My Sniper Rifle is DONE!

PDA

eric.cartman
August 27, 2009, 01:13 PM
Finally I finished building this baby!
Tikka T3 Varmint in 308 Win.
Horus Vision Predator scope.

Can't wait to go shooting!

If you enjoyed reading about "My Sniper Rifle is DONE!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Smokey Joe
August 27, 2009, 01:24 PM
Eric Cartman--Looks really nice! We will, of course, be needing a range report when you come back from shooting this one! For which, thanks in advance.

Arkel23
August 27, 2009, 01:55 PM
Nice Gun. I know you can't wait to shoot!

hub
August 27, 2009, 02:05 PM
Nice rifle. Uh ohh lookout Scuzzlebutt!

kis2
August 27, 2009, 02:29 PM
not bad! let us know how it goes

sbarkowski
August 27, 2009, 03:03 PM
Nice rifle, what are you sniping with it?

average_shooter
August 27, 2009, 03:08 PM
Nice rifle, what are you sniping with it?

Manbearpig.

PandaBearBG
August 27, 2009, 06:33 PM
50% Man 50% Bear 50% Pig! hahahaha
http://tehresistance.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/manbearpig.jpg

possum
August 27, 2009, 07:13 PM
looks great, i can't wait to hear how it shoots for you.

jpwilly
August 28, 2009, 12:44 AM
No Kenny, that's my sniper rifle...(BANG)...who shot Kenny!

average_shooter
August 28, 2009, 01:39 AM
One of my favorites from last season (gun / current events related):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUTHktI8kJA

Full episode here: http://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/220764

JWF III
August 28, 2009, 04:29 PM
A .308 is going to do a lot of damage to a snipe. Don't you know you can catch them, at night, with a paper bag?:neener:

BTW, nice rifle you got there.

Wyman

HGUNHNTR
August 28, 2009, 04:59 PM
Tough crowd, jeez just let the guy enjoy his rifle. Not everyone has the $$$, and time to pour into their hobby that some folks do.

I remember my mom saying "if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all" I think that shoul apply to this thread.

;)

junkman_01
August 28, 2009, 05:04 PM
:neener:

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
August 28, 2009, 06:06 PM
"It's comin' right for us!!!!!"

Frankl03
August 28, 2009, 06:17 PM
Nice Rifle! Let us know how well it shoots.

I have a FNH PBR XP. I know it will shoot better than I can.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm256/Frankl03/HPIM0842.jpg?t=1251497679

pmbiker
August 28, 2009, 08:47 PM
Scr3w you guys, I'm going home.;)

Maverick223
August 28, 2009, 09:08 PM
Don't you know you can catch them, at night, with a paper bag?That's not true at all...you need salt to sprinkle on their tail first. :neener:

Rob96
August 29, 2009, 07:02 AM
Nice rifle. I am in the process of building a precision 308. Right now all I have is a Heavy weight stainless barrel from a remington 40-X that has very few rounds through it.

diggler1833
August 29, 2009, 09:58 AM
The Tikkas are reported to be good and accurate rifles. That being said putting a bipod and scope on a rifle does not a rifle builder make. Also, in these days of yellow journalism and the hatred of firearms by most of the media I prefer to call them "precision rifles". Your "sniper rifle" lacks a qualified "sniper" to drive it.

I hope that the rifle is accurate and works well for you, and that you have many fun days with it on the range. Good luck.

eric.cartman
August 29, 2009, 10:32 AM
Jesus you guys are a tough crowd!
Fine, I didn't "build" it. I put 5 peaces together: rifle + recoil pad + base + rings + scope. Whoo hooo! And yes, it is my sniper rifle. No I'm not a sniper. Still going to call it that. Screw the liberal media and what they think about it.

Scr3w you guys, I'm going shooting!!!

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
August 29, 2009, 10:54 AM
I put 5 peaces together: rifle + recoil pad + base + rings + scope.

I'd call that a "build" - of sorts. :)

Scr3w you guys, I'm going shooting!!!

Hee hee, well played Mr. Cartman.

