round and then the firing pin lost all interest. I called S&W, and they emailed me the FedEx shipping label. As soon as I get a box, I'll ship it to S&W at their expense. From what I have read on websites like this one, I should have it back in 2-3 weeks, no charge, shipping included. Weapons made 1980 and before may not qualify for this free support, but the warranty on your 1980 Camaro has also expired.

Cordially, Jack

Omaha-BeenGlockin
Ruger and S&W are the only revolvers worthy of consideration.

C-grunt
August 25, 2009, 04:09 PM
Of your choices I would go with a Taurus over a Charter. A used S&W should be about the same price as a Taurus by the way.

Marlin 45 carbine
August 25, 2009, 04:24 PM
either is a good choice. myself I will go for the .44 due to speedloaders available - not sure about the other (.327 H&R)

Old Fuff
August 25, 2009, 04:39 PM
I voted, "None of the above."

1. I have both an older Charter Arms .44 Special and a Taurus model 445. In a .44 Special I prefer it over the Charter (which in my case has a 4" barrel). I can pocket carry the Taurus, but I prefer an inside-waistband holster for both. The Taurus is a bit big and heavy, and the Charter too small and light for the .44 cartridge. You can of course, handload the .44 downward for the smaller gun if you want to.

2. At the moment I pocket-carry a Taurus model 85 LW, in .38 Special - and see no advantage in a .357 Magnum chambering. Do keep in mind that the .357 has a long case, and all snubbies have short ejector rods.

3. I also sometimes carry an older Colt Detective Special because it is good-to-go out to 100 yards, and of course anything closer. Current snubbies have front sights that are way too low for this.

I have no experience with the new .327 Magnum, but note that it is almost equivalent to a .30 Carbine out of a 6" barrel. I think it could be an excellent round - but not necessarily in a pocket-sized snubby.

kanook
August 25, 2009, 04:48 PM
357/38, 44 special

I have alot and do alot in the 357 catagory (rifles, revolvers) I cast and reload for them so that is my first choice. I did have a Charter 44 and sold it due to money. For the right price I would get another.

Ala Dan
August 25, 2009, 04:49 PM
none of the above~! ;)

Eric F
August 25, 2009, 04:50 PM
due to speedloaders available Good thought, seems no one makes speed loaders for either of the 327's I picked(atleast that I can find right away on the net) this is an important consideration.

Old Fluff pm coming

hso
August 25, 2009, 09:15 PM
Compact 1911 since you're familiar with the ergo and point. If you want to go smaller, go for a .380 Colt Pony or a compact 9mm 1911. Regardless, stick with what works for you since you're betting your hide on it.

Wayne G.
August 25, 2009, 09:54 PM
Reminds me of the November election--I don't like either choice.

I'd go with a J-frame S&W

Wishoot
August 25, 2009, 10:04 PM
I'll take a 357 or 38+p thank you.

Black Knight
August 25, 2009, 10:06 PM
When I carry away from the job I carry one of several calibers and makes. I carry a 38 SPEC/357 Mag from Colt, S&W, or Ruger. I also carry 9mm from Beretta or S&W; 40 S&W from SIG; 45 ACP from Colt. The list of models would be quite long. Recently I find myself carrying a 4" Colt Python, 3" S&W 65, 92 F Beretta, SP2340 Sig, or a Colt Gov't Model Series 70 MK IV.

weisse52
August 25, 2009, 10:11 PM
Reminds me of the November election--I don't like either choice.

Aside from the thread...I do find this quite funny...

Clarence
August 25, 2009, 10:25 PM
None of the above.

If I were picking a .44 it would be a S&W 296 otherwise it would be a 642.

easyg
August 26, 2009, 12:29 AM
Sorry, none of the above.

For ammunition considerations, I will always choose a J frame in 38spcl as a pocket revolver.
+1.
You just don't disregard such a well proven track record.

Dr.Rob
August 26, 2009, 12:36 AM
I'd be looking for a used Colt a new Smith or a new Ruger. The sp101 is available in that .327 mag.

If I had NO other choice, Taurus has a better track record than Charter for repair and service should you need it.

BushyGuy
August 26, 2009, 12:46 AM
i carry a .32 acp beretta for my light carry gun , i am confident with 8 shots of silvertips important thing i will think twice and make those shots count! for serious firepower i will carry my Taurus PT92C or my Ruger SR9 if i go into high risk areas , but for low risk areas i carry the .32 acp i like it cuz its only 1 pound

mnrivrat
August 26, 2009, 06:49 AM
Pocket carry is a key issue here - I carry a Taurus small frame in total titanium (13oz) in the .32 H&R Magnum chambering.

I haven't had the pleasure of handling their .327 Mag gun yet , but might vote yes on it if I could handle one first.

moredes
August 26, 2009, 10:16 AM

+1 I'm not a fan of any of your three OEMs. I'd buy a backup 1911 now. If money's a problem then I'd go with your craving to purchase another revolver, but I'd make it a .38 Airweight.

riverdog
August 26, 2009, 05:23 PM
S&W may have a higher initial price tag, but with that price comes a fairly high quality firearm and excellent support. If it ever has an issue S&W pays shipping both ways and IME the turnaround is good. Look for a used S&W if the price of new is too steep.

ugaarguy
August 26, 2009, 05:46 PM
Except that Taurus isn't quite comparable*, and Charter doesn't come close. S&W's usually unly cost about 20% more than a similarly featured Taurus or Charter. With Taurus you're getting a foreign made gun. While Charter's are US made their lightweight .38 specials are not +P rated. With that in mind I have no desire to test their frame & cylinder strength with the .327 Federal Mag which operates at more than double the pressure (45K PSI vs. 20K PSI) of the .38 Spl +P.

