scopes on lever guns...

PDA

PT1911
August 29, 2009, 11:01 PM
So, my first rifle was ( and is) a marlin/glenfield model 30 30-30 and I absolutely love it... Well, when I first got it... several years ago, it had a cheap 3x9 scope on it along with the horid hi-rise see-through rings that everyone just loves to put on them. anyway... Hate the look of a scope on a lever gun... ANY lever gun... I Love the lines of the gun and just feel the scope takes away from it... somewhat like putting a new scope on a milspec rifle... be it a garand or mosin nagant. So, I took the scope off and recently put on a Peep sight which I absolutely love. I look forward to seeing how accurate I can be with this new addition.

So, Do any of you share my sentiments that scopes just shouldnt be on some guns?

If you enjoyed reading about "scopes on lever guns..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jimmyraythomason
August 29, 2009, 11:06 PM
Not me,I scope ALL of my rifles including leverguns and mil-surps(unless a collector). I can't hit what I can't see.

PT1911
August 29, 2009, 11:09 PM
I am not saying it isnt practical or useful. I could hit very well at 100 yards with my 30-30 scoped (1.5 inches consistently with core locks) .. just that it takes away from the overall look of the gun....

kdstrick
August 29, 2009, 11:14 PM
I've always thought that a scope on a lever action was a sin.

Now I'm older and my eyes are worse than they used to be. A scope ruins the balance of a lever gun... but aging eyeballs like scopes. :)

jimmyraythomason
August 29, 2009, 11:16 PM
All my levers were Marlin so a scope sits pretty well on the top of the receiver. Now a Winchester 94 or a Henry is a different story. No way to make that set-up look good.

jimmyraythomason
August 29, 2009, 11:19 PM
kdstrick-"A scope ruins the balance of a lever gun". I have to disagree. My marlin 1894 carbine w/Bushnell 4x32 was perfectly balanced and a natural pointer. Another model might not balance as well.

Nicodemus38
August 29, 2009, 11:27 PM
depends on the scope. if its intended for the claiber your shooting, then its great. if its in a wideview style, then definitely grab it.

CZguy
August 29, 2009, 11:37 PM
Not me,I scope ALL of my rifles including leverguns and mil-surps(unless a collector). I can't hit what I can't see.

Actually a scope doesn't help you see better it just magnifies the image.

I find that even my aging eyes prefer a good receiver mounted peep sight out to 150 yards or so.

hogshead
August 29, 2009, 11:49 PM
To me a lever gun is for close in tight shooting [bears with hounds]Lever guns are by far the most common action for hound hunting here.Seems like every greenhorn uses a scope the first year.But by the second year the scope is gone, they have black tape around their elevation ramp, and the front hood is lost.Seems like a scope catches on everything in the woods and you always worry about knocking it out of adjustment.Personaly I think its like putting a winch on a Corvette.

PT1911
August 29, 2009, 11:50 PM
amen hogshead... AMEN

lefteyedom
August 29, 2009, 11:54 PM
I can deal with a scope on a marlin, a normal sizes one. What I hate is the pistol scope mounted out on the barrel.
The "scout rifle" look on a lever gun just looks wrong, no matter how usefull it maybe.

AKElroy
August 30, 2009, 12:49 AM
I have a 1974 built 94 .30-30 that I love, and I would NEVER ruin its perfect lines with a scope.

BUT...I just picked up a recent 94 AE .30-30, LNIB, 100% condition. Since this 94 is already ruined with the horrid cross bolt safety, I have decided to scope it.

I will post pics when I get the bases (on order now). The only reason I am willing to do this is due to the scope. I have a 45 year old vintage Weaver K-4, 100% condition with matching vintage Weaver high gloss rings. This all steel scope is bright blue, matching the rich blue of the gun beautifully.

I think the standard height rings will just clear just barely, allowing for a very low mount to the bore centerline. The irony is, I will actually need the ugly safety with the minimal hammer clearance such a low mount will allow.When I match them up sans mounts, that Weaver really matches the gun perfectly. We'll see--mounts in 3 days!