JoelSteinbach
August 29, 2009, 11:03 AM
I think we all dream of being snipers, I personally enjoy sniping at paper at long distances, I do build my own rifles by writing a check to my gunsmith

lobo9er
August 29, 2009, 11:03 AM
Tough crowd
few gun snobs around these parts
nice rifle! can't wait to see how it shoots and hear what kinda ammo you feed it.

Bruno2
August 29, 2009, 12:03 PM
I would call that a build . I dont even put my own rings base or scope on em .
I bet the guys talking smack arent sitting in their machine shops turning barrels down and building custom stocks . I like the Tikkas it should be a well built gun . I have a Howa heavy barrel in .223 that is a stock rifle with a simmons scope on it and it will shoot 1/2 moa in my hands . I think if it had a better optic it would even do better than that . When you get bored with that why dont you build a .223 . I like the round and its very cheap to shoot .
Have fun with the new toy .

P.S. Its coming right for you !!!

junkman_01
August 29, 2009, 12:05 PM
I think we all dream of being snipers, I personally enjoy sniping at paper at long distances, I do build my own rifles by writing a check to my gunsmith
What you do is COMMISSION a rifle to be built.

eric.cartman
August 29, 2009, 12:18 PM
lobo9er,
I shot the rifle before, but with a Nikon Buckmaster BDC scope. I didn't like the scope so I sold it over 6 months ago, and finally got enough extra cash to buy the Horus Scope.

Anyways, I shot Federal Gold Medal Ammo. 168gr Sierra BTHP and then later 175gr. Both shot great, but given the better "longer" range performance of 175gr I decided to stick to that load.
With the crappy BDC scope, I managed to shoot 5 shot group of 0.417 inch at 100 yards. <borat>VERY NICE</borat>
SO the rifle is more than capable of 1/2 MOA or better. Now with the new glass, I'm hopping to be putting bullets through the same hole :-)

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys! I'm an amateur gun smith and I enjoy putting my parts together. Even if I screw up :-)

husker
August 29, 2009, 12:28 PM
May be J-M01 should turn off his net service & put the $$ in a piggy bank. then he to could go buy a gun some day.

LeonCarr
August 29, 2009, 02:12 PM
In all honestly that T3 will outshoot alot of the "snob" rifles right out of the box.

A guy asked me one time what the difference was between a 1 MOA rifle and a 1/2 MOA rifle. I said about 2500 bucks :).

Enjoy your rifle, and good luck with your TV show :).

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

eric.cartman
August 29, 2009, 04:48 PM
LeonCarr,
Tikka was $700. They guarantee at least 1MOA out of the box. The rifle consistently shot better. I'm hoping for sub 1/2 MOA with the new scope (using factory loads, the best there are, but still factory loads).

lobo9er
August 29, 2009, 06:23 PM
sounds like you got things up and running nicely!

lobo9er
August 29, 2009, 06:34 PM
just checked out the horusvision website, nice stuff. 1st time i heard the name, they have a nice line up of products.

Maverick223
August 29, 2009, 06:59 PM
1st time i heard the name, they have a nice line up of products.I was very much aware of Horus, but didn't realize that they had line of scopes. Their reticles are top of the line. Do you have any other "mid to high-end" glass to compare it to? If so I am eager to hear how it compares to optics like a Leupy Mk. IV, Zeiss, Swaro, Super Sniper, et cetera. The Hawk looks like a very nice scope for the money, especially considering it is Mil/Mil FFP. :)

eric.cartman
August 29, 2009, 10:20 PM
Maverick223,
I can't honestly say about the quality of the glass in Horus Vision besides the fact that to me it looks GOOD. This is the 2nd scope I've ever had (I'm on my 3rd now, Horus and cheapo rusian 4x for my Saiga 5.45, my first was Nikon Buckmaster 18x BDC) so I have no idea what a GOOD scope is. All I know is that I paid $800 for it and I like it :-)
Now having significant background in math, computer science (I program super computers / clusters for a living) and having 15+ years experience in 3D computer graphics, I found the FFP concept extremely appealing. Plus the scope is SMOA/SMOA. The reticle has "clicks" that are 1 SMOA at 100yrds and the turrets are 1/4 SMOA per click... making it very intuitive to me, although being from Poland, I would much rather prefer centimeters and meters ;)

eric.cartman
August 29, 2009, 10:22 PM
BTW, the scope itself is actually manufactured by HAKKO / Japan Optics Ltd., made in Japan. Supposedly Japanese glass is good. I wouldn't honestly know. It's one of those things... I didn't know anything about bolt action rifles also, but for some reason that I don't even remember, over 2 years ago I somehow fell in love with Tikka's, so I HAD TO HAVE a Tikka. Then I think my friend showed me Horus website ( www.horusvision.com ) and I HAD to HAVE a horus :)

