M1 Carbine ammo

PDA

BNAllen
August 29, 2009, 02:31 PM
I've just acquired an M1 Carbine. While I have shot and reloaded for the past 35 years, I have no experience with the Carbine. I am fully aware of pressure issues in the Garand, however, I am not aware of any issues shooting factory loads through the Carbine. Once I have a supply of brass, I will reload for the Carbine. I am hoping to discover any issues I should be aware of using factory loads and to a lesser extent any specific issues when hand loading for the .30 M1?

Regards,

Brad

If you enjoyed reading about "M1 Carbine ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
USSR
August 29, 2009, 03:36 PM
Brad,

No issues with factory .30 Carbine ammo (except for the price, Yikes), like there is for the Garand. Regarding reloading for the carbine, it's more like reloading for a handgun, since the cartridge headspaces on the mouth. I would suggest you buy carbide dies, although even with them you will have to use a little lube every other case or two, due to the case taper. A REAL handy die to have in addition to your FL die set is the Lyman Type M die for belling the case mouth. Suitable powders are 2400, W296, H110, and 4227. If you've got a .357 or .44 magnum, chances are you have some of these powders. A side benefit is, you can cast bullets and reload your carbine for .22 rimfire prices. Hope that helps.

Don

SaxonPig
August 29, 2009, 03:56 PM
I've been loading the 30C with standard RCBS dies and both FMJ and lead bullets for 5 years with no issues or problems. Stick to the loads listed in the manuals as with any reloading.

rondog
August 29, 2009, 04:08 PM
Sweet! I have a carbine on the way, shipped yesterday! I also have 1000 rds. on order with the CMP, but won't see that until Xmas. Have all the other reloading stuff, just need dies, brass and boolits.

GRIZ22
August 29, 2009, 05:11 PM
Stick to the loads listed in the manuals as with any reloading.

Probably the most important advice. You can't hot rod the 30 carbine round as the rifles are designed to work in a specific pressure band. Some carbines shoot lead bullets well and others don't. The only way is to try them. If they wrok in your carbine all the better and it cuts your reloading costs over jacketed.

DBR
August 29, 2009, 07:09 PM
A couple of my manuals caution that cases have to be trimmed to proper length.

closetgunnut
August 29, 2009, 07:54 PM
I've loaded about 2K+ 30 Carbine rounds so far using mostly AA#9 with standard Redding dies. I've tried H110 and IMR4227 also but I found #9 burns cleaner, used less powder and groups better. At least for me;).

I use the Lee case length gauge trimmer with the holder in an electric screwdriver. I trim to 1.280 and keep to C.O.A.L. to <1.675 with 110gr FMJ's.

I've used the 110gr TMJ's from 3Lees and they shoot great! I have to keep them under 1.625 for them to chamber/feed correctly though. (They have a different ogive.)

Start low and work your way up.

Good luck, good shooting and enjoy!

Closet

shotgunjoel
August 30, 2009, 01:24 AM
The only problems you'll have is finding the ammo, and keeping it once you have it. They are tons of fun to shoot, just took mine out this morning.

Sunray
August 30, 2009, 02:21 AM
"...any issues I should be aware of using factory loads..." None. Try a box of as many brands as you can to find the ammo your rifle shoots best, but all of it is loaded to milspec. Kind of anaemic, but servicable. The stories you hear about issue ammo not penetrating Chicom quilted coats are nonsense.
"...any specific issues when hand loading for the .30 M1?..." Nope. As mentioned it loads a lot like a handgun cartridge. Case length is important as is OAL, but not much of an issue. Check it just the same.
Carbide dies are your friend. Haven't ever lubed for resizing. Don't recall ever having to trim either. No problems. Taper crimp only, but I've never had any problems with my RCBS or Redding Dies(forget which I have). Mine likes IMR4227 with Speer 110 grain HP's. BARKS as opposed to a bang and shoots extremely well. 13.5 to 15.0(c). Blows a hole the size of a grapefruit in a ground hog. Wouldn't think twice about using it on deer close in. New manuals are showing 14.5(c) as max though. Compressed load are nothing to worry about.
U.S. made milsurp ammo has never been corrosively primed. No primer crimp either as I recall. Only ever used one box of it at Second Chance, long ago.
Aftermarket mags can be an issue. Especially 30 round mags. Issue mags aren't exactly inexpensive these days. Gunparts wants $18.85 each for U.S. surplus 15 round mags. $34.70 for a 30 round mag. Mag pouches were not made to go on the stock either. Buggers the balance and the mag is hard to get at, anyway.
Carbines are evil up here. Don't get to shoot it anymore. It'd be the first firearm I'd reach for if bad things ever happened. It's light, handy and my handloads pack enough punch.

