Anyone have experience with Henry's customer service?

PDA

Deus Machina
August 30, 2009, 12:14 AM
Bought the rifle new, registered it to them, so hope this is under warranty...

Found what I think to be the problem, after more 2" 50-yard groups from a rest, with better ammo. Cleaned the crud out of the bore (it wasn't that bad, after a few hundred rounds) to uncover what looks like machine marks. Maybe half a dozen light rings (that I can see) near the muzzle, that scratch through both the lands and grooves. :cuss:

I mean, it doesn't even look like it could be wear. Rather even scratches, perfectly perpendicular to the bore, and not even a thousand rounds through it. :fire:

So I'll be giving them a call ASAP. Can anyone reassure me on their CS, or warn me if they're going to blame this on me?

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone have experience with Henry's customer service?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jbkebert
August 30, 2009, 12:20 AM
I ordered two frontier rifles direct from Henry a couple of months ago. Their CS people were great to deal with. I got answers quickly both via the phone and e-mail. Nice folks I am pretty sure they will take care of you like they did me.

bigfatdave
August 30, 2009, 12:35 AM
Henry has a reputation for insanely good CS, their CEO even maintains a presence over at rimfirecentral, with direct contact info.

What model/caliber is it?

Deus Machina
August 30, 2009, 01:14 AM
Well, that's good. Now I have to do a proper search on sending this thing in.

It's a .22 lever-action. H001. Wouldn't complain about the accuracy if I hadn't been told they're tack drivers, and marks like this worry me either way.

Would think 2" would be good with iron sights, but not a borrowed Bushnell.

bigfatdave
August 30, 2009, 01:38 AM
I don't know if there's a specific policy regarding other forums ... but expert opinions can be found on RFC (http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)

2" shooting from a bench, scoped? How sure are you that the source of inaccuracy is not you? I'm not knocking your skill, but you might want another accomplished rifle shooter to take a turn on the trigger before going through the hassle of shipping.

Deus Machina
August 30, 2009, 02:18 AM
Well, having some nice scratches inside the muzzle end bothers me even discounting that.

I'm not going to say I'm any kind of sniper, but it's on a rest, and shooting that same way I can get tighter groups with other .22's at 75 yards.

Unless the forearm on the H001 is wobbling far too much and throwing it off, because there's no way to rest it on the receiver alone. But that would open it up shooting offhand, too, which still wouldn't be good.

jbkebert
August 30, 2009, 10:16 AM
I bought two Hoo1t from Henry for my boys birthday presents. My oldest got his a couple weeks ago. THe gun had one small scratch upon receipt on the side of the receiver. I also noticed some machining marks during breakdown to clean under the cover. Gun seems very solid and to me shoots very well open sights. I could not tell you what MOA. I have only fired out to 25-30 yards. I would still contact them and see what can be done. I think they go out of their way to provide great CS.

M2 Carbine
August 30, 2009, 10:31 AM
I bought a Henry 22 Pump. The action was VERY stiff. It would wear you out just shooting a magazine load.

I e-mailed Henry and got a very fast reply. They faxed a prepaid shipping label. They changed out a couple parts and got the rifle back to me in a very short time.

sledhead76
August 30, 2009, 07:08 PM
I bought a .22 Golden Boy a few months back, got home with it and upon detailed inspection at home noticed the brass finish on the bottom of the receiver was flaking off. I emailed Henry, they responded within a day asking for my address. Within a few days of that, I had a UPS mailing label to ship the rifle back to them. Less than 2 weeks later, they had shipped me back a brand new rifle. They were prompt, professional, and absolutely hassle free. After reading on here about the way some other companies handle issues like that (Taurus in particular seems to be a crappy company to deal with), I'd gladly do business with Henry again.

CZguy
August 30, 2009, 10:51 PM
I'm not going to say I'm any kind of sniper, but it's on a rest, and shooting that same way I can get tighter groups with other .22's at 75 yards.

Lets slow down a bit here and think things through before we panic and want to ship it back.

Here is a basic .22 rim fire fact. They do not all shoot the same ammo accurately. What I mean by that is you will need to try several different brands of ammo with each .22 rifle in order to find out what it's preferences are. Just because one rifle that you own likes a particular brand does not mean that the next serial numbered rifle of the same make and brand will.

You might want to stop by rimfire central for much more info.

You can rest assured though that Henry has the best customer service in the industry. They are the bench mark that I use to judge other companies.

Deus Machina
August 30, 2009, 10:59 PM
I did do an in-depth (for me) writeup on the different ammo it likes, using everything I had. Averaged out at about 3.25" groups for the cheap stuff, and the smallest being 1.5" with Dynapoint GT's, and not really any smaller with Wolf Target Match.

Now, I'm in no rush. My plan is to give it another cleaning until the bore shines again, put on a scope of a known quality, and compare that with the known good gun (A Marlin 60) I have coming, with the same scope.

I've done much better than the Henry is giving me, but I do want to rule out the variables.

skidooman603
August 31, 2009, 04:54 AM
Are those the sights that the owners manual recomends beating with a hammer for windage adjustment? Only Henry I ever sighted in had junk sights I would have replaced right off the bat if it were mine.

Marlin 45 carbine
August 31, 2009, 05:04 AM
regards the specific question I do have experience with Henry c.s. and they are among the best in the industry.
would that all companys were as good to their customers.

CZguy
August 31, 2009, 12:44 PM
Walter,

One way that I avoid scratches is to go to Home Depot and buy a foot of 1/4 wide hard plastic rod. I then cut it into four or five inch lengths, and use it as a (non marring) punch to move sights. Fits with a small hammer easily in a range bag.

Of course the best way is with a sight mover. Available from Brownell's or Midway.

TomADC
August 31, 2009, 12:59 PM
Hear nothing but good about their customer service search here. :http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67

Steve H
August 31, 2009, 01:00 PM
IMHO
1 - "talk" to the guys at rimfirecentral's Henry forum.

2 - try different ammo and maybe a different shooter

3 - if you still have the problems email Anthony the owner of Henry, he is GREAT and will personally make sure you are happy.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone have experience with Henry's customer service?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!