CZguy
August 30, 2009, 02:39 AM
BUT...I just picked up a recent 94 AE .30-30, LNIB, 100% condition. Since this 94 is already ruined with the horrid cross bolt safety, I have decided to scope it.

Think how much better it would look with a Lyman or Williams receiver sight. :cool:

Then you could have a reason to buy a nice bolt action to use the scope on.

I'm pretty sure that there is some kind of leaver action Karma that covers this. :D

sohcgt2
August 30, 2009, 02:50 AM
I love the look of lever guns too, but I can't see iron sights any more. I use a single power red dot on my 336.

Nick5182
August 30, 2009, 02:53 AM
I've got a winchester 94 AE in .30-30 and I have a weaver base and use a 1X red dot scope sighted in to 75 yds, and it works great in my opinion.

Logan80
August 30, 2009, 03:16 AM
I have a couple Savage 99s and so does my father. All of them are scoped. They all look good to me...

August 30, 2009, 04:58 AM
I think that scopes look just fine on lever guns. As for ruining the balance .... :scrutiny: ... all they do is add weight, nothing more. I'll take the extra weight since it's accompanied by an even greater increase in accuracy.

http://128.171.62.162/hawthorn-engineering/thr/marlin/xlr_guide_gun.jpg

:)

H2O MAN
August 30, 2009, 08:31 AM
Optics on a lever gun... They're GR-R-REAT!

http://athenswater.com/images/guidegun.jpg

hogshead
August 30, 2009, 08:31 AM
Beautiful guns nice winch too.lol

AKElroy
August 30, 2009, 10:13 AM
Think how much better it would look with a Lyman or Williams receiver sight.

Then you could have a reason to buy a nice bolt action to use the scope on.

I've got lots of scoped bolt guns. This K-4 came off a 1965 manufacture Model 70 .270; It now wears a VXIII & is no longer a safe queen. If I did not have two 94's, no way would I scope my only one.

wheelgunslinger
August 30, 2009, 10:23 AM
I think the general reason for scoped lever guns being so prevalent is between the lines here.
Older guys with aging eyes need scopes. Young men learning to hunt learn from those old guys. Like most young men, they follow the monkey see- monkey do of most young hunters. They get what the mentor has.
So, then you wind up with a bunch of scoped lever guns that don't really have capability beyond what a good shooter with peep/aperture sights can do.

I don't like the aesthetic of scoped lever rifles either. And, for the 30-30 at least, I think a scope is just needless given the effective range and how accurate one can shoot with a peep.
However, for the people who like their levergun but don't like getting old, a scope is the only way to go.

When my eyes get bad, I'll probably do the same thing.

H2O MAN
August 30, 2009, 11:36 AM
Learn to shoot accurately and confidently with your iron sights before you scope
the rifle, but do not needlessly handicap yourself by not installing a good optic.

CZguy
August 30, 2009, 12:24 PM
Learn to shoot accurately and confidently with your iron sights before you scope
the rifle, but do not needlessly handicap yourself by not installing a good optic.

I think that's the whole point. I don't feel handicapped at all by not having a scope on my lever gun. I believe that out to 150 yards or so (about as far as I would use a .30-30 or .35 Rem) that I can shoot every bit as accurately with a Lyman receiver mounted peep sight as I can with a scope. Also with this setup I don't loose the inherent good handling of a lever gun.

Don't get me wrong, I like scopes. I just like them on long range guns. And to me anything that shoots flat tip bullets because of the tubular magazine isn't long range.

Runningman
August 30, 2009, 12:25 PM
it had a cheap 3x9 scope on it along with the horid hi-rise see-through rings that everyone just loves to put on them. anyway...Well there is your problem high rise see thru rings well make any gun look ugly.

Own lever guns both scoped and unscoped don't see a problem as long as the scope is a reasonable size.

