Most likely a stupid question waiting for a stupid answer...

PDA

ScareyH22A
September 1, 2009, 08:14 PM
I was wondering. If I was sleeping in bed and heard someone trying to break in, and I got up to grab my gun, I realized that I would be in my boxers and wouldn't have a place to put my spare mag. (No, that place is not an option.)

Does anyone have a clever idea for this dilemma? Something that doesn't require putting on a belt and holster? Possibly a slip on wrist band thingamabob with a mag pouch sewn in or something?

I know that mag changes would be a lot slower than with a proper mag holder on a gun belt but I'm talking about possibly fighting in my boxers here.

If you enjoyed reading about "Most likely a stupid question waiting for a stupid answer..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rontherunner
September 1, 2009, 08:31 PM
Maybe sew a pocket onto a ballcap of some sort, that you can quickly slip on?

ScareyH22A
September 1, 2009, 08:35 PM
Maybe there would be a market for tactical underwear, specifically for situations like this. :p

N003k
September 1, 2009, 08:37 PM
Well....you can invest in a higher cap pistol, or keep an AR with a mag in and an extra mag coupled...

Maybe get a drum magazine? They make them for a few pistols....

I can't really think of any other solutions then sleeping in shorts with pockets though and dumping the spare mag(s) in your pocket.

kingpin008
September 1, 2009, 08:42 PM
With the hand that's actually gripping the pistol, stick the spare mag in between your pinky and ring finger. This will not change your firing grip too much, and the spare mag is in perfect position for a quick mag change if necessary.

Or, assuming that you're utilizing a proper push-pull grip on the pistol, stick the spare mag in between the ring and middle fingers of your supporting hand, baseplate facing towards you. This way, the mag lays against the underside of the barrel, with the pressure of your "pull" hand making sure it's held securely. All you have to do to effect a mag change in this situation is drop the empty mag, drop your "pull" hand, insert mag, and get back in the fight.

Does any of that make sense?

ScareyH22A
September 1, 2009, 08:44 PM
I need to practice that. Thanks!

wyocarp
September 1, 2009, 08:45 PM
How many mags does one need for the average intruder?

Blackbeard
If there are so many people breaking in that you need two mags, you shouldn't be moving toward them. Hole up in your bedroom with the phone and all of your mags. Problem solved.

kwelz
Get an AR with a Redi-Mag. It solves your problem.

trigun87
September 1, 2009, 08:46 PM
If you have a normal hi cap pistol or ar, i dont think you would need spare mag. unless you plan on missing.

cyclopsshooter
September 1, 2009, 08:48 PM
if you need more than three bullets you will likely be dead- keep both hands on the gun and go

MattTheHat
September 1, 2009, 08:49 PM
"Springfield XDm 9mm. Because 19+1 really oughtta do it."

-Matt

KenWP
September 1, 2009, 08:52 PM
I am trying to figure out what the extra clip would be for anyways. If that many people are breaking in they will be coming in from all sides and you better be good to get them all anyways. If it took more then one shot to run off a intruder they must be desparate to get in.

1987rx7guy
September 1, 2009, 08:54 PM
I was wondering. If I was sleeping in bed and heard someone trying to break in, and I got up to grab my gun, I realized that I would be in my boxers and wouldn't have a place to put my spare mag. (No, the ass is not an option.)

Well....you can invest in a higher cap pistol, or keep an AR with a mag in and an extra mag coupled...

Maybe get a drum magazine? They make them for a few pistols....

Drum magazine?!!?!? :uhoh:

Yea if you are still fighting it out after a spent magazine, unless its a 1911, you are probably in some Olympic sized doo doo! :what:

And as stated above even my choice handgun the XDm .40 16+1 should be enough...

kingpin008
September 1, 2009, 08:55 PM
If there are so many people breaking in that you need two mags, you shouldn't be moving toward them. Hole up in your bedroom with the phone and all of your mags. Problem solved.

This was going to be my first response as well, and in general, I agree. However, for the sake of argument, let's look at it like this:

While it is extremely unlikely that you would come across so many intruders in your home as to warrant more than one mag's worth of ammo, a spare mag would most definitely come in handy in the case of a malfunction. And I don't know about you, but if I'm fresh from a deep sleep trying to fight the sudden dump of adrenaline and searching and listening for noises in the dark I might not be paying 100% attention to whether or not I have a proper grip on my pistol, or making sure my thumb isn't riding the slide, or that when I jacked the slide I didn't accidentally cause a double-feed.

In that case, having a spare mag ready at hand to replace the original after a clearance drill could very well save my life. And if I'm able to carry that spare mag with me without altering my grip or wasting time strapping on any extraneous gunbelts or wristbands or special undies, all the more to the good, ya know?

jakemccoy
September 1, 2009, 09:16 PM
I can't think of a solution to the original question, but...

Wearing boxers in this situation is basically the same thing as being naked. Yeah, get that visual. You're totally vulnerable. You should imagine that, with a violent intruder in your home, your home is about as safe as the yard in San Quentin State Prison but with no guards around. Don't let the fact that it's familiar territory lull you into a false sense of security. If I start thinking about clearing my house while I'm naked, I hope a good friend would be there to spray some water in my face to snap me out of it.

cslinger
September 1, 2009, 09:19 PM
2 words. Belt Fed.

chevyforlife21
September 1, 2009, 09:20 PM
tuck the spare magazine in the side of ur wasteband lol

Frank Ettin
September 1, 2009, 09:24 PM
I'd just keep the spare magazine with me on the floor behind my cover. If I suspect I've got intruders, and if all authorized persons in the house are accounted for and in the safe room with me, I'm not going anywhere.

