What's the difference between a Marlin 60 and Marlin 795?

PDA

TheBill
August 27, 2009, 04:41 PM
What's the difference between a Marlin 60 and Marlin 795?

The model 60 is a couple bucks more, but that seems to be it?

ANy info is appreciated

If you enjoyed reading about "What's the difference between a Marlin 60 and Marlin 795?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ArmedBear
August 27, 2009, 04:48 PM
60 has a tubular magazine under the barrel and a 19" barrel.
http://marlinfirearms.com/Images/photo_60.jpg

795 has a detachable box magazine under the receiver and an 18" barrel.
http://marlinfirearms.com/Images/photo_795.jpg

Most parts are otherwise the same. The 60 is available in more variations.

The 70 is the Papoose, essentially a stainless takedown version of the 795 with a 16.25" barrel.
http://marlinfirearms.com/Images/img_selfloading_model70PSS_70pss_Case.gif

TheBill
August 27, 2009, 05:07 PM
Are there any opinions on advantages/disadvantages to the tubular over the magazine style? or vice versa?

Also, would the stainless Model 60 be worth $60 more than a blue Model 60?

ArmedBear
August 27, 2009, 05:11 PM
The stainless gun comes with nicer sights, which only matters if you don't scope the gun. I've never used the irons on my 60; it's a very accurate gun for what it is, and I bought it to scope it.

I like stainless because it is much harder to rust, and doesn't succumb to minor scratches. But I own mostly blue long guns, so I must not care THAT much.:)

I'd be willing to spend $60 more if I planned to use it in the rain, or sweat on it, or use it in the field a lot.

I like the tubular magazine. I find it more pleasant to load.

OTOH in Idaho I can carry the thing loaded in the car. If I hunted where I had to unload every time I changed locations a half mile, I'd consider the detachable mag.

Max C.
August 27, 2009, 05:19 PM
I've shot the 795 and it's a nice gun. I prefer detachable mags out of convenience.

LoneStarWings
August 27, 2009, 05:19 PM
The box magazines allow you to reload about 20x faster assuming you loaded the mags ahead of time. That's a pretty big advantage if ever do any kind of practical shooting classes with it. For hunting/plinking it really does not matter.

TheBill
August 27, 2009, 07:54 PM
Great Info.

Thanks

gondorian
August 27, 2009, 08:55 PM
I have a 795 and I like it. It shoots nicely but the iron sights are not very good. I would scope it if I were you. Also you must have the magazine inserted in order to fire, and the magazines are kinda expensive.

SGW42
August 27, 2009, 09:07 PM
I enjoy my 795SS quite a bit. I went for it because detachable mags are easier for me to load from my local range's shooting benches (I got like 10 of them). If it went into the field more often I'd have gotten a 60SS.

I thought the sights would suck, I started looking at different options before I even had the rifle. But once I put them on target I found I was quite accurate with them. So they stay.

Lightweight, easy to break down and clean, accurate. Love it.

LoneStarWings
August 27, 2009, 09:07 PM
The box magazines are 20x slower considering they have to be loaded ahead of time. I own a box mag .22 and I own two tube fed Model 60's. Trust me on this. The tubes feed way faster than a detachable mag. It's not even close. Plus you don't have to worry about losing your magazine with a tube fed.

I seriously doubt that it takes me longer than 15 seconds to load a 795 magazine with 10 rounds. I have shot both the 60 and the 795 and have to say I much prefer the 795. I feel that the rifle balances slightly better without a mag tube filled with ammo running the length of the barrel. I never really was fond of putting my hand in front of the muzzle to remove that plunger either. If you're hunting in the field just take 3 or 4 extra loaded magazines and you don't need to carry the box of ammo anymore.

For sights, go with the tech sights, unless you're gonna scope it. They are a bit pricey at 60 bucks, but worth it.

gondorian
August 27, 2009, 09:11 PM
Ditto, the 795 balances very nicely, and shoulders well too. It is also VERY light, especially when I pick it up after holding a Garand :)

Runningman
August 27, 2009, 09:22 PM
Own a Marlin 795 and a Model 60. For just plinking I like the Model 60.

For hunting I prefer the 795 and 10/22 it is much more handy in states like mine. Where you cannot have a loaded rifle in a vehicle during hunting season. They do stop and check you, out in the woods around here.