I am not saying it isn't practical or useful. I could hit very well at 100 yards with my 30-30 scoped (1.5 inches consistently with core locks) .. just that it takes away from the overall look of the gun.... What size groups are you now getting at 100 yards without a scope? For me going to a 2 -7 X on my Marlin 336 cut my groups at 100 yards in 1/2 over the the stock iron sights. Without even getting into the crude POI adjustment the stock iron sight 336 gives you. I do keep stock iron sights on my Winchester 94.

jimmyraythomason
August 30, 2009, 03:51 PM
I NEED a scope on any rifle I shoot. Because of my vision hinderances I CANNOT see a rear aparture sight nor can I see the rear open sight through my bifocals. When I obtain cheek weld with the stock my eyes are looking through the upper portion of my glasses. If I raise my head to use the lower portion of my glasses I am above the sightline. Except for my mil-surps I don't have iron sights on any of my hunting guns as they would be useless.

gallo
August 30, 2009, 03:59 PM
To me, scope on a 30-30 is a hindrance. I like it for javalina hunting and sometimes a quick second shot is required. I find the scope get in the way.

August 30, 2009, 04:02 PM
So, then you wind up with a bunch of scoped lever guns that don't really have capability beyond what a good shooter with peep/aperture sights can do.

I think we need a 100 and 200 yard irons vs. optics lever rifle match. The results would be very interesting and would put comments like the one above in perspective.

OrangePwrx9
August 30, 2009, 04:59 PM
I'm two years into Social Security and my 3 lever guns all wear Williams Peep sights with a fire-sight out front. The natural way to carry a levergun is to wrap your hand around the receiver and disappear into the woods. Can't do that with a scope on there. Gotta carry it like it was some danged woodchuck rifle. If you stick it in your saddle scabbard, even your 'hoss won't want to carry it. He might brush against something and get blamed for knocking the scope off zero. :D

Secondly, my 3 guns (2 Marlin 1894s and a Model 39M) all have traditional straight levergun stocks on them. A fair amount of drop and no Monty Carlo. They're made for good cheek weld when your eyes are lined up with the iron sights. Stick a scope with a 40mm objective bell on there and, guess what? The old head hasta come up off the stock to look thru it. You might get by with a 32mm objective bell, but to preserve the cheek weld you'd really need the old straight tube style scope with a 20mm objective....the kind I can't seem to find anymore.

Thirdly, I'd agree about the vision issues if it were a contest between open sights and the scope. But, due to aperture effect, peering at the target through a peep sight sharpens the vision and makes the target clearer for me. So, for now at least, leverguns and peep sights are a marriage made in heaven.

BTW, 1858, thanks so much for the tip and instructions for putting a Wild West Trigger in a Marlin. Did my .44 mag. 1894 yesterday and it came out great. :hatsoff:
Bob

SwampWolf
August 30, 2009, 05:25 PM
I CANNOT see a rear aparture sight nor can I see the rear open sight through my bifocals.

I don't know if you're aware of this nor whether it applies to you or not, but you're not supposed to "see" the rear aperture on a receiver sight; the correct usage of a receiver (peep) sight is to look through the aperture, paying no attention to it while focusing on the front sight. Do not try to "center" the front sight within the aperture as your eye will do that naturally. Using the bottom part of the bi-focal on your prescription glasses (I'm 66 years of age and have them too :() to use a receiver sight would be counter-productive.

As far as whether a scope on a rifle compromises the handling of it-you bet it does and not just on lever-actions. No matter how you go about it when you mount a scope on any rifle, the balance by definition will be changed and not for the better. Mind you, I'm not opposed to scopes-I have them on most all of my bolt-action rifles (a little Winchester Model 67 has been spared optics) and even have an old Redfield "WideField" 1X5 mounted on a Savage 99. But all of my Winchester levers as well as a Marlin 39 have William receiver sights on them because they not only handle better with them, they "carry" better and are far faster to find a target with than conventional irons. Plus, they look way better with peeps on them as compared to scopes.

I don't mean to argue with anybody concerning scopes vs peeps and I'm only stating my considered opinions such as they are. The issue is subjective in nature and there are no right or wrong answers. But this claim I defy anybody to challenge: there's no better handling, easier to carry or faster to aim rifle in heavy timber or thick brush than a Winchester Model 94 carbine equipped with a good Williams or Lyman receiver sight! :)

August 30, 2009, 05:42 PM
BTW, 1858, thanks so much for the tip and instructions for putting a Wild West Trigger in a Marlin. Did my .44 mag. 1894 yesterday and it came out great.

