Garand Gurus - Questions!!!

PDA

No Quarter
August 31, 2009, 07:28 PM
Ok, picking this up in another day or two. A "Tanker"Garand. I was able to shoot it first and the gun is a tack driver and very reliable. It is in the original 30.06 caliber.

Do any of you guys recognize who may have done the conversion on it? It appears to have been very well done and once again, no accuracy or reliability issues after a 200 round test drive.

The compensator up front does a nice job of taming the kick. It is a really sweet little rifle and I immediately liked it when I first saw it - doubly so after popping targets at 200 yards like they were sitting at 25.

I have attached pics for comments as well. Any insight or comments as to the manufacture date is welcome. I believe the receiver was made in March of 1945 but I could be wrong. I checked to see if maybe this was a welded receiver but so no sign of any weird metal finishing, grinding, etc.
I expect to buy a full size Garand from the CMP for Christmas along with a new M1 Carbine as well.

Thanks!

NQ

If you enjoyed reading about "Garand Gurus - Questions!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ian
August 31, 2009, 08:05 PM
You might check the right side of the barrel, where its hidden by the oprod when the bolt is closed. Lock the bolt open and look for a marking there. My tanker is an Arlington Ordnance conversion, and that's where they marked it.

Also, FWIW, that muzzle brake is made by Smith Enterprise. I have one as well, and really like it. You just don't want to stand next to someone shooting it. :)

If you want to make it really sweet, you could pick up an Amega Ranges forward scope mount and a Burris or Leupold pistol or scout scope. :cool:

CapnMac
August 31, 2009, 08:11 PM
I've always preferred the wood upper guard rather than the FPR M14 handguard.
But, that's me; others differ.

dfariswheel
August 31, 2009, 08:16 PM
Looks like an Arlington or Fed Ord conversion.
They were (sorry) lower quality conversions that didn't even bother to install a shortened wood upper hand guard to cover the op rod.

1KPerDay
August 31, 2009, 08:22 PM
If it's fed ord it should be marked on the barrel. Mine is. Pull back the op rod and/or remove the handguard and look there. right side

No Quarter
August 31, 2009, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I will check out the barrel for markings and post what I find. Not quite sure what would constitute a low quality vs. high quality version as the parkerizing is quite nice and the metal work appears to be well done. I am pretty new to the Garand thing. It is fun learning about something new.

As opposed to many handguns and rifles which I am intimately familiar with, I am starting to gain interest in military rifles. While this is not a classic garand in the true sense of the word, it is still a nice little rifle and I am enjoying learning the manual of arms, detail strip, history, etc.

Thanks again for the info so far. I am very pleased with it. Hope it keeps shooting as well as it did the first 200 rounds.

No Quarter
August 31, 2009, 09:27 PM
One other question.. since the fire control group, bolt and receiver are in great shape, I could always scout up a barrel, stock, etc and rebuild it back to original config right?

marsche
August 31, 2009, 11:25 PM
Springfield serial numbers from 3627442 to 3717867 were April 1945. Your receiver would fall into that category.

highorder
August 31, 2009, 11:54 PM
One other question.. since the fire control group, bolt and receiver are in great shape, I could always scout up a barrel, stock, etc and rebuild it back to original config right?

You sure could, and another angel will get their wings. :)

jpwilly
September 1, 2009, 01:39 AM

Just send that fire breathing dragon my way...what do you want for it?

goofy grape
September 1, 2009, 01:47 AM
Has anyone shaved out some wood for their forward grip to make the barrel free floating? Thinking of doing that since my group goes high and right as the barrel heats up.

No Quarter
September 1, 2009, 06:40 PM
Well... no Arlington Arms marking on the side of the barrel... the mystery continues... I did get a good look down the barrel though. Really sharp rifling the full length. It is in outstanding condition. That would explain the accuracy I have experienced fro her thus far. Springfield barrel so the carpet matches the drapes so to speak. Shame that it was cut down now that I think about it. All I would have had to do was score a SA bolt and trigger group and I would have had a nice full springer Garand...

Orlando
September 1, 2009, 07:07 PM
No sense dumping any more money into it. It will not increase the value any.
It would also cost more than itwould be worth to turn it bakc into a Garand configuration.
If shots are stringing as barrel heats up its not a stock fit but other problems.
On a Garand handguard s fitting tight will make shots string as barrel warms up
If it were a stock fit it would shoot off when barrel was cool

goofy grape
September 2, 2009, 01:02 AM
Some old timers from WWII days were telling me that if you shaved a bit from either the forward stock or upper handguard, you would continue to shoot on target as the barrel got hot and expanded. Was just curious.

Orlando
September 2, 2009, 07:35 AM
Yes on a wood handguard that is binding (it is suppose to be loose) On his rifle who knows?

If you enjoyed reading about "Garand Gurus - Questions!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!