S&W 642 for deer?

PDA

ArmedBear
August 26, 2009, 11:15 AM
Last Fall, when I was walking around hunting quail with the top-quality SxS I picked up brand new for 50 bucks per recommendations in the shotgun forum, I saw a deer about 350 yards away. I had a tag, but no rifle.

So I was thinking, this season I'd put my hammerless J-frame in my pocket in case I saw a deer.

What ammo would you recommend for a .38 Special J-frame, for shots out to, say, 400 yards? (I know that .38 Special isn't a really powerful round, but I plan to use perfect shot placement, since everyone says that's all that really matters.)

Also, I'm looking for a scope for my .458 Win Mag for shooting antelope, but I don't want to spend more than 25 dollars, including the bases and rings. Can anyone recommend a really good one, preferably 2-36X, 50mm, AO, but not too heavy, in my price range?

:banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W 642 for deer?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
natman
August 26, 2009, 11:22 AM
Bear, if you want to pull people's legs, you have to be a bit more subtle about it than proposing to use a 38 snubby at 400 yards. :D

ArmedBear
August 26, 2009, 11:27 AM
If I asked about using a Beretta 92 at 100 yards, could you even tell I was kidding, around here?:uhoh:

Speaking of which... Say I wanted to go elk hunting with a 16" M4gery and an LCP as backup. How many loaded 30-round magazines should I bring? Do you think 10 is enough?

kmrcstintn
August 26, 2009, 11:29 AM
yer short barreled, double action only, internal hammered .38 spl +p snub nosed revolver isn't designed to be used for such work, hence your ability to place a shot will be hampered quite a bit; there isn't enough velocity or retained energy to keep a .38 spl bullet on a flat trajectory to reach out to 400 yards, let alone have enough energy for a deep penetrating shot & humane kill on a bigger game animal like that @ 100 yards

the most I would consider using a .38 spl round for (on deer sized game) is finishing off a wounded deer by placing a shot into the back of the head behind the ears; I would use something that has a flat tip and sharp contoured shoulders (like a 158gr lead semiwadcutter remanufactured load from Mastercast.net)

3pairs12
August 26, 2009, 11:46 AM
I think Double Tap makes some hunting rounds for that 38 of yours. As for .458 win mag an antelope I just don't know if that is the ideal caliber. At our camp 15 mags is the minimum recomended amount of mags for elk hunting. What optics will you be using on that M4gery? ;)

GodGuns&Guitars
August 26, 2009, 11:47 AM
Geeezzzz, did I need a good laugh this morning.

ArmedBear
August 26, 2009, 11:51 AM
What optics will you be using on that M4gery?

Definitely an Aimpoint, with a flip-down magnifier for shots over 500 yards. Don't worry, I plan to use 63 grain bullets. I know the 55 grainers are a little light for elk, especially the FMJs.

Question: how do I keep Lithium batteries alive when it's below freezing?

As for .458 win mag an antelope I just don't know if that is the ideal caliber.

I'd use something with a bit more velocity, but I'm concerned about meat damage.

kdstrick
August 26, 2009, 11:53 AM
You will need some of the plutonium tipped +P rounds.

I would recommend a nice 6.5x20x50 Zeiss scope for your 642. :cool:

ArmedBear
August 26, 2009, 11:54 AM
You will need some of the plutonium tipped +P rounds.

That's a good idea.

Do you think the radiation will keep the meat from spoiling?:D

3pairs12
August 26, 2009, 11:56 AM
Yeah I think that the aimpoint with the flip down magnifier would be good, but I know a guy who said his friends brother has killed 100 elk with 55gr FMJs out to 700 meters, so it would probably be fine since he did it. Just make sure shot placement is good and you'll fine. You also make a good point about meat damage what about something along the lines of a 416 Rigby. Little smaller of a bullet. I think (once again with good shot placement) this may be the round you seek.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
August 26, 2009, 12:21 PM
2-36x50 AO pistol scope for a snubbie .38 - that's a hoot. :D

Seriously, if your question *would have been* serious, this is one possible actual practical solution:

http://plainsmanscabin.yuku.com/topic/4156

You get 'em lined up right, and you can take 20 or 30 antelope with one shot from the .458. :p

ArmedBear
August 26, 2009, 12:23 PM
I know a guy who said his friends brother has killed 100 elk with 55gr FMJs out to 700 meters, so it would probably be fine since he did it.

That's exactly the rumor I heard somewhere. Everyone there was drunk, though, so I didn't remember the details very well. Thanks for the accurate info!:evil:

ArmedBear
August 26, 2009, 12:25 PM
You get 'em lined up right, and you can take 20 or 30 antelope with one shot from the .458.

What bullet do you recommend? I'd guess it should be non-expanding, but what bullets will continue to fly straightest when entering and exiting antelope?

Also, what twist do you recommend to keep the bullet stable as it passes through?

