Nikon scope durability

PDA

Tim the student
August 28, 2009, 05:46 PM
Ok, so I think I found the scope I want to buy - a Nikon team Primos for $179.

Its so cheap because its refurbished. Because of that - it has a 90 day warranty, as opposed to the lifetime warranty that most (all?) of their other optics come with.

I have a Buckmaster that I like quite a bit, and I haven't had any problems with it. So, my questions to you guys (and ladies, if appropriate) are
a) if you have ever had a Nikon fail? If so, how did the repair process go - timely, did they live up to the warranty, if it was out of warranty, fair charges etc etc.
b) if you think this is a good buy? I do, but the warranty makes me just a bit leery.

I've bought other refurbished stuff, and it's all worked fine, so I would think this would as well, especially since its Nikon.

Lastly, the site I saw it on was http://www.samplelist.com/default.aspx?prod_type=1&hide_sold=False. Has anyone ever had a bad experience with them? I understand them to be a reputable company that is well respected. If you don't, I'd like to know why.

And definitely thanks to Freonr22, who posted that site on a different thread.

If you enjoyed reading about "Nikon scope durability" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GodGuns&Guitars
August 28, 2009, 05:55 PM
I have a Nikon ProStaff on my 300 Weatherby mag and I have had 0 issues with it so far. Works fine so I can not discuss warranty info. I think it's been on the rifle over three years and stands up to the recoil of the 300. I know Nikon is probably not top of the line, but you have to understand one thing about them. They have been in the optics business a lot of years making camera lenses. Do I think their scopes are top of the line, nahhh, but they are fairly decent.

Runningman
August 28, 2009, 06:19 PM
The 90 day warranty would throw up a big red flag in my book. That is not a very long time frame when dealing with scopes. I could understand them limiting warranty on refurbished scope but 90 days?

rcmodel
August 28, 2009, 06:21 PM
Refurbished means it already broke once, has been apart, and put back together.

And they are confident enough they fixed it good to stand behind it for only 90 days now.

IMO: A lifetime warrenty is nothing to be sneezed at to save a few bucks on a crap-shoot.

Doesn't take long to burn up the savings on ammo at todays prices if it goes belly up on you again.

rc

dougwx12
August 28, 2009, 06:41 PM
I have two of those scopes; one new, one refurb. Can't tell the difference. samplelist is SWFA.com; good guys to do business with.

Refurbs tend to have a LOWER return rate than new, just because a second set of usually more skilled hands has had a look at it. That's true in the tech world, anyway.

I'd buy it in a heartbeat. In fact, I did.

SwampWolf
August 28, 2009, 06:54 PM
IMO: A lifetime warrenty is nothing to be sneezed at to save a few bucks on a crap-shoot.

I very much share this opinion.

dakotasin
August 28, 2009, 11:39 PM
a) if you have ever had a Nikon fail?

no, i haven't... however, i do not have enough nikon glass to make a good evaluation. i have busted a lot of other glass for one reason or another, but so far i have not killed any nikons.

b) if you think this is a good buy?

no. scopes are hard enough to buy once, and break often enough that i want a lifetime warranty, period. no lifetime warranty, no deal. there are plenty of leupold m-8's out there for less money that are still warranted...

Lastly, the site I saw it on was http://www.samplelist.com/default.as...ide_sold=False. Has anyone ever had a bad experience with them? I understand them to be a reputable company that is well respected. If you don't, I'd like to know why.

no flies on swfa... but i still wouldn't buy 90-day warranteed glass from them.

lipadj46
August 28, 2009, 11:55 PM
Just spend the extra $40 on a new one and skip lunch for a week.

rangerruck
August 29, 2009, 12:28 AM
I'm torn... I mean, this is nikon you know, and they generally have no questions asked lifetime wrrties. And to be honest, this one proly broke, becuase it was put together wrong in the first place, right off the line. So now that they got it back, they proly have 1 person, who uses all the right parts, checked parts, and puts it back together the way it is supposed to be.
So I would think it would be fabulous. But I do like having a lifetime wrrty.

lipadj46
August 29, 2009, 12:30 AM
People spend a lot more on a lifetime warrantee when they buy a Leupold so the $40 is worth it IMO (though the Leupold warranty is better).

ugaarguy
August 29, 2009, 01:02 AM
$40 separates you from a lifetime warranty. That's less than 50 cents per day of the refurb's 90 day warranty. I'd rather buy a new ProStaff for less money, and have the lifetime warranty. If you want some nice glass at a bargain price the Pentax Gameseeker line sells in the low hundreds, and they're also lifetime warranted.

sohcgt2
August 30, 2009, 01:44 AM
If it is Nikon Factory refurbished I'd say go for it, if it was remanufactured by freds scope works I'd say look out. If a deal seems too good to be true, it usually is.

sledhead76
August 31, 2009, 07:27 PM
I agree with those that say $40 is worth some peace of mind. That doesn't sound like all that great a discount for a refurbished item in my opinion. I'd probably burn through $40 of ammo (at least) before I trusted the scope not to fail again.

If you enjoyed reading about "Nikon scope durability" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!