House clearing is a dangerous activity to be avoided whenever possible. Trained people who do it for a living do it in teams, not solo if at all possible.

If you go looking for an intruder, the intruder has an enormous tactical advantage. He jsut has to wait for you so he can ambush you. There may be more than one intruder, and while you're looking for one the other can be taking hostages. You can also easily be flanked.

Black Knight
September 1, 2009, 09:28 PM
Try a shoulder holster. You have the pistol and spare mags right there. You hear something, get up, throw the shoulder rig on, grab a flashlight and go. Doing all this should also give you time to wake up fully, so you don't shoot a family member by mistake. Good luck finding the solution that works for you.

Six
September 1, 2009, 09:28 PM
Magazines malfunction.

I keep a heavy belt with a holster and a magazine holder attached to it next to a t-shirt and some shorts.

Six
September 1, 2009, 09:29 PM
By the way, what's wrong with just some shorts and keeping the spare mag in a pocket?

Hokkmike
September 1, 2009, 09:37 PM
Take the gun with one magazine in it and be glad you are ready.

wrs840
This is why I like a 9mm with 17+1 for HD as one option for the very-possible likely scenario that I'm in boxer shorts, (time constraints, ya know) and convinced a threat is already in the house. I've got kids that maybe aren't in "the safe room" yet. My wife's there with a shotgun and a phone, I ain't "clearing a house", but I've got a potential shepherding of kids to do. I'll take the odds on that one.

Go ahead, beat me for being stupid.

Les

DHJenkins
Carry it like you would your flashlight.

kda
September 1, 2009, 09:52 PM
Buy a set of Laser Grips (I like Crimson Trace - CT) for your pistol / revolver. Then, the fact that you may not be able to use your iron sights won't be a hindrance. Just paint the BG (or bad guys) red and game over. One clip will be more than enough.

You can even hold your weapon low, close to you or poke it around a corner with one eye showing and easily hit your target ... exposing yourself enough to get a normal sight pattern is not required. CT gives away a great CDs with use suggestions / training ideas free. Write for it. It will extend the usefulness of your handgun dramatically.

Yeah, I know, there are those who pooh-pooh laser sights. But I can find folks still denying the usefulness of the internal combustion engine. Let them rattle on, uninformed. For my part, I want as much going for me and my family as possible ... if something like this happens to me.

Train with your normal sights, but every so often, use the laser sights and be prepared to be amazed at the stunning accuracy with which you can shoot. I've made a lot of converts when I've had folks watch that CD and handle my handguns, all of which are CT equipped. Prices have fallen for CT Laser grips ... not the financial burden they once were.

And NO, I don't work for them, sell anything for CT or any of that. Just retired and looking out as best I can for my wife and I.

rs999
September 1, 2009, 09:54 PM
If your bed gun is a Glock, why not try a 30 round mag?

jcwit
September 1, 2009, 10:04 PM
If the 1st 8 don't cut it I don't think I'll have any use for the 2nd 8.

Officers'Wife
September 1, 2009, 10:14 PM
This sounds too much like the story my Dad tells of his brother hearing thieves in his gasoline storage at three am. Supposedly my uncle came running out of the house with his BVD's and a 45-70 Marlin. In a pinch said uncle would have left the BVDs.

Seriously, unless the intruders are serious meth users the idea you are committed enough to defend your home in your undies will give them reason enough to believe you are not inclined to warning shots and leave at a high rate of speed. If they are meth users the spare mag isn't going to do you much good anyway.

Item last: there are no stupid questions only unasked questions.

CredoUtIntelligam
September 1, 2009, 10:16 PM
Assuming you specifically want a *device* to fill this role:

Get a fanny pack. You could sew some mag specific pouches in it, maybe?

Draw it tight, and it should stay on you well enough for room to room concerns.

Anyways, it's cheap, and if you're seriously considering engaging a home intruder in your skivvies then I doubt very much you, the family, or the bad guy will be all that worried about the potential De-Masculinizing* effects of said packs.

*No it isn't a word. Yes it should be.

ETA: The more I think about it, the better of an idea it sounds. Flashlight and cellphone would likely also fit easily enough in there. Something I may have to bounce around upstairs for my own home use...

KenWP
September 1, 2009, 10:24 PM
The chances of ever needing one mag are pretty high so that if it happend a person better buy a lottery ticket also. Has anybody ever heard of anybody actually in real life getting broken into like this. I am also wondering why you can't just carry a extra mag in the other hand. Unless you have some kind of hand cannon that needs two hands I have yet to see one that needs both hands anyways especially in the confines of a house where your in spitting distance.

Zach S
September 1, 2009, 10:32 PM
Spare mags are always a good idea. You carry a spare tire in your car because tires are the weakest link. Mags are the weak link in firearms.

You could get a shoulder holster just to throw on if something does go bump in the night.

kingpin008
September 1, 2009, 10:39 PM
Seriously, unless the intruders are serious meth users the idea you are committed enough to defend your home in your undies will give them reason enough to believe you are not inclined to warning shots and leave at a high rate of speed.

