Nightstand gun

PDA

alanwk
August 27, 2009, 08:43 AM
Do you keep your nightstand gun in a holster or does it just lay 'naked' on the stand or in the drawer?

If you enjoyed reading about "Nightstand gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bri
August 27, 2009, 08:49 AM
Depends on the day, usually still in the holster though.

Schwebel
August 27, 2009, 09:57 AM
My bed is up against wall on one side, I mounted a holster on the frame rail nearest to the wall. That way I can grab it, and still have it semi-hidden in the room. Also I always know where its at and it would not be accessable to someone else entering the room.

harmon rabb
August 27, 2009, 09:59 AM
naked on my nightstand. nobody is getting in without my dog alerting me first, so i'm unconcerned about someone sneaking in my room while i'm sleeping and grabbing it first. not going to happen.

indiandave
August 27, 2009, 10:07 AM
Same as Mr. Rabb. I have Two Pit Bulls and a alarm system. I keep my gun on top of my nightstand with no holster.

GRAYRID3R
August 27, 2009, 10:16 AM
Mine used to be in a hoster on the bed post, but too many "strangers" come into the house (ie exterminators, plumbers, rug cleaners, other tradesmen) so I put it in the drawer. I don't want anybody getting any ideas about coming back when I'm not home and helpingthem selves. All my other guns are hidden except the ones mounted on the wall. I know it seems like a double standard, but I do have a security system and a dog ,and ripping the guns off the wall would take a little more time than grabbing an XDm off a night stand. The grab and hide in the pants (or shoot me in the head) could even occurr when we are home. The XDm is the only gun I keep loaded and ready, so it stays in the night stand.

geronimo509
August 27, 2009, 10:16 AM
Naked on top of my nightstand. But, the holster is sitting on the corner of the nightstand. An extra mag and a flashlight is right next to my gun

M2 Carbine
August 27, 2009, 10:17 AM
Naked on the nightstand and in the drawer. I have several.

z3ro
August 27, 2009, 10:17 AM
Naked in the drawer in my nightstand, at all times.

Thomas Garrett
August 27, 2009, 11:03 AM
Naked in the drawer for me.

jackstinson
August 27, 2009, 11:09 AM
There are four filled holsters beside the bed and a shotgun under the bed.
Two highly trained (albeit un-holstered) ex-LEO guard cats are patrolling the lower floor.
Oh yes, I also keep two pet Cottonmouths between the two sliding doors' glass and screen, and a third between the front door and storm door. Also not holstered. Have you ever tried to find a decent snake holster?

jackstinson
August 27, 2009, 11:11 AM

Cards81fan
August 27, 2009, 11:15 AM
No holster, or as you say "naked," in the nightstand drawer, along with two spare magazines of hardball, just in case.

Lakeshore
August 27, 2009, 11:48 AM
I jury-rigged something to hold the holster/pistol on the bed rail. All I do is drop my right hand and it's on the gun.

Aside from the issue of having the gun out in plain view dust is an issue. Where I live the air is quite dirty, found that if I leave any gun sitting out it has to be cleaned every couple of days.

Average Joe
August 27, 2009, 09:11 PM
its naked and ready for action, just like my girl friend.

DRYHUMOR
August 27, 2009, 09:37 PM
Naked in the drawer, along with a large, sharp knife...

Just in case.

KyJim
August 27, 2009, 10:07 PM
Usually naked in a drawer.

MS .45
August 27, 2009, 10:40 PM
I keep mine with no holster on my nightstand nest to a flashlight. In the morning it goes in a small handgun safe i have.

smallbore
August 27, 2009, 10:45 PM
Under my pillow.

s4s4u
August 27, 2009, 11:23 PM
nekked

MR.G
August 27, 2009, 11:26 PM
Under my pillow.

crawfobj
August 27, 2009, 11:30 PM
Young kids. in the gunvault mini vault, but very accessable.