MCgunner
August 26, 2009, 12:48 PM
Well, on the shotgun forum, I learned that the .410 slug is the best deer medicine available. Hmm, might have to rethink that, though, since I do have several .38s.

ArmedBear
August 26, 2009, 12:51 PM
On the shotgun forum, I learned that, even if you have never fired a shotgun in your life, you can KNOW without a doubt that a SxS is the only option for you.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
August 26, 2009, 12:53 PM
That's exactly the rumor I heard somewhere.

You're grossly misinformed (or you MUST have indeed been drunk). It was 900 meters, not 700 meters, that the guy's friend's brother killed 200 elk at, with 45 gr JHP .223.

The twist rate on the .458 WM must be 1 in 1" - one complete twist every inch of the barrel - that's the only way you can knock down in excess of 15 ungulates with one shot. At least that's what I heard over at sniperninjahunting.com. And by next year, they're coming out with a bullet that deforms to the shape of a boomerang after expanding through the first target and exiting, so that on the way back around, you should be able to kill at least 2 or 3 more in a big herd of antelope. You'll have between 4.5 and 6 seconds (depending on the atmospheric pressure and humidity) to hit the deck before the bullet comes back and hits you.

kdstrick
August 26, 2009, 12:54 PM
That's a good idea.

Do you think the radiation will keep the meat from spoiling?

It will not. But it will eliminate the need to 'age' your meat, as the plutonium begins to break down the various enzymes upon impact. Tasty! :)

Warning: It may also cause cancer... but so does everything else.:D

CoRoMo
August 26, 2009, 01:13 PM
I'm looking for a scope for my .458 Win Mag for shooting antelope, but I don't want to spend more than 25 dollars

Tasco is the answer here. They make top tier rifle scopes that can be found for about $15.99 at Wal Mart. Just look for them hanging on the aisle, not the overpriced ones under the glass-top cabinet. No, no, no. They put those expensive ones behind the counter because they are so cheaply made, fragile and delicate, they wouldn't hold up in a plastic package on an aisle hook.:cool:

I think Tasco has the current USMC sniper equipment contract locked down. No one else can compete.:neener:

ArmedBear
August 26, 2009, 01:16 PM
A local gun shop had a consignment S&W revolver with a Tasco red dot on it. They wanted $575.

I said to tell the gun's owner I'd offer $500 for the gun -- or $575 if he took the scope off.:D

I had a Tasco once. Once.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
August 26, 2009, 03:59 PM
No one else is anxiously awaiting the advent of the boomerang bullet?

I had a Tasco once. Once. Ditto. Still have it. Never shot a gun with it. The reticle broke during the 1st *mounting* of the scope. And this was the "good one" - a Tasco "World Class" - world class crap, that is - they didn't bother finishing the sentence. :mad:

Old Fuff
August 26, 2009, 04:07 PM
What ammo would you recommend for a .38 Special J-frame, for shots out to, say, 400 yards? (I know that .38 Special isn't a really powerful round, but I plan to use perfect shot placement, since everyone says that's all that really matters.)

Has you by any chance got thr poor Ol' Fuff in your sights.... ?? :scrutiny: :D

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
August 26, 2009, 04:12 PM
Aww, Ol Fuff, don't worry, just moon him while jiggling your rearend like in Braveheart - he ain't gonna hit you from that far! :)

Old Fuff
August 26, 2009, 05:06 PM
Oh I'm not worried... I just want to discuss those 400 yard deer shots I take with my snubby. :what:

Is it my fault that some folks just can't shoot straight. :neener: :D

ArmedBear
August 26, 2009, 05:07 PM
Has you by any chance got thr poor Ol' Fuff in your sights.... ??

No. I didn't think you were one of the ".22 Shorts are great deer rounds with the right shot placement" crowd.:D

Old Fuff
August 26, 2009, 05:28 PM
".22 Shorts are great deer rounds with the right shot placement" crowd.

Obviously you aren't an experienced poacher... :neener: :D

MCgunner
August 26, 2009, 06:37 PM
I've killed at least a dozen hogs with a .38 snub, dropped 'em right there, dead. Shot placement is everything. The CNS is the spot.

After shooting them, then you have to get 'em out of the trap, but that ain't tough, either.

kanook
August 27, 2009, 09:49 AM
On the shotgun forum, I learned that, even if you have never fired a shotgun in your life, you can KNOW without a doubt that a SxS is the only option for you. So does hunting with this SxS have mag restrictions similiar to the SkS. The SkS come with a 75 round clip that needs to be blocked (I think)

MCgunner
August 27, 2009, 09:56 AM
The SKS comes with a 10 round fixed magazine and USES clips, stripper clips. :D It does NOT need to be blocked or replaced with the 5 rounder for hunting, not in Texas and Texas is all that matters, after all. :neener: However, I have one with a 5 round mag on it because it's my truck gun and carries a lot easier without the magazine in the way right at the balance point of the rifle.

