Mosin Purists Look Away

PDA

kis2
August 30, 2009, 12:16 AM
hey all,

well i was given an offer i couldnt refuse on a mosin. the crown is all kinds of shot out, but most of the rifling is good, but i'm not looking for it to be a shooter.

typically i like my stuff stripped down to factory essentials, but since i already have a matching numbers ex sniper i'm keeping in mint condition, i decided to refinish this one.

so i went to town with wood stripper, steel wool and BLO. whole project took about 3 hours, and i like the outcome. love the contrast between the black and white, like mosin honor guard :p

thinking about taking a can of matte black krylon and addressing the bluing...
--------
befores and afters
--------

If you enjoyed reading about "Mosin Purists Look Away" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
shotgunjoel
August 30, 2009, 12:19 AM
Pretty, but don't you dare spray paint that beauty. Chrome it :D

kis2
August 30, 2009, 12:27 AM
ha! that would match the sling slot covers... who knew those things were shiny?!

Tim the student
August 30, 2009, 12:30 AM
Looks good to me.

Eightball
August 30, 2009, 01:19 AM
Duracoat it pink.

Sunray
August 30, 2009, 01:25 AM
"...a can of matte black krylon and addressing the bluing..." Use cold bluing paste. Krylon would be tacky.
"...the crown is all kinds of shot out..." Recrown it.

Hammerhead6814
August 30, 2009, 03:24 AM
What about this rifle would offend a purist?

Mp7
August 30, 2009, 06:02 AM
maybe "Herculiner" would be a gun idea.
(Bedliner for truckbeds)
Anyone dunnit?

redman900
August 30, 2009, 06:28 AM
hey join the club..i did the samething to mine it looks great.

Starship1st
August 30, 2009, 09:43 AM
I have had one for months now and haven't the time to do anything yet. I got yo get busy. Thanks for the inspiration. :cool:

dogrunner
August 30, 2009, 11:33 AM
Tiger stripe it!

krs
August 30, 2009, 01:47 PM
Where's your shiny brass?

My ONLY Mosin, re-do'd.

kis2
August 30, 2009, 04:23 PM
very nice lookin mosin right there krs

jpwilly
August 30, 2009, 04:37 PM
KRS, I'm shipping you my Mosins for a refinish!

Cosmoline
August 30, 2009, 04:50 PM
I think you may have missed some shellac by the look of it--I can see blotches through the BLO. If you really want to refinish, forget the wood stripper and steel wool. You need to get out the sandpaper and do it all the way. THEN add your layers of BLO, one after the other hand rubbed with a steel wool rub after each coat dries to remove any non-binding oil.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mosin Purists Look Away" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!