AKElroy
August 27, 2009, 11:31 PM
Fully loaded XDm .40 in a holster w/ extra mag pouch & TLR-2 attached. I ordered it direct from WRB; it is not intended for concealed or long term belt carry; it is just a handy way to keep the gun & extra mag together.

rhinoh
August 28, 2009, 03:13 AM
My Sig P220 lays naked right on the corner of the nightstand. It is really very comforting to wake up in the middle of the night, see the tritiums glowing back at me confirming its presence and readiness if needed. Like others I'm not worried about anyone getting in past the mutts without me knowing...
Oh and the wife's is also at the ready on her side of the bed on her nightstand, for backup don't ya know.

Just One Shot
August 28, 2009, 09:22 AM
My night stand is my stand up safe by myside of the bed that is unlocked with the door open and all of my handguns are loaded so I don't have to worry about which one to grab.

ichiban
August 28, 2009, 11:11 AM
My night stand does not have drawers so I build a concealed shelf under the table top and that is where my Beretta sleeps.

Seven For Sure
August 29, 2009, 12:35 AM
I keep a Glock 20 on the nightstand. I keep it in the holster with one in the pipe. I can draw from the holster without a sound while racking the slide would make noise. I'm not leaving a Glock with one in the pipe unholstered period. I also have three large and very protective dogs. Nobody will get in without me knowing but my nightstand gun is my truck gun also so why screw with it more than needed?

wesessiah
August 30, 2009, 05:53 AM
i keep it naked in the drawer... but i've thought about doing like others and rig up a holster on the side of the headboard for slightly quicker access. the ruger p90 is the one i keep in the nightstand.

Lincoln7
August 30, 2009, 06:32 AM
In a holster mounted to my bed frame. I drape the bed skirt over it to hide it. And I finally found a use for the holster that came with my XD!

C-grunt
August 30, 2009, 06:34 AM
Mine is holstered on the stand. I dont want a ND some morning when Im grabbing for my alarm clock. The wife also has hers holstered on her night stand.

Also have an alarm and three dogs, so Im not worried about someone sneaking in.

Alan Fud
August 30, 2009, 03:23 PM
No holster ... http://fud-files.netfirms.com/image/private/guns/f127.jpg

9mm+
August 30, 2009, 03:26 PM
With two kids in the house, I store mine in a quick-cipher strong box under my bed. I can unlock the box and have the pistol in my hand in just a few seconds.

9mm+
August 30, 2009, 03:33 PM
And I finally found a use for the holster that came with my XD!

Glad you mentioned that. My XD holster is still in the case. Unless you're a LEO or need to carry your pistol openly for work, the holster is not useful IMO. Maybe if it were a paddle holster, I might feel differently.

The Wiry Irishman
August 30, 2009, 03:33 PM
One of these, screwed to my bedpost:

http://www.fastholster.com/

9mm+
August 30, 2009, 03:57 PM
Hey, that FAST is cool! Great idea! I will have to wait until the kids are out of the house before using one of these, but I like the idea... :)

swmp9jrm
August 30, 2009, 04:39 PM
Naked in an open GunVault - unless the grandkids are here, and then the GunVault is locked.

chuckles
August 30, 2009, 05:06 PM
SiG 226-9 w/TLR-1, locked, loaded and naked on the nightstand and a Mossberg 590SP, loaded with Fed LR LE132 00Buck next to the bed.

The Wiry Irishman
August 30, 2009, 05:36 PM
Hey, that FAST is cool! Great idea! I will have to wait until the kids are out of the house before using one of these, but I like the idea...

One of them is strong enough to pick up my FAL with a loaded mag, too.

frankiestoys
August 30, 2009, 06:34 PM
My 642 sits inside of a book box on the night stand.;)

9mm+
August 30, 2009, 06:58 PM
One of them is strong enough to pick up my FAL with a loaded mag, too.

Just make sure that you keep all electronics away from the table top. The strength of those magnets could kill your favorite cell phone or laptop...ouch!

laktrash
August 30, 2009, 08:20 PM
Inside unzipped gun rug top drawer night stand. + carry gun with ctc in pocket holster next to it at night. two shotguns in closet and three great danes for alarm system.

