Ammo loading 3 +1 Magazine problem.

PDA

Arkel23
August 26, 2009, 05:35 PM
Ok I have a .300 Weatherby Mag in Vanguard, and I'm supposed to be able to have one in the chamber and three in the magazine. It's an internal spring magazine, I can't get 1 in the chamber and 3 in the magazine for nothing :banghead: How do you do it with a spring magazine?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ammo loading 3 +1 Magazine problem." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GodGuns&Guitars
August 26, 2009, 05:37 PM
I have one also in 300 Weatherby. Hang on, I'll go check to make sure one how many will fit.

GodGuns&Guitars
August 26, 2009, 05:47 PM
Yep, three plus one. Trick to it though. Load three in the magazine, then drop the fourth round in, sliding it a little ways forward towards the chamber. With your left free hand, push down on the already loaded rounds and start your bolt forward. There is just enough clearance to load the fourth round in the chamber.

Arkel23
August 26, 2009, 05:57 PM
I tried this, but the bolt was pushing/rubbing on the bullet in the magazine so hard I didn't continue.

GodGuns&Guitars
August 26, 2009, 06:02 PM
Make sure the magazine is free of any extra stuff that shouldn't be in there. Drop the plate and visually check it. Mine just slides right on up in there on the fourth round, smooth as silk. You sure you have 300 Weatherby ammo?

GodGuns&Guitars
August 26, 2009, 06:22 PM
You'll have to hold the three rounds in the mag down until your bolt is quite a ways forward. This all being said, my question is why do you feel you need the fourth round in the chamber? I am not comfortable carrying like this and know few who do. This is your decission however, not mine. I have found since owning the 300 Weatherby any thing smaller than cape buffalo or 1958 Buicks generally fall where they are hit with a 180 grain slug doing 3190 fps.

ArmedBear
August 26, 2009, 06:26 PM
I can see one reason to really cram the magazine (my .30-06 will take 5+1 but only if I do as others have said, and it does feel wrong). If you want an empty chamber (required by law in some places if you put the gun in or on a vehicle, or recommended for safety in some hiking situations), you might want a truly full magazine. Otherwise, you are carrying only 2 rounds (or in my case 4).

middy
August 26, 2009, 06:51 PM
I have found since owning the 300 Weatherby any thing smaller than cape buffalo or 1958 Buicks generally fall where they are hit with a 180 grain slug doing 3190 fps.

But what if the buffalo doesn't go down with the first shot, and the Buick maneuvers to your flank? You'll be damn glad you have 3 more shots instead of only 2, that's what!

rcmodel
August 26, 2009, 06:56 PM
If I bought & paid for a Weatherby that is supposed to hold 3 rounds in the magazine, I would damn well expect it to hold three rounds in the magazine, whether I needed them all or not.

If it won't, there is something wrong with it somewhere.
Or, you ain't pushing them down hard enough.

rc

DRYHUMOR
August 26, 2009, 06:59 PM
:D:D:D lol The buick wasn't named Christine was it. You might need some sort of silver bullet.

Arkel23
August 26, 2009, 07:02 PM
You sure you have 300 Weatherby ammo? Yes.
This all being said, my question is why do you feel you need the fourth round in the chamber? I just remembered it said it fit 3 +1 and I was testing it out, I don't plan to carry like that this deer season.

GodGuns&Guitars
August 26, 2009, 07:50 PM
Mine will take them.

GodGuns&Guitars
August 26, 2009, 07:53 PM
Drop the fourth round in and let it slide towards the chamber. Push down on the rear of the loaded rounds (in the magazine) and slowly slide the bolt forward until you have to remove your fingers. It should go.

Arkel23
August 26, 2009, 10:02 PM
Thx GG&G.

PandaBearBG
August 27, 2009, 04:29 AM
What if the buffalo was drivng the buick? hahahaah

GodGuns&Guitars
August 27, 2009, 12:53 PM
What if the buffalo was drivng the buick? hahahaah

I'd be in deep................!!!:eek:

foghornl
August 27, 2009, 01:06 PM
Dryhumor...yeah it could have been, except Christine was a red '58 Plymouth (Don't remember the exact model, though)

If you enjoyed reading about "Ammo loading 3 +1 Magazine problem." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!