Robinson Armament M96 Expeditionary Rifle? Anyone has one?

PDA

AirPower
October 29, 2003, 04:29 AM
Just wondering if $900 for a like new condition one is a good price. Anyone has it? Any pros/cons? Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Robinson Armament M96 Expeditionary Rifle? Anyone has one?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BigG
October 29, 2003, 09:09 AM
I examined a couple but I was not willing to exchange one for one of my Colt AR15s. If the RA turned me on I would switch but it had little appeal to me. I seem to remember rough welds and sharp edges - that sort of thing. Believe me, if it would have been nice I would remember every detail.

Joe Demko
October 29, 2003, 09:24 AM
I've handled a couple. Seemed a bit expensive for a stamped n' welded gun. More importantly to me, it seemed overly heavy for a 5.56 weapon.
The top-feed variations didn't amuse me enough to be worth bothering with, either.
Those who have enough cash not to care about the price and who don't find the weight excessive seem very happy with them.

George Hill
October 29, 2003, 12:16 PM
For 900? If I wasn't a poor college student, I'd get it.
I've not owned one, but I have fired several. I think it's a great rifle.
Not perfect, but better than an AR-15 by far.

gun-fucious
October 29, 2003, 01:16 PM
Mad Dog (http://www.tacticalforums.com) had some issues with the quality of the shipping units craftsmanship

compare:
12-05-2000
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48955
I was wholly and totally impressed with the engineeering, overall quality, and attention to detail that this rifle embodied.

contrast:
04-08-2002
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=108187
I can not in good conscience recommend the M96 for anyone or any purpose other than a very expensive wall hanger.

ny32182
October 29, 2003, 02:14 PM
My buddy has one, and I've fired it several times.

He sold his Wilson Combat AR in order to buy the M96. Lets just say that he strongly wishes he hadn't.

To start with, its heavier and less ergonomic than an AR carbine. And my friend paid about 1400 bucks, so 900 sounds like a deal from here, but I wouldn't pay anywhere near 900, nevermind 1400 for one.

The one my friend has shoots AK like groups (i.e., they suck) at 100 yards at the moment. He's already had to replace some parts in order to get it running 100% reliably. The sights were so far off out of the box that the thing wasn't even zeroed at maximum adjustment. In order to get the accuracy straigtened out, he needs a new barrel in the form of a 'recon kit'. He's literally been trying to find one for months, and no luck yet. They simply aren't being produced rapidly enough, apparently. In the meantime, he got bored and built a Bulgarian AK. Beautiful gun, btw.

Would I take a 1400 dollar M96 over a $900 out the door AR that is dead accurate and 100% reliable right out of the box? No. Would I pick an M96 over an AR even if cost and quality control were no issue? No.

The only positives I've been able to attribute to the entire M96 system, is that it has an adjustable gas system, and uses common mags. Maybe my friend's gun has just been a lemon, but neither of my bushys will be getting traded for one any time soon. YMMV.

Wildalaska
October 29, 2003, 03:06 PM
Dont feel good on my shoulder.

WildarAlaska

Med 10
October 29, 2003, 03:15 PM
ttbadboy, no gun is 100% reliable out of the box.

Joe Demko
October 29, 2003, 03:22 PM
If you mean no gun is 100% reliable, then you are correct. Given enough time and enough shooting every gun will will have a bobble at some point. OTOH, for the cost of the M-96 one might legitimately expect better performance from the weapon than ttbadboy describes.

geekWithA.45
October 29, 2003, 03:39 PM
ttbadboy, no gun is 100% reliable out of the box.

That's funny. I've run thousands and thousands of rounds through my sig, bushie, and m1a, straight from the box, no functional problems that weren't ammo related.

None.

Zero.

Zilch.

I guess I'm lucky.

ny32182
October 29, 2003, 04:01 PM
That's funny. I've run thousands and thousands of rounds through my sig, bushie, and m1a, straight from the box, no functional problems that weren't ammo related.

None.

Zero.

Zilch.

I guess I'm lucky.

I guess I'm lucky as well. Several thousand rounds between my bushy 20" HBAR, bushy 16" superlight, and sig 226 .40; all were bought NIB. Never a single malfunction of any kind. I expect that I'll have some kind of jam out of one of them someday, as no mechanical system is perfect. But it hasn't happened yet.

50 Shooter
October 29, 2003, 05:13 PM
I know someone that has a lawsuit against them, all I can say is that the rifle went KABOOM.

If it's an early model, send it back and get all the updates. Might save your life when your shooting it.

Med 10
October 29, 2003, 05:35 PM
Sigs are great. I've shot the hell out of them and I've had a jam or two.
Glocks are great as well. I've shot the Glock series of handguns more than all other types of guns combined, and you know what? they jammed too. especially with the older Cor-Bon 115 9mm rnds.

I've also shot lots of AR's and AK's. yes, they are prone to an occasional hiccup as well.

Now what I'm saying is they are all fabulous weapons that I would trust my life to but they are not 100%reliable.

If you shoot enough Rnds through youre Sig you will eventually get a malfunction. It may be tomorrow, or ten years from now, but It will happen. Then it will only be 99.999% reliable. :D

geekWithA.45
October 29, 2003, 09:35 PM
Med 10:

I accept your point that no mechanical object is 100% reliable, ever, no matter how much work you do or don't do to it.

What I had read into your comment, perhaps undeservedly, was that you felt that no gun was as reliable as a gun could be out of the box, implying it needed a trip to the 'smith.

If that's not what you meant, I humbly apologize.

If you enjoyed reading about "Robinson Armament M96 Expeditionary Rifle? Anyone has one?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!