Malamute
August 30, 2009, 11:44 PM
Naked. Other than the coating of dust everything in this state accumulates in short order. It's never affected the function of any of my guns tho.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/Malamute/bill16.jpg

Choclabman
August 31, 2009, 07:53 AM
A Colt Government, sits loaded and holstered on the nightstand.

Security system and Rottweiler in the house. It's all about layers.

Fetus
August 31, 2009, 08:17 AM
malamute -- Nice dog ! and what kind of pistol is that ??

Omaha-BeenGlockin
August 31, 2009, 09:02 AM
Naked---Ruger SR9 within reach---2 spare mags a couple feet away----short barreled 870 stoked with 00 buck behind the door.

Alarm cat running around the house all night--lol.

Malamute
August 31, 2009, 11:00 AM
"malamute -- Nice dog ! and what kind of pistol is that ??"

It's a Ruger Vaquero in .45 cal, with 325 gr loads. The things that would go bump in the night around here are more likely to be furry, and possibly large and sharp around the edges. The rifle is an 1886 Browning carbine.

qwik
August 31, 2009, 12:00 PM
I have a plastic tote tray on bedside dresser, keep everyday pocket stuff - - > keys , light , knife , wallet , ccw gun , etc ... :) helps to keep me ready at moments notice
:scrutiny: ifgottago----color me G O n e ..............

scurtis_34471
August 31, 2009, 12:08 PM
XD-40 with TFO TruGlo sights, loaded but not chambered, naked in the drawer with a SureFire 6P LED on top of the night stand.

sean m
August 31, 2009, 12:26 PM
No nightstand but my headboard does a have a book shelf with two sliding doors. I keep my house revolver and carry revolver in each end with a reload or two for each. Each are holstered with a a flashlight beside them. Cellphone is on top of the headboard hooked to its charger.

jn1965
August 31, 2009, 12:43 PM
its naked and ready for action, just like my girl friend.
Love it... Mine are both sheathed one in a holster the other in a nightie...

Ala Dan
August 31, 2009, 03:20 PM
lays neck'ed, on the first interior level of my RSC- for fast and easy access~!;)

SSN Vet
August 31, 2009, 03:39 PM
in a holster with a cotton belt threaded through the loops and wrapped around it.....

this way, I can draw the gun directly from the holster and be armed...

or.....

I can sling the belt over one arm and my neck and get around the house with both hands available, yet my side arm on my person.

lobo9er
August 31, 2009, 03:46 PM
malamute, good picture!

NoleMan
August 31, 2009, 04:13 PM
On top of the night stand, unholstered, loaded, safety off, ready to go. That goes for me and my wife. I also have a big bulldog and a Chiuaua mix...great alarm system. My house would be one of the last houses you'd want to break into. :D

Fryerpower
August 31, 2009, 04:17 PM
Kids in the house...
Holstered in a newer Fobus holster in the dresser. The holster is tight so the kids can't get it out if they tried. Holster covers the trigger, plus we keep it with the chamber empty anyways. It acts very much like a gun lock for children.

It has 15 round magazine in it, a full 18 round magazine and a full 31 round magazine next to it.

I'll have to come up with something new in a few years.

-Jim

wilkersk
September 1, 2009, 04:29 AM
Mini GunVault.

My SD gun is my last line of defense. Common sense and good locks are first.

nachosgrande
September 1, 2009, 05:05 AM
Maybe it's just because this is posted in the handgun thread, but I was always under the impression that a shotgun with 00 buck was the ultimate home defense weapon. Very surprised I did not see much of that in this thread.

sawhitt
September 1, 2009, 05:06 AM
nekkid and on top

I'll pass on the obvious sex reference.

Probie9
September 1, 2009, 08:06 AM
In a holster with the spare mag on top of the night stand. It goes in the drawer in the a.m.

Texasborn
September 1, 2009, 12:50 PM
Small kids. So it's locked in the easy access pistol safe. 2 boxers will keep BGs busy until I can get it.