No offense, but this rates up there with "Just racking a shotgun will send badguys running" and other famously nonsensical statements.

If it's night time, what else am I supposed to be defending my home in? I'm not generally in the habit of tucking myself into bed at night wearing a three-piece versace suit with tails and tophat (no matter how sexy my fiancee tells me I look in it.).

Seriously. Go take a poll of criminals convicted of home invasions, and ask them how many times they were sent running by a startled homeowner who caught them in the act. Then ask them if it was the sight of said homeowner running after them in their unmentionables, or the fact that they had a pistol or shotgun in their hands that convinced them to vamoose. I bet I know which option they're gonna choose.

cchris
September 1, 2009, 11:25 PM
Honestly, if it was someone I didn't expect that may/may not be an intruder (I live in a college town, so ya never know - might be a drunk person stumbling in the wrong door), I'd hit 'em with one of those million candlepower flashlights. It blinds you for at least a second, long enough for you to identify them.

Paul82
September 1, 2009, 11:33 PM
Well if your using a mag, like AK47 mag or AR-15 mag you can duck tape them together like they do in the movies/video games. Even a .22 10-15 round mag can be ducktaped together in place.

chuckusaret
September 1, 2009, 11:38 PM
If I should need more than 12 rounds it is time to take up a defensive position or retreat

cslinger
September 1, 2009, 11:43 PM
You know this reminds me of a good friend of mine who recently passed, RIP Ray, that looked like the stereotypical Hells Angels biker. Big, Strong guy, long hair, beard, your basic Viking/Klingon hybrid kind of dude, although with a heart of gold (Don't judge books.......).

At any rate he had a thing for medieval weapons and his favorite was a good sized double bladed battle axe. We got to talking one day and I just got to thinking and brought up the fact that if I run down the stairs in my BVD's with 9mm handgun I MIGHT scare off an intruder. If he runs down the stairs screaming bloody murder in his BVD's with a friggen battle axe he was gonna scare the bejuzzus out of just about anybody and make them rethink breaking into the crazy viking's house.

Sorry about the drift, just felt the need to share as we miss him terribly.

Chris

ThrottleJockey72
September 2, 2009, 12:00 AM
At any rate he had a thing for medieval weapons and his favorite was a good sized double bladed battle axe. We got to talking one day and I just got to thinking and brought up the fact that if I run down the stairs in my BVD's with 9mm handgun I MIGHT scare off an intruder. If he runs down the stairs screaming bloody murder in his BVD's with a friggen battle axe he was gonna scare the bejuzzus out of just about anybody and make them rethink breaking into the crazy viking's house.

LOL, I get the funniest mental image from this, Oleg should use it. Sorry about his loss, sounds like he was a fun guy.

Dannix
September 2, 2009, 12:35 AM
Just go dual gun, Chow Yun Fat style. ;)

Seriously though, if you are really concerned about it and it's a pistol you are referring to, you may want to pickup a Saiga12 with two 10/12rounders duck-taped together.

jojo200517
September 2, 2009, 01:10 AM
To all the people that say you never need more than one mag I wish you good luck. You never know when a malfunction can take place.

That being said, 1 in the chamber 5 in the tube, 5 more in the holder on the stock. *in billy mays voice* "it has pump and go action"

My pistol stays in car, and yeah there is a spare mag right beside it in the center too. Ya never know 11 rounds of .45 might not be enough, that is what the other 10 are for. Hope i'm never that far up **** creek but i'd rather be ready none the less.

gunnutery
September 2, 2009, 01:42 AM
Hows about a shoulder holster? It would be fairly silent and nylon ones aren't too expensive if that's an issue.

Dravur
September 2, 2009, 01:45 AM
How about this....

ON a spare mage, glue a ring or similar to the bottom and loop a cord through it.

Now you have a necklace and you can toss it over your head. Make the cord so it easily breaks and you can grab the mag, give it a tug and Bob's your uncle.

Might work...

Birdmang
September 2, 2009, 01:46 AM
So much for sleeping in my birthday suit!

c919
September 2, 2009, 02:40 AM
Ok I have solution. Sort of....

This may or may not hold up against lot's of Walker Texas Ranger somersaults, but it's an idea that popped into my head awhile back for the same purpose of which you inquire.

I know this is a really goofy way to start a recommendation response to a tactical question, but the minute I read your question I thought of the way my wife carries her phone..... I know, I know.... Hear me out....

When she's hangin around the house at night she often wears boxers for PJ bottom's (as I'm sure many of your SO's do as well), and she has a habit of toting around her cell phone as well (as I'm sure many of your SO's do as well). So here's her method: she rolls the waistband by folding it down over the phone, thus holding the phone above the folded-over portion of the waistband. It's actually a decently secure way to carry smaller objects.

I know that's one obscure answer to your question.... but hey, it's better than trying to just simply tuck it in your waistband or carrying it in hand. It's probably what I would do with my spare mag as well (if I felt the need to bring it out of my room).

ScareyH22A
September 2, 2009, 02:58 AM
I tried the spare mag between my finger thing and it's surprisingly effective! The cellphone carry in the waistband...

armoredman
September 2, 2009, 03:15 AM
Finally a use for Thunderwear! :)

psychogoc
September 2, 2009, 03:21 AM
That would be pretty darn funny (not so much for the bad guy)! You come out wearing nothing but a hat. Explain that one to the cops when they get there!

cchris
September 2, 2009, 03:30 AM
That would be pretty darn funny (not so much for the bad guy)! You come out wearing nothing but a hat. Explain that one to the cops when they get there!

