Custom Rifle Stocks

PDA

Soap
October 29, 2003, 01:38 PM
I'm looking to get a custom rifle stock done for my Remington 700 BDL. I would like to get it in flame maple or in walnut with the flame grain. The only bells and whistles I want are a steel buttplate, steel fore-end cap, sling swivel mounts inletted into the stock, and an ebony forend. Does anyone know who can make me such a stock and/or approximate cost? I don't want to go with Joe Bob Yer Local Gunsmith. I was thinking David Miller but I can only imagine that he has a long backlog.

If you enjoyed reading about "Custom Rifle Stocks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Larry Ashcraft
October 29, 2003, 01:58 PM
Ed Shulen at Trinidad State Junior College is one of the best, if he's still working. He teaches stockmaking there. I saw his portfolio several years ago and was absolutely amazed not only at his work, but who he has done the work for.

He bedded a rifle for me about 16-18 years ago, but I couldn't afford his finishing and checkering.

Clemson
October 30, 2003, 10:38 AM
Try Wenig. www.wenig.com

Soap
October 30, 2003, 09:18 PM
Thanks!

nextjoe
October 30, 2003, 11:36 PM
http://www.acgg.org/

Lots of the best stockmakers in the country are members of the American Custom Gunmakers Guild. You can download a member list from their site.

If you want a true custom stock, carved by hand from a really nice blank, you're talking BIG bucks. Like $2k or more.

If you want one made from a pattern, one of the places like Wenig or Great American Gun Stock Co (I think that's the right name) can make one for a whole lot less.

Best,
Joe

If you enjoyed reading about "Custom Rifle Stocks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!