A Ruger SP-101 in .327 Federal Mag would be a great choice, except for weight if you want to pocket carry. If you're dead set on a .32 revolver you could look around and find a S&W 432 in 32 H&R Mag.

*http://grantcunningham.com/blog_files/no_taurus_work.html - my local gunsmiths pretty much echo Mr. Cunningham's thoughts on Taurus' internals.

Old Fuff
August 26, 2009, 06:59 PM
I looked into Grant's comments concerning Taurus handguns - revolvers in particular. I agree with some of what he says, although both of mine (a model 85 .38 Special and model 445 .44 Special) both have factory stock actions, and are fine so far as I'm concerned. The real issue I think is that it's almost impossible to get parts out of them in a timely manner, and that's a valid beef. No gunsmith wants to work on something when he can't get the parts he needs for good reason. So far I haven't had any problems, but on this issue I can see where he might be coming from. Also he's not exactly lacking for work too do... :)

denfoote
August 27, 2009, 05:53 AM
This.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/denfoote/TaurusM605.jpg

Taurus 605

It's been around for years.
All the bugs have been worked out.
I've had mine for years.

M2 Carbine
August 27, 2009, 10:25 AM
Of those listed I'd pick the 44. I had a Bulldog years ago and I am sorry I sold it.

For other I'd choose a (pre lock) S&W J Frame (I have 6).

My first choice is a Kimber Ultra 45ACP.

GRAYRID3R
August 27, 2009, 10:27 AM
I think I paid around $400 for my 642 airweight NIB. Worth every penny of it.:)There are a lot of used J frames around, check out the pawn shops.

SigP229R
August 27, 2009, 10:37 AM
I voted none of the above since my choice of daily carry is a Sig Sauer .40 S&W.

Thomas Garrett
August 27, 2009, 11:01 AM
I also voted none of the above. It's either .38 Special of .45 ACP for me.

Dogbite
August 27, 2009, 03:15 PM
Out of what you listed, I would choose the 44 special. I like the big bore at moderate velocities. Also, the 44 Charter Arms has an almost legendary following for a reason. An army of cops used to use them as back up with great results. I carry a J-frame for ease of carry-very comfortable and reliable.

woad_yurt
August 27, 2009, 10:30 PM
Go for a used S&W J-frame if you're set on a small revolver. They're better guns, period.

smallbore
August 27, 2009, 10:43 PM
S&W .38 +P rated snubbie (model 442 or 642) loaded w/new Critical Defense ammo and a couple of Bianchi speed strips.

Meeteetse
August 27, 2009, 11:46 PM
NONE OF THE ABOVE. . . . . .Call me a gun snob, but Ruger and S&W are they only revolvers I would consider for self defense.

gunnie
August 28, 2009, 10:32 AM
Eric F,

perhaps hso's advice is worth looking into?

http://www.gunsamerica.com/910758147/Guns/Pistols/1911-Pistol-Copies/Rock_Island_Compact_Tactical_45_Armscorp.htm

http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com/item.aspx?pid=41707

http://www.snipercountrypx.com/showproduct.aspx?productid=4799

not familiar with the taurus. don't know anyone who owns/ has owned the charter arms bulldog 44 spc. who shot them much without mechanical problems and or outright failure of this revolver.

gunnie

Monster Zero
August 29, 2009, 11:24 PM
From the choices listed, I'd choose the .44 hands down. A big ol' fat bullet moving at about the velocity of a brick. That's what's made the .45 a success for almost 100 years.

The .327 cartridge seems to just be a solution to a nonexistent problem to me.

Of course there's always the good ol' model 642/442, which are really the only true concealed carry pieces made. All the rest are imitations.

9mm+
August 30, 2009, 07:22 PM
The poll question was for a pocket gun. Unless you have big pockets, I would vote for none of the above. My choices would be a 380 auto (Kahr or Ruger LCP) loaded with 100 gr. +P rounds from Buffalo Bore.

christcorp
August 31, 2009, 12:09 AM
Probably the worst poll yet. 2 of the most useless calibers for self defense. Not because of ballistics, but because of availability, price, and weapon compatibility. Kind of goes along with the 357sig, 45GAP, and a number of other useless calibers.

lawboy
August 31, 2009, 03:29 AM
None of the above. Years ago, like 20 years ago, I owned two of the Charter Arms Bulldog and Bulldog Pug revolvers. They were fine. My friend just bought a new one, stainless, it is okay thus far. They are not good pocket guns. They are too big and too heavy when loaded for pants pocket duty and they are not built heavy enough for my taste.
327 Federal ... if they say so. Give me a D frame Colt or J frame Smith any day, in 38spl, of course! On the 327 Federal, I would be wary of firing it indoors with a short barreled gun. Permanent hearing loss seems likely. 38spl won't have that issue. I have done it. 45ACP is also forgiving indoors where at 357 Magnum will seriously damage hearing.

6_gunner
August 31, 2009, 10:56 PM
I voted "none of the above," but if I had to choose I'd go with the Charter .44.

Personally, I'd prefer a Ruger SP101 in .357.

SpotlightRanger
August 31, 2009, 11:04 PM
Of those I would pick the .44. But before that there is a whole list of other guns I would get first.

If you enjoyed reading about "Which would you want for a sd gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!