Will 44 mag shotshells work in a Marlin 1894?

PDA

Balrog
August 29, 2009, 03:26 PM
Has anyone ever tried to use CCI shotshells in a Marling Model 1894?

Will they feed and cycle OK?

I think it would kind of nice to have a shotshell in the chamber as I am walking through snakey woods, and then have regular cartridges in the tube magazine.

If you enjoyed reading about "Will 44 mag shotshells work in a Marlin 1894?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cat_IT_guy
August 29, 2009, 05:40 PM
wouldnt the shot be hell on the rifling? Maybe the lead is soft enough compared to the barrel that it doesnt hurt it, idk, will be curious to hear what others with more experience have to say about it.

rcmodel
August 29, 2009, 06:18 PM
CCI shotshells are totally incapsulated inside a plastic shot container.

No lead ever touches the barrel.
But it wouldn't hurt the barrel if it did.
What it would do is damage a lot of the shot on the outside of the shot column and make patterns worse.

Since you ask, I just loaded two in my 1894P and worked them through the action.
They tend to hang up on the edge of the chamber slightly, but do feed if you take it easy.

I would expect them not to pattern too well in a long barrel due to the rifling spin blowing the pattern.

My experiance indicates they pattern better in snubby revolvers then long barrel revolvers for that reason.

Still, they would kill a snake at normal snake killing distance in the woods I think.

rc

Balrog
August 29, 2009, 06:30 PM
10 feet of range would be more than enough for me.

If you enjoyed reading about "Will 44 mag shotshells work in a Marlin 1894?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!