Reminds me of a guy I knew a few years ago (okay, so a while back) when I was living in a dorm. Some people down our hall were being loud, so this guy comes out of the shower, puts on his cowboy boots and a hat, and walks down the hallway away from them. Needless to say there was a full moon that night.

So if you do go with the boots-and-hat-only approach, strap a mag to your boots.

ironcode
September 2, 2009, 06:03 AM
Get a Glock. If you're really worried that 15+1 (G19) or 17+1 (G17) rounds are not enough, get one of those 33-round magazines. 33+1 should be enough for any situation (or if not - you're screwed, and not because of mag capacity).

Jed Carter
September 2, 2009, 06:09 AM
If you are looking for a Stupid answer then this forum is the right place.
If you can't kill them with 15- 17 rounds then God want's you dead.

Revolver Ocelot
September 2, 2009, 06:23 AM
I recall a thread about something like this once, I believe everyone agreed that leaving the magazine in your underwear was the best option (if the ass is out ofcourse).

however if you are uncomortable with this you can always levae the magazine by the gun and grab it as you get up.

If you can't kill them with 15- 17 rounds then God want's you dead.

sounds about right.....

middy
September 2, 2009, 10:50 AM
An extra mag is for insurance against failure, for me.

Get a revolver.

kingpin008
September 2, 2009, 12:53 PM
If you are looking for a Stupid answer then this forum is the right place. If you can't kill them with 15- 17 rounds then God want's you dead.

Get a Glock. If you're really worried that 15+1 (G19) or 17+1 (G17) rounds are not enough, get one of those 33-round magazines. 33+1 should be enough for any situation. (or if not - you're screwed, and not because of mag capacity)

If ya'll had bothered to read the preceding posts in the thread, you'd have seen that it's not always about "needing" X number of rounds. Sometimes guns jam, and having a backup mag to swap out in a pinch could be the difference between life and death.

And FWIW, I was always told that God helps those who help themselves. I'd like to think that by bringing along an extra mag, I'm "helping myself" by making sure I have a way to get myself back in the fight if need be.

bri
September 2, 2009, 12:57 PM
I'd just keep the spare magazine with me on the floor behind my cover. If I suspect I've got intruders, and if all authorized persons in the house are accounted for and in the safe room with me, I'm not going anywhere.

House clearing is a dangerous activity to be avoided whenever possible. Trained people who do it for a living do it in teams, not solo if at all possible.

If you go looking for an intruder, the intruder has an enormous tactical advantage. He jsut has to wait for you so he can ambush you. There may be more than one intruder, and while you're looking for one the other can be taking hostages. You can also easily be flanked.
Exactly what came to my mind, couldn't have stated it better.

Keep your family and yourself safe, stay put and defend your safe room.

B yond
September 2, 2009, 01:00 PM
You have options-

-If your magazine is light enough tuck it into your waistband

-Switch to briefs (there's a pocket inside the flap and under your 'junk' that will hold a magazine, or even a small pistol, quite well) :cool:

-Get a high(er) capacity magazine and don't worry about a spare

-Carry the spare between the pinky and ring finger of your weak hand

-Glue two magazines together at the baseplate so if one runs dry you can just flip and re-insert

-forget the extra and don't miss :scrutiny:

bearmgc
September 2, 2009, 01:25 PM
WyoCarp said it well. Too much Mallninja sentiments for my liking. Its an intruder, not an army......besides, the intention to fill an intruder full of holes, construed by the extra mags carried, may not bode well in a court of law, to decide whether it was self defense or something else.

mljdeckard
September 2, 2009, 01:29 PM
I'm with DHJenkins. Carry it like a flashlight. I do occasionally train to draw and hold a spare magazine. Where I carry a 1911, it's not a bad idea to have the next magazine ready, or at least be ready to grab it quickly. Do it all the time? Not necessarily. Know how to do it? Can't be a bad idea.

To be perfectly honest, I'll add it to the list of reasons I use a rifle or shotgun for HD.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
September 2, 2009, 01:37 PM
Does anyone have a clever idea for this dilemma?

Yes, a SafariLand "Gun-Quik" shoulder holster with spare mag pouch and pistol both - or a similar shoulder holster. :)

This thread belongs in Handguns - General.

kingpin008
September 2, 2009, 01:45 PM
besides, the intention to fill an intruder full of holes, construed by the extra mags carried, may not bode well in a court of law

The "intention" is to stop the threat, period. If that means I have to "fill them full of holes", so be it. If pointing my pistol at them and commanding them to leave does the trick and I don't have to shoot them, well, that's fantastic.

And if you're questioned about the extra mag you were carrying at the time, all you have to do is tell the truth - you were facing a potentially deadly situation with an unknown intruder(s), and you grabbed an extra mag because your prior practice and training with firearms included emergency malfunction drills should one arise in a self defense situation.

The prosecotor can argue all day that your true intent was to leave a bullet-riddled corpse for the police, but unless that actually happens, they're not going to get far with it.

And besides all that - I'd much rather have a spare mag handy and explain to the judge and jury why I had it, than not have one handy and end up dead because my pistol jammed and the badguy got the drop on me.

