Instructions for DIY Bullseye pistol box?

PDA

Justin
October 29, 2003, 10:43 AM
Does anyone know where I can get a set of instructions for a Do-It-Yourself pistol box? I've been shooting Bullseye pistol for awhile now, and have decided it's time to get one of those boxes.

Problem is I'm kinda short on cash. So I'd like to take a shot (no pun intended) at building my own.

So if anyone has a list of materials/costs, and instructions for building a box, that'd be tres cool.

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Instructions for DIY Bullseye pistol box?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Graystar
October 29, 2003, 11:58 AM
I asked this question in March and got no responses. I've been looking for a box plan for a long time and have never found one. I started to draw one up myself, but it actually turn out to be quite expensive to make because my design had drawers (more pricy wood needed.) I guess it depends on what materials you want to use. I was going to make my design from plywood. It would have cost about 70 bucks. In the end, I simply opted for a cheap $15 bag that has worked well for me. See it here:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20593

I get everything I need for bullseye in the bag. I have carried four guns in the cashbox. With red dots I'd only get two in there though. I use a good quality table top tripod for the scope. It works great and there's no bulky box in my way.

Aluminum
Online Metals has sheet aluminum. A .04" sheet of 5052, 36" x 48", is $19.24 and weighs 6.7 pounds. You'll need that amount at a minimum. Then you have to figure out how to cut it and bend it (or some other way of making a corner.)

http://www.onlinemetals.com/

Plywood
You'll need cabinet grade plywood. The thickness depends on how you'll make the corners. The high-end 1/8" thick plywood is extremely strong and stiff. You can join the corners with fiberglass tape and epoxy or cyano. Another thing to try is to glue the corners using basswood triangle stock. If you want to edge glue the corners you'll have to go thicker to 1/4" at least. Aircraft grade 1/8" thick plywood, 5 ply, 12"x48" is $11.70 and at least three sheets will be needed. 1/4" aircraft grade plywood, 5 ply, 12" x 48" cost $7.37 (oddly enough.) Low quality 1/4" plywood is not really unusable. It's hard to make the surface smooth, and the edges make weak joints.

http://www.balsausa.com

Good luck!

BluesBear
October 29, 2003, 10:16 PM
Are you set on an old school wooden bullseye box? or something that's just as good?

I just got the new MTM CaseGuard catalog and they have a lot of shooters boxes. If you go th their web site you can get a free catalog. I ordered mine about 11pm Monday night and it was in today's mail. (Wednesday)

Full colour and includes a price list.
You can order directly from them or check out someplace like Cheaper Than Dirt.

Khornet
October 30, 2003, 07:11 AM
published plans years ago. I don't remember which issue, but you could ask NRA.

rick_reno
October 30, 2003, 08:47 AM
Here are some http://nssa7va.freeyellow.com/gunbox.html

falconer
October 31, 2003, 10:49 PM
I don't like those boxes. They clutter up the bench and just generally get in the way. You need a case like the ones my team uses. Just pull out your gun and spotting scope and set them on the table. All your nonessential gear is not in the way. If you hadn't noticed, none of the collegiate international folks really use those save for ROTC people. Do I have to fly out to Colorado to straighten you out boy?

Standing Wolf
November 1, 2003, 09:25 PM
I had a thought: why not build a gun box out of Plexiglass or another clear plastic? I don't know how expensive the stuff is, but I'll bet you could glue it together, and it'd definitely be a unique item.

Crazy
November 2, 2003, 07:58 AM
Interesting comment there falconer, is your team shooting Bullseye? 99%+ of experienced Bullseye shooters use a similar box, go to any match, especially Perry, and have a look. Take a look in the latest Shooting Sports magazine. There's a few pictures from Camp Perry.
Crazy (yes, a bullseye shooter)

ps. the box is also great for blocking that stream of hot brass from the shooter to your left......

falconer
November 2, 2003, 01:13 PM
Crazy, my post was more or less an inside joke.

Justin and I used to shoot international bullseye together as members of opposing teams. Hence the irreverent tone of my post. However, I still do contend that those boxes get in the way and are unnecessary clutter. I've seen them used at various matches, but they seem to be in the minority in the international game.

Graystar
November 3, 2003, 06:51 AM
Here's something to try. I had been looking for a commercial box to use as a starting point for a range box. None of the tool boxes or storage boxes I saw seem to have the right demensions. However, I recently found boxes that might prove to be just the right size. They are power tool portage boxes. These are plain steel boxes designed to port around a circular saw, or any other power tool. They come in different sizes and with different lid configurations. Just a thought.

Justin
November 3, 2003, 11:39 PM
falconer- The biggest advantage to the box is that it acts as its own scope stand. But yeah, youse guys (and gals) have some verrrrry nice setups for pistol shootin' there.

I suppose that what I'd like to get would be something with hard sides as I've finally picked up a decent scope, and would like to keep it from getting damaged.

falconer
November 4, 2003, 09:54 PM
Justin, thats a mighty big scope stand. I know it may be hard to imagine, judging by the condition of my room when you were last here, but I really don't like clutter, especially in my shooting area. I'd rather have something that folds and fits inside my box.

By the way, we beat Westpoint Saturday. Only one cadet shot better than me in 25m, and thats with me shooting really poorly. I predict victory at nationals.

If you enjoyed reading about "Instructions for DIY Bullseye pistol box?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!