FAS1
September 1, 2009, 04:09 PM
Not exactly on the nightstand. Drill a couple holes and mount to your bedframe. When you make your bed it is covered and secure. You can even leave the door open at night and your gun is right there next to you. When you close the lid in the morning it locks automatically since it uses a spring latch option on the lock.

See group buys for 25% discount.

http://www.fas1safe.com

Shipwreck
September 1, 2009, 04:34 PM
That Fas1safe is interesting. I've never seen that before.

I would possibly get 1, b ut I think it is over prices. I paid just over $100 for a gunvault - and that has electronics and such.

That Fas1Safe seems to be pretty nice. But, I think if they cut the price in 1/2, it might sell more.

FAS1
September 1, 2009, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the feedback Shipwreck. I wish I could sell them for $139.00 like the Gunvault Mini which is similiar in size. If you look at the cost of the components you can easily see that it can't be done, at least not in the USA and I have no interest in sending the jobs to China. Simply take the price of steel alone and compare the Gunvaults weight of 9 lbs. to ours at 21lbs. The security that alone provides will make a difference for many buyers. We designed our safe to be very strong and secure without needing any power source. While you stated you see a value in electronics, we don't. We want to provide the most secure and accessible handgun safe on the market and ours gives the customers another choice. Not everyone is a price shopper, especially when it come to security. You probably don't buy the cheapest gun on the market.

Thanks again for the input and thanks to all the customers that see the value in our product.
Glenn

Shipwreck
September 1, 2009, 06:43 PM
Oh, wow. I'm sorry - I didn't notice your screen name - I didn't realize that was your own product.

It is a very interesting product. I have a gunvault deluxe (the smaller size, however). And, there are some problems people seem to routinely have with the cable breaking. It's not a huge problem - but enough of a problem I see popping up.

So, seeing this as an alternative is very cool. It's just too high for me.

But anyway - as I hadn't seen this around before - you should find a few forums to advertise on to get the word out.

FAS1
September 1, 2009, 07:10 PM
No apology needed. It is relatively new and we hope you will see it around a little more very soon. Our sales are doing well and we are growing. Hope to add a couple other products soon.
I'm sure the Gunvault is a good product and I see alot of people give positive feedback on them. We just have a different idea and hope enough other people are looking for a product like ours.

Ragnar Danneskjold
September 1, 2009, 07:54 PM
Young kids. in the gunvault mini vault, but very accessable.

That's awfully presumptuous.

Shipwreck
September 1, 2009, 11:16 PM
I don't understand this. I've had a gunvault for 2.5 years.

I mention the dreaded "cable break" that gunvaults sometimes suffer from - I mention it earlier this afternoon.

Guess what just broke! Damn!!! The cable... I can only open mine with the key now.

496 polara
September 1, 2009, 11:19 PM
My HK USP compact .45 sits on top of my bible with a spare loaded mag beside it.Maybe 8 inches from my pillow.

Shipwreck
September 1, 2009, 11:34 PM
Well, I have a 2 year old son. I can't leave guns out anymore

FAS1
September 1, 2009, 11:58 PM
I didn't do it! Hey Shipwreck, Does Gunvault repair those cables?

Shipwreck
September 2, 2009, 12:05 AM
I didn't do it! Hey Shipwreck, Does Gunvault repair those cables?

I think they do - I will call tomorrow and see.

However, if they just replace the cable with 1 like it - it can break again in 2 to 3 years. What if I NEED it that time it breaks.

I'll see what they say, but I may buy that WInchester EVault.

colorado_handgunner
September 2, 2009, 12:39 AM
No holster, loaded, on nightstand. Two mags in drawer (36 rounds all together at the ready). Two additional guns loaded in the safe. Gun goes into the safe in the morning, and one comes out for carry.

jaholder1971
September 2, 2009, 12:50 AM
My nightstand gun's holstered.

the only thing naked in my bedroom's me!

Shipwreck
September 2, 2009, 01:33 PM
Well, I called Gunvault - they will ship me another one (probably refurbished), and there will be a box and shipping label to return the broken one.