When you change locations frequently the magazine feed Marlin Model 795 and Ruger 10/22 work out much better in this type of situation. Just have pop the magazine in and out.

As an added bonus my model 795 SS is more accurate than my model 60.

Dwrice
August 27, 2009, 10:45 PM
Once you get the 795 dialed in it shoots very tight groups. I recently bought it to use with my son. I was very disappointed with the sights, they are very clunky. I did find an cheap fix, I got a $9 red dot (said for use on air rifles and .22's) from Wal-Mart and after figuring out how much to turn the adjusting screws it is dead on.

moewadle
August 27, 2009, 11:53 PM
and think you should also. I have Tech-Sights on both of mine but with two you can scope one and put Tech-Sights on the other and then exchange between the two as you wish.

Speedo66
August 27, 2009, 11:54 PM
Aside from the magazine type, are the models 60 and 70 the same basic action? Take down for cleaning about the same?

Runningman
August 28, 2009, 12:12 AM
Aside from the magazine type, are the models 60 and 70 the same basic action? Take down for cleaning about the same? Yes they are basically the same action. Just some minor part changes having to do with feeding type. Take down for cleaning is the same.

rangerruck
August 28, 2009, 01:06 AM
the marlin semi auto's have all used the same action/reciever, since the 99 came out, back in 59. the only diffs have been those in 22 mag semi.
I agree with all the remarks here; I love the lightness and handyness of the 795, the papoose is the absolute bee's knees(what does that mean anyway), and the coolest, and most accurate and reliable take down, that has ever been made, but if you can find a old used marlin mod 60, made between 85 and 88, you will have the absolute best. Why? becuase it has a 22 inch bbl, and full length feed tube, that could hold 18 rounds, and they also had the last shot bolt hold open. These 3 years were the only years, all 3 of the above features can be had.

SGW42
August 28, 2009, 01:31 AM
I had problems loading the tiny 795 magazines when I first started with them, until I figured out how to do them easily. I push the stacked rounds down in the mag with another cartridge perpendicular (so the head is flat on the top round's case). Then I just push it down a little bit until I can slip the rim under the lips, then I can just pivot it down and into the mag.

CYANIDEGENOCIDE
August 28, 2009, 07:55 AM
Another vote for the 795 the magazines are super easy to load and the gun s really accurate. I prefer to load 6 or 7 magazines then I can shoot until a cease fire is called.

middy
August 28, 2009, 12:15 PM
I prefer the tube mag, because it's always there...

Definitely get the Tech sights, they are much better than standard irons.

CoRoMo
August 28, 2009, 01:40 PM
Are there any higher capacity magazines for the 795 available?

22-rimfire
August 28, 2009, 05:48 PM
I much prefer the tubular magazine. You don't have to worry about loosing your magazines and they last. You can make speed loaders for a tube magazine, but it is not something that I worry about. Aluminum arrows work for this if it matters.

CoRoMo
August 28, 2009, 06:24 PM
I like the idea of the d-magazine, but without nifty aftermarket options like 20rd, 30rd, 100rd mags, there's little point. I'd then prefer the tube because of the many reasons given here. It'll hold 14 rounds anyway.

22-rimfire
August 28, 2009, 08:40 PM
15+1; darn, that sounds like a high capacity magazine we heard so much about during the Clinton years. :D

LoneStarWings
August 28, 2009, 08:45 PM
The main reason I got the 795 instead of the 60 is that I use the rifle during appleseed marksmanship clinics, with many timed stages requiring reloads (usually fire 2, reload, fire 8, in 50 seconds). Having to reload using a tube vs. a prepared magazine would be a pretty devestating handicap. So, if you don't do things like that, it probably doesn't matter, but if you do, then the box mags are a must.

middy
August 28, 2009, 10:09 PM
Get both, they're cheap. :)

Runningman
August 28, 2009, 10:53 PM
Get both, they're cheap.+1 That is what I have done. The Model 60s and Model 795 are one of the better 22 rifle values out there right now these days. I surprised Marlin has been able to keep the price down as low as they have.

If you enjoyed reading about "What's the difference between a Marlin 60 and Marlin 795?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!