How to Lighten Savage-Steven's Cadet Trigger

PDA

Temp430
September 1, 2009, 02:22 PM
I looked around quite a bit and settled on a Savage Steven's Cadet .22 bolt action for my 7 and 9 year old sons to learn marksmanship. The length of pull is perfect for a youngster. Unlike the Savage Cub it does not have the Accutrigger which seemed like overkill to me for this type of firearm. However, the Cadet's trigger was a little heavy and the gunsmith suggested that I could lighten it as follows:

1. Fire a round and leave the case in the chamber.
2. Raise and then lower the bolt handle without ejecting the shell to cock.
3. Pull the trigger to strike the empty case while pushing on the back of the bolt as hard as you can with your thumb.
4. Doing this once was enough.

I was amazed how much this lightened the trigger. Just thought I'd pass this little trick along.

If you enjoyed reading about "How to Lighten Savage-Steven's Cadet Trigger" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sam1911
September 1, 2009, 02:33 PM
This is the same idea as "boosting the hammer" which is a common kitchen table gunsmith trick. The idea is to greatly increase the pressure on the sear engagement surfaces for a few shots in order to speed up the natural polishing of those parts due to wear. It can help with knocking off burrs and rough spots left over from the manufacturing process.

As with anything else, overdoing it with too much pressure can certainly damage those edges, so go gently.

I'm a little surprised (alarmed, even!) that it helped your rifle to such a noticable degree. But, if you test it to make sure it still functions safely, then good job!

-Sam

If you enjoyed reading about "How to Lighten Savage-Steven's Cadet Trigger" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!