Opinions on German Reticle #4 for hunting?

PDA

Balrog
August 27, 2009, 09:32 PM
I looked through a Nikon 1-4x scope today with German Reticle #4 in it... and liked what I saw. This was the first time I have looked through a scope with that reticle. What are opinions regarding its suitability for general hunting purposes?

If you enjoyed reading about "Opinions on German Reticle #4 for hunting?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Uncle Mike
August 27, 2009, 10:04 PM
Was it a 3P#4 or a 3P#1 Reticle...the 3P#1 is the classic German post and crosshair you see depicted in a lot of the WW2 movies.

As for the 3P#1...I love it, I have one in a Burris Black Diamond 3-12X50 I use for eastern whitetail sniping.
You can pick this reticle up in heavy brush easily... The Trijicon Accupoint has a modified 3P#1 that utilizes a 'lit' triangle atop two thin vertical posts.

While this reticle will draw unfavorable fire from the ultra accurate sniper wanabe crowd, it does lend itself to fast acquisition and is a excellent conversation piece.lol hehehe

jbkebert
August 27, 2009, 10:14 PM
I totally agree with Uncle Mike. For quick target acquisition they are great and for deer hunting they are great. I am not a sniper wannabe but for prarie dogs I'll take the finest plex reticle I can find.

Uncle Mike
August 27, 2009, 10:50 PM
Me too...I like the fine crosshair for pasture poodles and such...

At the ranges I end up shooting whitetails at....I could use a dig dot dot sight and still get it done...lol hehehe

dubbleA
August 27, 2009, 11:17 PM
I have a couple of Swarovski PH's, a Zeiss Diavari that are FFP's with the #4's, great close quarter opics, fast target acquisition also an older Leupold 6.5x20 that I sent in for a #4. They certainly have a place in my collection.:)

rangerruck
August 28, 2009, 12:02 AM
you can even find an old Weaver or two on ebay, with this crosshair, I have one, and man, if something is running on me, it can't outrun that pyramid post; I just lead them a little bit, and wham!!!! lights out. they are fast , fast , fast on target.

If you enjoyed reading about "Opinions on German Reticle #4 for hunting?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!