PTR steel lower question...

PDA

Wolfsburg
September 1, 2009, 02:16 AM
I'm thinking about buying a clipped and pinned steel lower for my PTR but from looking at the pics I've seen, I don't understand how the stock attaches to them. On the "Navy" style polymer lowers there are two holes for the two buttstock pins to go through, but the steel lowers don't seem to have these. How does this work? Do steel lowers require a special type of buttstock?

If you enjoyed reading about "PTR steel lower question..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Shear_stress
September 1, 2009, 08:13 AM
The steel lower doesn't have the holes, but has a "tail" that goes inside and is retained by the sheetmetal portion of the stock.

Wolfsburg
September 1, 2009, 01:49 PM
Hmm, so is it only held on by friction? I guess I don't understand how the buttstock stays put without those pins holding it onto the lower.

Shear_stress
September 1, 2009, 03:12 PM
The lower goes on first. The stock then fits over the tail of the lower, pressing the lower tight against the receiver. The pins then go in, retaining the buttstock. The lower can't be removed without removing the pins and stock.

Wolfsburg
September 1, 2009, 03:34 PM
I guess I need to break the gun back down and look at how all that integrates together. I recently put a wood buttstock on the PTR and while the metal stock ferrule slips over the rear receiver and lower, the pins also seem to hold it tightly in place by going through another set of holes in the tail of the lower. Since the metal lowers don't seem to have these holes, what is keeping the stock secured, other than friction?

If you enjoyed reading about "PTR steel lower question..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!