And, I love my side by sides. :D

MCgunner
August 27, 2009, 10:03 AM
Tasco is the answer here. They make top tier rifle scopes that can be found for about $15.99 at Wal Mart. Just look for them hanging on the aisle, not the overpriced ones under the glass-top cabinet. No, no, no. They put those expensive ones behind the counter because they are so cheaply made, fragile and delicate, they wouldn't hold up in a plastic package on an aisle hook.

I think Tasco has the current USMC sniper equipment contract locked down. No one else can compete.

Well, if they don't put mil dots in it and picante rail mounts, I don't want it, ain't worth a poop. And, those ones hanging on the rack rarely have enough power. I gotta have a 6x50 power variable where I hunt and I prefer a 66" objective for light gathering. Oh, and would prefer a built in laser range finder, of course. That way I can tell if it's 99 yards or 100 even.

3pairs12
August 27, 2009, 10:39 AM
That way I can tell if it's 99 yards or 100 even.

But if you are using your sxs 12 gauge rifle with the 10 round mag installed wrong at the balance point, than the difference odf a yard won't matter too much as long as the shot placement is good.

420Stainless
August 28, 2009, 03:37 PM
you have to get 'em out of the trap

Thanks MC. I stayed home from work today to mend an ankle that I hope is only sprained. That is one of the funniest things I've read or heard in a long time.

What bullet do you recommend? I'd guess it should be non-expanding, but what bullets will continue to fly straightest when entering and exiting antelope?

Doesn't matter. That caliber is primarily for hunting and every hunting ammo review I ever read the bullet is always lodged just under the skin on the far side of the animal. Now if you use the .38, LRN should get through 3 or 4 of them without much problem.

WNC Seabee
August 28, 2009, 04:03 PM
I heard a story once, told by my neighbor's cousin, where he had said that his best friend's mistress (you know, the one with no legs?) knew a guy that shot a deer at 400 yards with his .38. Said he used wadcutters, cause that's all god intended to be used in .38's.

kanook
August 28, 2009, 04:20 PM
knew a guy that shot a deer at 400 yards with his .38what did he shoot his 38 out of to get it to go 400 yds?

Racinbob
August 28, 2009, 04:43 PM
I'm planning a bear hunt in Alaska soon. I've been looking at several rifles in various calibers. Dang if this thread didn't bring me to my senses. My LCP is all I need! Thanks for saving me some big bucks.

Racinbob
August 28, 2009, 05:48 PM
No need for anyone to worry. I don't take chances. I'll have two spare magazines crammed full of WWB FMJ with me just in case. AND....I'll also be fully prepared with my pocket knife just in case my shooting abilities fail me and I need to finish him off by hand. My wife told me I was packing too heavy. What does she know?

3pairs12
August 28, 2009, 05:53 PM
My wife told me I was packing too heavy. What does she know?

She must be talking about the extra mags. 1 is probably enough.

IdahoLT1
August 28, 2009, 07:42 PM
That's a good idea.

Do you think the radiation will keep the meat from spoiling?

Id stay away from the plutonium tipped bullets. If its velocity exceeds a certain point, it will create a worm hole. My fathers, boss', son's, ex boyfriends, roomate's, mechanic had some for his .22-250. He shot a couple rounds off of his yacht in the atlantic a couple weeks ago. It chronod at 25,652fps and opened up a worm hole.

You know Amelia Earhardt, the lady whose been missing for 70 years? Well what really happened to her was that she flew through the worm hole he created on accident. But you cant tell anyone because the the CIA, FBI, the KGB, the SS(Hitler is still alive, but thats for another discussion) and the USPS have been monitoring his movements. He's even been questioned by MASA (Mexican Aeronáutica y Spacial Administración) as theyve been trying to get their hands on his bullets.

MCgunner
August 28, 2009, 07:53 PM
what did he shoot his 38 out of to get it to go 400 yds?

I'm guessing a Davis Derringer.

No need for anyone to worry. I don't take chances. I'll have two spare magazines crammed full of WWB FMJ with me just in case. AND....I'll also be fully prepared with my pocket knife just in case my shooting abilities fail me and I need to finish him off by hand. My wife told me I was packing too heavy. What does she know?

Just guessing, but does your wife have a large life insurance policy on you? :D

Racinbob
August 28, 2009, 09:49 PM
Ummm.... Don't know. Should I be concerned?

kanook
August 29, 2009, 11:21 AM
only if she gives you a white tee shirt, a white hat and a brown jacket to wear as your new hunting clothes.

Pony Express
August 30, 2009, 07:59 PM
i have some nuclear fission powered handloads for sale, PM for more info

content
August 30, 2009, 08:44 PM
Hello friends and neighbors/ I'll sell you a shoulder stock for that 642. Then you'd get em for sure. ;- )

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W 642 for deer?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!