JROTC rifle

PDA

Lightsped
August 28, 2009, 04:43 PM
I am trying to remember what the rifle was that we fired in JROTC. I remember we learned how to break them down, and how to clean them. Next we learned how to shoot. It was a .22lr with a wooden stock. I can't recall if it was a bolt or semiauto. It was a fairly large rifle so it wasn't a 10-22, Model 60, etc.... I do know these were old guns, so it wasn't anything modern at all....

Anyone here take JROTC in highschool? If so, what did you guys shoot?

If you enjoyed reading about "JROTC rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tim the student
August 28, 2009, 04:53 PM
Best of luck to you, but I would guess JRTC would use whatever they could get cheaply.

If it was old, I would certainly guess it was a bolt gun.

Do you have a time frame for other people? Ex: 50's, 60's... (When did JRTC even begin actually?)

Maybe a location might help too.

I would think it might be an old surplus bolt gun, like this Mossy M44.

http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv344/timthestudent/IMG_0032-1.jpg?t=1251492677

MovedWest
August 28, 2009, 04:56 PM
I know we had Harrington Richardson bolt action rifles in JROTC. Some of the more well-to-do schools had Anschutz rifles, but we were pretty poor. We still outshot the guys with the Anschutz's though. :D

-MW

Lightsped
August 28, 2009, 05:02 PM
Location was Hanna High school in Brownsville Texas. The school district was poor, but we still had an actual rifle range and rifle team. I am fairly sure it was a bolt action. We had the rifles through the 1990s, but they were quite old. I am pretty sure it was a surplus rifle of some sort. Hanna High school may still be using them, but I don't know for sure....

HB
August 28, 2009, 05:05 PM
Anymore I believe it is strictly air rifle

Tim the student
August 28, 2009, 05:12 PM
Location was Hanna High school in Brownsville Texas

Have you tried to contact the school? Maybe they still have those rifles, or faculty is still around that might remember.

ECVMatt
August 28, 2009, 05:18 PM
and Mossbergs and Remingtons for shooting.

I went to Mira Costa HS in Manhattan Beach. It was pretty fun to see all the teachers looks when we pulled out the M-14's. I was the first class, so they were not used to seeing that stuff paraded around campus..

Bwana John
August 28, 2009, 05:21 PM
In high school NJROTC I had a Remington 40X .22 target rifle issued to me, I took it home after matches. It was actually issued thru the Police Junior Rifle Club, not the NJROTC if I remember correctly.

There were a couple of other types of military trainer .22s but the 40X was "The Queen"

We also shot M-14s in Service Rifle Matches.

We had M1903A3's for drill team. (drill team was gay, rifle team ruled)

Offfhand
August 30, 2009, 09:23 AM
It's very likely the rifles used by your high school team were the Springfield M2. They were similiar to the Springfield '03 and used as a training rifle. They were issued to many schools for ROTC marksmanship training and rifle teams and used for decades, that's why most of them you see now are well worn. Several years ago they were sold by the DCM for about $20.00, and now a good one sells for over $1000. if you can find one. Even the magazine clips now sell for over $50. I have a nice M2 in my collection and can send pics if anyone is interested in what they look like.
Shoot well, safely, and often...
Offfhand

Tim the student
August 30, 2009, 09:28 AM
Man, now I want an M2. Thanks Offhand:cuss:

SpotlightRanger
August 30, 2009, 11:52 AM
Go to the CMP website. They sell JROTC weapons.

krs
August 30, 2009, 01:00 PM
Springfield M2 - ......Feh.

I have a Nylon 66 that's more accurate than this Sprinfield rifle, and there's nothing wrong with the M2.

I do like the feel of the rifle - the dropped comb, the overall weight and handling of the rifle makes it a favorite, but it doesn't shoot all that well.

I sold a Rem 40x with USMC markings last year because it had started to rust in storage. It was a shame really, and caused a revamp of my long term storage of rifles. Still, I got over $1200. for it in AA.

Tim the student said: "Man, now I want an M2"
Send me $1550. and it's yours. :) (like....'put up or shutup')

Tim the student
August 30, 2009, 02:22 PM
Send me $1550. and it's yours. (like....'put up or shutup')

Care if I post date a check by a few years?

Deltaboy
August 30, 2009, 04:19 PM
My college unit had Remington 5-teen single shots with bull barrells.

Lightsped
September 3, 2009, 01:12 PM
Yeah, after seeing the M2, maybe that was it. Did they all have the same rear sight setup?

My JROTC teachers/instructors have retired and no longer are at my highschool. I also have a gut feeling that the Rifle Team program is no longer around.....

Side note: Each JROTC student used to get a ride in a Huey once a year. The Hueys came from an Army Reserve Base located a few hours away and landed in the front yard of the highschool. I never see the Hueys at the highschool or flying around town anymore.

If you enjoyed reading about "JROTC rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!