Bob, you're welcome and I fully appreciate your comment about a scope on a lever rifle interfering with ease of carry and increasing the likelihood of snagging on brush or similar. My '94 has XS ghost ring sights and is about as simple as it gets. I set up both the '95s with lever rails and QR rings so it takes no time at all to revert to XS sights on those rifles if the need arises.

As far as whether a scope on a rifle compromises the handling of it-you bet it does and not just on lever-actions. No matter how you go about it when you mount a scope on any rifle, the balance by definition will be changed and not for the better.

Define "balance"? Do you prefer to single load your AR then since a 30-round magazine will adversely affect the balance? I can see a scope on handgun changing the balance since the additional weight increases the moment arm about the grip. On a rifle, the additional weight sits between the trigger and support hands (just like a loaded magazine) and it's much closer to the butt than the muzzle. A scope adds weight which changes the "feel" or handling of a rifle the same way a full magazine changes the feel of a rifle, but as far as being detrimental to the "balance" ... I don't agree.

jimmyraythomason
August 30, 2009, 05:43 PM
Yes I know how receiver sights work. I even put a William's aparture sight on my Marlin 1894 before I started wearing glasses(still have the sight but not the rifle). No good. Scope worked much better and balance was PERFECT. FWIW, if a receiver sight is "invisible" wouldn't no sight at all be just as good?

MCgunner
August 30, 2009, 06:02 PM
Whatever the owner wants and needs. My eyes ain't what they used to be and never were that great. I can see a scope on just about anything short of a concealed carry and they make lasers for those. :D However, sort of messes up the handiness of a lever gun to put a scope on it. That thing carries so well with my hand wrapped around the receiver. I've got bolt guns with scopes, don't need a lever gun with one. It's a different kinda gun for me.

I have a ghost ring aperture click adjustable sight on my 92. I like it a lot. Got it off an old .22 single shot training rifle and it dove tailed right in to where that buckhorn abomination was. :D

sebtool
August 30, 2009, 07:15 PM
I never used a scope on any rifle till I topped 40....:( I finally figgered if I was going to still be able to make a head shot on a squirrel with any .22 I own, I needed to put a scope on it!

Up till about 2-3 yrs ago I could read a 6" scale down to .005 (i'm a machinist) but now I need a pair of bi-focal safety glasses.

I love a good peep sight, always have. Got an old Ranger .22 that I bought just because of the peep sight on it. My M1A has a national Match sight on it that's phenominal!

I hate it, but I'm looking for a scope right now for an 1894 Marlin .22 mag I just picked up. I agree that a scope on a lever action is a sin, but wounding game is a proportionally greater sin, so I'll put 1 on it.

The bottom line for me is that using a scope on any gun allows more accurate shot placement while hunting, and a quicker, cleaner kill. Which outweighs the handling advantages of not having 1 on my leverguns.

Now my Winchester model 88 on .308 came with an old 4x Weathery scope on it, and I haven't bothered to change anything about the gun, because it point and shoulders perfectly. Don't fix what ain't broke!

What I hate to see are all the 3-9x40 and 4-14x50 scopes mounted on an otherwise trim, handy rifle! For the most part, unless long range varmint hunting, all most anyone needs is a 1.5-4x32, 2-7x28 to 33. I also like the 20-24mm objectives in a straight tube scope, but the price of a good 1 takes them out of my price range by a long shot!:what: I think the optics manufacturer's think that the only people who want them are the Safari hunters that can afford to spend $600 for scope on a $3000 rifle! Unless you buy $9.95 Tasco....

With any luck I'll be able to find something similar to my old Weaver 2.5x straight tube scope for the 1894, just with better optics! That I can afford... I think Millett makes 1 I'll ahve to check into.