I'm so easily persuaded :D

Maverick223
August 29, 2009, 11:18 PM
I would much rather prefer centimeters and metersIIRC some of their other scopes had Mil/Mil which should be more to your liking, either way the reticle and adjustments are the same meaning there is no conversion necessary between what you see and what you need to do to make the correction. That is a big plus as far as I am concerned. I will have to do a bit more research, but I may have to invest in one of the Horus scopes...heck many other manufacturers charge $250.00 or so just to use one of their reticles...and they are FFP, which is great for using the reticle as it was designed. :)

45ACPUSER
August 29, 2009, 11:27 PM
Wow....peaces
not sure how ☮
makes a rifle?

sarduy
August 29, 2009, 11:47 PM
50% Man 50% Bear 50% Pig! hahahaha
http://tehresistance.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/manbearpig.jpg

that looks like "el chupa cabra" or the goat sucker. lol

9x19sig
August 30, 2009, 01:24 AM
Give him some credit. He must have good taste if he went with Tikka.

Sunray
August 30, 2009, 01:29 AM
"...5 peaces..." 5 what?
Scoping a bolt action rifle doesn't make it a sniper's rifle. Makes it a hunting rifle. You glass bed it too?

Bruno2
August 30, 2009, 01:38 AM
This one is for nick and his range buddies .

Remington makes a 700 pss (police sniper special ) . So if that is the gun you are wanting to buy then correct your range buddy and tell him " no this is a sniper rifle . :D

Nick5182
August 30, 2009, 01:41 AM
lol, sounds good to me Bruno

RDA 226sig
August 30, 2009, 01:45 PM
It is purpose, resolve, skill and patience that make a sniper not a piece of specialized equipment. If he can get everything he needs out of that Tika then it is his sniper rifle. It is much better than some of the rifles used by snipers in Vietnam and miles ahead of the one used in the great war and certainly better than the ones used in our revolutionary war.

Shoot it and enjoy it.

Pony Express
August 30, 2009, 02:13 PM
Nice setup Eric, and happy shooting!

JDGray
August 30, 2009, 02:14 PM
Wow!! Lots of anal expert terminologist here! You almost need to be an English Teacher, and proficiant at all terminology, to post a thread among other so called "Gun Enthusiast"! Give the guy a break, or go correct someone else, some place else! Let the guy enjoy his rifle, already:cool::neener:

Geno
August 30, 2009, 02:21 PM
Well-said, JD!

The man has a nice set-up, and he wants to share it. Then people bust his backside over terminology?! That's not right.

Geno

mljdeckard
August 30, 2009, 02:30 PM
I think the sceptics should leave the man alone until he shoots it to see the results. I spent time on the range this summer with Marine scout snipers and 19th Group snipers, and they agree with me that their rifles don't do anything that you can't do with a stock Remington VS, a decent scope, and some good ammo. Let him get a few boxes of Gold Match, dial it in, and see what happens.

And while I am sure that guys with $500 shooting skills who buy $2000 rifles that they don't have the skills to justify keep dealers in business, we all have to start somewhere. I would rather get gear that I know can outshoot me than get inferior gear and wonder if it's me or the gun that can't shoot straight.

Maverick223
August 30, 2009, 02:56 PM
I would rather get gear that I know can outshoot me than get inferior gear and wonder if it's me or the gun that can't shoot straight.Well said...it is not worth the expense of cheap gear...you will end up wasting thousands of dollars of good ammo shooting a rifle that you saved $100.00 on. :)

PT1911
August 30, 2009, 02:58 PM
or wasting thousands of dollars on ammo and rifle because you went cheap on the scope.