It will not cost me anything. That is great customer service. HOWEVER, I do have a worry that this would possibly happen again. So, I'm not sure if I will buy another to replace it or not.

Marlin 45 carbine
September 2, 2009, 01:42 PM
somewhat like FAS1 I have a spare el-cheapo holster velcro-taped to the bedpost on nite-lite side for my Makarov.
but also my SXS 12 ga Magnum leaned in corner near the nite-lite for back up if needed.

c919
September 2, 2009, 05:54 PM
I have my PX4 in an old Uncle Mikes (not sure what size) and it's tucked in between my box springs and the side runner of the bed. It fits perfect and I can draw it while laying in bed with minimal moving. IMO this is way quicker to access than in the nightstand drawer. The best part is that it's under the bed-skirt so it's not even remotely noticeable. In fact, I have a 4d MagLight in there as well.

I'm not sure how well this will work for others, but I think it would probably work with most beds.

GunBugBit
September 2, 2009, 06:21 PM
Sleep behind a locked door of course, nekkid 1911 next to a flashlight on the nightstand in easy arm's reach.

Cell phone, Yugo SKS and CZ P-01 9mm not far away, in same room.

Pistols are fully loaded with one in the pipe, 1911 is condition 1 (cocked and locked) of course, SKS mag is loaded w/ no round chambered and bolt open, inside a case to avoid dust.

No kids in house -- one hardworking (full-time job AND full-time college) 20-year-old who will be buying his first 12ga shotgun soon.

Wife knows how to shoot, we all do. I'm ex-Army. Pick another house.

FAS1
September 10, 2009, 07:24 PM
Well, I called Gunvault - they will ship me another one (probably refurbished), and there will be a box and shipping label to return the broken one.

It will not cost me anything. That is great customer service. HOWEVER, I do have a worry that this would possibly happen again. So, I'm not sure if I will buy another to replace it or not.
Sounds like they are willing to at least support the product. That's good. I'm sure they don't want any more bad press about the weak link on their product. They are doing the right thing.

easyg
September 10, 2009, 10:39 PM
No holster when it's beside my bed.

Shipwreck
September 12, 2009, 11:13 AM
I got my replacement in yesterday. They sent me a brand new one.

only neg - the buttons are a little different. They have a plastic, soft covering over them. And, you do not get the tactile feeling when you press them. It's hard to tell if it takes a button or not sometimes.

Apparently, they made some changes from 2-3 years ago.

But, I am still happy I got a new one free

Chris Plitt
September 12, 2009, 12:20 PM
I tend to keep my Sig P250c on the nightstand with a streamlight TLR-1 attached... no holster of course. My wife is on the other side with her Glock 22 and TLR-2... can't forget the security system...

fase3
September 12, 2009, 10:06 PM
Three different variations of the 1911. If the problem happens it will be which one I can put my hands on. These are first choice-followed by Ruger Old Model Blackhawks(45LC-44Mag-41Mag- 357Mag) 3 screw and all are handy as it should be!

bhp9mm
September 15, 2009, 09:31 AM
my smith and wesson 15-3 38 is not in a holster

jhco
September 15, 2009, 10:17 AM
The gun changes from time to time but the method is always the same. Naked

janedoedad
September 15, 2009, 12:12 PM
Me: .380 holstered in top nightstand drawer. Mrs. JDD: Holstered revolver on top of nightstand.

reb27
September 15, 2009, 03:50 PM
Just keep a CZ-75, in DA mode, on my nightstand.

Guns and more
September 15, 2009, 04:58 PM
I have Two Pit Bulls and a alarm system. I keep my gun on top of my nightstand with no holster.
If I had two Pit Bulls, I'd keep a gun handy too.

Loanshark
September 15, 2009, 06:44 PM
If I had two Pit Bulls, I'd keep a gun handy too.

Not funny. These dogs and their owners hear stupid crap like this constantly.