Maverick223
August 30, 2009, 08:16 PM
I can see a scope on handgun changing the balance since the additional weight increases the moment arm about the grip.No arguing whether you're a Engineer with a statement like that. :D

You are exactly right...I detest a scope on a handgun, despite the fact that I can't see what I am aiming at. I am still good enough to hit CM at about 50yds. with my HK-USP .45 (not so with other pistols), and I consider that good enough. OTOH a rifle mounted optic is of great benefit for someone with poor eyesight such as myself. The handling is a little worse, but that is almost entirely due to the extra weight, and for myself and many others it is worth the added pound.

FWIW I will be adding a scope to my Browning 1885 High Wall before long...I plan to keep it period style...but I like to be able to hit the target. :)

H2O MAN
August 30, 2009, 09:25 PM
I say use what works best for you, but don't be a hater or timid when it comes to trying something new and different.

I was an "iron sights only" kind of guy for decades, but technological progress has made
using some type of optic on just about every long gun I own an easy and smart choice for me.

Aimpoint and Leupold are my friends :)

MCgunner
August 30, 2009, 10:03 PM
.I detest a scope on a handgun, despite the fact that I can't see what I am aiming at.

Depends on the use. A Contender begs for optics. I can put 5 rounds into 3" at 200 yards with a 2x LER on my .30-30 Contender barrel. My match .22 barrel is more accurate than all, but one of my .22 rifles and it's a tack driver. My Mk2 I bought with a 2x LER on it, got the rear sight from the guy figuring I'd ebay the mount and put the scope on a 7mmTCU barrel I used to shoot open sight IHMSA with, but the gun is so fast and accurate with that scope, I haven't touched it. That Ruger shoots 1" at 50 yards, great little squirrel gun even though the .22 Contender barrel is more accurate. I've been shooting that Mk2 a lot, every range trip, just huge fun. It carries well in the field, too, in my UM's shoulder rig, same rig I use for my various Contender configurations. I've killed 5 deer with that .30-30 barrel, longest shot 90 yards. Put it right on the hair I was aiming at. :D I always fire braced, over shooting sticks, or some sort of rest in the field, so "feel" of the handgun is superfluous. But, I've gotten used to shooting those guns off hand, too. The Ruger handles really well.

If you need a scope on a lever gun for your old eyes (man, can I relate) and want to still be able to carry it by the action, consider the LER scout scope. Not sure what mounts are out there, but I've seen 'em set up.

AKElroy
August 30, 2009, 11:37 PM
What a hot topic! It is encouraging to see tradition honored. That is what we are talking about here; lever guns are clearly viewed as more traditional, possesing more cultural and historical heritage. I get that. I also love to hunt, and I do it a lot. I have a safe full of high end, brilliantly accurate bolt guns with high end optics. I have taken a lot of game with them, and they have their place.

As I have aged, I have come to appreciate the nastalgia and feel of older style weapons. A lever .30-30 is nearly the perfect hog medicine; a .270 or 7mag would do fine, but they kick, make a lot of noise, and are frankly overkill for much of the hunting I do.

At dawn & dusk, when piggies are active, having a decent scope is a must for me. I occasionally take game with a bone stock 94, took a decent freezer doe @ 130 paces last year with it. It is just getting more difficult with these failing 43 year old peepers, and I still love the .30-30. If a scope helps me to keep using it, then so be it.

GunTech
August 31, 2009, 01:11 AM
My son's Marlin 336. Points great and easy to hit stuff.

http://guntech.com/lever/336.jpg

PzGren
August 31, 2009, 01:24 AM
I am 50 years old and have always shot iron sighted guns. My vision is not what it has been and the rear sight is one blurr but I can still hit what I am aiming at. The strange thing is, that I cannot see the sights on a handgun as well as I used to 30 years ago but my match scores are better than they were then.

I still do not have a scope on any rifle since I am not a hunter but have to admit that I am getting ready to get a good scope for a bolt action. I definitely would not want a scope on my only remaining levergun, an 1873 Winchester carbine replica!

H2O MAN
August 31, 2009, 08:55 AM
GunTech My son's Marlin 336. Points great and easy to hit stuff.