Maverick223
August 30, 2009, 03:02 PM
or wasting thousands of dollars on ammo and rifle because you went cheap on the scope.That's really what I mean...most half-way decent "hunting class" rifles will maintain at least 1MOA...the optics are where you will really see the difference...and surprisingly what most people will end up skimping on. :banghead:

PT1911
August 30, 2009, 03:07 PM
I see it regularly....typically on the trade in. Guys trading a Remington 700 heavy barrel in .308 with leupold rings and mounts and a $50.00 tasco mounted off center.

friend shot the same rifle a week or so ago.... .177 inch group at 100 yards. of course it is wearing a bushnell 4200 now and has had a couple other things tweaked, but damn....

MIL-DOT
August 30, 2009, 07:14 PM
(QUOTE) "Remington makes a 700 pss (police sniper special)"

Bruno,since we're nit-picking on terminology,PSS actualy stands for "Police Sharp Shooter". Or at least mine did when I bought it.:D
http://www.snipercountry.com/InReviews/Remington700PSS.asp

Gunnerpalace
August 30, 2009, 07:31 PM
I think it is a nice looking set up, don't let the peanut gallery get you down.

taliv
August 30, 2009, 08:37 PM
any further insults or discussion of the definition of the term 'sniper' will result in bans.

edit: nice rifle, btw

Maximum1
August 30, 2009, 08:43 PM
Nice Rifle...And nice scope too... Just wish I had $840.00 to buy that scope :eek:

Bruno2
August 30, 2009, 08:56 PM
Mil Dot when did you buy your gun ? This was at least 20 yrs ago when I recall this , but , S&W used to have a pistol called a pocketlite. They changed the name to airweight b/c that made it sound like you should carry it around your pocket :evil:

I like the Tikka nevermind what the others are saying and being negative . That is one nice scope I think I will look into one of those for 25-06 that I will purchasing in the near future . Did you get some trigger time today? I want to see some groups on paper with that bad boy ;)

Are you handloading ? if so tell us about your trial and erreor loads .

Bones11b
August 30, 2009, 10:05 PM
Impressive setup, nice work.

AKElroy
August 30, 2009, 11:13 PM
any further insults or discussion of the definition of the term 'sniper' will result in bans.

Taliv--I was not attmpting to flame the OP; my post, now deleted, was supporting Eric, albeit in a very sarcastic, Clark Grisswald way. No offence intended, Eric; Only vapid humor directed at the guys slamming you.

Post range pics, dude--

eric.cartman
August 31, 2009, 07:55 AM
Range pics coming on Wednesday!

Stay tuned...

eric.cartman
September 6, 2009, 01:52 PM
OK, I finally had a chance to shoot the new set up today.

Attached are pictures of my groups. Best one first. All shot at 100 yards from sitting position, rifle rested on sand bags and pressed against my shoulder.

Funny thing I noticed, and tell me if that's normal... it seams like my rings moved forward taking the scope with it. I have Burris Extreme Tactical rings on it or something like that. The cross screw holding the ring has a cut that's supposed to stop on the base's rail kinna thingie. Well I mounted it wrong I guess and the rings shifted forward until the cross screw stopped against the scope base. DO I NEED TO REMOUNT THE RINGS AND BASE? Or can it stay that way?

http://home.comcast.net/~mvorbrodt/Best.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~mvorbrodt/Group1.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~mvorbrodt/Group2.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~mvorbrodt/Group3.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~mvorbrodt/Group4.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~mvorbrodt/Group5.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~mvorbrodt/Group6.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~mvorbrodt/Group7.JPG

lobo9er
September 6, 2009, 02:01 PM
good shooting, looks like your rifle is a success!

Maverick223
September 6, 2009, 02:19 PM
Nice groups, while I don't really follow your question, the rings cross-bolt definitely need to be positioned over a corresponding notch in the base. I really didn't think that it was possible to put rings atop (rather than in the notch) the picatinny rail without it seating, but being weaver rings (which are slightly smaller) it may be possible. The best option is to purchase actual picatinny rings rather than the weaver ones, but you should be fine either way...with groups like that it doesn't appear to be a big problem. :)

Geno
September 6, 2009, 02:24 PM
I mount all of my bases and rings with epoxy, and use red LocTite in the screws. Needless to say, I get zero movement.

