Rock River National Match A2 - The Real Deal

PDA

billmartin727
August 28, 2009, 12:32 PM
Last week my buddy went to Camp Perry for the annual matches. I told him if RR was there to check out the NM rifle. He is a High Master in many rifles. He calls me and tells me that this rifle is a winner. I asked the price. $850. That was $200 less than anywhere in the country that I could find and no transfer fees. Yesterday I shot it. 69 grain Lake City from Georgia Arms. After 10 shots of sighting I moved to a clean target and took 10 more shots. 100 yards with iron sights off the bench. Here were the results. I can't wait till I can shoot sub MOA and then move to positions. http://i30.tinypic.com/2yluqs0.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Rock River National Match A2 - The Real Deal" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
browningguy
August 28, 2009, 01:24 PM
Very nice, I use a RRA 2 stage trigger in one of my AR's.

skidooman603
August 28, 2009, 01:54 PM
Own one myself. Heard they had great prices at Perry. Absolute TACK DRIVERS!

Mikee Loxxer
August 28, 2009, 02:13 PM
I am considering one of these for a match rifle but am concerned about barrel life. I keep hearing about serious match shooters replacing barrels every year. Would owning a rifle like this and keeping it accurate require a lot of maintenance?

RainDodger
August 28, 2009, 02:21 PM
That's a group from 100 yards with iron sights?

I'm old. I can barely see the target at 100 yards. I figure anything close to center mass on a man-sized target is in the ballgame.

TexasRifleman
August 28, 2009, 02:33 PM
I keep hearing about serious match shooters replacing barrels every year.

Well, "serious" match shooters are going to spend thousands of dollars on ammo for practice each year.

The cost of a barrel won't even be noticed.

Howard Roark
August 28, 2009, 03:43 PM
The barrel on that rifle is a Wilson. It will last for about 3000 rounds. I usually get about two years of shooting on a barrel before I replace it.

White Oak sells the same barrel for $205 so it is a cheap expendable. At that price I don't bother to turn and chamber my own service rifle barrels.

dfariswheel
August 28, 2009, 08:08 PM
My buddy is a National Match shooter who made the President's 100 some years back.

He's getting back into shooting the course and bought two Rock River rifles, including a NM after researching the choices in makers.
He's using the 69 grain Sierra at the longer ranges, and the 52 grain at 100.

He's had the rifles fitted with better double stage triggers to replace the RR version, had the rear sight pinned and reworked and had some other Match conditioning done.

With the scoped model, he's getting about 1/2" groups at 100 yards.
He's just blown away by how much more accurate the AR's are than his NM M1A's.

billmartin727
August 28, 2009, 08:28 PM
Another nice benfit of this purchase is that my 6 month old M1a can get some rest as well as my brain sloshing around in my skull after shooting it. I never dreamed that a .223 had as much recoil as my .22. What a pair. Look, fireside chat.http://i32.tinypic.com/oiab01.jpg

skidooman603
August 29, 2009, 04:06 AM
As far as replacing barrel, as mentioned, min of 3000 rounds. But if you are going to shoot 200 yds or less you could stretch that out. Yes serious shooters will rotate two uppers. Use their more worn upper for practice and reduced course stuff and newer upper for the 300-600 yd work. They are a blast to shoot and sooooo accurate these days. As much as I love steel and walnut, they are the future. :D

SwampWolf
August 29, 2009, 05:06 PM
He's had the rifles fitted with better double stage triggers to replace the RR version

He must be pretty picky! I compete in the Service Rifle matches and have been completely satisfied with the RR National Match unit. Interestingly, while shooting at Perry last year, I took an informal inventory of who were using which trigger and more serious shooters than you might think were happy with the stock RR NM trigger.

I would concede (without knowing for sure) that there are probably better triggers than the RR unit out there-I'm just not certain that I'm good enough to benefit from their purported advantage(s), whatever they are.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rock River National Match A2 - The Real Deal" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!