Vern Humphrey
September 2, 2009, 02:22 PM
If I suspect there's an intruder in the house, I don't bother with a handgun. I pick up my shotgun with a full magazine and a side saddle carrier

el gato
September 2, 2009, 02:29 PM
Remington 870 12ga 5 rounds 3"mag #2 shot. Put 5 more on the receiver or on the stock. Use one reload one, although I dont really think it would be necessary.

Lakeshore
September 2, 2009, 02:30 PM
Once you start shooting indoors in the dark in the middle of the night you'll be putting on one hellacious sound and light show. Under those circumstances the threat will likely be eliminated well before you use the first mag.

Superlite27
September 2, 2009, 02:41 PM
Spare mag is a little down on my list.

The first thing I want is a pair of shoes on my feet.

Yes, the gun seems to be the first thing everyone thinks of. "What's good for HD?" "What caliber for burglar?" "Auto or revolver?"......

It's not just the gun that will save your hide, it's the whole package.

I don't want to go into bullets flying without good traction. Bare feet don't work so well with broken glass, strewn furnature, and gravel if I have to go outside. There's never any guarantees. Being able to stay inside isn't guaranteed, so staying on nice soft carpeting isn't either.

I have a pair of shorts with spare shells, a knife, a spare flashlight, and a spare mag for the pistol (even though the plan calls for the shotgun), along with a solid set of side-zip (quicker than lacing) hiking boots, my FN SLP, and a bandolier next to the bed.

If I hear a crash, the shorts and boots go on before I ever leave the room.

It's amazing how quickly it's possible to do this. We're talking 10 seconds.

If I do run into some serious crap, I'm pretty sure this 10 second delay will be well worth it.

Vibe
September 2, 2009, 02:56 PM
Sleep in the nude and use the time they spend gawking for better shot placement.

Vern Humphrey
September 2, 2009, 03:20 PM
Remington 870 12ga 5 rounds 3"mag #2 shot. Put 5 more on the receiver or on the stock. Use one reload one, although I dont really think it would be necessary.
Better still, use 2 3/4" inch shells (or 2 1/2" if your gun will feed them reliably.) You may pick up an extra shell in magazine capacity that way.

Vibe
September 2, 2009, 04:01 PM
Vern. I'm seriously thinking of trying to get the Mossy 500 to feed the 1-3/4" #1B/#4B duplex loads that Aguila makes, for just that reason. Low recoil, same velocity, "standard" mag tube holds 8 or 9 rounds. Fewer pellets, true, but at HD ranges, most all of them will connect.

Vern Humphrey
September 2, 2009, 04:07 PM
If my Ithaca would feed them reliably, I'd use the 1 3/4" shells, too. In fact, I might just take some old hulls I have lying around and see if I can work up a 1 3/4" load that will feed and shoot well.

Turbobuddha
September 2, 2009, 04:28 PM
With a semi auto, the extra mag is more for a malfunction than capacity. Your most likely point of failure is going to be the mag. Murphy likes to pick on the mags. That's really the only reason I carry the spare. New York reload is always nice. Strap on a 38 spl to the ankle, auto loader in the one hand, surefire in the other. If a quick slap and rack doesn't get you back in the game, duck behind cover and grab the back up.

Or ideally, bunker up and wait. I remember when I was younger, my mom would sleep with a 38 snubby under her pillow. If I had to go pee or something in the middle of the night, I was advised to wake her up first by hollerin from my room before heading out. She was a deep sleeper. I nearly wet myself on many occasion waiting for the grumpily reply of all clear.

EvanWilliams
September 2, 2009, 04:37 PM
One mag is enough. Carry a flashlight instead.

kingpin008
September 2, 2009, 04:42 PM
With a semi auto, the extra mag is more for a malfunction than capacity. Your most likely point of failure is going to be the mag. Murphy likes to pick on the mags.

Hallelujah. Someone gets the picture.

That's really the only reason I carry the spare.

Exactly.

Vern Humphrey
September 2, 2009, 04:47 PM
Or ideally, bunker up and wait.
Exactly right. Don't go looking for him, let him come to you. Develop a plan so your family knows what to do, and wait for him in your safe room.

Fryerpower
September 2, 2009, 04:53 PM
Keep one of these by the bed:
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/SKS850-1.html

Lots of room for spare mags, flashlight, gernades, and whatever else you might need.

Great... now I am stuck with the mental image of a guy in tightie-whities and that rig with a pistol in hand going through the house!

-Jim

Jon_Snow
September 2, 2009, 05:01 PM
To paraphrase Louis Awerbuck: On your nightstand should be a gun belt that fits you naked. On that gun belt should be 1) A good holster housing your carry gun, 2) At least one spare mag, 3) A good flashlight, 4) A cell phone, 5) A keychain with your house keys and a glow stick attached to it. This sounded like good advice to me when I heard it. The only thing I would add is a hands-free headset for said cell phone. The idea behind the glowstick/keychain is that once you have your family safely holed up in your bedroom/safe room/whatever, you call 911 and when they tell you that the offices have arrived, you break the glowstick and toss the keys out the window for the officers.

lobo9er
September 2, 2009, 05:02 PM
buy a Cyberdyne Systems Model 101 to stand guard at night that way you'll never be out matched unless your intruder is armed with a T-1000

HoosierQ
September 2, 2009, 05:08 PM
Save your free hand for a flashlight. Unless you are being overrun by a platoon or something, you will be able to defend yourself with the 15 (or 6 for that matter) rounds in the gun you have at hand. In fact, I would suggest that worrying about an extra mag at a time like that would cost you time.

