Cleaning Garand clips

PDA

elktrout
August 26, 2009, 11:43 PM
I have some M-1 Garand enbloc clips that are slightly corroded (have that light green hard film on the metal). Anyone have any good methods of cleaning them? Powder solvent and a brush sure is time consuming.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cleaning Garand clips" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Maverick223
August 26, 2009, 11:49 PM
Just a thought...if you reload you could throw it in the case tumbler with some light polishing media (corncob). Should go a LOT quicker...and easier too. :D

CapnMac
August 26, 2009, 11:50 PM
Borrowed an ultrasonic (industrial size) cleaner for the bucket I got cheap.
Still had to get them all wiped clean, but it was pretty quick doing the entire 1000 or so.

goofy grape
August 27, 2009, 02:18 AM
I've got about twenty I need to clean and am glad someone asked the question.

Im283
August 27, 2009, 01:52 PM
my clips are not funked up, but just have the parkerized coating.

I use steel wool on them. Takes less than a minute. Rub them down on the inside until they feel nice and smooth.

skidooman603
August 27, 2009, 02:04 PM
+1 on tumbler. Works fine

Maverick223
August 27, 2009, 02:20 PM
+1 on tumbler. Works fineGlad it helped...just came to me. :)

elktrout
September 2, 2009, 12:33 AM
I tried the vibratory cleaner angle, but it did not take off the corrosion on the clips. I even tried auto battery spray cleaner, which helped somewhat but still the greenish colored corrosion is there.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Maverick223
September 2, 2009, 12:40 AM
Try a different, more abrasive cleaning media...sand might do the trick...other than that scrub it with steel wool. :)

Uncle Mike
December 30, 2009, 10:34 AM
Blast em'!

Walnut hull in a sand blaster...has worked for us for....a damn long time! lol hehehehe
It'll remove everything BUT the blue or parkerizing.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cleaning Garand clips" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!