Inglorious Basterds, wonder if it's real?

PDA

PandaBearBG
August 31, 2009, 02:28 AM
Maybe I'm just crazy about this movie, great dialogue, brutally gruesome fight scenes, oh so graphic gore, perfect. I know it's a wild fantasy offspring or Q.T. movie genius and completely bogus but...... I was wondering the "punch guns/glove guns" towards the end in the theater, was there ever such a thing invented? It seemed to be some kinda homemade zip gun, manually cocked with the "punch compression" trigger! I know they seem wildly impractical, implausible, but WW2 was filled with so many oddities and people devised new guns and devices that maybe it is based on some kind of prototype? I just thought I would ask the combined might and unifed decades of experience of this community to clear this up for me!
This is the closest thing I could find and is kinda mean looking..

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_S4vBC-4dYZs/SbP-Ii8_sRI/AAAAAAAAB9w/KiqtNtYjh08/s400/KnuckledusterZipGun-01.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Inglorious Basterds, wonder if it's real?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
KaceCoyote
August 31, 2009, 03:17 AM
Yes, the glove guns are real. the OSS made some, but I dont think they had any significant utility.

http://throk.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/image2.png

Eightball
August 31, 2009, 05:38 PM
Yes, the glove guns are real. the OSS made some, but I dont think they had any significant utility. This. The "punch of death" was about their only real use......obviously a very limited application.

cyclopsshooter
August 31, 2009, 05:45 PM
wicked but strangely fascinating

Ron James
August 31, 2009, 05:53 PM
As stated, looks mean as hell, but never used in real life. In the movies, they can change history every how they like.

HB
August 31, 2009, 07:48 PM
I have seen the guns mentioned as well as a little belt buckle gun. The gun actually fires from your waist! Is that a gun in your pants are you just.... :D

Off topic, but that movie made me sick... not a fan of violence, and there was plenty of it

jaydubya
August 31, 2009, 08:54 PM
"that movie made me sick... not a fan of violence, and there was plenty of it"

+1 From the reviews I have read, I know I will never watch it. Never watched a Rambo movie either. I have six battle stars on my Vietnam Service Ribbon. I don't need that . . . . stuff.

Jack

sherman123
August 31, 2009, 09:00 PM
Very interesting. So how do you discharge that glove gun is there some kind of trigger device inside of it?

leadcounsel
August 31, 2009, 10:41 PM
It appears the glove discharges with a spring trigger that is triggered upon landing a successful punch.

stonecoldy
August 31, 2009, 11:12 PM
If you view the photo that Kace Coyote put up, it seemed as though the "plunger" that extends further out than the barrel was the trigger. The actors were shown loading them but it happened pretty quickly.
I enjoyed the movie. I'll watch it again on DVD.
My son works at a movie theater, so even if I watch a stinker, they are free for me :D

Jim K
September 3, 2009, 02:39 PM
According to statements by folks who should know, the story is pure fiction, as seems to be the case with just about anything having to do with the OSS or CIA (or most other espionage/sabotage organizations).

The glove guns, while something of a wild idea, were not made for the OSS, but for the Seabees. The Seabees (CB = Construction Battalions) were Navy units whose main duty was to construct or repair landing fields and other facilities on newly captured islands in the Pacific. They were armed but in the nature of the work their weapons were often out of reach. In some places, so the story goes, the Japanese were so close that they actually climbed on bulldozers and attacked the drivers. The glove gun was designed to be worn like any other worker's glove, but if the worker were attacked, he could fire a bullet and kill the enemy without having to locate his real weapon.

I suspect that, while there may have been some instance of such an attack, the frequency would not have warranted widespread issue of a rather dangerous device; like many other wartime ideas, it was a solution to a non-problem.

(Given the tendency of construction workers for friendly shoulder punches, IMHO the glove gun would perhaps not have been a good idea even if such Japanese attacks had been more common.)

Jim

MagnumDweeb
September 4, 2009, 08:41 AM
It's supposed to be a remake of an Italian movie made in the 70's. I'm going to wait till it comes out on DVD, and buy the Italian version(or at least hunt for it).

I guess I'm one of the few that sees little problem with killing Nazis. Throw Soviet NKVD in there as well, and I'm of the opinion that there are just folk in this world you can't do too much bad to. Cochroaches(*spelling I know), have a greater right to life, until they get crushed under my boot, than those folks. When I get the DVD, I'll pop some popcorn, and giggle and laugh with glee as those SOBs get what's coming to them. Any movie about killing Nazis or Jihadis is alright in my book.

rbernie
September 4, 2009, 08:52 AM
Talk about handguns? Check.

Talk about moooovies? There are other, more appropriate, places on the Internet for that.

If you enjoyed reading about "Inglorious Basterds, wonder if it's real?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!