Newbie Questions

PDA

sledhead76
August 30, 2009, 08:44 PM
Ok enough lurking, time to start my very own first thread :)

First a little about myself. I'm pretty much a recreational shooter, just plinking and target shooting for fun. Mostly rimfires, .22s and .17 HMRs, with some bigger rifles and hadguns once in a while for fun too. I did just pick up a .270 Weatherby Vanguard Deluxe to give deer hunting a try this year, currently scope shopping for it. Anyway, on to my questions.

While endlessly shopping and researching rifles in my free time, I came across things like "free floating barrels" or "bedded barrels"... not being a gunsmith by any stretch of the imagination, (I can mount a scope and sight it in, that's about it) I just assume this relates in some way to the accuracy of the rifle? Is it something to be on the lookout for while shopping, or is it just marketing fluff to make consumers think they're getting something fancy? Maybe one of you guys can enlighten me on this.

If you enjoyed reading about "Newbie Questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
longspurr
August 30, 2009, 11:11 PM
Sled
the terms "free floating" and "bedded barrel" relate to the rifle, not the scope. You already have the rifle so that decision is made.

Go get the scope to complement That rifle. The 270 Weatherby is a big game rifle. Put a big game scope on it - not a varmint scope. To me that spells good quality and a power range from 3 to 6 magnification. I have never found a scope power above that really useful on big game.

jakk280rem
August 30, 2009, 11:32 PM
Is it something to be on the lookout for while shopping, or is it just marketing fluff to make consumers think they're getting something fancy?

there is some marketing hype to it, but the effects are not fluff. the positive effect of free floating has been proven over and over. the overall effect of freefloating a barrel depends on the rifle.

I just assume this relates in some way to the accuracy of the rifle?

as the temperature of the barrel and stock changes, reducing or eliminating the interuption of the harmonics of the barrel, the point of impact becomes more repeatable.

there are multiple types of bedding. glass bedding is the most used on wood stocks. some sort of bedding block is used most often on synthetic stocks. however there are wood stocks that use aluminum beding blocks, and some synthetics that use glass. some stocks use neither or both. the overall purpose is to equalize the pressure applied to the action where it meets the stock, and to eliminate all movement or squirm when the rifle fires. a secondary effect is to strengthen a stock making it stiffer.

skidooman603
August 31, 2009, 05:59 AM
Longspur I like your theory on scopes. These days I see a lotta folks runnin around shootin at deer with 24X scopes at 75 yds. Every rifleman should learn to shoot irons before being issued a scope :D

sledhead76
August 31, 2009, 04:40 PM
Jakk, thanks, that gives me a little bit of an idea about the bedding and stuff. As far as the scopes, I'm hoping to get either a 3x9 or 4x12 Leupold VX II or VX III, I just need to head to the store and play with them and see which one "feels" better.

nulfisin
August 31, 2009, 11:23 PM
You might even strike the "almost." Most guns are pretty accurate these days; the market requires that. But you have to see what you're aiming at.

Personally, I like the 3x9 scope format. I can't remember cranking it all the way up anywhere but the range, but it's nice to have the option.

hadmanysons
September 1, 2009, 01:54 AM
Ok. Back to the question. As I understand your question was about stocks and the part about scopes was to provide clarification about your gun experience. Right?

Yes, free floating and bedded stocks are a way to improve accuracy. It would seem odd that that two methods so opposed to each other, i.e. nothing touching the barrel vs. as much touching the barrel, could have the same results. As far as my research has taken me I've discovered that it depends on the rifle. On an AR-15 platform, a free-floating hand guard provides more accuracy. Where as on a Mosin-Nagant, i've heard that a fully bedded stock gives more accuracy. Anyway, there it is in a nutshell. Again, whatever works for you.

If you enjoyed reading about "Newbie Questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!