Nice :)

I decided to run a Leupold FX-II 2.5x28mm IER Scout on my Guide Gun and mounted the Micro T-1 on my M21A5 EBR

Legionnaire
August 31, 2009, 11:55 AM
Like others, I love the look of un-scoped lever actions. However, for any serious hunting application, my middle-aged eyes require a boost. So I now favor a low fixed power scope mounted as close to the bore as possible. Had a 336 set up with a scout scope, but didn't really find it easier to use than a conventional scope. So I prefer a compact fixed 2.5X or 4X scope in the conventional location in low rings. YMMV.

Hokkmike
August 31, 2009, 12:25 PM
I don't use scopes on my lever guns. Not consistant with the style, to hard to acquire, interfers (often) with the action, etc. My nice bolt has a scope./

Maverick223
August 31, 2009, 12:30 PM
to hard to acquire, interfers (often) with the actionNot with a nice Marlin...scoping a Winchester is an abomination, but Winchester lever guns were made more to look at than to shoot IMO. :)

AKElroy
September 1, 2009, 12:11 AM
OK, I vioalted all that's sacred and scoped a model 94 today. As stated earlier, I have two. A 1974 manufacture and a recent 94 AE I just picked up cheap. In the recesses of the mancave, I have a vintage Weaver K-4 w/ matching vintage rings, circa 1965.

Contrary to the non purists in this thread, I am loath to like a scope on a 94. I do think this all-steal, bright blue Weaver may be the only exception--

earplug
September 1, 2009, 12:13 AM
My Savage 99 in 300 Savage looks Ok with a Tilden mount and a K3 Weaver.

AKElroy
September 1, 2009, 12:52 AM
OK, scoping a model 99 may actually be a crime. My GS would never drill & tap a 99!!

Tengu Joker
September 1, 2009, 01:06 AM
Off-Topic: Every time I see H2OMan post a pic I get more and more jealous of the lucky bastard. Back on topic: To each his own. If a scope makes you happy go for it, if not stay with the iron sights

4thPointOfContact
September 1, 2009, 01:35 AM
My Win 94AE wears a mini red dot mounted on an XSSightsystems scout rail. No issues with weight, no issues with handling, either.

I'll wager that it takes less time to line up a red dot and a target, than a rear sight, front sight and a target.

Whatever works for you, or for your prejudices, is what you should use.

ken22250
September 1, 2009, 06:10 PM
are a mistake, they wernt meant to have them, and they kill thereusefull ness as a brush gun
ken

edrice
September 1, 2009, 06:54 PM
scopes on lever guns...

are a mistake, they wernt meant to have them, and they kill thereusefull ness as a brush gun
ken

I've never shot at brush anyway.

http://members.cox.net/teklanika/336scout.jpg

Ed

Badlander
September 1, 2009, 07:25 PM
I have scopes on both my marlins. I just shoot much better with the glass.

rodensouth
September 1, 2009, 08:01 PM
edrice

I think that set up looks very nice!

breakthru62
September 1, 2009, 08:20 PM
I have a Marlin have is scoped with a 2x7. It works good for the brush hunting. I also have a Winne 94 without a scope.

The Marlin looks fine with a scope, but the Winne just don't look right at all. Just don't work.

hogshead
September 1, 2009, 08:26 PM
Just wondering if anyone else has noticed that all the scoped guns look to be in at least 95 % condition. One good bear season and they would look like they should, 70 %cond, scratched and chipped wood, no scope and black tape holding on the elevation ramp.Maybe if they tried real hard and got lucky they would have a notch on the left side forearm.Just my opinion don't want anyone to get fuzzed up at me.

CZguy
September 1, 2009, 09:31 PM
edrice,

What kind of receiver sight is that?

jimmyraythomason
September 1, 2009, 09:59 PM
I take care of my guns. You can hunt very hard in rough territory and still not abuse your gun.

