Hiding A Gun Safe?

PDA

chiselchst
September 1, 2009, 08:30 AM
I am currently installing an average size gun safe, and will attempt to make it slighten hidden behind a false door (and tied in to my home alarm system).

I got some good ideas here....http://hiddendoors.com/galleryThumb.asp?category=13

Anyone ever considered this? Seems like a pretty good idea if basic installation allows?

There are some pretty simple methods, should you locate you safe in a closet type installation....

Any thoughts?

If you enjoyed reading about "Hiding A Gun Safe?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Runflat
September 3, 2009, 09:56 PM
My friend has done a few things like that in his basement when he redid it. One works really while the other 3 installations are causing him headaches.

Eschaton
September 3, 2009, 09:59 PM
I'm going to get those hidden doors and put them all over my house just to mess with people.

bigfatdave
September 3, 2009, 10:08 PM
If you can do the carpentry well, and make it simple/reliable - go for it.
As a utter failure of a carpenter, I'd always planned on putting the safe in an old fridge or other large appliance's shell.

NVMM
September 3, 2009, 11:16 PM
Those look really cool. But when you open the Hidden Door will there be enough space (clearance) to fully open the safe door?
Can't tell by looking at the pictures.

Country_boy_88
September 3, 2009, 11:58 PM
my brother in law sank his into the wall when he was framing up his wall. hes going to build some kind of basic shelf to cover it. looks real good.
can you see it?
http://hphotos-snc1.fbcdn.net/hs188.snc1/6296_262093285159_665785159_8479286_2881620_n.jpg

Fast Frank
September 4, 2009, 12:32 AM
Probably the best reason to hide your gunsafe is to keep casual conversation about your guns down to a minimum.

When the neighbor pops in to borrow a cup of sugar, it gives her something to gossip about. "And then I saw Joe's gunsafe! Gosh, I bet he's got some very expensive guns to make him buy that big safe!" She will call everybody she knows, and tell them about your safe, and who's doing who, and the other neighbors fight, and whatever else she knows, because that's her life and it's what she does. It will be common knowledge in two days if that happens, and somebody evil might hear that gossip!

Keeping your mouth shut is a good idea too. Showing that new rifle off because you are proud of it is NOT a good idea.

You don't need to try to hide the safe from the bad guys that break in... After gaining entry to your house,they will find it no matter how well it's hidden. You are counting on the strength of the safe to keep them out.

So, with that thought in mind... probably the best and easiest thing to do is to put that safe in a closet where casual guests won't be able to see it.

That big walk in closet in the master bedroom is ideal.

Sure, a trick concealed sliding wall is cool, but it's not one little bit more secure that the closet, and the closet is a whole bunch cheaper and easier.

Try to bolt it down real solid, and situate it so that it will be hard to get leverage on it or tie a truck to it.

If the bad guys can't get in it, they will try to drag it out. If that fails, they move on with taking what they can get quickly.

When that happens, You have won.

chiselchst
September 4, 2009, 08:12 AM
Fast Frank Stated Probably the best reason to hide your gunsafe is to keep casual conversation about your guns down to a minimum.

When the neighbor pops in to borrow a cup of sugar, it gives her something to gossip about. "And then I saw Joe's gunsafe! Gosh, I bet he's got some very expensive guns to make him buy that big safe!" She will call everybody she knows, and tell them about your safe, and who's doing who, and the other neighbors fight, and whatever else she knows, because that's her life and it's what she does. It will be common knowledge in two days if that happens, and somebody evil might hear that gossip!

Keeping your mouth shut is a good idea too. Showing that new rifle off because you are proud of it is NOT a good idea.

You don't need to try to hide the safe from the bad guys that break in... After gaining entry to your house,they will find it no matter how well it's hidden. You are counting on the strength of the safe to keep them out.

So, with that thought in mind... probably the best and easiest thing to do is to put that safe in a closet where casual guests won't be able to see it.

That big walk in closet in the master bedroom is ideal.

Sure, a trick concealed sliding wall is cool, but it's not one little bit more secure that the closet, and the closet is a whole bunch cheaper and easier.

Try to bolt it down real solid, and situate it so that it will be hard to get leverage on it or tie a truck to it.

If the bad guys can't get in it, they will try to drag it out. If that fails, they move on with taking what they can get quickly.

When that happens, You have won.

Fast Frank, thanks for the reply. I agree with the jist of your post. The safe will be located in a bedroom closet, in a location that is not even visible if that rooms door is open fully. Yet I wanted a small edge. So I do plan on having a semi hidden wall, hinged like the doors sited (not a sliding door?), with a blank textured & trimmed sheetrock wall. Ya, it won't hide it completely (if you look REAL close), but will provide some additional protection.

In addition to purchasing a very good fire resistant safe (Sturdy Safe), I also went further lining the closet with 3 layers of 5/8" Type "X" fire-rock on the floor, and one 5/8" layer TYpe "X" on the walls & ceiling. In addition, the false wall will be alarmed, as is the property including recorded video survelience (and IR cameras). The safe will be bolted to the floor. I just now thought of mounting the HD video recorder in the safe!

Thus, this is simply a deterant...

My primary concern is the fire protection of antique charts from the mid 1800's. And a few guns, not many compared to the folks here, LOL.

I also supported the 2x12 joist under tha safe location with 4x6 supports using adjustable housing jacks.

I'm am a fool for over-kill, as I guess you can imagine, LOL...

heeler
September 4, 2009, 09:10 AM
I pretty much agree that unless the safe is very cleverly hidden the theif that enters your house will find it.
I have mentioned here before that every time my home was burglarized(3 times in 30 years) they always went through each and every closet and always emptied the contents of my dresser drawers looking for hidden things.
So unless he/they already know about your gun safe most likely when they come across it they wont be getting in unless you have foolishly provided them the necessary tools to brute force their way in.
It's what they might have planned over the next few weeks to come you have to sweat out.

rjewell
September 8, 2009, 11:23 PM
just rebuild the house around it so you would have to remove walls to get it out..

Speedo66
September 11, 2009, 12:17 PM
The only problem with those doors is, like the pharaohs used to do, you'll have to kill everyone who installed them to keep them secret. :rolleyes:

Maverick223
September 11, 2009, 03:36 PM
I love hidden doors, they look better and add interest to the house. I plan to do something similar when I build my house, using them in various locations throughout the home. I plan to build a vault in the basement that is outside of the footprint of the house and has a well concealed door in front of the vault door. I also intend to cut out a small corner of the basement to appear to be a hidden room where there is none. ;) Will it work...I think so, will it matter...hopefully not, as the vault door should keep out any unsavory people. :)

ColinthePilot
September 11, 2009, 09:46 PM
She will call everybody she knows, and tell them about your safe, and who's doing who, and the other neighbors fight, and whatever else she knows, because that's her life and it's what she does.

If the bad guys can't get in it, they will try to drag it out.

So, you don't want Susie Homemaker knowing you have guns because she'll tell everyone, but then she keeps her mouth shut while a crew backs a truck up to your front window, breaks the window, throws a chain around your safe, and tears up your lawn trying to drag it out?

If you enjoyed reading about "Hiding A Gun Safe?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!