Nice groups.

kis2
September 6, 2009, 02:46 PM
...i've been waiting for this post...

if its not moving anymore and you cant get it to move anymore, i wouldnt worry about it if you can shoot groups like that. if its got any kind of wiggle left in it, remount it so you dont end up chasing zero all over.

but again, nice groups! what kind of ammo?

eric.cartman
September 6, 2009, 03:29 PM
kis2,
Federal Gold Medal 175gr Sierra BTHP. My rifle seams to like it a lot. 168gr of the same brand shot just fine as well.
I tried GameKing from walmart as well, 150gr Federal soft point load. Not bad results. Not bad at all.
And it did seam for a while there like I was chasing zero... I would shoot an inch high, so I would click 4 down, and then I would end up 1" too low... and I was like wth??? Do I suck that much or what?!?!?! Now I see it might have been the rings sliding along the base. I'll reattach them after getting rid of this weird grease that was on them. Hopefuly this time my blue locktight will hold :-) and of course I'll slide them forward until they stop on the rail.

kis2
September 6, 2009, 04:16 PM
awesome. i've had some buds that mounted their own scopes and spend more money on ammo trying to sight it in than if they wouldve paid a smith 30 bucks to mount it professionally. but if you know what to do its no big deal.

i'ma have to get my hands on some of the federal match stuff. best stuff i've run through my 700 is prvi partizan match and one out of every five gives me a flyer that is about 1/4" off the rest of the group. the other rounds of the group all touch, but that one flyer just kills me. need to get off the bipod and onto a sand bag too.

i'll have to pony up for the federal so i can take some pics like yours :D

taliv
September 6, 2009, 05:01 PM
nice groups!

eric.cartman
September 6, 2009, 08:11 PM
More info on sliding scope rings...

Here's my base. Notice how it's rounded tops, not flat rail:

http://home.comcast.net/~mvorbrodt/Base.JPG

And here's the ring. Notice the scratches on it where it rubbed against the base. Also, NOTICE the cross screw that holds the ring secured to the base. NOTICE the 90 degree cut into it. That flat face of the holding pin/screw is supposed to touch the rail on the base so that the base "pushes" back on it under recoil. Well it didn't touch. So under recoil it moved forward until the two vertical surfaces met, while scratching the ring bottom. I took it off, cleaned the old lock tight off. Will install back soon.

http://home.comcast.net/~mvorbrodt/Ring.JPG

BTW, do you guys think I'm doing good shooting? I know I can do better, and so can the rifle. I was inpatient, and I let it over heat. I just wanted to blast away. Plus I played with the scope dials while shooting a given group. BAD IDEA. Anyways, I'll reinstall the rings and scope, and most likely take it back to the range this week. Stay tuned for another report :D

kis2
September 6, 2009, 08:18 PM
i agree with your diagnosis of the problem.

as far as shooting goes your doing good off a bag. anything moa and less is kind of the going standard, so if your groups are submoa at 100 yds, youre in good shape and should start thinking about pushing out the distance a little more to where there are some more variables. don't get all hung up on it though, have fun with the new gun.

enjoy it!

Maverick223
September 6, 2009, 08:38 PM
It will likely make no noticeable difference, but since you have the rings off it would be best to move the front ring back a little (1-2 notches) to put it over the receiver (not the cantilevered portion of the base) as that is the strongest part of the base. :)

eric.cartman
September 6, 2009, 09:29 PM
Maverick223,
Look at my original pics (post #1). I'm afraid moving it back will put the ring too close to the center "box" of the scope. Plus the rifle is 308, so I don't think I need to worry about base snapping under recoil do I???

Maverick223
September 6, 2009, 10:25 PM
I'm afraid moving it back will put the ring too close to the center "box" of the scope. Plus the rifle is 308, so I don't think I need to worry about base snapping under recoil do I?I wouldn't worry about that as much as flex in the base, but I don't believe that you have a hope in snapping that base...or even the screws that hold it to the receiver (the weakest connection). Like I say it will likely make no discernible difference, but since you have it off I don't think it will hurt anything. YMMV, Mav. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "My Sniper Rifle is DONE!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!