Skip the extra mag. My nightstand gun is a Glock 17 loaded up with 17+1. I don't even have a second mag loaded.

ryan in maine
September 2, 2009, 05:20 PM
I wear a light pair of gym shorts with pockets to bed. Pockets are deep enough to hold a mag and material doesn't interfere with sleep.

eatont9999
September 2, 2009, 05:32 PM
See if you can get it to stay in your waistband while walking.

Werewolf
September 2, 2009, 06:07 PM
Gun, shmun...

Use a real man's weapon! Get a bowie knife, live the knife, become the knife... muhahaha

Or go an easier route. Switch to grenades. 1 ought'a do the trick. Roll that sucker into the room the robbers are in, back away and listen for the oh SH... Laugh, go back to sleep.

lobo9er
September 2, 2009, 06:26 PM
could also hire chuck norris.

for serious now, how about an ankle holster. Maybe an elastic type if theres a such thing.

kingpin008
September 2, 2009, 06:35 PM
I know I keep harping on the importance of the second mag, but I only do so because it shocks me how many of the commenters here seem to be unable to grasp that there are other reasons to carry a second mag with you, besides the possibility of running out of rounds.

Wake up, people. Carrying a second mag isn't important because we think we're going to need millions of rounds to defend our home. It's important because if something goes wrong and the gun locks up, we'll need that spare mag to get things working again.

Is that seriously so hard to grasp?

1KPerDay
September 2, 2009, 06:42 PM
I like Clint Smith's idea of a spare mag, cell phone, and flashlight in a small pouch on a string that you can hang around your neck. IF you decide to go investigate the bump in the night.

Jon_Snow
September 2, 2009, 06:43 PM
Kingpin's right; having a spare mag does not mean you expect to take on 20+ goblins. Every class I've taken that covers malfunctions has said first you tap/rack/bang and if that doesn't work, you swap mags. If you only have one mag, you've severly limited your ability to get back in the fight if you have a malfunction.

hso
September 2, 2009, 06:49 PM
First, don't go looking for trouble, make it come to you. It's your turf, make the bag guy deal with you in a defensive position holding superior firepower.

Second, a pistol is less desirable than a shotgun or compact carbine for almost any situation. Much easier to hang a light off of as well.

Third, a spare magazine if for failures first and extra capacity second. Better to be able to run a failure drill with your hands frozen and your guts knotted in fear than stand there with a light weight club with the thing jams.

Fourth, there are a wide range of spare mag carrier options from the full bat-belt to a simple pouch around the neck. Explore what works for you.

EvanWilliams
September 2, 2009, 07:11 PM
I have learned!!!! That is why I come here.

kingpin008
September 2, 2009, 07:23 PM
1K, Jon, & Hso - thank you fellas for helping me get the point across. Hell, for what it's worth, I totally agree with the folks who don't think you'll need a million rounds to end a fight. That's not my issue. My issue was (and still is) simply having a spare mag handy in case of malfunction. I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees the utility.

chevyforlife21
September 2, 2009, 07:47 PM
i have always wondered if there was an intruder do i throw on pants or just go in my underwear lol. i tend to throw pants on if i think somethin is up i should get rid of that habbit though its not like i want that bad guy to think im rude or something confronting him with just underwear.

smallbore
September 2, 2009, 08:00 PM
Practice, with the gun/mags empty, various ways of carrying the extra mag & stick with the one that works best. Another alternative would be keeping a pump action 12 or 20 ga handy. The 'racking' tends to get my attention.

545days
September 2, 2009, 11:02 PM
Unlike other posters, I have lived this scenario. I slept in the buff at the time (no kids at the time) and answered the call with a Ruger GP100. I didn't feel undergunned with only five rounds when facing a burglar who bore a striking resemblence to Pee-Wee Herman.

THe long version is here:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=382755&highlight=burglary+night

Dr.Rob
September 3, 2009, 02:57 AM
+1 Ryan, for the price of all those doo-dads replacing your boxers/briefs etc with a cheap pair of cotton workout shorts with pockets (courtesy walmart a pair for each day for $30) that you wear to bed instead of underwear.

PandaBearBG
September 3, 2009, 03:47 AM
+ 1 on just practicing shooting with your strong hand and holding the magazine in the other, wether between the fingers or either hand or like a flashlight if you are that worried about it. Forget the extra shorts, holsters, fanny packs etc. You never know when you gotta use your gun and maybe its better to practice with the bare necessaties, YOU + GUN + SPARE MAG + BALL SAVING UNDEROO'S = good to go. Keep it simple, adapt to the situation don't try to complicate an already complicated situation with extra gear and etc.

Mightee1
September 3, 2009, 04:37 PM
I have often wondered this as well. I personally have a Remington 870 Express 12G standing ready next to my bed. If something goes bump in the night, there are 4 in the tube ready to go. I go investigate and if the first three shells are not enough, I can hightail it back to my bedroom (with one shell still left just in case) and baracade myself inside with a box full of shells. Hopefully the other 21 shells in the box will last long enough for the police to get there.

qwik
September 3, 2009, 05:48 PM
I like the tactical hat, earplugs light mag. on hat- - > ready and looking good LOL :what:

jakemccoy
September 4, 2009, 05:27 PM
The answer to the original post is in this video at 1:06.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly_7RF0oJsk&feature=channel_page

Voland
September 5, 2009, 01:02 PM
"Or go an easier route. Switch to grenades. 1 ought'a do the trick. Roll that sucker into the room the robbers are in, back away and listen for the oh SH... Laugh, go back to sleep."

