caliber???

PDA

Cosmose
October 28, 2003, 10:01 PM
hi, i've been into handguns and shotguns basically all my life, but for some reason i've never got into rifles. i have a henry 22lr. but i have never shot a centerfire rifle. and i just wondered if sombody would please list the most popular rifle caliber's from strongest to weakest. like 30-30 and 7mm and 30-06, and 223. etc.. etc..
i would greatly appreciate it.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "caliber???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Vern Humphrey
October 28, 2003, 10:11 PM
You're asking for a lot -- because there are so many rifle cartridges.

A simple list of common cartridges would be:

223 Remington -- a good varmit round (same as the standard military rifle carridge, the 5.56X45 NATO.)

.243 Winchester -- a good deer and antelope cartridge, based on a necked down .308 Winchester.

.30-30 Winchester -- a medium to short range cartridge. Mostly seen in flat, easy to carry lever actions.

7X57 Mauser -- dates back to about 1892, and still a very good cartridge.

.270 Winchester -- a classic cartridge, good for deer and similar critters. Basically a necked-down .30-06

.308 Winchester -- the replacement for the .30-06 (same as the 7.62X51 NATO)

.30-06 -- the old standby, and a bit more powerful than the .308 (especially if you're a handloader.)

This is by no means an exhaustive list -- just a list of some of the most common center fires in the US.

Cosmose
October 28, 2003, 10:15 PM
thanks for the reply. thats really all the caliber's that i wanted to know about. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "caliber???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!