Info on Newton Arms 22-3000 C.C. Johnson

PDA

DesmoDucRob
August 25, 2009, 05:46 PM
I stumbled across an interesting rifle today, which I know very little about. The rifle appears to have been built by Newton Arms and was chambered in 22-3000 and had a double set trigger. The thing was beautiful and looks as if it were built on a Mauser action. The only markings on it were the 22-3000 which was marked over the previous designation (similar to a double die coin), and CC Johnson, Thackery. The owner also mentioned that he had two other barrels available for it, which struck me as odd; perhaps he meant "barreled actions":confused: Well if anyone can offer me any knowledge of any sort, or direct me in the right direction i'd appreciate it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Info on Newton Arms 22-3000 C.C. Johnson" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DesmoDucRob
August 25, 2009, 10:58 PM
Pictures of the rifle in question:

jim in Anchorage
August 25, 2009, 11:33 PM
Very interesting rifle. I assume the 22-3000 is the 22-250. Lots of tap holes on the left side of the receiver. Side mount? It looks very well done. I know little about Mauser's [or Newtons] but I don't see a Mauser bolt release. Original Newton? Buy it.[Lose the $5.98 Weaver scope mount though].

dirtyjim
August 25, 2009, 11:50 PM
DesmoDucRob,
that is a newton. it has been rebarreled to the .22-3000 lovell.
the 22-3000 was a target round based on the 25-20 case & the owner may have had a couple extra barrels made at the time the gun was built.
i still haven't got me a newton, i'm always a day late or a dollar short.
if you pass on that one would you mind pm'ing me the gunshops phone number that has it

DesmoDucRob
August 26, 2009, 12:12 AM
The rifle has the 22-3000 barrel made by C.C. Johnson, a 30-40 Krag barrel made by Newton and a 257 Roberts barrel. A little research suggests that the CC Johnson barrel work was done prior to 1947, as that is when C.C. Johnson moved from Thackery. I'd really like to grab onto this one, but It's out of my reach this time around. Dirtyjim, PM will be sent.

Jim Watson
August 26, 2009, 12:44 AM
Yup, that is a real Newton. There are several variants and I don't know enough to say which is what.

C.C. Johnson was a noted gunsmith of a bygone day and undoubtedly rebarrelled, rebored, or rechambered it to .22-3000. Can you read the original caliber under his overstamp?

The .22-3000 was necked down from the .25-20 Single Shot (NOT W.C.F.) by Harvey Lovell.
Then there is the 2R Lovell which is an improved version with sharper shoulder named so because it was chambered with the second reamer design.
Buffalo Arms has .25-20 brass and lists .22-3000 and 2R brass as though they were the same thing ...which they are not. But you could get the gun up and going one way or another.

The other calibers sound strange, I bet there has been some fooling around in the magazine to handle that range of cartridges.

jim in Anchorage
August 26, 2009, 09:02 AM
Great. The longer I look at those pictures the better I realize I will never be happy without a original Newton. Will it never end?:banghead:

newtonguy
September 7, 2009, 09:40 PM
i own several newtons like this that were "dicked with" such a shame. Newton Arms Co. barrell in anything but .30 newton, .22 newton, 30usg, .256 newton, 40 newton and .33 newton probably isnt factory original. this gun looks like it's stock is cracked as well and probably not a candidate for a shooter unless it is restocked. my opinion...restock it, put a leupold 3x9 on it and shoot it. newtons bolts werent jeweled factory that i know of.
check those barrels to see if their cut rifling or parabolic. an original newton barrel should be parabolic (similar to a glock) or semi parabolic. pm me on this one if youve passed on it.....thx scott

Newton Arms Company
December 29, 2009, 05:38 PM
Hello All,
Check out www.NewtonArmsCompany.com. This site will take you to the Newton Rifle Cartridge Reloader Association, a source of historical Newton info and cartridge hand loading data. Please send your photos and load data for inclusion.
Hope this helps.

4sooth
December 29, 2009, 06:17 PM
Contact Bruce Jennings--Sheridan,Wyoming. He is the authority on the Newton rifle and has a collection which would make you drool. Also repairs Newtons--fixed my father-in-law's .256 after a case head separation.

He also has a book on the man and the rifle.

Newton Arms Company
January 1, 2010, 10:50 PM
He truly was a fancier of all things Newton, and a wealth of information on the man. Regretably, he passed away a couple years ago. Spoke with his daughter, she was liquidating his collection on GunBroker.com. His collection is long gone now, a lifes work spread to the 4 corners of the world.

Elbert P . Suggins
January 2, 2010, 10:52 AM
My uncle fell off a cliff in 1920 after surviving WW1 while hunting coyotes here in Idaho. Before the war he had a Model 94 30-30 but when he came back he wa impressed with the bolt action 1903 so he bought a Newton 256 and that is what he had when he died. When they found him the gun was stuck in a crack at the top of the cliff and the barrel was bent. My grandmother hated the gun so she give it to the farmer up the road. I always wanted a Newton and I found one at the Spokane gun show 6 years ago for $2500 and it is one of the finest guns quality and shooting wise that I have ever owned. I bought 256 dies for a friend who reloads for me. I never see them at gun shows. Just that one time and I bought it. You are lucky to own one.

xausa
March 13, 2010, 08:14 PM
I am fortunate enough to own five Newton rifles and have just contracted to buy a sixth, the rarest of all the Newtons, the 1922 Model. It was built in Germany to Newton's specifications after World War I. The action is a standard Oberndorf Mauser action, with a spoonhandle bolt handle, like that on the Type M (Mannlicher) Mauser sporting carbine. It is fitted with an unusual set trigger, using a reversed trigger in the front of the trigger guard to set the trigger, much like the one used by Schulz and Larsen with their target rifles after World War II.

According to the number on the barrel, it was rebarrelled in caliber .270 Winchester by the Niedner Rifle Corp. Dowagiac, Michigan in 1935 and at some point was fitted with a first model Lyman Alaskan scope in a Redfield Jr. mount. Since only 100 such rifles were made, the rifle itself is a rarity, but to be combined with the name of Niedner, one of the most famous of pre-World War II gunsmiths, makes it beyond rare. I feel truly proud to have acquired it.

I will probably be reducing my stock of Newtons to pay for this one, so if anyone is interested, please contact me.

If you enjoyed reading about "Info on Newton Arms 22-3000 C.C. Johnson" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!