This is probably the best diversion tactic I've heard... This will buy you at least 5 seconds to aim and fire... Mind you I am not advocating using a real grenade... I know that if I saw a grenade come flying in to the room, my first instinct would be to get the heck out of there...

V

jpatterson
September 5, 2009, 01:14 PM
*Cringe* : http://desired-luxury.com/images/big/GMFG%20-%20Glock%20Magazine%20Attachment_1.2.jpg

DAVIDSDIVAD
September 6, 2009, 06:39 PM
I keep a man-purse nearby sometimes.

Tiomoid
September 6, 2009, 07:25 PM
Simple solution: 12 gauge shotgun with extra rounds on the stock.

MisterNoisy
September 6, 2009, 10:21 PM
Maybe there would be a market for tactical underwear, specifically for situations like this. :p

I guarantee that 'Tactical Underwear with integrated mag pouches' would sell well to the mall ninjas.

ChCx2744
September 7, 2009, 03:11 AM
Buy a 9mm Glock and a 33 round magazine. Problem definately solved.

DAVIDSDIVAD
September 7, 2009, 03:39 AM
Well, it might be definately solved, but it sure isn't definitely solved if the 33 mag takes a poop. :D

trimore
September 7, 2009, 07:02 AM
I wear basketball style shorts with pockets. I don't buy any shorts of any kind without pockets.

larryh1108
September 7, 2009, 12:39 PM
i have always wondered if there was an intruder do i throw on pants or just go in my underwear lol. i tend to throw pants on if i think somethin is up i should get rid of that habbit though its not like i want that bad guy to think im rude or something confronting him with just underwear.

Just remember what mom told you.... always wear clean underwear in case you have to go to the hospital! Of course, that could be a moot point if you actually encounter some bad guys.

I wear sweat shorts.... loose like boxers, soft cotton, drawstring waist and about $15 at Wally World. They have 2 front pockets. Oh, easy access too if needed! :D

Vern Humphrey
September 7, 2009, 01:55 PM
Just remember what mom told you.... always wear clean underwear in case you have to go to the hospital!
It was my grandmother -- "If you get hit by a truck and have to go to the hospital."

I would explain that when I saw the truck coming, I would probably soil my underwear anyway.

joeoim
September 7, 2009, 02:38 PM
ScareyH22A

How would you like to be sleeping in the other room knowing that if an intruder came in, I will be grabbing a fully loaded pistol and a spare mag.

"Shot placement", and practice. More important than anything I can think of at the moment.

Joe

Vern Humphrey
September 7, 2009, 02:44 PM
How would you like to be sleeping in the other room knowing that if an intruder came in, I will be grabbing a fully loaded pistol and a spare mag.
I'll be doing the same thing, except I'll be grabbing an Ithaca Model 37 12 gauge with a 20 inch barrel and a butt cuff full of spare ammo.

We need to coordinate our tactics -- so the intruder won't have a chance against us.

joeoim
September 7, 2009, 02:53 PM
" I'll be doing the same thing, except I'll be grabbing an Ithaca Model 37 12 gauge with a 20 inch barrel and a butt cuff full of spare ammo.

We need to coordinate our tactics -- so the intruder won't have a chance against us. "

We need Kevlar PJs, Vern.

Joe

Duo
September 9, 2009, 12:44 AM
four words dude

fifty round glock magazine

seriously, most burglers don't pack heat, if they hear you coming they bail and if you get the drop on them, two rounds after they don't freeze when you tell them to is all you should need.

Vibe
September 9, 2009, 12:24 PM
four words dude

fifty round glock magazine
That's what Calicos are for.

Dravur
September 11, 2009, 05:49 PM
I just keep a jar of blue face paint next to the bed, sleep in the nude...

I jump up, rub some blue on my face, grab the AR-15 next to the bed, run down the stairs yelling FREEEDDDOMMM.

Usually the bad guy faints dead away.

Or I shoot him while he laughs.

Either way, I win.

and if I need a gun with a new mag, I pick up the Glock which is also next to the bed.... A New york reload works the best.

Vern Humphrey
September 11, 2009, 06:02 PM
Get some chemlights -- the substance in them is harmless. Break one and smear the glowing jelly on your body.

You can also get kids to quiet down when they're supposed to be sleeping by smeaing some on your face and bursting into their room yelling "Buga, Buga!!"

(Caution: be sure there are rubber sheets on the bed.)

NMGonzo
September 11, 2009, 10:52 PM
High cap mag on my glock 35 on the dresser

5 round .357 in my robe

young hunter
September 14, 2009, 07:23 AM
Why not just throw on a jacket with a spare mag in the pocket ? It takes about 3 seconds to put on and you are now kinda dressed . Personally I like the idea of waiting for said BG to come to you .

Or what about something like a ruger lcp with a clip on it . it would secure it to your shorts and if your firearm failed you have a quick back up without the possabe problems of changing mags while half asleep in a stressful situation.