MMCSRET
August 30, 2009, 11:07 AM
I'm working my way thru a bucket of 30 Carbine cases. LC 52 and WCC 45. I've used other headstamps over the years and never found a problem with any of it. There is some military headstamp that is berdan primed, don't remember the marks. The WCC 45 is lightly crimped with 3 strikes at 120 degrees, and as said before, 30 Carbine made in the U.S. was never corrosive. I have used many thousands of Rainier plated bullets at full power over AA#9 and WC820. Good shooting!!!

M2 Carbine
August 30, 2009, 11:22 AM
I've owned and loaded for Carbines since 1961. Easy round to load.

If you cast bullets, Lyman makes a 115 gr gas check pionted bullet mold that turns out a better bullet than anything I've ever shot in the Carbine.

A friend shooting one of my Carbines.:)

(Click on the picture)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/Video/th_P1010099.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/Video/?action=view&current=P1010099.flv)

dogrunner
August 30, 2009, 12:21 PM
I also use that same Lyman GC in my M/2 normally over around 12 grains of Alliant 2400.

I acquired two pillowcases (literally!) from a neighbors kid that 'left' Ft. Hood back in the '60's and am STILL using the stuff.

GI brass will mostly be found with primer crimps, so you'd have to deal with that issue........either ream the crimp off or better still, get one of RCBS's swaging dies.

I don't bother trimming and I've never experienced any issues with the cartridge from not so doing....I lube my cast bullets with alox and size 'em to .308.............get 100% function on full auto and fairly good accuracy overall.

Fun little cartridge to play with and fairly economical as well.

As an aside, you can always tell a mag that's been run thru a full auto with that pointed bullet as the front of it will be 'dimpled' from the bullet points impacting the upper forward portion of the mag itself.

I meant to caution you that while most .30c stuff is non corrosive..........beware of any foreign surplus with a 've' stamp........berdan primed French and very rough on bores.........I understand also that the Chinese have been marketing berdan primed stuff that bears headstamps very similar to U.S. GI LC brass.

USSR
August 30, 2009, 02:47 PM
GI brass will mostly be found with primer crimps, so you'd have to deal with that issue........

Negatory. Have yet to run across a crimped .30 Carbine case.

LC 43 - no crimp
LC 45 - no crimp
LC 52 - no crimp
WCC 44 - no crimp
WCC 52 - no crimp
WRA 54 - no crimp
WRA 55 - no crimp
PC 43 - no crimp
PS 75 (Korean) - no crimp

Don

dogrunner
August 30, 2009, 03:52 PM
Don't know what pot you're pullin' your's from USSR.........maybe they don't send the stuff to the Finger Lakes region, but when I read your reply I went to my shop and grabbed a handful...........:

Crimped: LC54
WRA52
WCC55

I'll go with your comment about 'most'........but I have spent a lotta time swedging pockets with the lot of brass I mentioned so don't tell me they made none!

MMCSRET
August 30, 2009, 06:08 PM
Add WCC 45 to you crimp list. I've got a lot of it, well not so much any more.

Offfhand
August 31, 2009, 09:20 AM
Add LC-54 to not crimped list. Also, I second the suggestion of casting lead alloy bullets for the .30 Carbine. It's cheap, works well and fun. My best loads for .30 Carbine rifles and Ruger handgun have been with cast bullets. I recommend a hard alloy, such as linotype, for carbine bullets.
Shoot well, safely, and often...
Offfhand

Candiru
August 31, 2009, 03:46 PM
Do those of you who shoot cast bullets run into any issues with the gas port? I'd heard bad things about lead bullets and gas guns, and the M1 Carbine seems like it'd be a nasty one to get clogged up.

lencac
August 31, 2009, 06:59 PM
14 gr. H110 w/ 110gr. RN :)

USSR
September 1, 2009, 09:24 AM
Do those of you who shoot cast bullets run into any issues with the gas port? I'd heard bad things about lead bullets and gas guns, and the M1 Carbine seems like it'd be a nasty one to get clogged up.

Nope. The key to any cast bullet use is using the right alloy for the intended pressure/velocity, and sizing the bullet .001 - .002" over bore size.
With the .30 Carbine, I use an alloy that gives me a BHN of about 24, and size them to .310".

Don

If you enjoyed reading about "M1 Carbine ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!