Maverick223
September 1, 2009, 10:22 PM
I take care of my guns. You can hunt very hard in rough territory and still not abuse your gun.+1, rifles can make very effective hammers, pry bars, walking sticks, and brush beaters...or they can be a fine implement with which to shoot things...I chose the latter and bought other tools to perform the above tasks. :D

hogshead
September 1, 2009, 10:48 PM
Its not abuse its use.Not talking about a tree lounge here.

jimmyraythomason
September 1, 2009, 10:54 PM
No excuse for mistreating a gun. Give it the priority it deserves and you won't abuse it.

hogshead
September 1, 2009, 11:18 PM
Come tag along with me Oct. 19 I think you can gain new insight.To me a gun is a tool and no its not a pry bar walking stick or brush beater.Its something to kill something with.I guess if I shot more paper and less hunting I could take better care of it.Kinda like the old saying a ship is safe in the harbor, but thats not what ships are for.

Maverick223
September 1, 2009, 11:38 PM
To me a gun is a toolSo are optics...some people can't hardly see irons (ask me how I know). Also a decent scope is just about as durable as the rifle that it is carried on. :)

jimmyraythomason
September 1, 2009, 11:39 PM
Carelessness not hard hunting is the cause of a damaged hunting rifle. I figure the only insight I would gain is that I shouldn't be hunting with someone who abuses their equipment.

hogshead
September 2, 2009, 12:02 AM
Yea I guess we mountain boys are a careless lot.Dont care much for safe queens myself ,but I guess everyone is free to choose.Forget the invite JR if you think I abuse my gun you sure wouldn't want to see my fourwheeler.lol

CZguy
September 2, 2009, 12:35 AM
Yea I guess we mountain boys are a careless lot.Dont care much for safe queens myself ,but I guess everyone is free to choose.Forget the invite JR if you think I abuse my gun you sure wouldn't want to see my fourwheeler.lol

I'm gonna go way out on a limb here...............when you open the door on your car/truck, does a lot of stuff fall out?

If I'm wrong I apologize, but my brother for example is very rough on firearms and just in general doesn't clean up after himself very well. It just seems that some guys are rougher with things than others.

Maverick223
September 2, 2009, 12:50 AM
Yea I guess we mountain boys are a careless lot.Guess so...[space bar] is a hell of a thing. :)

hogshead
September 2, 2009, 08:07 AM
Nothing falls out of my truck door when I open it [well most of the time]. I have just used the same gun to bear hunt with for about 4 years. Its getting kind of rough but I wouldn't trade for anything in any of the pics. It was my dads before he died. Before I got it he had it for proably 10 years.[Space bar] heck I didnt know about them.How do you get there in a rocket.Id sure like to try me a space Bud Light!

Sav .250
September 2, 2009, 08:17 AM
Different strokes for different folks...........

I`m a scope man from way back. :)

hogshead
September 2, 2009, 08:38 AM
Thats cool, I have to admit I kinda like the looks of the scout mount. I have scopes on all my deer rifles Browning Bar .308, Ruger 77 and even my Savage muzzle loader.I just dont like them on a lever gun. Seems like they get caught on every thing in the woods.But I have noticed the sights seem smaller the older I get.Still aint figgured out that space bar thing.Have a great day.

hogshead
September 2, 2009, 08:42 AM
Oh btw all my deer guns are in excellent shape.I only abuse lever actions.lol

edrice
September 2, 2009, 09:45 AM
edrice,

What kind of receiver sight is that?

That's a Williams peep sight. Which reminds me, I still need to install a taller front sight to match it.

Ed

achildofthesky
September 2, 2009, 09:51 AM
I only did a quick scan here and saw comments on both sides about the OP's comment on appearance. Fair enough but I don't buy lever guns cuz they look good, I go for utility and good accuracy and without a scope it just ain't happening for my eyes... I gravitate towards lower power fixed power 2.5x, 4x or a low variable like a 1.5x5 for handy handling without the bulk of larger scopes...

H2O MAN
September 2, 2009, 09:56 AM
achildofthesky ... I don't buy lever guns cuz they look good, I go for utility and good accuracy...

It ain't a beauty contest :)

If you enjoyed reading about "scopes on lever guns..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!