Handgun Techniques

PDA

dispatch55126
August 31, 2009, 11:58 AM
Question on handgun shooting techniques.

I have a compressed nerve in my neck which causes some shakes when I hold/aim my pistol. Rifle isn't bad as its heavy enough and I can pull it into my shoulder to counter the shakes. Besides getting a BB pistol and just practicing, is there anything else I can do to improve my stability?

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Handgun Techniques" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rjmckee
August 31, 2009, 11:32 PM
Dispatch:
Hey, My C2,C3, and C4 are blown with moderate stenosis & pinched nerves. C5-C7 are fused. L4-L5 also fused. I have a spinal neurostimulator added to the mix.
Are any of your shakes rhythmic or a pattern to them? I had mostly been shooting a S&W 459 9mm and my accuracy suffered in the past few years. I decided on a larger heavier gun combined with a technique that works for me.
I got a new Beretta 90-two. It has almost zero muzzle flip so follow-on shots are immediate.
Breath control, trigger squeeze, and closely watching the front sight during the shakes/quivers; When I see what looks like an anticipated shake coming I have at that time held my breath, squeezed off a round when the front sight was approaching my POA.
For me I have quivers (like fingers twitching but in my shoulder muscles) and more perceptible hand movement.
The heavier gun gave me more mass to hide or mask the shakes/tremors. Pistol target shooting had gotten frustrating before the larger gun. I love this new Dash because its weight/mass mask my movements or minimize them.
With the Smith shooting at 50 yards it truly was a hit or miss proposition shooting at the steel flip down targets. There are 3 target groups of 5 flippers each. The other day after shooting 7 and 15 yard targets I thought less see how I do at longer rangers. I was amazed. I blew down all 15 targets without an intervening miss, got all 15 with one mag!!
I was stunned. I hadn't shot like that in many years.
So for me, a heavier gun, and "anticipating muzzle movement" then squeezing the trigger worked. The only other change I incorporated was to use the 1st tip of my finger on the trigger versus sticking my finger almost through.
I am very happy. Please experiment with lighter/heavier guns and concentrating on catching the next spasm/twitch.
I am limited to 9mm as .40 and .45's hurt after a while.

Kurt S.
September 1, 2009, 01:55 PM
I have what's called Familial or Essential Tremor. It has gotten worse as the years go by. (thanks, Dad, you didn't leave me your smarts or gumption, at least I got this) I can and do take Inderal, a beta blocker which greatly improves things. Unfortunately, it was designed as a high blood pressure medication and I don't have high blood pressure. The effect I don't like is that it makes it difficult for me to get angry or excited :D (also, I can never be in the Olympics taking it :D ). I only use it occasionally.

Weight of the gun seems not to make a difference for me.

For me, using breath control and concentrating on my front sight works pretty well. However, I found that what helps most is constant practice. When I was shooting 4 or 5 sessions/month, each session 2-4 hours I was much better than I am now, shooting once or twice a month if I am lucky.

If you enjoyed reading about "Handgun Techniques" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!