1911 Operator
September 16, 2009, 12:15 AM
Not funny. These dogs and their owners hear stupid crap like this constantly.

for good reason too.

pit bulls are unpredictable and dangerous. :uhoh:

and don't give me that crap that's it's only because of how they're raised. they're simply an aggressive species.

that's why they're illegal in many cities. ;)

just listen to the news, when someone is mauled by a dog-nine times out of ten, it's a pit bull.

want a good guard dog? get a german shepherd. more powerfull bight pressure, and more intelligent than pit bulls! that's why police and military around the world use them! :D

Isher
September 18, 2009, 12:46 AM
I'd suggest you both back off.

All dogs are aggressive by nature.

After all, they are predators.

In my experience, the domestic dog reflects the

Owner's strengths/weaknesses, despite the breed.

Bigger point is this; this forum is about guns, not dogs.

There are a multitude of good dog forums out there........

isher

doc2rn
September 18, 2009, 01:55 AM
Naked on the night stand
shotgun against the headboard
Rifle behind the door

SniperStraz
September 18, 2009, 02:56 AM
I keep a pistol in an IWB holster by the bed. No time wasted getting it out as the holster has no retention strap. I see no reason to have the trigger exposed. I have a Surefire right next to it and a 12ga within reach.
If your found here at night you'll be found here in the morning!

matai
September 18, 2009, 03:20 AM
I'm thinking about bolting a holster to the back of my night stand, just some simple holster that would just hold it back there.

NMGonzo
September 18, 2009, 01:44 PM
Nightstand gun is my Redhawk .44

dogspit
September 18, 2009, 02:11 PM
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/dogdpit/JudgeGold.jpg

Sock it to me! Sock it to me!

Here comes the JUDGE!!

Dr_2_B
September 20, 2009, 11:16 PM
I do either. Not recommending that, but that's what I do. My real nightstand gun lives in a safe at the base of my nightstand. It's a G21. But at the moment, it just so happens there's a Kahr mk40 actually sitting on the night stand.

bob1st
September 21, 2009, 12:41 AM
1911 45ACP cond. 1 in a holster under the edge of my waterbed, just to hold me till I get to my loaded 12 ga. in a gun safe in my closet. Alarm sys. chihuahua, w/ German Shep/Chow mix for backup.

bigeye
September 21, 2009, 01:51 AM
https://shop.homesecuritystore.com/c-73-wireless-alarm-systems.aspx
Check this one out. The SC-100 wireless system is just under $100. and is absolutely excellent. I have installed three of these systems for friends (at cost with free labor) just to get them some protection. My sister was one of them. One went to TX, two to SD (my state). This is an easy to set up system and will save you ANY worry about someone getting into your house. Take a look and think about how the basic system could protect you. If not enough, the add ons are not expensive. Honestly, I did this while a uniformed officer and have had so many good comments from the people that got the system, I could go on out and sell them on a street corner. They are probably the best deal out there and you will sleep like a baby after putting it in. (Which takes an hour tops) Just read the instructions first. If you wonder what the panic button does, please have ear protection on first. The built in siren is a killer. Go to the site, see the reviews. THIS works. I have installed several hard wired systems, but would personally use this one if my home did not have a hard wired system already. Hope this gives you an alternative. You can even have it activated when you are home. Hope this helps. (my system is worth every penny - -) Anyone that does not have an alarm system should think about it.

keen one
September 23, 2009, 01:45 PM
S&W 4506, empty chamber. In the Nightstand above the top drawer suspended on the inside so it's accessable in the dark without being visable.

My thinking is this: The universal sound of "get out of my house" (action of chambering a round) is heard offering me the chance to see if a lethal encounter is impending, and no child will accidentally dischage.

mljdeckard
September 23, 2009, 02:11 PM
Shotgun doesn't fit on my nightstand.

eatont9999
September 24, 2009, 03:20 PM
Naked on the nightstand, but either comes with me or gets put away. I usually have the 1911 or the .38 out at night. Sometimes both.

Clarence
September 24, 2009, 11:11 PM
In the top drawer - sans holster

earplug
September 24, 2009, 11:43 PM
S&W 625's aren't naked, just exposed.

If you enjoyed reading about "Nightstand gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!