1911 Operator
September 16, 2009, 03:15 PM
I was wondering. If I was sleeping in bed and heard someone trying to break in, and I got up to grab my gun, I realized that I would be in my boxers and wouldn't have a place to put my spare mag. (No, that place is not an option.)

Does anyone have a clever idea for this dilemma? Something that doesn't require putting on a belt and holster? Possibly a slip on wrist band thingamabob with a mag pouch sewn in or something?

I know that mag changes would be a lot slower than with a proper mag holder on a gun belt but I'm talking about possibly fighting in my boxers here.
do you really think you'll need a spare mag for home defense?

planning on getting raided by a squadron of assassins or something? :what:

one mag of even just 7 rounds (1911 capacity) is just fine.

people go way overboard on this subject, probably from watching too many action movies lol

maybe they think the south african drug dealers are gonna swoop in with choppers shoot up their trailer (lethal weapon 2) :)

truth is that chances are you will never need to fire a shot in self defense, and if you do, you'll most likely not need more than one or two shots to bring the situation under control.

tunnug
September 16, 2009, 03:47 PM
We had the same discussion at another forum and someones solution was the best one I've ever seen, he made a pouch with three elastic holders sewn inside, in each holder he had a spare mag, a flashlight, and a cell phone, this left the center of the pouch open to set the gun in, the pouch had a long strap so he could hang it from his left shoulder with the pouch on his right hip.

If awakened at night he would grab the pouch off the nightstand and throw it on knowing that it contained everything he needed right at hand, pretty smart I thought.

P.s. the extra mag was because they've been known to mess up/malfunction so you just drop it and try a fresh one.

1911 Operator
September 16, 2009, 04:04 PM
my response was assuming that you're using a tried and proven magazine.

P.s. the extra mag was because they've been known to mess up/malfunction so you just drop it and try a fresh one.

by this reasoning you should also carry an extra gun incase that malfunctions too ;)

Vern Humphrey
September 16, 2009, 04:17 PM
by this reasoning you should also carry an extra gun incase that malfunctions too
And many people do.

But no one has come up with a good reason for not carrying extra ammo. And if you carry extra ammo, there's no good reason for not carrying it already loaded into a spare magazine.

winston smith
September 17, 2009, 01:56 PM
Waiting for page 6. I'd pull on a vest with pockets for my spare 8 round magazine, NVGs and MREs. I can always find water.

1911 guy
September 18, 2009, 04:45 AM
Yeesh. I leave for a couple months and the collective I.Q. here at THR drops.

If you are using a semiautomatic firearm for any kind of serious work, carry a spare magazine. Those of you who don't understand this have obviously not shot enough. Mags will fail, and at the most inopportune times. Five or fifty round capacity, carry a spare.

Kudos to the O.P. for thinking about this prior to an "event" at three in the morning. Rasberries to the "get a Glock with thirty round mag" crowd, who miss the point.

Personally, I have a small fanny-pack type affair that holds magazine, light and phone. Plan A, however, is an AR at the top of the stairs. Yes, it sports a light and I have a spare mag for it, as well. All four of us sleep upstairs and a bed check can be done in about five seconds to verify everyone is up here. Then I post at the top of the stairs with the rifle. Wife has the kids and shotgun at the opposite end of the hall (behind me).

scythefwd
September 18, 2009, 07:15 AM
It's amazing how quickly it's possible to do this. We're talking 10 seconds.

Sorry for the delayed response, but I just read this thread.
That all depends on the house layout and size. 2 guys can kill everything above waist high in my house in 10 -15 seconds. Might take them 10 more to get the dogs in there with them. Could you put your shorts on with gunfire going on in that time? I have checked, and at a normal pace, I can walk into every room of my house and identify the people in it in less than 30 seconds. I have a 1400 sq ft house, so it isn't huge, but it also isn't tiny. 400 sq ft of my house can be seen from the back door, which would eliminate the need to go through half of my house. Then again, you wouldn't see my dogs from that angle either until you shined a flashlight in and woke them up :) 85 lbs of grumpy American Staffordshire Terrier / American Bull Dog mix is not a a sight you want surprising you.

rbernie
September 18, 2009, 09:45 AM
I've endured well over a hundred posts of this thread, and sadly in all of that I'm seeing a lot of back-n-forth and not a lot of useful data. There are occasional nuggets of sanity, but sadly not much.

First - don't be walking around nekkid clearing your house. It's a dumb idea, both from the 'walkin' around' part and the 'being nekkid' part. If you cannot hole up and let the intruder come to you, and you are too embarrassed to call 911 and let THEM clear the house for you, then make the time to get geared up. Running out of the bedroom armed-n-nekkid is not the smartest approach to the problem, and it generally indicates that you've not made the time to actually assess what's going on. Being that reactive is occasionally needed (e.g. hearing screams from elsewhere in the house) but generally not.

Second - carrying backup for consumables is never a bad idea. It's not just about round capacity - it's also about clearing malfunctions. Many times, the easiest FASTEST path to clearing specific semiauto malfs is to drop/replace the magazine as part of the drill. If you don't have a replacement mag, then it pretty much will suck to be you.

----

I've decided to close this thread at this point. Y'all simply need to move along and try to actually add value to the discussions instead of engaging in endless low-signal banter. The goal here is supposed to be the sharing of knowledge - not water cooler quality jive.

If you enjoyed reading about "Most likely a stupid question waiting for a stupid answer..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!